Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Draisaitl was in late season two hander slash form too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

HookShot posted:

I know this isn’t the GDT but Edmonton just pulled their goalie on day 1 lmao

The oilers are back baby

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

sleep with the vicious posted:

The oilers are back baby

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ThinkTank posted:

Boeser was great. Pettersson was great. Miller was great. Powerplay was 3/6. Lafferty seems good. McDavid was -3 and looked like poo poo. Skinner and Campbell both rocked a 750 sv%. I couldn't have asked for more last night. What an unexpectedly wonderful start to the year.

Now for the crushing defeat on Saturday to make us come back down to being REAL Canucks fans. :lol:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Can't wait for the season to start this weekend!!!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Colorado looked like Colorado again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Now for the crushing defeat on Saturday to make us come back down to being REAL Canucks fans. :lol:

Of course, but considering my expectations was to see the reverse scoreline last night I am going to enjoy this for 72 hours.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

neoaxd posted:

Really liked what I've seen from the Habs tonight. Slafkovsky had moments of brilliance the likes of which we've never seen last season, Dach seems ready for a breakout season, and Cole Caufield's still Cole Caufield.
In a rebuilding year I'd take losses like that over lovely meaningless wins that do nothing but worsen our draft position. They're bad but they're fun and improving.

Slaf/Dach/Newhook looks like a solid combo. Dach especially was looking like Joe Thornton out there.

And yeah games with lots of goals they lose by one is kinda the ideal scenario this year. 40 goals for Cole plz.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps don't get a game until Friday and then it's only on ESPN+? Maaaaan.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

AntiDepressor posted:

Slaf/Dach/Newhook looks like a solid combo. Dach especially was looking like Joe Thornton out there.

And yeah games with lots of goals they lose by one is kinda the ideal scenario this year. 40 goals for Cole plz.

and wifi ragdolling the entire NHL for lols please

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's been like three posts since anyone mentioned that the Oilers lost 8-1 to the Canucks on opening night so I just wanted to remind everyone of that in case they'd forgotten.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but what would the score have been if they hadn’t made the OEL trade?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but what would the score have been if they hadn’t made the OEL trade?

14-1, and McDavid would've immediately demanded a trade out of Edmonton.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its cool that the first Friday night of the NHL season only has two games and they're basically at the same time so you can't even watch hockey for ~5 hours

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't want to compete with high school football in the U.S. South, the only region Bettman cares about

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Saturday has 14 games too, which is too many. The perfect night of NHL hockey has roughly 6 games, at staggered start times, so you can flip back and forth between two games between roughly 7pm (EST) and 1 in the morning.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1712483746635497855?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Henri Jokiharju’s pick is outstanding. Also lmao Jeff Skinner

Dylan Cozens picking White Horse is also amazing

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Owen Power's choice made me laugh. Obvious route to go but still good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don’t watch other teams because that’s treason and cowardice.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The fact that the Oilers were the favourite pre-season Cup winner prediction in the media really adds another level to getting completely rocked by the Canucks in game 1, just a tremendous night for chaos

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Everyone keeps talking about opening night like it already happened but the season hasn't even started yet

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am so sad Girgensons did not pick the Zemgus Girgensons rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSRbeYswGQ

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Canucks do this every year though. They start fast, disastrously collapse in the late fall/early winter, then play .550 hockey the last six weeks to pull themselves out of the #1 pick lottery. It's their thing.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't want to compete with high school football in the U.S. South, the only region Bettman cares about

Aren't Fridays usually slow days since all the Canadian teams want the Saturday slots which takes like 10-14 teams out of the equation without back-to-backs?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Canucks do this every year though. They start fast, disastrously collapse in the late fall/early winter, then play .550 hockey the last six weeks to pull themselves out of the #1 pick lottery. It's their thing.

That is the complete opposite of what they do. It took the Canucks 8 games to get their first win last year. They blew a 3-0 lead to the Oilers on opening night. They do play out of their minds to close out the season though.

pseudodragon posted:

Aren't Fridays usually slow days since all the Canadian teams want the Saturday slots which takes like 10-14 teams out of the equation without back-to-backs?

Friday is also a really bad day for TV because people like to go out and do things. Saturday doesn't make much sense either but it's a cultural institution in Canada and they can't change that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So is Jonathon Drouin going to be Colorado's Chris Kunitz this year? I mean, that's a sacrifice I'll take if it means another cup or two

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. Like, he's a good third line winger playing on the first line because he's MacKinnon's BFF?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea I'm not really seeing the sacrifice. He was a third overall pick and while he definitely never lived up to it, the talent is there. He's basically on a league minimum salary and he's playing with a guy he's had proven, insane, chemistry with (even if it was a decade ago) and your superstar franchise player is happy about it. Landeskog is on LTIR and who else is going to be the LW for Rantanen and MacKinnon? Lehkonen? Seems like Drouin is just as fine an option.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1712485507383308757?t=t6X55RUVn2JVLUp42ArQ-A&s=19

Good job scratching Kent Johnson, Pazzy. Great start.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Dallas is going to blitz the Blues like 5-1 tonight, I can feel it. There's a number of Blues fans who are deranged enough to think this team is going to finish 3rd in the Central and very likely make the playoffs for some reason

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
A18ERTA

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mike_V posted:

Dallas is going to blitz the Blues like 5-1 tonight, I can feel it. There's a number of Blues fans who are deranged enough to think this team is going to finish 3rd in the Central and very likely make the playoffs for some reason

ehh we'll see.. I think the Blues still have a solid group of forwards (atleast their top 6) and Binnington can still win a game for them.

I mean I think they could easily win tonight.. not that they are going to finish 3rd in the central (I view them as the 6th best team and closer to Arizona than Nashville).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

ehh we'll see.. I think the Blues still have a solid group of forwards (atleast their top 6) and Binnington can still win a game for them.

I mean I think they could easily win tonight.. not that they are going to finish 3rd in the central (I view them as the 6th best team and closer to Arizona than Nashville).

I don't know that I see Nashville doing much this year along with the Blues. They're both going to win enough games to be a pain to the rest of the Central, but they're not going to be consistently good enough to be anything but an outsider. Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and Winnipeg are likely going to be the top 4 in some order and it's going to be interesting to see if Chicago or Arizona will be the worst this season now that there's nothing to tank for.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cuylle jumping up to the 3rd line is cool. Kakko and Laf are where they should be. I’m sure none of this will last but let’s see

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They need to keep those lines in place (with the exception of rotating Vesey onto the fourth line occasionally) for at least all of October. Give them time to gel. If Laf still looks like poo poo on the RW when Nov 1 rolls around, then maybe try Cuylle there, but it's gonna take time

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Fernando Pisani never would have let this happen

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Jhet posted:

I don't know that I see Nashville doing much this year along with the Blues. They're both going to win enough games to be a pain to the rest of the Central, but they're not going to be consistently good enough to be anything but an outsider. Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and Winnipeg are likely going to be the top 4 in some order and it's going to be interesting to see if Chicago or Arizona will be the worst this season now that there's nothing to tank for.

Macklin Celebrini isn't at the same level as Bedard, but he's still a very very good prospect that is probably worth tanking for. There will be competition with San Jose for the best odds at him, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do they call him Celly? They better.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aphrodite posted:

Do they call him Celly? They better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008