Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I have a decent chunk of family that are Mormons and have never heard of this soaking thing. How the gently caress has everyone else heard about it and...why?

(elaborately whistles for like 30 seconds) POTVIN SOAKS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Knights pretty blatantly tanking this last game, let's see how this all works out for em

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aces High posted:

I have a decent chunk of family that are Mormons and have never heard of this soaking thing. How the gently caress has everyone else heard about it and...why?

You’ve been a SomethingAwful poster for 14 years and you’re wondering how a bunch of people on the internet became aware of a weird sex thing?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

Knights pretty blatantly tanking this last game, let's see how this all works out for em

eh hard to question it, Vegas has done much better in their games against Dallas this year than they have in their games against Edmonton.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

You’ve been a SomethingAwful poster for 14 years and you’re wondering how a bunch of people on the internet became aware of a weird sex thing?

Or a weird not-quite-sex under a certain (possibly imaginary) ruleset thing, as the case may be.

Anyway what I'm saying is Matt Murray will save the Leafs.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I thought the Kings did a smart thing for once and tanked by giving up 3 quick goals to the Blackhawks. But then they just had to come back and win.

Kings/Oilers again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

eh hard to question it, Vegas has done much better in their games against Dallas this year than they have in their games against Edmonton.

It's just cowardly poo poo imo

Whatever, let's kill Mark Stone

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Welp, that does it for the regular season.

For kicks I ran an Elo simulation of the year. I weighted down OT and SO results (to .75/.25 and .55/.45 respectively). Here is a power ranking no less arbitrary than all the others.

Carolina Hurricanes (1305)
New York Rangers (1291)
Winnipeg Jets (1288)
Dallas Stars (1284)
Florida Panthers (1273)
Colorado Avalanche (1267)
Vancouver Canucks (1261)
Boston Bruins (1252)
Edmonton Oilers (1241)
Nashville Predators (1238)
Tampa Bay Lightning (1235)
Toronto Maple Leafs (1235)
Los Angeles Kings (1230)
New York Islanders (1222)
Vegas Golden Knights (1217)
Washington Capitals (1216)
Pittsburgh Penguins (1203)
St. Louis Blues (1199)
Buffalo Sabres (1198)
Minnesota Wild (1192)
Detroit Red Wings (1187)
Calgary Flames (1169)
Philadelphia Flyers (1169)
New Jersey Devils (1167)
Arizona Coyotes (1160)
Ottawa Senators (1152)
Seattle Kraken (1145)
Montreal Canadiens (1141)
Columbus Blue Jackets (1107)
Anaheim Ducks (1088)
Chicago Blackhawks (1059)
San Jose Sharks (1027)

Biggest upsets:
2024-04-16: Columbus Blue Jackets (1095) def. Carolina Hurricanes (1316)
2024-04-06: Chicago Blackhawks (1069) def. Dallas Stars (1288)
2024-04-01: Columbus Blue Jackets (1098) def. Colorado Avalanche (1286)
2024-03-30: San Jose Sharks (1026) def. St. Louis Blues (1213)
2024-02-25: Columbus Blue Jackets (1110) def. New York Rangers (1294)
2023-11-25: San Jose Sharks (1074) def. Vancouver Canucks (1258)
2024-01-23: San Jose Sharks (1080) def. New York Rangers (1261) OT
2024-01-15: Columbus Blue Jackets (1112) def. Vancouver Canucks (1288) SO
2023-12-27: Chicago Blackhawks (1101) def. Winnipeg Jets (1274) OT
2024-04-06: San Jose Sharks (1028) def. St. Louis Blues (1200) OT

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You know, I could go for another oilers 16 game winning streak right about now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

It's just cowardly poo poo imo

Whatever, let's kill Mark Stone

My biggest worry is that the Stars lose to Vegas again and that's all that Jim Nill needs to abandon the skill movement that they've put together the last few years and this franchise goes the direction of the 2016 Stars after they lost to the Blues.

I think it's like 55/45 Dallas.. can't say I'm any more confident than that. Dallas may have slightly more talent across the roster, but ultimately it looks like a goaltending / OT results coinflip series to me.

**I just remembered that Jani Hakanpaa hasn't practiced yet and DeBoer has been playing Nils Lundkvist like 5 minutes a night as the 6th defenseman in meaningless games against bottom feeding teams. Will be a hoot to watch Dallas try to play with 5 d-men against a 4 line team like Vegas especially if those games go into OT.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 19, 2024

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
The Sharks end the season as officially the worst team of the salary cap era to play a full 82 game season, with the fewest wins (19), points (47), and worst goal differential (-150 holy dogshit) of any team of the modern era to date. The 2020 Red Wings might have ended up worse if not for Covid, they did have a lower points percentage but only 71 games were played so we'll never truly know.

Congrats boys, you did it. Now don't lose the lottery.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

My biggest worry is that the Stars lose to Vegas again and that's all that Jim Nill needs to abandon the skill movement that they've put together the last few years and this franchise goes the direction of the 2016 Stars after they lost to the Blues.

I think it's like 55/45 Dallas.. can't say I'm any more confident than that. Dallas may have slightly more talent across the roster, but ultimately it looks like a goaltending / OT results coinflip series to me.

I dont really care how it shakes out, I do not think the Stars right now are the same team that played Vegas at the beginning of the year, it's just extremely lame for a sport filled with idiot macho men to simultaneously throw a game because they're afraid.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Chuch posted:

The Sharks end the season as officially the worst team of the salary cap era to play a full 82 game season, with the fewest wins (19), points (47), and worst goal differential (-150 holy dogshit) of any team of the modern era to date. The 2020 Red Wings might have ended up worse if not for Covid, they did have a lower points percentage but only 71 games were played so we'll never truly know.

thank god, now Colorado can truly wash away the stink of that godawful 16/17 season

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

deoju posted:

I just googled it, the Utah state animal is an elk. That'd make a cool logo. Big horns and poo poo.

So, which Canadian is gonna tell him

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I’m looking for good playoff previews that go into the details of the matchups. Any website recommendations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Numbers! And no I don’t know what they mean or why they decided not to have a head to head in one picture.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao Vegas

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Never tell me the odds.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

the utah jazz 2

2tah Jazz

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Now going to spend my work day extensively going over each playoff match and determining the Stanley Cup winner, only to make myself look like a huge dumbass in a week after the team I chose gets swept in the first round.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Twin Cinema posted:

Now going to spend my work day extensively going over each playoff match and determining the Stanley Cup winner, only to make myself look like a huge dumbass in a week after the team I chose gets swept in the first round.

Don't worry, I'm also cheering for the Leafs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers gonna beat the Kings, Canucks and Jets in succession before avenging 2006 in the Stanley Cup Finals and I will die happy and Mennoknight will die extremely sad

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Oilers gonna beat the Kings, Canucks and Jets in succession before avenging 2006 in the Stanley Cup Finals and I will die happy and Mennoknight will die extremely sad

i'm not dead bitch

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Cambria Bold posted:

Don't worry, I'm also cheering for the Leafs.

The Leafs could be up 3-0 in the series, winning 7-0 in Game 4 late in the third, against Boston, and I still wouldn't believe they could pull it off.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

i'm not dead bitch

WILL die in June when the Oilers parade the Stanley Cup all across this stupid nation.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

replace beating the jets with beating dallas and keep the rest

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Imagine thinking the Dallas Pavs aren’t getting a cup this year

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Imagine thinking the Dallas Pavs aren’t getting a cup this year

This is the correct and handsome opinion. GO Stars!

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
The Islanders will do something. Not sure what that something will be, but we're gonna do it baby!!!!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have an arm that needs a tattoo, go stars

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I do think Dallas is the team to beat. Jets and Canucks are frauds, Avalanche are thin with bad goalies. Oilers have bad goalies and they're the oilers. Vegas awakened Stone from his eternal slumber, but they're getting too old for this poo poo. Dubois is not actually a beast in the playoffs, he just was playing against the Leafs the one time he did good.

Nashville vs Dallas in the West finals I guess

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
It's crazy what a huge Kings fan I just became... almost like it happened over night.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Go ahead and bet on Pete DeBoer if you insist, just don't come back here crying when bad things happen to your money.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chuch posted:

*Narrator voice* They're gonna lose the lottery to the Blackhawks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

It's crazy what a huge Kings fan I just became... almost like it happened over night.

You do seem to have a type.

That type is bad teams.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I don't understand how the best defensive team in the league is considered a fraud.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koth posted:

I don't understand how the best defensive team in the league is considered a fraud.

Defense implies chance suppression not 'have your goalie be otherworldly'.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Defense implies chance suppression not 'have your goalie be otherworldly'.

The goalie is part of the team and he is not injured.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koth posted:

The goalie is part of the team and he is not injured.

Oh you sweet summer child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Misanthrope posted:

it's weird that it's happening for the third year straight for me too