Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I have the firefox add-on that removes ads on youtube completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just need a few copies of Sims 3 and we're sorted. :thumbsup:

So much madness.

I'm sure they'll dig up some Mein Kampfs

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

According to the reporting the Qatari govt played an important role in the agreement to get hostages released. I'm not discounting US involvement but I doubt they were the only one to attribute this to.

Edit: actually it seems like the deal was brokered by Qatar, Egypt and the US

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internati..._6278550_4.html

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 26, 2023

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Qatar pays a big bill every month to keep the people of Gaza alive and openly funds Hamas, not to mention it's public knowledge that they house Hamas leadership. Egypt has the border through which the aid goods and the weapons for Hamas flow. They have leverage

The US on the other hand has no leverage over Hamas aside from actively joining in the genocide.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

psydude posted:

The US has no leverage over Hamas, but it has substantial influence over Israel. And the Biden administration had been very vocally advocating for the hostage exchange and ceasefire during the negotiations. I'm sure privately they were putting it much more bluntly.

I'm not at all disputing that. I was pointing out that the US alone had no way to bring Hamas to the table, it needed Qatar and Egypt.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Grip it and rip it posted:

Because they provide significant mid-east intel and also sell us information they learn about our peer competitors. The USA has deep pockets and will likely deal with any honest broker that's money motivated, because we have the deepest pockets. Presumably whatever the cost of these interactions are, US intelligence has decided they're worth it.

Also backstabbing generally requires concealing your intentions, which I don't think Bibi and co ever have.

I'm gonna need you to back this up, especially the intelligence sharing part. Or why the US would even care about most of the intel short of anything on Iran.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

So, no consequence. Just a "signal"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/08/1218332312/israel-hamas-war-us-ceasefire-veto-un

So much for "sending a signal"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

psydude posted:

The Germans, Dutch, and Danes foiled two separate plots to attack synagogues and other Jewish institutions. The Germans are specifically linking it to Hamas.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-netherlands-arrest-4-over-hamas-plot/a-67724305

https://www.dw.com/en/denmark-says-4-arrested-over-suspected-terror-plot/a-67723150

They say they foiled the attacks, a Dutch article claims they didn't even have weapons for an attack.

quote:

De Duitse justitie zegt dat een van de vier arrestanten dit jaar op verzoek van Hamas op zoek is gegaan naar een ondergrondse wapenopslaglocatie. Hij zou zijn opdrachten hebben gekregen van Hamas-leiders in Libanon. Drie van de vier mannen gingen volgens justitie meermaals vanuit Berlijn op zoek naar wapens, met als doel het plegen van aanslagen op Joodse instellingen in Europa.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501581-opgepakte-rotterdamse-terreurverdachte-volgens-duitse-justitie-lid-van-hamas

Another article claims that the Danish/German/Dutch investigation was started after a tip from Mossad.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501721-terreurverdachte-rotterdam-blijft-in-cel-verbazing-over-hamas-aanslagplan

In all I'm not sure how to feel about this. I don't think the Israeli's are credible as a source and there hasn't been a Palestinian attack in Europe since the 80s(?), but I also think Dutch police did at least some due diligence.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2023

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

The key point from the quote in Dutch is that they didn't manage to find the cache, and in another article it's said that the police didn't either.

quote:

Dat wapendepot zou begin dit jaar zijn aangelegd, om te gebruiken voor aanslagen op Joodse instanties in Europa. Zowel de Palestijnse mannen als de politie zijn er niet in geslaagd het wapendepot te vinden, melden Duitse media.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501721-terreurverdachte-rotterdam-blijft-in-cel-verbazing-over-hamas-aanslagplan

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Sure, stop the sale to Ukraine, sell to those poor Israeli's instead.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I really disagree that the US wouldn't support this, and neither that the US gives a gently caress about the stability in the region because there's a well established history of them not giving a gently caress that goes back to the iran-iraq war at the least.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Qatar openly supports and funds Hamas (and Gaza)(and for people who don't even know where the Gaza strip and West Bank are, also with permission from Israel), and Hamas leadership in Qatar is not exactly in hiding.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

What in the goddamn gently caress are you talking about.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It was the sort of random screed I associate with drug use, not an attempt at humor.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Borscht posted:

Why the gently caress is America financing this poo poo?

You must be new here

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

That's more or less what happened to Gaza

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Don't be ridiculous. The reason the international response has been what it is, is because the pressure is real. And that the added costs of shipping are real. And the fact there's a bunch of warships in the Red Sea shooting at Yemen is real.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

There's plenty times where you stay loyal to your friends, even if you think they're being dicks. I wouldn't try to reach too much into it.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

The US carrying out a bunch of strikes on Iran is one thing. Putting boots on the ground and effecting a change in leadership is a very different thing. I've no doubt that the US could run a train over Iran if it wanted to but the current head of the executive seems to understand that fighting against a massive insurgent force in a country of 90 million people is not what the US should attempt to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Israel has no hope of accomplishing any military action against Iran other than dropping bombs and shooting missiles, ditto for Iran. There have been Israeli attacks on Iran before, without any consequences for Israel, and I don't see why they would start now. Most dislike Iran.