Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Grip it and rip it posted:

But maybe... this time...?

I mean, it worked out pretty well for us in WW2, all the times after that we didnt do the WC thing and we lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You didn't do war crimes in Viet Nam? Who taught you english, Josef Stalin?

Personally? No I wasnt born until 87.

To more pointedly answer your question. The general notion of "war crimes" has been applied as early as 1474 in the holy roman empire. Today's notion stems from the 1949 geneva convention common article 3.

But even then its a treaty, and treaties are only applicable between signatories.

Under IHL, anyone who is not a combatant is considered a civilian.138 Reserve or off-duty soldiers are considered civilians unless they take part directly in hostilities, or become subject to military command. Civilians lose their civilian protection if they directly participate in armed hostilities, but only during the period of that participation; they regain civilian status once they are no longer directly engaged in hostilities.

138 Under article 50(1) of Protocol I a civilian is defined as someone who is not a member of any organized armed forces of a party to a conflict. The same article adds that "[i]n cases of doubt whether a person is a civilian, that person shall be considered to be a civilian." Under article 51(3), civilians that directly participate in hostilities lose civilian protection for the duration of such participation.

Seems like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

bulletsponge13 posted:

If you want to be technical, the idea of war crimes started with organized warfare. They weren't formalized, but they existed. The idea of civilians in warfare is relatively recent; in conflict throughout history, the civilian populace was part of the conflict- and pay- of the armies.

War Crimes involve more than civilains, and civilians deaths aren't always a war crime, so I'm a little confused on that. If civilians are killed in a legitimate hit against legitimate targets, it isn't a war crime. And that ignores the reality of irregular warfare, where forces may not be uniformed. America with it's GWOT also created a new Grey area of the legal treatment of 'enemy combatants' which gives the precedents for others to follow. That's before we get into the intricacies of the conflict itself.

Also, not sure if you were being sarcastic about your US War Crimes synopsis, but uh...we are the loving Pros at it. There isn't a single country or conflict the US entered into that didn't have the US commit pretty deplorable poo poo- our history makes it look like bombing civilians is a hobby. WW2 was practice, post WW2 was the game. Reminder- the US has a law that we will bomb the loving ICC of they attempt to arrest/try any American. It was passed in 2003 to protect US leadership from consequences of Iraq and AFG. I can't think of a single war where the US didn't violate the agreed upon laws of warfare.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the strike group didnt just enter the med to distribute flowers.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
This is going to be total war. I don't see either side stopping until the other is gone.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

That Works posted:

Without regard for collateral damage

Well that's what happens when they use human shields...

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Quackles posted:

So I have to ask. Where does that put the US in this?

Honestly? I don't know. Right now I think we are floating off the coast as a deterrent to any other Muslim nation who'd otherwise get involved. Hamas has already called for "An international day of Jihad" for this Friday. This is 100% a religious war. Hamas seeks the complete destruction of the Israeli people. At this level of warfare morality and notions of war crimes go right out the window for the parties involved. Best scenario is to just let them fight it out. Iran and Saudi are holding talks, which is basically unprecedented. This also sets dangerous precedence if we do nothing for an ally under siege. This could give China the signal to attack Taiwan if they think we will do nothing.

Best case, they fight it out amongst themselves and eventually one nation as a whole surrenders.

Worst case? Mid east, China, and Russia team up for WW3.

If anything the post WW2 conflicts have shown us that the only way to win is to either outlast the offense's resolve and beat them politically as their civilian population gets bored with the conflict or commit so much excessive violence the civilian populous of the defender demands the military stop. When its just the military taking the hits and no impact to civilians there's no reason for either side to stop. You get the same meat grinder never ending in that scenario.

Once you understand the doctrine of Taqyyia you stop even humoring Islamic media for accurate reports.

Arione fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 13, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
drat, these lego kits get more realistic every year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hey yo duder this is some pretty racist "can't trust those wily Muslims cause their religion orders them to lie and deceive infidels" poo poo. Lots of media in the Arabic world is lovely, but so is lots of media coming out of Israel and Europe and Russia and India and the US and every-goddamn-where else on the planet.

Taqiya just means that if someone wants to kill you for being Muslim, it's okay to pretend you're not Muslim to avoid getting killed until you can get somewhere safe. IE martyrdom is not compulsory.

You do understand the difference between race and religion right? Not all Arabs are muslims and not all muslims are arabs.

How Taqiyya Alters Islam's Rules of War Defeating Jihadist Terrorism

https://www.iwp.edu/ibrahim-how-taqiyya-alters-islams-rules-of-war/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)