Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Haven't wished this hard for Playoffs Marner to be healthy scratched since the leafs were blowing a 3-1 lead to Montreal and Tavares was in the press box already, he could've passed on some wisdom or at least quarantined him before it was too late. Once again his line is out to sea and Nylander will need a place to slot in so :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ken Holland's account spotted

Lmao if he was good at circumventing the cap he'd have ltir'd Kane in February and traded for uhhh I dunno Toffolli

Instead the Oilers have 3.25 against the cap next year in bonuses for Connor Brown

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao if he was good at circumventing the cap he'd have ltir'd Kane in February and traded for uhhh I dunno Toffolli

Instead the Oilers have 3.25 against the cap next year in bonuses for Connor Brown

Yes he is terrible at circumventing it, he is horrible at managing it in general

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1782797830492754140

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

lol it’s gonna be a wild ride

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Duck Rodgers posted:

I just learned that Dallas is calling it the plAIoffs (as in A.I.), so they are definitely the villains in that series. Go Knights

The gently caress? Who???

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am confident in one thing. That one thing is that the Leafs will beat the Bruins

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

To the golf course?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1782828760628371486

Holy poo poo

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Welp.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
RIP the Canucks

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The gently caress? Who???

Their various social media channels are doing it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, its over.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

tomanton posted:

Haven't wished this hard for Playoffs Marner to be healthy scratched since the leafs were blowing a 3-1 lead to Montreal and Tavares was in the press box already, he could've passed on some wisdom or at least quarantined him before it was too late. Once again his line is out to sea and Nylander will need a place to slot in so :pray:

With the game over I don’t want to harp on it too much, fact is Matthews was the best skater on the ice finally and most of the team did their job so it feels lame to complain immediately about something else. But I do think Marner’s not recovered from his high ankle sprain and it’s been a struggle for him.

Like, ignoring all words from this godawful tweet, this looks like a guy desperately trying not to take body contact:

https://x.com/j_swish24/status/1782576656403906813?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

I’m not saying Marner needs to toughen up or whatever, just that he’s not his usual waterbug self out there. At his best you couldn’t keep him away from a loose puck and in that clip he’s actively avoiding being first to it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

:smith:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
lord desmith shall lead us to glory. gently caress

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Oh FFS. Casey DeSmith, playoff starter, doesn't exactly engender confidence

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Most the games I went to this season were with Desmith in net, and I thought he did pretty well. Nevermind the win rate...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trevor Moore not getting any supplemental discipline for going through Desharnais' knee.

Chalk up another one for NHL Player Safety!!!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I don't think Leon or Connor see it that way or care at all

That’s good to know. I was definitely looking at it with my NBA brain where so many manufactured storylines revolve around the „whose team is it“ narrative.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Knights are the anti-hero: objectively violating the rules but also fun and entertaining and its only sports so who cares.

Stars are the hero: God-fearing all-American/Canadian good ol' boys who play and win the right way.

Kings are the villain: lame and boring and under-performing and ruining hockey

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 23, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

Vegas is an anti-hero. Objectively violating the rules but also fun and entertaining and its only sports so who cares.

Plus a lot of their fans have Punisher skulls on their cars probably.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DeSmith needs a shut out tonight to inspire confidence.

E:
https://twitter.com/BatchHockey/status/1782836004988285273

Guess we wait and see.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 23, 2024

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Well that was a fun day and a half of happiness.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/1782835435376394339

That was a wild game too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Like, the Canucks can beat Nashville with DeSmith but that's pretty much it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ianwcanucks/status/1782841183560925194

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Welp, so much for that. It was a fun season I guess.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did Demko fall out of bed or something? This came out of nowhere

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Demko fall out of bed or something? This came out of nowhere

Demko already missed a month late in the season with a knee issue. Could be that he wasn't fully healed, and it only showed up again after a few games.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Vegas was also just 750k over the salary cap last night. They were barely over and could have been under simply by having a different backup

Is that only counting the 23 man roster and not the $10 million they have sitting in the press box?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Simplex posted:

Is that only counting the 23 man roster and not the $10 million they have sitting in the press box?

No. just the 20 skaters playing

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/what-is-the-total-cap-hit-of-vegas-game-1-lineup-vs-dallas/

Everyone essentially agrees that if a change is made for playoffs in regard to cap hit, that it would be the cap hit of the players skating that game, not anything to do with who's in the press box.

Of note, if the Leafs played Brodie and Nylander over Benoit and Robertson they'd be 2 million over this years cap.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
it was fun thinkin the canucks were actually all healthy finally for a deep playoff run

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

God saw that Canuck fans were actually enjoying their lives and decided to put a loving stop too that huh

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Who was it that was asking if they should cheer for the Canucks?

Cause this is the sort of thing you get to look forward to.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

Demko already missed a month late in the season with a knee issue. Could be that he wasn't fully healed, and it only showed up again after a few games.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1782844182081728947

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
now I just need Zach Hyman to come down with a really bad case of the mumps or something to make everything right

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

No. just the 20 skaters playing

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/what-is-the-total-cap-hit-of-vegas-game-1-lineup-vs-dallas/

Everyone essentially agrees that if a change is made for playoffs in regard to cap hit, that it would be the cap hit of the players skating that game, not anything to do with who's in the press box.

Of note, if the Leafs played Brodie and Nylander over Benoit and Robertson they'd be 2 million over this years cap.

I'm not really bothered by the cap stuff, but you can't really just calculate it differently now and say 'well actually it's Fine'. The people who are mad are mad because they wouldn't have been cap compliant if Stone and Hertl came back into the lineup two weeks ago.

But anyway Vegas are cheaters and deserve to lose, just not to the Dallas 'bow down to our robot overlords' Stars

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That's not what I'm saying at all and no-one else is.

The remedy to Vegas' cap poo poo that keeps getting thrown around is to make teams have to be cap compliant for who they ice in a playoff game. Vegas would have no problem being cap compliant even with the LTIR bullshit they have been doing. Its pretty difficult to keep teams from using LTIR in the regular season in the way that they do otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The major difference is that in the regular season you still have to take into account the players you don't play in order to be cap compliant. Which is pretty much why all those playoff cap proposals aren't serious.