Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m friends with a guy whose parents are Palestinian refugees, and he’s really struggling as close friends are calling for his people’s genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

I don't think anyone here posted about either of these things?

Please tell us our your view on the 260 people that Hamas murdered at the music festival and the footage of them parading dead women through the streets.

The rave stories are also looking to not be completely correct, and one of the supposedly murdered/raped women is 100% alive.

There is a lot of really bad info coming out around everything, and Israel is definitely taking advantage of the bad information.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pine Cone Jones posted:

This discussion doesn't seem prudent to the issue at hand and trying to cover the events.

It really does. Education about the history of horrible colonizer/settler action against Palestine is why these events are happening today. This poo poo has been going on for almost a hundred years now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My bad, I just worry about things devolving into a internet shouting match and the thread getting gassed like the GBS one.

I don't think that will happen because of different moderation rules/guidelines etc.

Ultimately this is an extremely delicate topic, and there's not a lot of good outcomes. Palestinians have been treated as less than people for nearly a century by pretty much the rest of the world, and the modern Israeli state has been working to actively eradicate them. It's reasonable for people put in such a situation to react in extreme ways. The actions of Israel, the British, and the United States over the past century are the proximate cause of Hamas, Hezbollah, and any of the attacks they have committed.

I cannot say that atrocities should be condoned, but we should always strive to understand the reasons behind the actors' motives. The bottom line is that modern Israel is an apartheid state, and they will not be satisfied until they have eliminated the Palestinians in whole.

I think more than anything, we need to make sure that people know the facts of what's going on. There has been a lot of sensational reports that have zero corroboration, and those are being used to justify further atrocities. It all really sucks, and I can't think of a good way for any of this to end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hey, I don't know what's behind those twitter warnings, but I think it's a real bad idea to post that poo poo in line. You're likely to catch a probation or a ban for it.

e: you edited it out - but seriously, please don't post any gore from twitter in here to prove any point. You can post a link with a warning of what is behind it, but please do not inline that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bored As gently caress posted:

It was text only, and French, at that. I would never post photos or anything of the sort.

I appreciate that. All I saw were twitter embeds with sensitive content behind them, and I did not click. I just don't want to see a poster get themselves whacked because of an argument about something.