Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

Gotta say, an ouroboros of "what if we responded to war crimes with our own war crimes" does not lead to great results.

But maybe... this time...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I mean, I hate Israel as much as the next Jew, but Jesus gently caress some of you people have some brain worms Re: Israel.

I know it’s not antisemitism, you folks aren’t like that, but goddamn.

You think that all 1500 of the reported killed Hamas Troops were actual combatants?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s loving Hamas.

It’s also loving Israel.

They suck, hard. Both sides even, g-d help me for saying it.

But Hamas isn’t just homegrown anti Israeli terrorism, and the parts that aren’t homegrown are pretty awful.

Now take everything I said and find/replace with Israel because goddamn is the corollary is true.

The worst part to me? This is a democracy. Israel is a democracy. There is no such thing as good governments on long enough time lines.

God I hope this ends as quickly as it began, but I doubt very much so that it does.

Yeah, it's important to remember that the Israeli government only really represents a plurality of its voting citizens, and even then there have been massive demonstrations against the policy proposals that they have attempted to shoehorn through since the start of this decade.

The reality is that anytime a war breaks out, it's absolutely a failure on multiple levels for reason to carry the day. People that thirst for warfare are universally idiots, and the people who suffer the most are always going to be the most vulnerable.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Arione posted:

I mean, it worked out pretty well for us in WW2, all the times after that we didnt do the WC thing and we lost.

ah yes, the Korean war. An engagement notable for its lack of war crimes.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The media narrative does appear to be bending towards "total war against Palestine is warranted" . Whether that will be the consensus in the end or not will likely determine the outcome for an entire region of people.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ASAPI posted:

That is a mind boggling amount of ordinance.

Hopefully the Republicans in the house will keep their heads up their asses long enough to miss the window to resupply Israel with ordinance. This poo poo is sickening

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The US so loved the civilians in its occupied territories that it killed a nice round million of them.

Ukraine, Iraq, Syria, etc etc. Wars harm civilians en mass.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

This poo poo is so gross. At least the US is doing something. Sadly I think it's going to be far, far too little.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
This poo poo is nauseating

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Israel has the US backing it on the UN security council so it's essentially immune to international law

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

I find it hard to believe that Israel the country with multiple cyber warfare, intelligence and espionage agencies didn't know what they were doing

You think they're intentionally injecting graphic ads into children's cellphone games? To what end?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wow that all definitely sounds more reasonable and likely than the advertising landscape for cellphone games being an unregulated mess.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lol that dude doing a self bleeping thing is about as annoying as any youtube practice I've ever seen. holy smokes

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Lum_ posted:

That is such a non-starter politically in the US there are literally some state laws prohibiting BDS-style boycotts of Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-BDS_laws#Anti-BDS_laws_in_the_United_States

Those laws aren't the reason why BDS won't happen in the USA. They are a solid reflection of the fact that there is little to no popular appetite to engage with BDS, however.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
"I am composed entirely of bigot spit, nut, and sweat." - A real Columbia student in 2023

Edit: Jesus I just watched that video. Israel can gently caress off with its critiques of American college campuses. Who could have thought thats a good idea?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 6, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bloody ghost titty posted:

Former deputy chief of staff to the Israeli military on BBC just now comparing Hamas to 1945 Nazis...this...feels bad? Like, quiet part loud bad?

More like completely delusional.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Lum_ posted:

I’m not sure why it’s seen as unthinkable that Israelis would be averse to living in a multi-ethnic state given that the whole reason given for its founding is to protect Jews from annihilation. Given that Hamas just did a pretty good job of annihilating people for the few hours they had control over majority-Jewish areas, that’s going to be an even harder sell for a while.

Palestine pre-Israel was one of the friendlier regions for jews at the start of the 20th century. You don't get to found a modern state and decide it has to be ethnically homogenous. That's the legacy of the holocaust in the western world. So adverse or not, either you deal or you become the same kind of evil pariah that is supposed to unite the rest of the world in opposition.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
All of this goes to how I don't have an opinion on Zionism or the state of Israel or whatever. I just don't want the US paying for it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

At the same time, the widely shared video of an Israeli airstrike hitting what is quite obviously a munitions cache next to the hospital is being reported in major news outlets (including the Guardian) without that important context.

Like, I don't expect people like the dude gushing over the Hamas propaganda film earlier in the thread to understand what secondary detonations are. But news outlets have less of an excuse, especially after covering the Ukraine war for the past two years.

got a link?

Alchenar posted:

Everyone trying to claim that Israel or Hama's always wanted this is completely off the mark. This is a classic case study in uncontrolled escalation: Hamas had catastrophic success in their attack and public sentiment in Israel has shifted so much that the only course the government can take is one of overwhelming retaliation.

Nobody wanted this a month ago but now it is the only possible course.

I don't really buy this. The whole point of the attack was to provoke a response - Bibi's government are known to be stupid, reckless, and violent. I don't think Hamas could have been so obtuse as to not realize that their attack would absolutely bring us to where we are today. I would guess that the entire intent is to force Israel to speed up it's timetable for their slow motion genocide in Gaza in an effort to show the world how brutal and ugly the Israeli regime actually is. In their mind there is no point in simply waiting a few generations for this same process to unfold in a manner that the international community can stomach. Better to force the world watch the endgame and suffer the outcome, whatever it may be.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 10, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It seems like only the strike near the Indonesia hospital hit any kind of ammo dump? But they also bombed near 2 other locations that didn't generate those kind of secondary explosions.

I mean there has been significant coverage of the IDF claiming they're doing everything they can do to minimize civilian deaths and the like. Just because some of these strikes are strategically significant doesn't compensate for the fact that entire city blocks have been razed imo. The point is that there are other means of conducting this war besides bombing everything to smithereens, but Israel would rather blow up all the civilians than risk their own troops.

The fact that their efforts are actively terrorizing a population of a million or so people also doesn't seem to make any kind of difference to the israeli government. The very same people who have stated that they keep Hamas in power in order to control what happens in Gaza.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 10, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Alchenar posted:

Every serious commentator converged rapidly on the obvious aim which was to derail Israeli normalisation with Saudi Arabia and make the point that Israel cannot go forwards in the world without the Palestine issue being resolved.

The miscalculation is that Hamas forgot they they are not synonymous with Palestine and that nobody other than Iran really wants them to exist. They wanted a fight, they didn't want an existential struggle.

Why wouldn't they? Isn't the entire point that the conditions in gaza were untenable? By forcing this reaction they're shifting international perspectives on the entire issue and gradually making Israel a pariah

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Alchenar posted:

Okay I'm responding specifically to the claim that this was a deliberate attempt to provoke a gotterdammerung style final battle over the status of Gaza. Which it absolutely was not.

e: also the Palestinian people might be desperate, but it does an enormous disservice to the leadership of Hamas to just wave your arms and say the October 7th attacks were an act of despair. It was a well planned and deliberate act with a strategy behind it and I don't think it's useful not to engage with the reality of that.

I don't think it was despair, I think it was a calculated move to force the issue, regardless of the collateral consequences. The plight and suffering of Palestinians wasn't enough to get the international community involved, so they figured that the reaction they would provoke might do the job.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like an obvious consequence of the "journalist participation" misinfo that was pasted all over twitter.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's plenty of real atrocities in war bud. You don't need to, again, come to the defense of imaginary ones because it would make your team look better.

Do you post anything that isn't vitriolic poo poo stirring?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

not really but its more honest work than unquestioningly reposting reheated propaganda we got hit with two decades ago

Constantly making bad taith interpretations and getting histrionic doesn't really add anything to the conversation to be had, other than making this board more closely resemble twitter or Facebook.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but how does hijacking a ship leased by a Japanese company that was transporting cars from Turkey to India deny Israel their ports and hurt their economy? I could see if the ship was bound for an Israeli port, maybe.

It's not effective beyond maybe diverting the property on-board to fund things, I would think.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

apropos of nothing, is there some sort of realpolitik reason for Biden to support Israel? it doesnt seem like they'd have much to offer the US strategically. do we want to keep them on goodish terms to outsource spying on the iranians to them? or is it more that he expects AIPAC to do collective punishment of the democrats if a democrat president raises their ire. idk if AIPAC's bullshit would reasonably be a threat to the presidential campaign

Israel is an immensely useful democratic ally in the Middle East that has a modern economy that is deeply interwoven with the US economy. Palestine is uh...none of those things

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mrmcd posted:

https://twitter.com/Yonatan_Touval/status/1729222287780368460

Bibi very loudly and obviously bragging about how he loves to stab the US in the back and he'll do it again, and Biden is like "thank you sir I love you."

How ia what he's describing stabbing the US in the back?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mrmcd posted:

By stating he has no intention of pursuing a two state solution or any Palestinian state (a nominally American policy goal and requirement) and "managing" the American president to do whatever they want and still get their money and bombs.

That just sounds like politics? Successfully achieving your political aims while managing blowback? Also about half of America wants to increase the amount of military aid we give to Israel

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 28, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mrmcd posted:

Yes politics often involves backstabbing.

The question is why the US continues to treat Likud and Israel and trustworthy and useful partners when they openly brag about how they will not hold up their end of any bargains.

Because they provide significant mid-east intel and also sell us information they learn about our peer competitors. The USA has deep pockets and will likely deal with any honest broker that's money motivated, because we have the deepest pockets. Presumably whatever the cost of these interactions are, US intelligence has decided they're worth it.

Also backstabbing generally requires concealing your intentions, which I don't think Bibi and co ever have.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dance Officer posted:

I'm gonna need you to back this up, especially the intelligence sharing part. Or why the US would even care about most of the intel short of anything on Iran.

If you do a search for "us israel intelligence relationship" you'll find many many sites discussing the intelligence relationship between the US and Israel, including their status as a non-NATO ally. There are also a ton of history books on the region that discuss collaborations between US and Israeli intelligence, particularly during the cold war and during different mideast flare-ups.

It's also suggested by the fact that we provide them huge amounts of military aid and seemingly look the other way when they engage in espionage against the US.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 28, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I'm not sure inertia is really a fair descriptor of the circumstances. Palestine isn't a viable alternative for the types of services and economic activity that Israel currently generates. There is also a major political risk to cutting Israel off.

It's a country that has enjoyed immense popularity in the USA since it's founding. Both Soviet and American agencies were deeply interested in gaining a foothold in Israel during the cold war, a condition that allowed them to "play both sides" effectively to secure international aid and leverage in the UN.

It's also a country that could very easily destabilize the ME even further, should it feel the need to, and likely conduct an effective war against just about all of it's neighbors (at least that is what was believed previously). It's a nuclear power, which definitively further skews the board in its favor when it comes to interacting with the International Community at large.

The cost of no longer supporting israel could very well be a broader humanitarian crisis in the region through the onset of war or even further expanded conflicts, up to and including a nuclear exchange. The state of Israel has a lot of cards that it could potentially play, and likely would be forced to if the USA allowed the UN to follow through with some binding resolutions.

In essence, disengaging from Israel would be a massively risky and complex process of the USA. Continuing to support them is becoming politically unpalpable, but the costs of doing so appear to be much less significant. So from the RealPolitik perspective you continue to do so. We are watching these circumstances shift before our very eyes though, so who knows what the future holds.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BUUNNI posted:

Do you have any evidence that the Zionist government provides any useful “mid east intel” or sells us information about our peer competitors? What does that even mean, are you suggesting Israel is spying on China for us and it thus behooves us to arm them and ignore their crimes against humanity?

Yes ze NOC list is in my safehouse.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BUUNNI posted:

This sounds exactly like the genesis of the 9/11 conspiracy theories, which is to say complete BS. Why would any Israeli intel officer worth his salt disregard veritable reports that Hamas was going to mount a devastating attack? These guys receive the very best SIGINT and HUMINT training from the west's military apparatus. We ARE living in a post-9/11 world, after all.

The logical conclusion of the claim that "Israel knew the attacks would happen but the higher ups just refused to do anything" would be that the entirety of the intel officer corps needs to be purged or Israel will suffer more attacks in the future.

Sorry, but I just don't buy that narrative.

uhh people gently caress up all the time? Like daily? Incompetence is about the simplest and most likely explanation I think anyone can or will provide about this situation.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BUUNNI posted:

Yup, I think this just proves that modern surveillance states still have so many gaping holes that a determined enemy can use for their advantage. Israel's automated wall system of machine guns and thermal cameras can do gently caress-all if the people monitoring the systems are all inept.

Nah you just automate the response to kill everyone within a certain area bing bong

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
With the context of why they feel the need to harvest genetic diversity, its not that funny.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/28/ethiopian-women-given-contraceptives-israel
https://www.jstor.org/stable/265548...an_tab_contents

yeah uh, I don't think Israel was undertaking a campaign of ethnic cleansing against ethiopian jews. Have yall read any of the reporting associated with that claim or just repeating stuff you've seen on this site?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Dropping Ethiopian birthrates prompted the Israeli government to investigate what was going on in the first place. This was obviously just cover for a poorly coordinated campaign to get rid of black people in Israel.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
ah yes, the perfidious israeli and their deceptive academic papers. Their treachery knows no bounds.

Naturally you're disinclined to believe this paper because of all of the well researched materials you have stating the contrary conclusion??!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PookBear posted:

Go look through all the probations frozenvent has given out in this thread and his reasons for them. A large amount of them are for being mean to people like knox, psydude, and earlier in the thread lum while ignoring just why people might be mean to someone who is defending an ethnostate.

So what? If people can't discuss a topic without melting down they get a 6er. Thats par for course in an I/P thread, along with people reposting the same telephone-game nonsense that comes from elsewhere on the site.