Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't want to compete with high school football in the U.S. South, the only region Bettman cares about

Aren't Fridays usually slow days since all the Canadian teams want the Saturday slots which takes like 10-14 teams out of the equation without back-to-backs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

S-Tier Picks:
Land of 1000 Dances
Rasputin (what part would they play though?? the chorus?)
Freed From Desire (is he trying to do Peterka's On Fire, Your Defense Is Terrified like the soccer chant?)

F-tier:
They didn't make the goalies pick just in case.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

NHL scheduling is based on load up Saturday and work backwards from that so Fridays are always quiet, especially week 1 where all 7 Canadian teams require games preferably not with each other.

So Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday are the consistently busier days.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Reaves seems like he'd be a fun dude to have in the role they wanted guys like Simmonds/Clifford for. Dude that plays like once a week or if the team is in a funk and needs some good vibes and then goes back to being a cheerleader the rest of the time.

I guess Keefe 4th liner is about the same with like 3 minutes of non-garbage ice time.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So is that just a change in type of locale, and smaller teams on site?

Sounds like it. Don't care about the billion people onstage announcing each pick and giving the same preamble thanking everyone each time, but the idea of a team guy excitedly announcing their pick is more fun than Gary reading it. And it's neat watching guys walk down from the stands.

If the draftees still show up and there's just one or two guys from each team as the pick reader/welcoming committee, that might be the best option.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

If they want a weekday night to set up, Tuesday is the best pick since most teams are going to be playing anyways.

Friday would be stupid for TV and would damage Saturday, which would be one of the few things that could get Bettman fired for even suggesting.

Monday is hard because of MNF for half the season and unless you want no games on Sunday, matchups will be limited anyways.

Wednesday is a little awkward since if teams are playing Saturday/Wednesday, Monday's the only day they can get a third game in without guaranteed back to backs and we don't want Monday's as a heavy day.

That leaves Tuesday/Thursday as heavy game days.

As long as HNIC exists, the league is going to work on either a Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday or Monday-Wednesday-Saturday as a "normal" week and the Tuesday week allows for easier Sunday scheduling.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’ve been watching since 7, and…it’s very good. They absolutely need to find a way to do this more often. It doesn’t have to be all 32 teams - just pick a day in the week and make sure 10 or 12 games are playing that night. Stagger the starts, let it rip.

If they turned say, Wednesdays into frozen frenzy night or whatever it would own. Too bad the NHL sucks poo poo and probably won’t do it. Hopefully the ratings are good enough that espn pushes for it.

Why Wednesday over Tuesday? Tuesday/Thursday works much better for the league logistically if they want to load up a weekday and not have too many back to backs.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How much money is the dumb league costing charities by not letting teams wear these on ice before auctioning them off?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I think that's in Connecticut.

Lol.

But yeah, the names suck. I can understand wanting a clean break from the old leagues but Whitecaps was a cool name, and Pride, Furies and Riveters get bonus points for being cool women's team names.

Bard Maddox posted:

at least they didn’t go with the alternate names for some of the other cities like the New York Hamiltons or the Ottawa Kinky Boots

The Toronto Six were ahead of their time.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 26, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I missed this post originally, but Boston Wicked is loving awful.

What, you don't also want the Montreal Tabernak and New York Forgeddboudits?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Players are stupid idiots about safety and will always choose comfort over protection. But it's not like it's unique to NHLers, or hockey players, or even athletes in general. People are dumb about safety in general. How many traffic laws only exist because people don't take basic care of themselves (ie seatbelt, helmet laws) and someone in a leadership position finally put their foot down and said "you guys are all dumb, do this now". I'm sure most workplace safety rules fall into the same bucket of "we know it's easier/faster/less annoying, but if you keep doing it someone will die, so no".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's also from the players.

The NHLPA doesn't care about safety, just maximizing earnings.

That's not true. They care about comfort, looking cool, and not looking like weenies as well. Who cares about safety when your colleagues are going to call you mean names about wearing proper PPE.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Obviously if Pierre lied to McCrimmon about Dadonov not having a NTC that’s greasy as hell and deserves punishment, but it’s funny to me that his contract was publicly available on capfriendly and the trade still went through. Feels like hfboards posters put more research into these trades than the GM of a pro sports team

Also why the 18-month delay in punishment?

Everyone knew he had a modified NTC, the problem is the modified bit which isn't public. So everyone knew he has a list of x teams he can't be traded to but not which teams. I don't remember if the process was player/agent sends list to the team and the team is supposed to keep it confidential and and not gently caress around or if they are supposed to forward the list to the league. I think they changed it to agent sends it to both the team and the league after this mess.

The accusation, which is probably true since the trade didn't go through, was that the Sens either lied and said they didn't get a list from Dadonov or were incompetent and lost it. Either way, when the league/Vegas looked/asked for a list Ottawa said "it's cool. there's no list". And Vegas can't ask the agent directly since that's tampering (and I'm guessing Ottawa would not give permission in this case).

There's even reasonable reasons for wanting to do it that way. If the team doesn't try to trade a guy it never comes up and there's no real upside in making deatils officially accessible since it just leads to stories like "90% of people with M-NTC/NMCs have X team on their list (the other 10% are on X)". And dumbass baby fans who go after players for having their team on their list. So the pros would be a little privacy for the player while the con is that a team can try to screw around, but no team would be stupid enough to gently caress around with something that is easily verifiable by the player, right?

Not sure why there'd be a delay other than maybe they found some evidence of intentional deceit on the Sens part rather than incompetence? Like if the original investigation was something like Dorion saying he personally didn't know Vegas was banned and that they fired the AGM that M-NTCs get run through, the league might have accepted the firings of some scapegoats because they didn't have enough hard evidence to counter plausible deniability.

I wonder what could be damning enough to reopening the books but not obvious enough that it didn't come out instantly. Like it can't be something super clear cut like a signed, notarized letter from Dorion to the agent confirming he got the list and promising not to trade him to Vegas.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pinto got 41 games for insider trading OP. Seems straight forward. Lol that Chicago gets away with a pile of crimes though and Ottawa gets nuked. Dogshit garbage league.

Ottawa got nuked for loving with player contracts and straight lying about CBA related atuff. And more importantly, doing so in an incompetent way that they couldn't claim some legal cover for like the Mike Richards stuff.

Chicago should also have gotten nuked, but Ottawa absolutely needs to be made an example of if they were actively lying rather than incompetent.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's down to 8th now but yeah, I'm not sure why Oates never gets any respect. He was in every way "what if Joe Thornton, but human shaped" and no one seems to question Thornton's HOF credentials.

Oates had more assists than Backstrom had points. And Backstrom's the one guy that can't use the "but Oates only got numbers by feeding Hull all day" excuse.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Nah, he's using that to get something like the draft or an all-star game.

All star game maybe, but the problem they are having is no one wants to host the draft which is why they are floating the smaller format.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Teams want to host that's not a problem. The problem is that teams don't want to travel for it.

Both.

From the athletic article about it
https://theathletic.com/4974239/2023/10/18/nhl-draft-changes-decentralization?source=user-shared-article

quote:

Among the broader issues the NHL has started to face with the event is a limited number of clubs being willing to serve as its host, which restricts scheduling options because of building availability. That’s because while the draft is typically a boon for the local tourism economy given the large number of visitors it brings to a city, it doesn’t typically come with a windfall for the host team.

So not no one wants to host it, but also probably not a competitive enough process that you need to blackmail the league to get a shot.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Andlauer said he was aware of the Dadonov situation but said it was downplayed by the team. Not sure what the NHL is supposed to do there.

Replace Andlauer with Vegas and that's how we got into this mess in the first place.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

One game, but Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok looked like the most real third line the Leafs have had all season, and just as important they keep Kampf where he belongs on the fourth. Kind of frustrating that they could have started the season with that combo instead of giving Minten his cup of coffee.

I think the issue with Bertuzzi so far is that he really, really sucks at moving the puck through the neutral zone, he’s still pretty effective in front of the net.

I wouldn't mind giving Nick a shot with JT/Willy in the puck hound/loose puck retriever role. He'd probably explode in like 2 games, but he's got the right attitude for it and he's got the ability. And he's got a legit shot for a third option.

Which would also give Bertuzzi and Domi a chance to do some damage on a sheltered 3rd line in lower pressure/competition minutes. Bertuzzi's a little redundant with JT in front of he's with them instead of the top line.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

JT is also pretty bad at transporting the puck up ice himself, which makes Bert an awkward fit on his line even though they should match up well in-zone.

Yeah, Willy is great at it, but you can't saddle him with two guys that aren't a credible threat. JT/Bertuzzi don't even have the speed to win dump and chase races even though JTs pretty good once he gets in there.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ken Holland needs to trade every asset+ jack Campbell for a goaltender with a pulse holy poo poo

Every asset is the price for someone to take Campbell, so what are they giving up for the goalie?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Matthews for MVP, Knows for rookie of the year. It just feels different this year :canada:

Woll for both if he can bail the team out of Samsonov sucking.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

They'll finally fire him and then replace him with Dallas Eakins, probably

They're waiting for Toronto to fire Keefe so they can hire him.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

It is absolutely amazing how poorly this leagues PR is run. Just taking every wrong turn possible. Hockey culture is loving toxic at every level of the sport currently and I have never been so turned off from watching despite being at a time when the league is arguably stacked more than any other point with on ice talent.

But if we allowed cancer ribbons, we'd have to allow rainbows which would exclude our traditional fan base. You see, we are being promoting equality and fairness by being openly lovely to everyone. It's the evil woke agenda that are forcing people away from the game.

Edit: The league has to do this because if they allow it and not pride stuff, then their policy becomes actively discriminatory and possibly illegal and not just generically lovely.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 11, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Even on a dirty hit, I'm good with the instigator penalty as long as the ref calls the original. You either get street justice or the law, you don't get to beat up the guy and the powerplay, make a choice.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s worth noting that two different GMs identified the same need for offense and puck-moving in the Leafs D corps and Keefe has bungled both attempts to integrate more of that into the team.

Sandin was also growing into the role that they could have stuck with him but it seems like both Dubas and Treliving thought the issue might not have been Keefe is incapable of using non-Rielly puck moving D, but that he needed better versions of the guy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

and the rumor is that the New York Sound are playing in Connecticut and the Boston Wicked are set to play in... Lowell.

I was one of the roughly 400 adults who attended a Pride game and I am certainly not driving to loving Lowell for this.

Toronto is playing in the old Maple Leaf Gardens building which is kind of cool. It's now just a 2600 seat arena used by one of the local universities with the rest of the building carved up into the rest of their athletic department facilities/gym and a grocery store.

So good location, but hopefully they outgrow the size and move up.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Just looking at the Sweden schedule and did the Leafs just tell the league we're only going if we get to make the schedule?

They get the Wings and Wild both on the back end of back to backs and they don't have to give up a home game.

The Sens give up 2 home games but no back to backs and they don't miss a Leaf payday at home.

Wings/Wild both play consecutive days and have 1h/1a.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Crow bars aren’t exactly in short supply, so :v:

In all seriousness it was a huge bet in hindsight to expect a “prove it” season from a guy having chronic mobility issues, if the team was aware of the severity of what was ailing him that raises some questions about the signing, and if they weren’t aware that raises even bigger questions.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if LTIR discussions were part of negotiations. Like the team thinks the player may or may not be healthy but the players like "Give me a shot, if I'm healthy, great. If not, you've got a built n excuse to send me to the Island."

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

They could’ve done regions (NA, EUW, EUE, Nordic) but nah why do that. It’s not like there’s any Ukrainian players to piss off

Eew, Team NA just turns the tournament from "at least there's a Canada/USA and Sweden/Finland games which should be fun" to even more useless than an all star game. Even if the tournament is pointless, you can hype people up for a random Canada/USA game.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Having all four countries host a preliminary series game is sort of neat though, if it plays out that way.

A Canada-US home-and-away would be pretty sweet. I'm sure Sweden-Finland would be the same.

Vancouver-Seattle, Toronto-Buffalo/Detroit, or Montreal-Boston with a day in between (since there's no chance they'll go b2b) would be cool.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

Do a summit series so Canada can take down the evil American empire like they did the evil Soviet empire.

That would kick so much rear end. By game 8 you'd get crazy poo poo like Marner losing his mind and going Bobby Clarke on Auston.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Levitate posted:

NHLPA should file a grievance
Lol. As if the players aren't the problem in the first place. The whole reason for the rule is to provide cover for the homophobes so they don't look bad for opting out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Thanks for posting the ThinkTank post. This is where I would have read about Clarke.

As for 1-2 in scoring. I guess I meant in general. Maybe it's happened really early in the season, but I don't remember it happening this late in the season.

It'd have to be pretty early in the season. There's some Bourque/Coffey years where they were both pretty high scoring. Unless I missed someone, the most points for a second highest scoring defenceman was Bourque with 96 in 83-84 to Coffey's 126. But unless Wayne twisted an ankle on opening night or something, Coffey was probably never the highest scoring on his team even for a day.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wait does that mean they threw the goalies out too? Bob was just standing there, and what did the Sens goalie do?

Was expecting way more of an 80s style line brawl than that based on 13 misconducts

Goalies don't count as people.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

All jokes aside, the Blackhawks should have an obligation to disclose what behavior got him shitcanned. Another team might want to take a chance on him, and there's a big difference between him having a consensual relationship with another player's mom (funny, not illegal) and him dropping slurs and hate crimes or whatever else it could have been.

They should have an obligation to tell other teams. They don't necessarily have to tell the public if it is something private like the Bedard thing. I'm assuming they need to at least tell the PA as there could be grievances involved if it's bullshit.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Wouldn't substance abuse be covered in the CBA under the wellness program? Like they can't just cut him for it, he'd have to go into recovery unless they have a Richards-esque "trafficking" case.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Corey Perry got extremely drunk and started talking poo poo about how the Blackhawks got off easy for the stuff they covered up.

Until we know the whole story which will 100% be something awful and not actually what I suggested, I will choose to believe my make believe fantasy land story.

Unless he straight up punched someone at the event, doesn't he have an out of "yeah, I did it. I've got a drinking problem, pay me for rehab and you can't say poo poo about it".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's going to be quite the anticlimax if Ovi falls 20 goals short of Gretzky purely because he lost like 1.5 seasons to lockouts.

Ovie should be there now. He's at 827 now, we'll say he missed 45 in his age 18 season since he scored 52 the following year and probably wasn't as good at 18. For 2012, give him a 1-1 conversion from his KHL stats to add another 19 which seems close enough as it brings him to 51 which would be in line with his surrounding seasons. That gets him to 891 but then Wayne needs a couple added for his half season. He scored 23 the following year so add another 12 for him to get to 907.

So without workstoppages Ovie is probably in the neighborhood 10-20 back depending on how those seasons played out.

#2 NHL seasons were 80 games for most of his career, not 82 (13 seasons) Which is 26 games, though there were also 2 seasons at 84 games, so its 22 total games.

Oh yeah, and those were Wayne's silly years too. That's probably something like 15 more for him (that's a 54 goal pace which might even be low for early Gretz). So like 30ish back then.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the one that gets me is Jagr and games played. He really deserves the Mr. Hockey name as much as anyone since Howe. He could have hit 2000 NHL games played if not for the lockouts and Russia. 4 full seasons and another 60 would put him at 2030 or something.

Yeah, Jagr was ridiculous. He also missed the half season for 94-95 so let's say 25 for that. He scored 31 and 54 surrounding the lockout so we'll just say 40 to keep it simple. The year before and after leaving for his 3 year Russia trip he had 25 and 19 which lines up with how he did there (25-22-19 in ~50 game seasons) so we'll just give him the 66. He wasn't the same Jagr by 2013 so we'll just give him 10 there. An extra 141 puts him at 901.

Howe getting credit for his 6 WHA years would be crazy too if we're adding other leagues. He had 174 in the WHA for 975, but it's probably not a straight 1-1 translation. He never had more than 34 so he wasn't putting up super inflated numbers though. He had 15 in his comeback NHL season so he could still play. Just giving him the 15 a year would put him at 892. 20 a year gets him to 922.