Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

No tagline could more accurately sum up my Canucks fan experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1712253077858681234

Didn't expect that one so soon

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
cap going up means contracts are gonna go bonkers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is that the first 8 year extension for a guy who's played under 100 career games?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Is that the first 8 year extension for a guy who's played under 100 career games?

Sanderson

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

ThinkTank posted:

I can only read that in my highly irritated mom's voice and it couldn't be more dead accurate

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

They learned!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ThinkTank posted:

Klingberg signed a 7 year extension after his ELC after playing 65 NHL games in 1 season..

That was possibly the steal of the century when it comes to contracts lol, Klinger has not been well served by his agents over the years

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

e: wrong thread

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

goddamn lol. I’m so sorry. “CMONNNNNN! let’s GOOOOOO” for a team perpetually in ninth stuck in a non-rebuild non-contending phase is so grim

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Whoever called Samsonov falling off a cliff in the predictions thread gotta be feeling pretty good right now

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Whoever called Samsonov falling off a cliff in the predictions thread gotta be feeling pretty good right now

It was obvious!!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

I only didn't because I didn't regard him as perched atop a cliff to begin with

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The non-elite tier of goalies can be counted on being bad in alternating seasons while they try to figure something new out

And sometimes their hips explode into powder

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hell yeah, this core group is gonna own for many years

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This is my new favorite gif

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1712245021376651522?s=20

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Habs are back baby, blowing leads in hilarious fashion

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I will say, Reaves isn’t good at hockey but he’s not worse at it than the grit ‘n sandpaper guys that Dubas stapled to the team in past seasons. He might even be better in that he can actually do the “job” he’s supposed to (boarding people, getting away with it and fighting about it after) better than Simmonds or Clifford could

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I will say, Reaves isn’t good at hockey but he’s not worse at it than the grit ‘n sandpaper guys that Dubas stapled to the team in past seasons. He might even be better in that he can actually do the “job” he’s supposed to (boarding people, getting away with it and fighting about it after) better than Simmonds or Clifford could

he’s old enough and beloved enough by even the refs that he can still get away with some real borderline poo poo. there’s some value there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

He is, literally, the worst player in the entire NHL.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I had the displeasure of watching Reaves play for my team when he was much younger than he is now, and I would still trade Jeff Carter for him in a heartbeat

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah people have been spitting out that line about Ryan Reaves for like 8 years now and he's always been completely unplayable even in his 6 minutes a night role in the lineup

**The funniest thing is that all TV broadcasters are somehow conditioned to point out literally every time that a player like this does anything above falling flat on their face. "Oh man, did you see that dump in? and then he finished his check on the defenseman after the puck was moved on! That's why you have Zack MacEwan in the lineup in games like this!" and I just imagine if any other random 2nd line player got that kind of reaction every single shift when they make a pass, backcheck or cover the slot in their own end lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 12, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Starsfan posted:

yeah people have been spitting out that line about Ryan Reaves for like 8 years now and he's always been completely unplayable even in his 6 minutes a night role in the lineup

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that Simmonds and Clifford were also unplayable but they never got the rep and also didn’t actually grit properly either

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Neither Clifford or Simmons ever flexed and got their gm all excited

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Neither Clifford or Simmons ever flexed and got their gm all excited

More value added!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Reaves is better than me at hockey and he seems like a nice guy but those are about the extent of my compliments for him

He's a relic as a player archetype and I'd rather have a million Matt Nieto type players over him

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So for some reason I (in Australia) now need to use a VPN to listen to Sportsnet radio (I can listen to the pre game show, but not the actual broadcast), which is fine but then to watch it on ESPN I need to turn off the VPN..

I mistakenly got the impression of the NHL in flying two teams around the world to play games in Australia had some kind of broad goal to grow the game here by making it easy to consume.

It’s not like there’s an hot market for Australian NHL radio rights!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know this isn’t the GDT but Edmonton just pulled their goalie on day 1 lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

I know this isn’t the GDT but Edmonton just pulled their goalie on day 1 lmao

So did Toronto!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
So did LA with like 4 minutes remaining, which rules, for the record. Always go for it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think he's referring to Jack Campbell letting in 4 goals on 16 shots before getting yanked.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They did it in style

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Really liked what I've seen from the Habs tonight. Slafkovsky had moments of brilliance the likes of which we've never seen last season, Dach seems ready for a breakout season, and Cole Caufield's still Cole Caufield.
In a rebuilding year I'd take losses like that over lovely meaningless wins that do nothing but worsen our draft position. They're bad but they're fun and improving.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Truly the worst team in the league

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
We're so loving back. (Actual)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Apparently Demko was dehydrated, threw up in his mask, yum.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
oilers can lick my fuckin hoop stupid pussy rear end bitches

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Simplex posted:

I think he's referring to Jack Campbell letting in 4 goals on 16 shots before getting yanked.

And the backup goalie?

.... To shreds, you say?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Boeser was great. Pettersson was great. Miller was great. Powerplay was 3/6. Lafferty seems good. McDavid was -3 and looked like poo poo. Skinner and Campbell both rocked a 750 sv%. I couldn't have asked for more last night. What an unexpectedly wonderful start to the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I have zero faith in the flames to win a lot of games like that but holy god I love watching the Oilers get poo poo kicked