Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/adam_la2karis/status/1783590481613480237

I love marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Bob stayed on a bit too long as many hockey commentators do, but he's probably the best I've ever listened to. Just an absolute staple. RIP.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Mike Works posted:

Bob stayed on a bit too long as many hockey commentators do, but he's probably the best I've ever listened to. Just an absolute staple. RIP.

Yeah, it was sad by the end when he was 5 seconds behind the play and kept pausing to remember the players' names. But I'll always remember him as the voice of hockey growing up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

lol at Samsonov giving up that goal too. Just wild that he is getting starts on a team that theoretically wants to win

I mean, they don't have an alternative. Just wild that they haven't bothered to develop a goalie or grab a half decent one off a scrap pile and continue to insist that maybe samsonov will actually play up to his supposed talents this time

Weaponized Autism posted:

I have four streaming services right now that covers all of my hockey watching. I have a spreadsheet where I track all of this, which of my required TV channels are covered by which streaming service, and costs associated. Thankfully with friends/family I share some accounts otherwise the cost would be higher to the point where I should just re-subscribe to traditional cable TV.

I have ESPN+ through Disney+ which I get with my phone package for "free" and that covers most games, but yeah I have to pay the $30-40/month SlingTv tax come playoff time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
:rip: Bob Cole

Even dead you're probably still a better play-by-play announcer than Dave Randorf or Paul Romanuk

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

"Everything is happening!" is still one of my favorite calls ever. RIP.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

I don't watch a ton of hockey anymore but it was hard to miss people looking at their phones during crowd shots last night.

Cheapest ticket was $350 face and you're not even watching the game.

e: Aside but I think I'm going to catch a Marlies playoff game this weekend. Ticket was $30. :yeah:

this is an issue with MSG crowds sometimes, but thankfully the mere condition of living in the NYC Metro area means that you're an obnoxious rear end in a top hat who likes to yell at things, so it ends up evening out. Torontonians need to channel their inner Rob Ford and get cracked up for the game and go nuts.

Aphrodite posted:

I just need one pirate site that works with Airplay and then I'm in. Come on pirates have some pride in your work.

RIP hockeystreams. still don't know how some illegal site in the Netherlands or wherever was able to get 60FPS streaming of basically every game in the world, and no one can match the quality like 10 years later. was so tragic when that shut down

Koopa Kid posted:

RIP Bob Cole, they don’t make voices like that anymore

any excuse to post Kovalev-Tucker. not exactly known as one of his all-timers but just IMO a great example of perfect hockey production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8FI4Z5egh0

great commentary, great mixing of the crowd, great camerawork, great cutting, so wonderfully Canadian. "Some people will say....darn it? And others will say: thank heavens."

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

I mean, they don't have an alternative. Just wild that they haven't bothered to develop a goalie or grab a half decent one off a scrap pile and continue to insist that maybe samsonov will actually play up to his supposed talents this time

They do have an alternative! They have a young goalie that started 25 games, put up better full-season stats, who only lost the starter’s job recovering from a high ankle sprain suffered in December. Might be worth a shot because this ain’t cutting it:

https://x.com/meghanchayka/status/1783505181612691464?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
But a .946 save percentage is good!

Leafs management, probably

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

RIP hockeystreams. still don't know how some illegal site in the Netherlands or wherever was able to get 60FPS streaming of basically every game in the world, and no one can match the quality like 10 years later. was so tragic when that shut down

They were ripping them from Gamecenter/Center Ice.

Those platforms are and were fully capable of 60fps, you just only ever got it if you pulled the direct access to the stream like they did or on a handful of random platforms it just worked.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

They should have started Woll for every game.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The Samsonov Redemption Saga is bulletin point #1 in why a team should not be owned by the media that covers them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So, Auston Matthews misses an awful lot of chances in the playoffs that he routinely buries in the regular season. You might have noticed. Maybe it's because he's usually injured in April or maybe it's because he's a choking choker, not taking sides on that one. Just observing.

Matthews for his career is a 16.2% shooter (:stare:) in the regular season, drops all the way to 10.0% in the playoffs. (Marner: 13.0% down to 7.3%.) Well hold up, you say, everyone's sh% drops in the playoffs when you don't get to feast on bad defenses/goalies and there are fewer power plays. This is true. I looked up a bunch of the best goalscorers of the cap era and almost all of them drop in sh% in the playoffs... slightly. By about 1.5% to 2%, with remarkable consistency. Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Pastrnak, Aho... all of them are right in that range. (McJesus and Draisaitl's sh% actually are higher in the playoffs, and also Patrick Marleau of all people.)

I'd like to see Matthews and Marner get to play for a real NHL coach before I conclude they're just choking bums who can't take the pressure. But they are definitely extreme outliers in the playoffs, in a not good way.

(Sorry for no sunshine and rainbows in this post, I think I'm ultra focused on the negative because the Rangers and Bruins are going to play in the ECF and whoever wins is going to win the Cup, and I loving hate it)

(But at least these are some brand new playoff Oilers we're seeing this year right?)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 26, 2024

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kovalev destroying Tucker with that hit was so good, but maybe not as good as Boullion OHKOing him.

I saw Bob at a folk festival I volunteered at back in 2016 but never went over to talk to him. I can scarcely think of another Newfoundlander who's so well known or certainly held in such high esteem.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Are we really going to have three sweeps in the Eastern bracket?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah it's pretty funny. The Lightning on the verge of being swept is slightly surprising, but the Islanders and Capitals both suck so I'm fully expecting them to be done by the time the weekend is over.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah it's pretty funny. The Lightning on the verge of being swept is slightly surprising, but the Islanders and Capitals both suck so I'm fully expecting them to be done by the time the weekend is over.

Washington I could see getting a win because New York hasn't delivered unto them the poo poo kicking I expected.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Carolina's logo looks just like a buzzsaw and we are running face first into that poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Which is funnier, Tampa getting swept when they were President's Trophy winners, or getting swept after Kuch had a 100 assist season?

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Definitely the 2019 sweep, Florida is clearly a far better team and it's apparent just how badly Tampa's hollowed-out depth is hindering them. Kuch basically carried them into the playoffs but that's a lot harder to replicate when playing strong opponents every game that can game plan around your star players.

Tampa's power play sputtering is definitely not something I expected, though.

E: I don't think anything is funnier than Tampa giving up five draft picks for Jeannot, what on earth

Chuch fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 26, 2024

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I spent a lot of the year saying 'uhhhh Tampa is kinda poo poo and in trouble and might miss if....' it just happened that the Metro is wayyyyyy shittier and Tampa was just had their poo poo together slightly moreso than the other 2 awful eastern conference teams. Their regular season 5v5 numbers were pretty bad (47% actual goals for 21st in the league) and Vasi had a very down year. They rode a 30% powerplay to a lot of success and welp here they are in the playoffs with officiating being what it is and not clicking 30% anymore.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
all hope is gone from my life x

https://twitter.com/saracivian/status/1783699309080244252

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
More like Thatcher Donezo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Well, three games so....

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Holy poo poo, that sucks.

Speaking of suck, this first round is by and large pretty awful.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ah well, it was nice to have one good home game after 13 years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

They were ripping them from Gamecenter/Center Ice.

Those platforms are and were fully capable of 60fps, you just only ever got it if you pulled the direct access to the stream like they did or on a handful of random platforms it just worked.

Yeah someone worked out the algorithm for the unprotected direct streams, and could essentially generate working links to every game for the season based on it. There used to be an app (LazyMan) that did it for NHL and MLB, and it would just decrypt and send the direct URL to VLC. No ads or bs, just perfect feeds.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Holy poo poo, that sucks.

Speaking of suck, this first round is by and large pretty awful.

There have been some good moments. Bob's save, Rempe's out-of-the-air goal, McDavid's 5 assist game, Islanders blowing a 3-goal lead and breaking an 81 year record...

There aren't any true "underdog" success stories this year for me, though. Seeing how far the Kraken got last year was really, really exciting. This year seems like an overly familiar story

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

There have been some good moments. Bob's save, Rempe's out-of-the-air goal, McDavid's 5 assist game, Islanders blowing a 3-goal lead and breaking an 81 year record...

There aren't any true "underdog" success stories this year for me, though. Seeing how far the Kraken got last year was really, really exciting. This year seems like an overly familiar story

We have to put up with all the posting out of the eastern conference teams, and those are the series that will be done the quickest. At least they started doom posting in February. Also Dallas. They know what they did (forgot to show up).

For as much poo poo as the Western conference was getting, the series have been better. And if it wasn't for Demko breaking, the Vancouver/Nashville series might have even been a lot more interesting. Edmonton/LA is just stupid hockey, and Colorado/Winnipeg is incredible. At this point, I'm not sure that Carolina even looks good because of how bad the Islanders are. The Rangers should be doing better against a slow and bad Capitals team. Florida is at least showing why they want to repeat that finals appearance.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jhet posted:

The Rangers should be doing better against a slow and bad Capitals team.

Do people even watch the games? lmao

All year we’ve been yelling about the Rangers 5v5 play and they loving dominated game 1 with it. Game 2 washington threw the kitchen sink at them, Panarin killed Oshie and they won handily on special teams.

I’m not confident because I still have PTSD from the Devils series last year but the Rangers are doing pretty drat well so far.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
nucks will still easily win round 1 and probably round 2

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Do people even watch the games? lmao

All year we’ve been yelling about the Rangers 5v5 play and they loving dominated game 1 with it. Game 2 washington threw the kitchen sink at them, Panarin killed Oshie and they won handily on special teams.

I’m not confident because I still have PTSD from the Devils series last year but the Rangers are doing pretty drat well so far.

My biggest issue is they're not scoring even more. Defensively they've been great, but there are better defensive teams they're going to need to get through that I'm not sold yet. I think if they can handle business away from home in a decent style I'll be higher on them. Florida has the benefit of having that third game in the win column for me too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

There's only been 2 or 3 games per series in the first round so far, no one has had a chance to succeed in getting out of the first round at all. Nashville would be a huge underdog if they could get out of the first.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

There are also like 10 really good teams in the playoffs this year, and 2 really bad ones. It's not often that an underdog run goes through two or three genuine contenders.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bob Cole's call on the Lemieux North Stars goal is probably my favorite goal call of any goal ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEdgiPEDa8w

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ugh goddamn I miss Bob and Harry

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Levitate posted:

I have ESPN+ through Disney+ which I get with my phone package for "free" and that covers most games, but yeah I have to pay the $30-40/month SlingTv tax come playoff time.

I hate when ESPN+ goes to commercial break.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

There are also like 10 really good teams in the playoffs this year, and 2 really bad ones. It's not often that an underdog run goes through two or three genuine contenders.

Nobody had been absolutely goalied yet, I feel the goal tending is a bit weak this year, it’s hard to build tension for an all important goal if you expect 5 more to be scored.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

I hate when ESPN+ goes to commercial break.

At least they stoped the "live sports" and whatever after that verbal script. But the music is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Even the highlights of the Canes game was boring.