Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been thinking about it, trying to find a silver lining for the genocide going on in Gaza, and I think we can all agree that one good thing to come from all of this is finally informing the world about how terrible the Houthis are. I mean, before they started these recent rounds of attacks on shipping in solidarity with Gaza literally nobody was talking about their horrendous antisemitism or whatever. It's a shame it's taking a genocide to bring this to light, but you really have to be grateful to the true champions of truth and justice that have brought the perfidious Houthi to the forefront of the conversation without being distracted by the actions of Israel and their enabler the United States.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dance Officer posted:

Don't be ridiculous. The reason the international response has been what it is, is because the pressure is real. And that the added costs of shipping are real. And the fact there's a bunch of warships in the Red Sea shooting at Yemen is real.

Probably fair to say that the Houthis have applied as much or more pressure over what's going on in Gaza than the US has.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What's the legality of Israel dropping bombs in the middle of Damascus?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PittTheElder posted:

Obvious act of war, but the realities of international politics are that that doesn't matter because what's Syria going to do about it?

Sounds like carte blanche for Iran to put warheads on foreheads in Tel-Aviv, if they're so inclined.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Potato Salad posted:

Those will likely be the Israeli E-ish variant, yeah? The paywall kicked in before I could get much farther than the fourth paragraph.

They said they have air to ground capability so it's some variant of strike eagle, yeah.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
still salty about 1983

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Count Roland posted:

The main issue is that a direct Iranian attack would likely provoke a US response. Which is probably why Bibi hit that consulate in the first place.

I think fears over an American response are overblown. Like, what are they going to do?

The scary scenario is Israel using nukes, imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Count Roland posted:

If Iran strikes Israel directly then the US can return the favour. Or give Israel the green light to hit Iranian nuclear facilities.

How is the US going to hit Iran, and why would Israel need a green light from the US?

I'm not sure you understand this scenario.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grip it and rip it posted:

In a total war scenario? What kind of specificity are you looking for? They'd be coordinating with the Israelis to take out strategically significant assets for that conflict. That kind of escalation would put a ton of different strike packages on the table.

Why do you think that is such an impossible scenario?

The US hasn't been able to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities, what are they going to do in Iran which has real SAM capabilities? Find out if the F-35 actually works?

You tell me, total war scenario, what's the US going to do to Iran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

McNally posted:

Has the US tried to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities? Please support your response with reputable sources.

This was the first thing Google spit out, there's been a lot of reporting on it. This story is from February, the Houthis are still operational.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/live-updates-rcna137078

quote:

The United States and the United Kingdom struck 36 Houthi targets in 13 locations in Yemen today, which U.S. officials said were intended to "disrupt and degrade the capabilities" Houthis have used to attack ships in the Red Sea.

Again, lots of reporting on it, I'm not in a position to look things up extensively at the moment, so feel free to do your own research on it.