Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

No matter how the Stars game goes, I just want Binnington thrown in a dumpster

After we get a goalie fight. Dude is the only goalie unhinged enough to actually start it that I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

After we get a goalie fight. Dude is the only goalie unhinged enough to actually start it that I can think of.

MAF has tried to get into a fight like five times. I hope someone fights him before his career is done.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Jhet posted:

I don't know that I see Nashville doing much this year along with the Blues. They're both going to win enough games to be a pain to the rest of the Central, but they're not going to be consistently good enough to be anything but an outsider. Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and Winnipeg are likely going to be the top 4 in some order and it's going to be interesting to see if Chicago or Arizona will be the worst this season now that there's nothing to tank for.

oh yeah I was kind of driving towards that I had Nashville 5th, St. Louis 6th and Arizona 7th and that I considered St. Louis closer to Arizona than Nashville in terms of the talent on the roster.

I think the difference between St. Louis and Nashville in my eyes is that while I consider both of them non playoff teams, I would would be shocked if St. Louis grabbed a wildcard spot, whereas I think Nashville finishing in a wild card spot / any one of Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg or Minnesota is well within the realm of possibility.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

No matter how the Stars game goes, I just want Binnington thrown in the bin

fixed that for you

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Makes sense, though I'm a little lower on Nashville this year. It's going to be more of a surprise to me if they can actually get that WC spot, but not as much as StL.

ThinkTank posted:

MAF has tried to get into a fight like five times. I hope someone fights him before his career is done.

I've seen more goalie fights in beer league than I have in the NHL in the last 5 years. It doesn't need to be a classic brawl, but I want enough that they have to write it on the scoresheet.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Cuylle jumping up to the 3rd line is cool. Kakko and Laf are where they should be. I’m sure none of this will last but let’s see

seems cool. first line is gonna rule. second line who knows. hope Laf has some jump in his step and Chytil keeps his steady good progression. third line is very strange. fourth line seems cool, but Vesey was a very good 5v5 player for most of last season. i wouldn't be surprised if him and/or Pitlick get time on the second line if Laf doesn't work out. Pitlick seemed to have some good wheels and Panarin likes little forechecking guys so he can be lazy. I actually think Panarin-Trocheck-Wheeler could be good if Panarin likes playing catch with Wheeler as much as he did Strome. And Trocheck can try to just dig.

but I'm guessing we'll see all of that at some point this season. The defense looks great, especially if Trouba can rebound into not too much of a possession sink!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently I dont pay much attention to the Rangers since they became less evil because I was wondering why Skjei wasnt on the roster but apparently he has been in Carolina since the 19-20 season.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Have you guys heard about how the Edmonton Oilers lost 8-1 to the Vancouver Canucks last night?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1712483746635497855?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Henri Jokiharju’s pick is outstanding. Also lmao Jeff Skinner

Dylan Cozens picking White Horse is also amazing

S-Tier Picks:
Land of 1000 Dances
Rasputin (what part would they play though?? the chorus?)
Freed From Desire (is he trying to do Peterka's On Fire, Your Defense Is Terrified like the soccer chant?)

the rest of em are whatever IMO. a goal song should be maximally tilting to the other team. the Preds have the best one. Chelsea Dagger is maddening when the Hawks were good. Edmonton's is very funny to hear over and over. Minnesota's got a good one that would be sickening if they were a real high scoring team. The dynasty Devils having the biggest moron on the planet doing their goal horn and then playing The Hey Song was an all-timer. The Islanders song could be better but they have one of the best all around sequences. The Rangers' seems to drive people nuts.

the real tragedy is that the Sharks could have had by far and away the best goal song of all time. this would have ruined opposing teams, but they didn't pick it for some reason.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

seems cool. first line is gonna rule. second line who knows. hope Laf has some jump in his step and Chytil keeps his steady good progression. third line is very strange. fourth line seems cool, but Vesey was a very good 5v5 player for most of last season. i wouldn't be surprised if him and/or Pitlick get time on the second line if Laf doesn't work out. Pitlick seemed to have some good wheels and Panarin likes little forechecking guys so he can be lazy. I actually think Panarin-Trocheck-Wheeler could be good if Panarin likes playing catch with Wheeler as much as he did Strome. And Trocheck can try to just dig.

but I'm guessing we'll see all of that at some point this season. The defense looks great, especially if Trouba can rebound into not too much of a possession sink!

With Laf in the top six it’s the only option but defensive-play superstar Blake Wheeler on a shutdown line is def strange. Cuylle and Trocheck will do great in that role so I guess best case scenario Wheeler can let them do that and just focus on keeping the puck under control/set up dirty knock in goals. He lost his wheels but he still has a great pass. It could work. But I’m prepared for lots of juggling.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

Have you guys heard about how the Edmonton Oilers lost 8-1 to the Vancouver Canucks last night?

I have but feel free to elaborate in great detail

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like I should memorialize my game 1 reaction so that I can later point to it and say I told you so:

The Avs were good but not spectacular, and I don't love those line combinations/ defensive pairings. Nichushkin, Drouin, and Johansen all felt like passengers in last night's game, and at least one of them needs to step up and begin driving play.

Defensively, I just think it keeps coming back to Girard being an awkward fit. He can't play with Byram or Makar, and if they try to accommodate him, they just open up other holes elsewhere.
Everything will probably sort itself out once someone gets injured, but realistically he's a 3rd pair dman on this team when everyone is fully healthy, that is costing $5 million against the cap and has a modified NTC starting next season.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

S-Tier Picks:
Land of 1000 Dances
Rasputin (what part would they play though?? the chorus?)
Freed From Desire (is he trying to do Peterka's On Fire, Your Defense Is Terrified like the soccer chant?)

F-tier:
They didn't make the goalies pick just in case.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

VOTE1 posted:

Apparently Demko was dehydrated, threw up in his mask, yum.

bummer. throw up in your mask the first game of the season, gotta play the rest of the 81 with a Puke Helmet. grody!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

pseudodragon posted:

F-tier:
They didn't make the goalies pick just in case.

It should just be the hallelujah chorus if that happens

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Tarasenko looked fuckin sloooow last night, definitely glad his agent hosed up a 3-year deal

Overpaying a Russian star player way past their prime is a time honored tradition though so it was expected

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1712483746635497855?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Henri Jokiharju’s pick is outstanding. Also lmao Jeff Skinner

Dylan Cozens picking White Horse is also amazing
Once Quinn is back and Olofsson is traded away for peanuts someone else needs to take over Gimme Gimme Gimme.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1712564790428582367

Fuckin' look at that drip. Simultaneously horrid and beautiful.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1712564790428582367

Fuckin' look at that drip. Simultaneously horrid and beautiful.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Furnaceface posted:

Apparently I dont pay much attention to the Rangers since they became less evil because I was wondering why Skjei wasnt on the roster but apparently he has been in Carolina since the 19-20 season.

The Rangers never became less evil hth

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Their Lundqvist era teams weren't all that bad imo. Dubinsky was kind of a shitter but other than that a pretty honorable set of teams. But their teams before and since are definitely not my favorites.

Although Adam Fox is cool and I like watching him a lot

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

absolutely. we’re very much an evil thing until you remember New Jersey and Long Island exist. then we’re just better in comparison

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Flyers haven't been evil in a while and that's kind of upsetting. They need to get back to it

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

absolutely. we’re very much an evil thing until you remember New Jersey and Long Island exist. then we’re just better in comparison

Maybe this is what's throwing me off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't you dare, that jersey is awesome while Laine's suit just looks like a debit card.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Excited for Flyers/Jackets. I think. Probably not. Let's go hockey though?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Two Bad Teams games feel like they are either complete snoozefests or crazy fun games with no middle ground.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

MAF tried figuring a deranged Binnington last year and the ref restrained MAF saying you’re crazy Binnington will literally murder you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jeff Rimer is retiring at the end of the season, so enjoy him calling at least one of the teams on the ice the Florida Panthers one more time!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea I'm not really seeing the sacrifice. He was a third overall pick and while he definitely never lived up to it, the talent is there. He's basically on a league minimum salary and he's playing with a guy he's had proven, insane, chemistry with (even if it was a decade ago) and your superstar franchise player is happy about it. Landeskog is on LTIR and who else is going to be the LW for Rantanen and MacKinnon? Lehkonen? Seems like Drouin is just as fine an option.

I dunno, I was trying for a joke about how he only had 1 point last night, and his linemates had 3 and 4. It reminded me of all the Pens fans in here pissing and moaning about Kunitz in seasons past.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Two Bad Teams games feel like they are either complete snoozefests or crazy fun games with no middle ground.

Patrik Laine is playing 1C.

Fake edit- and a beautiful backcheck to break up what could have been a Philadelphia breakaway just now.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Let's Go Sharks tonight!

*Narrator voice* They didn't go anywhere, or will this entire season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Garnet Hathaway just took a five for kneeing Zach Werenski behind the net.

Well, it was a five, now it's two.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://nhl.witcontests.com/nhl/sweepstakes/map/playoffs-heatmap-2304014

Kind of a fun thing here with a heat map of fans around the US and Canada and where they live.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

trilljester posted:

Let's Go Sharks tonight!

*Narrator voice* They didn't go anywhere, or will this entire season.
I've been turning Sharks games off once the other team has a three goal lead. No sense stewing in frustration over a lost cause. I found the amount of free time I gained last season quite refreshing. Looking forward to more of it, might not even make it out of the first period tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Keith Mars posted:

I've been turning Sharks games off once the other team has a three goal lead. No sense stewing in frustration over a lost cause. I found the amount of free time I gained last season quite refreshing. Looking forward to more of it, might not even make it out of the first period tonight.

Yeah, I did this with Columbus games last year starting at about November. YouTube is more fun than bad hockey.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Seeing the Rangers play structured system hockey is weird.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1712629026798403689?t=TN7jIj7kW7HCsKpwdF167Q&s=19

Come for the knee-on-knee, stay for the "You're such a loving piece of poo poo!".

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1712629026798403689?t=TN7jIj7kW7HCsKpwdF167Q&s=19

Come for the knee-on-knee, stay for the "You're such a loving piece of poo poo!".

I hope Werenski was alright, he is an amazing player and you would hate to see his bad injury luck roll forward to another year :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hathaway's flash