Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lum_ posted:

They've also had commanders quoted as saying the only differences between them and Guderian's Wehrmacht are that they won't persecute Jews and they won't lose.

I tried googling the key words and checking some old news archives, but relevant key words only got me Amiram Levin and Yair Golan. Both Israeli Army generals.

One news article in English:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ex-idf-general-likens-military-control-of-west-bank-to-nazi-germany/

quote:

Former IDF General and Mossad Chief likening IDF's oppression on West Bank to the Nazi Regime and stating that "IDF is rotten to the core... just like Guderian can't claim to be a decent general of a clean wehrmacht... there hasn't been democracy in Judea and Samaria in 57 years. These people (referring to the settlers) do not know what democracy is..."

(Loose translation from several sources, could be slightly wrong).

The other IDF General saying Wehrmacht and Guderian was Yair Golan

quote:

"If there is one thing that is scary in remembering the Holocaust, it is noticing horrific processes which developed in Europe – particularly in Germany – 70, 80, and 90 years ago, and finding remnants of that here (in Israel) among us in the year 2016....

...Guderian's Wehrmacht level crimes..."

Neither seem to be what you mean. Got a link?

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Gaza and West Bank don’t get voting rights exactly because they’d change the fundamental political landscape. It wouldn’t be enough for total rule, but it would be a huge swing in any case in the Knesset.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Thus the apartheid implementation of forcing Palestinian "citizenship" in powerless cantons while Israeli settlers grab all the actual worthwhile land. Terming Israel an apartheid state is valid given they're precisely following the South African bantustan model.

Yeah, and lol, ”Palestinian” ”citizenship” until it’s time for a passport and now Israel controls it again.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Most US news sites also have lots of articles about Palestinian suffering and stories about kids dying. That feels different from last times.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also, clashes and disagreements did not start at the birth of Israel.
The old Yishuv refers to the pre-1880 Jewish population, and the Haganah had been there since the 20s. And even farther back, at Petah Tikva and other places there were jewish settlements that had clashes and peace periods with various local communities.

During 1936 and 1939 in the Arab Revolt, the Haganah even engaged in official "do not retaliate"-policy and avoided violence against arabs, and used force to try to force Irgun and Lehi and other Zionist wackos to not attack Arabs.

It didn't simply start in May 14 of 1948.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 10, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Larger jewish immigration began in 1880 already based on the rise of Zionism, but the place wasn't exactly a model of stability. The uprising of 1834, etc, and the late 1800s zionists also fueled the strife more.

The british administration, or sad attempt of it, in the Mandatory Palestine era didn't help, but it's a bit too simple to assign the origin to be there. Arguably you could even say that Brits were a somewhat positive force on the issue by kicking Egypt out in 1840 when Egypt was knee deep in mass murdering arab villages in the revolt suppression. The British put a stop for the most part to that.
And even before the wave of zionists in 1880, the area saw clashes of small jewish villages duking it out with local arab populations and vice versa.

And for what it is worth, from the pre-Israel time, Haganah is definitely considered to be the "best" option out of all the Jewish militias, since the alternatives were bands like Irgun. Irgun had genocide explicitly as a policy, Haganah only had secretive small squads do hosed up poo poo, and Haganah was capable of negotiation and peace with the Arabs.

Irgun was compared to Nazis during and right after WW2, by members of Haganah itself, and by many early israeli power figures.

Fun fact, Likud can trace its heritage to Irgun.

quote:

Ha'aretz columnist and Israeli historian Tom Segev wrote of the Irgun: "In the second half of 1940, a few members of the Irgun Zvai Leumi (National Military Organization) – the anti-British terrorist group sponsored by the Revisionists and known by its acronym Etzel, and to the British simply as the Irgun – made contact with representatives of Fascist Italy, offering to cooperate against the British."[87]

Clare Hollingworth, the Daily Telegraph and The Scotsman correspondent in Jerusalem during 1948 wrote several outspoken reports after spending several weeks in West Jerusalem:

Irgun is in fact rapidly becoming the 'SS' of the new state. There is also a strong 'Gestapo' – but no-one knows who is in it.
'The shopkeepers are afraid not so much of shells as of raids by Irgun Zvai Leumi and the Stern Gang. These young toughs, who are beyond whatever law there is have cleaned out most private houses of the richer classes & started to prey upon the shopkeepers.'

— Clare Hollingworth reporting on West Jerusalem June 2, 1948

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 10, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There’s also lots of towns in Israel that have had Jewish inhabitants since like, forever.

Not every Israeli village is directly taken from Arabs and it’s unfortunately implied by some that any jewish dwelling is stolen.

Jews had districts or villages in Jerusalem, Safed, Tiberias, and Hebron. Also Jaffa, Haifa, Peki'in, Acre, Nablus, Shfaram, and Gaza, on the larger side. Various small rural settlements or family dwellings beyond those, too.

Just as an example Jews inhabited Peki’in since the Second Temple, and were displaced by the Arab Revolt in 1936. To insinute this place to be ”stolen from Palestinians” (whatever would be meant by that) would be weapons grade erasure.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 10, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The propaganda is funny but Hamas has very real and extensive tunnel works. They themselves have hyped that poo poo from videos. There’s several smuggling tunnels that go miles past any walls and link up with smuggling sites overland.

They’re not some incompetent murder hobos. You don’t have to hand it to Israel to acknowledge that Hamas has impressive tunnel systems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Are we even sure that that’s where the cars were parked the night of the festival or is it possible that they were moved with heavy equipment?

That is actually a great point. I had not even considered it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

This in no way is justification for BBC not including the full clip, but she does say the line in a clip few minutes from this, here:
https://fxtwitter.com/Alaqsavoice_Brk/status/1728116500823720372

Also, the green text, which implies "correct" translation, is not literal either. Now, like I said, it doesn't justify the omission of the timetable from the quote, but also when you are nitpicking a translation, it's imperative to be correct yourself. My Arabic is pretty rudimentary, and I have to listen to it many times, but for example I think she says ""they poisoned us for a month"" instead of "imprisoned us".

The correct journalistic take would be to emphasize your quote is out of sync with the person speaking, summarizing a point, instead of making it appear as a direct quotation. I don't quite think it to be purely intentional from BBC since they are well aware Arabic isn't a rare language. Seems like the source here sucks.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think that's a pretty narrow view on the realpolitik side of it.

While not exactly friendly, Israel still offers a counterbalance to Syrian government forces, and generally does not harbor the geopolitical opponents of US and EU. It also has provided plenty of testing for weapon systems in combat against its neighbors, and can be trusted to an extent to not sell that poo poo forward. That's just to name a few.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys remember that IDF doofus who pointed at the normal calendar with days of the week written on it and said that's a list of terrorist operatives?

Turns out that guy is an Admiral and is the head of their version of the navy seals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Hagari

The fact that the guy who runs their special forces program cant even read arabic to know what the days of the week is, in a place where every enemy he faces speaks the same language with a little farsi, really ought to tell you why the IDF got clowned on.

He speaks arabic. As do you, from what I understand. I also do understand you don't speak ad-Dārija or Shami. But still, I doubt you would not have encountered what I'll write about.

Some calendars are written left to right in the Levant and North Africa. Not all, I'm not an expert, but the video just isn't as damning about his language skill as some imply. That means that given a RTL calendar, it can still be a natural gesture to point LTR. I don't think you intend malice, but essentially this kind of internet commenting implies that people living in the multicultural pot like Israel are somehow not even fluent in their own native language, and thus point the wrong way? It comes off tonedeaf. In Israel, if your school is Hebrew speaking, you learn Arabic from 7th to 9th grade, and voluntarily until 12th, and you can matriculate in it also. If you go to Arabic school, it's reversed with Hebrew from 7th to 9th grade, voluntary until 12th, etc.

While not everyone becomes fluent in Arabic, as secondary languages don't often stick anywhere, I don't think you'd find anyone who went to school in Israel to believe Arabic is written left to right. (Also the guy speaks Arabic). Government documents also have to be written in Arabic as it is an auxiliary language, and IDF requires basic Arabic lessons in Basic Training. Officers generally take more Arabic lessons, and SOF and INtel units even more. Several IDF units speak Arabic in daily activity.

Knesset allows Arabic as language of discussion, too.

In the calendar in this video:

Numbers are written left to right, while it's sequenced right to left. How would you point this out if you'd walk your finger over it?

He's still just pointing out stupid weekdays, which is stupid, there's no terrorist names on it. Dude speaks arabic, and also, he is a native hebrew speaker, right to left is his native way of writing, even when numbers and sometimes calendars are read from left to right.

In this text, the numbers are 107, 68, and 236.
They are not 701, 86, and 632.

When the numbers get embedded in text, contemporary semitic languages read numbers (sometimes calendars, or sequential information, too) from left to right, and then transit over that block back to reading right to left.

In Hebrew, the question of which layout to use is a common UI design problem. They can lay them out either way.

Left to right Islanic Calendar:

Edit: Just asked my Palestinian arabic teacher on to comment, he said the pointing is natural, but dude's an idiot because he knows what it doesn't say and what does it say (confirmed)

This is also not even counting how immersed Arabic is in daily life beyond government and military life:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 28, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

military made up of mostly conscripts with little training and combat training

This framing is wrong.

Conscript doesn't necessarily mean poorly trained, especially in Israel where it's 2 years and 8 months for men and 2 years for women, with some roles having mandatory extensions, and senior NCOs and officers above lieutenants being careerist. Not only that, with Israeli Air Force Flight Academy training pilots and navigators, including chopper pilots, for three years at which point they enter their specialization course for 6 to 12 months, where they'd then learn to fly the Apache. Israeli pilot training is rigorous by worldwide standards, and provides much higher than average number of flight hours compared to many other countries. Some 300-400 per year, compared to 200 per year in many others. Current USAF UPT lands at roughly 180-220 for the one year.

The people flying the Apaches aren't some rinky dinky militiamen who learned to fly last week.

That doesn't mean that they could not have let some cannon fire on civilians, but your descriptors are flat out wrong and give a completely false idea.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 30, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Strongly depends on what you define as "stolen Palestinian land." If you look at the 1967 borders and say "this is a fair and equitable distribution of land, Israel deserves this." then sure, the Kibbutzes are not on stolen Palestinian land, and we would proceed to greatly disagree on the matter. Also several of them are in the occupied West Bank, which makes it even more clear cut.

Some jewish settlements are where they were since the second temple.

1967 did not start Jewish villages. Neither did 1947. Neither did Haganah in the 1920s.

There’s Jewish settlements that stretch back to early 1800, and some that go as far back as the literal second Temple.

A lot of land has been obtained by combat and seizure, and it’s created untold suffering and moral injustices.

But that does not mean that every part that has jews living in it is somehow illegitimate or stolen.

There were 200,000 jews before a major wave of zionists even arrived there.

The end of 1800s had 5 percent of Palestine’s residents identifying as jewish.

This part of history of Palestine and Israel is referred to as the Old Yishuv, as contrast to Zionism.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 1, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

BUUNNI posted:

Didn't they also like literally sterilize Ethiopian Jews lol

Some of the Ethiopian Jews got non-consensual Depo-Provera shots but no sterilization afaik.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Luceid posted:

I disagree. Israel is an occupying force and a genocidal ethnostate, and should be forcibly dismantled! The violence visited upon the occupying force, of which the armed settlers are part of, is justified and 10/7 was justified too. Your response?

If tbe state is dismantled, where should the citizens go?

Who gets the area?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here’s a non-paywall.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-war-personnel-false-information-7-october-attack

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

lightpole posted:

Even Isreal shouldn't have an interest due to the dangers of unstable neighbors.

I'm not sure that the current Israeli government is purely practical and calculative.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I would be utterly unsurprised if they do build a port, that the US will voluntarily hand it over to the Israelis to use as another point of entry to hit the Palestinians from.

Israel does not need to get on boats to get to Gaza. They're already in Gaza, and are essentially free to maneuver anywhere in there. I urge some general analysis of practicalities before catastrophizing into really weird Biden Bad-scenarios.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Israel doesn't need most of the support it's been getting, it hasn't stopped America providing it. And as you know, Biden's just said that the Israelis will be in de facto control of it. So I don't really get where your argument comes from. It's building an ingress point and giving it to the genocidal fucks who are currently attacking the Palestinians.

You made this "prediction" in another thread so imma quote myself:

Reported Israeli troop movements last updated today at Financial Times.
The limits of advance are not prevented by any kind of conventional military force creating a front line or anything, but rather the Israeli Army doing whatever the gently caress it does (crimes) and advancing slowly. Where do you intend in your scenario that they're gonna sail to? Cyprus? Where's the "ingress point" gonna be here? Are the troops in Gaza going to go to a harbor and then get on ships and then disembark in Gaza?

https://www.ft.com/content/42bbe534-8a0d-4ba8-9cc6-f84936d87196

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also when israel wants to not kill a bunch of civilians, they can totally do that. They just really don't give a gently caress about Palestinians.
Also looks like they didn't wanna nail the historic building next to the consulate:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The World Central Kitchen attack had three brits who died. One SBS member and two royal marines, evidently as security.

They were also responsible for literally coordinating with the IDF about their vehicle movements.

It was no accident.

*attacked 3 times in well-labelled vehicles, each time a mile apart as they dragged their injured colleagues from each vehicle as they were bombed one by one. Murdered, deliberately, and targeted three times. Not just 'killed'.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

Do we have any Palestinians on this site? I'm not certain Ive ever seen someone make that claim in the past 20+ years.

There are some.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Israel's expeditionary capability has always been limited, by design. A war with Iran that isn't that an aerial slapfight would probably take a significant effort.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Low intensity fuckery isn't exactly new to warfare or world history. It just looks a bit different, but before the modern times we saw border raids, various local insurgencies being fermented, loving with trade ships on the other side of the globe, dueling for port access with violence and money, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They also, even when bombs aren’t falling at them at this rate, get their voting rights denied, their citizenship denied or rendered meaningless (”East Jerusalem” vs ”Jerusalem”), and their movement controlled or outright blocked. It’s ethnic cleansing and right now probably its most historically intense phase.

”The only democracy in the Middle East” that denies franchise for millions of people.

Calling Hamas an evil prison gang and asking right after why there’s a big prison is very clever and I’ll steal it.