Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah they could have gotten a serious haul for Wilson last summer. He's the kind of player GMs lose their minds over. Just look at what Jeannot got. I get why they kept him but man, sometimes I wish they were more ruthless about trading players the way Vegas/Tampa are.

Tampa isn't so ruthless about trading their players, they haven't even made one of their players play for Buffalo since 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I think they might have just said Demko was injured then put him in DeSmith's jersey to crank up the narrative

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ovi is still very good for how old he is, IMO, but yeah he can't be the guy driving the bus. And if it's not him, then who? Carlson? Strome? Both of them are excellent players, but probably not guys you would want to say are your #1 player. No one else is even worth mentioning. At least they kept the scores kinda close while they got swept, I guess.

I mean, Stroke is better than him now, but hes also failed to do poo poo and hasnt gotten as much flack as ovi

People just still see ovi as the superstar that he isnt anymore. Thats why (well one reason) the Caps are bad

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I thought the caps were now just a vehicle to get Ovi to 895 goals and winning wasn't important? Playoffs don't even count, give the old man a break and come back next fall.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh for sure, but it'd be nice if they won 1 game

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like the Pens or Wings would have lost in 6 to the Rangers instead of getting swept but ah well. They both made their own beds.

I will say this first round has been the worst I can remember in a long time. Usually the first round is the most exciting one to watch but these series have almost all sucked. Maybe the second round will redeem things.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah maybe three of the series are good. Bruins-Leafs and Jets-Avs are legit fun between good teams. Oilers-Kings is fun because of how no one plays defense. But overall this first round has been kind of a dud. Second round should be great though, especially in the East. We're probably looking at some combo of Bruins, Leafs, Panthers, Rangers, and Hurricanes over there.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/OilersAdam/status/1784081589527536031

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They need to stop putting Colorado games and Edmonton games on at the same time. At least until the WCF when there's no choice.

Luckily Sunday's games are split up

e: Carolina and Florida could theoretically have 8 days off after tomorrow. There still exists the possibility that there are only 17 out of a possible 28 first round games played in the eastern conference.

There hasn't been 3 sweeps in a single conference since they went to best of 7 in the first round. in 1986, 6/8 first round series were seeps, but they were best of 5.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 27, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamsOnHockey/status/1784084084681241028

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
He has more powerplay goals too.

Would be nice if Talbot played for the Bruins.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm kind of surprised Big Save Dave Rittich hasn't seen the ice yet

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Hyman had 5 goals in 32 playoff games with the Leafs

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Levitate posted:

They all keep talking about Ovi needs to get going and how as the star leader hes the key for the Caps and its just likenah, hes cooked. If youre relying on him to somehow turn back the clock and be a difference maker then the caps are certainly doomed

Every time the caps get a pp the cameras are on ovi and commentators talk about ovi and how he is the one to get a pp goal and lmao have you seen him lately? Hes cooked.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Toronto really needs to change their playoff ticket formula. They never will cause lol MLSE, but they should adopt a queue system like Wimbledon has. Have a set amount of lower bowl tickets at max $500 that you can get if you line up 24 hours before the game.

The playoff atmosphere is horrible and ticket prices are insane. I looked to see ticket prices for the game tonight and cheapest I saw was $400 for obstructed view 400 level seats. If I still lived close to Toronto I might consider it, but I'm in Ottawa so no chance.

Or start by literally forcing fans to wear leafs jerseys if they want entrance to playoff games. Anything to stop the suits.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We all said Ovi was cooked back in the fall and then he came back on fire. He looks cooked in these playoffs cause were completely outclassed and honestly have no business being here. The real problem is not Ovi, it was all the awesome contracts everybody got after the Cup win, those chickens starting coming home to roost last year and this year too. One by one theyre either resolving themselves like Backstrom or finally getting traded away like Kuznetsov. Expect more of this next year. Oshie needs to retire soon. He cant stay healthy but for only a third of the season. Carlson keeps getting older. Patches is phoning it in, wish he accepted a trade. Wilson is Wilson. He shows flashes of great hockey then goes and gets suspended for 8 games. I doubt Ovi gets the record next season but baring something catastrophic he should get it in two more years when his current deal is up. He may go back home to retire on Dynamo Moscow for one last ride, and then the real Caps rebuild can begin.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ovi is still very good for how old he is, IMO, but yeah he can't be the guy driving the bus. And if it's not him, then who? Carlson? Strome? Both of them are excellent players, but probably not guys you would want to say are your #1 player. No one else is even worth mentioning. At least they kept the scores kinda close while they got swept, I guess.

Hes definitely not drive the bus category but I think Lapierre has looked like one of the more competent caps out there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

Hes definitely not drive the bus category but I think Lapierre has looked like one of the more competent caps out there.

Lapierre, Dylan Strome, and Connor McMichael are all looking good. Goalie Charlie Lindgren too. Its just not enough to win a playoff game against the number one team in the league this year. Shesterkin has activated God Mode and New York better hope it doesnt wear off down the line or theyre hoisting the cup.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Cartoon Man posted:

We all said Ovi was cooked back in the fall and then he came back on fire. He looks cooked in these playoffs cause were completely outclassed and honestly have no business being here. The real problem is not Ovi, it was all the awesome contracts everybody got after the Cup win, those chickens starting coming home to roost last year and this year too. One by one theyre either resolving themselves like Backstrom or finally getting traded away like Kuznetsov. Expect more of this next year. Oshie needs to retire soon. He cant stay healthy but for only a third of the season. Carlson keeps getting older. Patches is phoning it in, wish he accepted a trade. Wilson is Wilson. He shows flashes of great hockey then goes and gets suspended for 8 games. I doubt Ovi gets the record next season but baring something catastrophic he should get it in two more years when his current deal is up. He may go back home to retire on Dynamo Moscow for one last ride, and then the real Caps rebuild can begin.

Even 4th line goons like Rempe laugh and say no when Tom Wilson offers to fight like last night, if hes not finishing hits or taking runs at guys youre paying him $6.5mil for 7 years to score 30 points a season lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Surely Washington is in a good position in spite of all of that considering that Hershey is the top team in the AHL for the second year in a row and was one win away from setting the league record for points?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hersheys best players are late 20s AHL plus dudes. John Leonard is a great prospect but the Caps system is pretty mediocre after that.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ryan Leonard.

I'm pretty high on Andrew Cristall as well but yeah, aside from those two their prospects are all very low ceiling dudes. Lapierre is slippery at times but hard to imagine him being more than a middle six guy at best.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Surely Washington is in a good position in spite of all of that considering that Hershey is the top team in the AHL for the second year in a row and was one win away from setting the league record for points?

Theres some good kids coming up but no real superstars or top liners. Maybe Ryan Leonard when hes done with college, wish he came on board for these playoffs, it wouldve been extremely valuable experience for his development.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Probably some nuance to this rule, but I imagine you dont want to have the best AHL team because ideally the guys with real talent have already made the jump to the NHL. Maybe if the top flight team was stacked and there was a log jam at the position, but we know thats not true of Washington.

Hershey is a good program with a really good fanbase, probably the closest thing to the Durham Bulls as (east coast) minor league teams go, but the best players should be moving quickly up when so much development can still happen in the majors.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Watching this goal perfectly encapsulates Scheifele as a player

https://x.com/producerdrew_/status/1784075200234975639?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1784261828677374080

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Doing great, thank you!!!:thumbsup:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Nybble posted:

the best players should be moving quickly up when so much development can still happen in the majors.

I am not sure that moving good prospects up to the NHL as soon as they can possibly play is ideal. Partially because they can presumably get more playing time in the AHL, but more importantly because as soon as they play 10 games in the NHL you eat a year of their entry level contract. Better to let them play at least one borderline year mostly in the AHL (minus a few games to dip a toe in NHL waters).
The easiest way to have a stacked team under a hard cap is to have a couple of good to great players playing on ELC.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

I am not sure that moving good prospects up to the NHL as soon as they can possibly play is ideal. Partially because they can presumably get more playing time in the AHL, but more importantly because as soon as they play 10 games in the NHL you eat a year of their entry level contract. Better to let them play at least one borderline year mostly in the AHL (minus a few games to dip a toe in NHL waters).
The easiest way to have a stacked team under a hard cap is to have a couple of good to great players playing on ELC.

Its a balancing act. Im ok with burning a year if they truly belong in the NHL. Caps prospect Miroshnichenko earned it this year, and burned a year of his. He also got a taste of playoff hockey and that experience is priceless. Just wish Ryan Leonard chose to sign up too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cartoon Man posted:

Shesterkin has activated God Mode and New York better hope it doesnt wear off down the line or theyre hoisting the cup.

:cop: would like a word. I'm curious to see if the Rags have another gear once they face a Team Other Than The Caps.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Mittelstadt was great last night. fully settling into the team. feels good to have a real 2C again

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps probably needed Jensen to win at least one game. Oh well.

Ovi is no more cooked than he has been. He hasn't driven play in years. His shot is still a threat but you still need an actual team to set up his shot.

And it's not happening with this crew in the playoffs. That's OK, we've got another couple years of regular season dingers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME
Yeah my "complaint" about Ovechkin is more that announcers and all seem to be treating him like he's still a superstar and it's kind of silly because as you say he's been cooked

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

Yeah my "complaint" about Ovechkin is more that announcers and all seem to be treating him like he's still a superstar and it's kind of silly because as you say he's been cooked

Theres like maybe 8 players in the league that get superstar media coverage and attention. Its for ratings, lots of people want to watch these players so theyll focus on them. Ovi, Sid, McDavid, Bedard, Matthews, you get the idea. They could be out there re-enacting Ovi_disconnected_controller.gif and theyll hyper focus on them regardless.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Islanders live to see another day, boo

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Levitate posted:

The Caps have an even +/- on the PP during this series, almost exclusively because of Ovechkin. I understand fading Russian stars get a lot of undeserved crap but he is seriously loving things up for them so far, it's egregious.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They wouldn't be in the playoffs without him

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/hockeynight/status/1784302522628264297

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I'm not crying you're crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Leafs are undefeated this series when Matthews scores a goal.