Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bulletsponge13 posted:

70k/Sq mile.

There is no place in Gaza that isn't Mega City 1 packed.

E- a quick search shows that is about as dense as Manhattan. Even with precision ordnance, you are killing unaffiliated civilians in other buildings, on the street, and passing by.

17k, not 70k.

Which is still plenty loving horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Their explanation best fits the existing evidence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It honestly doesn't even matter, because the only real purpose focusing on this "investigation" serves is to distract from all the other civilians Israel is/has been bombing.

That's entirely untrue. If Israel actually targeted that hospital, it absolutely destroys the rapport that's been slowly building up. I'm confident they're going to find some other way to accomplish that, but poo poo hasn't completely imploded yet, so it matters.

Kchama posted:

A lot of that evidence was either forged or intentionally misrepresented so I don't think that can be said anymore.

The videos, or what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That Works posted:

What does that mean to you?

Because so far they have been getting cover in the UN from the US and I'm not getting the impression the IDF is operating with great restraint here because of outside influence myself.

It's almost like most of the discussions happen behind closed doors and you're not in the room.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Entirely correct, but as mentioned it's about as strong a position as you're going to see in the press.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

like sure, the executive will put out some token "we recommend maybe not doing this" rhetoric (apparently over rank and file USDOS protest that we should actually strongly recommend not doing this because long term popular sentiment matters and we're falling on the wrong side of that) but as long the israeli and saudi governments can bond over not liking iran nbd, israel can have little a warcrimes genocide as a treat

To the people making these decisions, "long term" means "until next November."

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israel sent a hundred armored vehicles into Jenin in the West Bank and they're tearing up the place. Not entirely clear yet what the ultimate goal is, if any.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/?post_type=liveblog_entry&p=3138831

That pretty much is the goal, I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Twitter has two employees left, and each of them spend their shift holding the button down that says "site works." Sometimes they slip, sometimes they're on break, sometimes it's graveyard and nobody is there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Laughing Zealot posted:

It can't be a good sign for the Israeli army that they've barely started to operate in Gaza and already there are 17 soldiers dead.

It's not indicative of anything. 17 dudes can die in a single relatively small accident during peacetime. Our perception of "normal" casualty rates is super hosed in the US.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Some of the videos from Syria of that were absolutely nuts. I remember one where the grenade rolled back out of the barrel after the dude ran off, so he just waited like a minute and ran back and hucked another one in :stare:

I was just talking about this at work a couple days ago.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 4, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

As Uncle Billy said,

The guy knew his poo poo. He wrote that after the very first state's (SC) secession was announced.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Its like the lesson the Israeli Government learned from the Holocaust was: Next time, be the boot rather than subject to the boot.

I don't think they've tried to conceal that, ever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Google Jeb Bush posted:

there's also nobody worth mentioning with grudges going back centuries plural, it's been less than a century since ww2

To avoid emptyquoting, I'll suggest you read moar books.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Count Roland posted:

To me this current conflict highlights that terrorism works. It's intended to be such an affront that it not only provokes a response, but *requires* a response.

After 9/11 the US put its dick firmly in the bees nest of ME conflict. Which of course earned them huge and lasting ire from the people there as well as being a draining, unproductive conflict.

With Israel it is the same. Israel's disproportionate counter attack was part of the intent. Now it's Israel that's sticking its dick back into a painful place that it pulled out of long ago. But it can't really do anything else. Israel will exert its might against Gaza and almost certainly be worse off for it after a few years of it.

I'm not very emotionally invested in the conflict but the air of inevitably I do find depressing.

Israel razing Gaza was Hamas' goal. Well, a step on the path to their goal of the Muslim world rising up behind them, which isn't working quite as well as they'd hoped (yet).

Humanitarian pauses are literally the least Israel could do to avoid escalation/expansion; I didn't think they'd do it.

PurpleXVI posted:

So, uh, yeah, the region we now call Israel and Palestine was ultra hosed up well before WWII even got into swing.

The problem is almost always France and/or Britain.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 10, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Count Roland posted:

I don't see why Hamas would have a centralized HQ at all. They're effectively rebels fighting an occupation-- sitting still for any length of time is a recipe for getting killed.

Don't forget that their leadership doesn't even live in Gaza.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

as long as he at least tossed it on to the tank I'm comfortable calling it a missile, even if he only tossed it like 6 inches. if he set it down on there I just can't call it a missile.

If he tossed it, it's either a dumb bomb or artillery.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah but that didn't happen, so let's not fret over the multiverse's problems.

Whether they're troll posts or bad opinions or (as I think) beep-boop-goon posts, there are already subforums that police opinions. One of the highlights of GIP is that you have to go pretty far off the range to get the boot. It makes for far better discussion, unlike all this loving whining about other posters.

I spend a week out of town ignoring the news and hit up the last two pages to see what's going on and by golly it seems that goons just suck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

US gives aid to Isreal and Palestine. The aid getting to Palestine is dependent on the Isrealis and GOP (I think) so cutting off the Isreali aid would cut off the Palestinian aid or something. Buuni is positing that sending no aid to either is the lesser of two evils. I think?

You're damned whatever position you take if thats correct.

Edit: Oh, also Donald Trump is preferable in this situation cause he would cut off the aid, I forgot that key point. Which is a little.....

It's also extremely unlikely that the guy who moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem would cut aid to Israel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Count Roland posted:

If somehow Egypt was sufficiently bribed maybe it could set up a sort of neighbouring enclave on their side of the border, still adjacent to Israel. Call it a temporary humanitarian camp. Don't use the word refugee. Use the Israeli strategy of blockade to prevent the Gazans from integrating into Egyptian society. Make UNRWA responsible for for the camp, so the Egyptian state doesn't need to worry about feeding everyone. Hand-wave about their being a plan to re-integrate Palestinians into Gaza after Hamas is flushed out or something. This still seems far-fetched but may be possible.

This is literally what the Gaza Strip is. Egyptian territory set aside for Palestinian expelled from Israeli-controlled territory. Then Israel took control of Gaza, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Suicide Watch posted:

What’s stopping Arab countries from indirect lobbying by threatening to purchase weapons from Europe instead of the US? Is US defense aid to Israel cash flow way greater than that of Arab states that Raytheon et al won’t directly complain to the US government when purchases stop?

They DO purchase weapons from Europe, in addition to American hardware. Arab Typhoons and Rafales fly alongside Arab F-15s, controlled by Arab C2 agencies using radars purchased from multiple nations, etc.

But to shift completely away from the US...that puts their own security at significantly higher risk. Policy disagreements aren't going to overcome that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

E: NM

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

It's funny that this article spends so much time fellating the IDF for their bravery and heroics, casually mentions that "oh, whoops, they actually completely gently caress up actually addressing the core causes of Palestinian attacks on them" and then just breezes past to blowing the IDF some more. Kind of paints their "oh lmao they murder a bunch of civilians and gently caress up any chance of peace utterly" as just "well that's what any soldier would do without someone around to remind them not to :)" rather than the result of a deeply hosed up culture.

"You're all a bunch of genocidal sociopaths and racists" isn't an effective tone for a newspaper to strike when its competitors and government are framing the situation as an existential war.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I confess that I don't really care what the "effective" tone of a newspaper is, what I care about is whether they're honest or dishonest.

If being "effective" means lying and trying to politely wallpaper over fascists' crimes with "oh but they're so brave and heroic!" then said newspaper can go rot in hell and I will not miss them.

Neat. But since we're not in fairytale land, they'll probably continue to exist as the least-awful paper in the country, and hopefully continue to plant seeds of reasons why the war might need to cool down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

Egypt appears to be preparing space on the border for refugees from Gaza. Viewed charitably, they're preparing for the worst. Viewed skeptically, one can't help but wonder if Sisi cut a deal with Bibi that would make him complicit in the wholesale ethnic cleansing of the population of Gaza.

That'd be signing his own death warrant, so I doubt it.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think the obvious explanation is "Israel will not let the refugees back into Gaza after they leave and Egypt doesn't want a permanent refugee population"

Egypt REALLY doesn't want Hamas setting up camp in its territory, thereby giving Israel a reason to start striking targets in Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EFB