Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I read it as you saying to a mate, “come on, let’s go” after they give up their 7th goal.

Or Petey saying it to Quinn after they finish 25th this season..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So for some reason I (in Australia) now need to use a VPN to listen to Sportsnet radio (I can listen to the pre game show, but not the actual broadcast), which is fine but then to watch it on ESPN I need to turn off the VPN..

I mistakenly got the impression of the NHL in flying two teams around the world to play games in Australia had some kind of broad goal to grow the game here by making it easy to consume.

It’s not like there’s an hot market for Australian NHL radio rights!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Apparently Demko was dehydrated, threw up in his mask, yum.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So tonight either OEL is going to score the game winner (possibly completing his hattrick), or be directly responsible for 4 goals against.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Simplex posted:

Do we need to have an intervention with Pacific Division or something? They're is an awful lot of dogshit and garbage going on there currently.

Compared to a couple of seasons ago it’s much improved!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The NHL rightly gets shat on when they schedule 4 games on a day all starting at the exact same time. This is them doing the complete opposite so props to them.

If the price for that is some games at inconvenient start times (for some viewers) then so be it.

Also given Vegas are 6-0, I’m sure any Philly fans can probably still go to bed by 11:30 knowing the result.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’ve been watching since 7, and…it’s very good. They absolutely need to find a way to do this more often. It doesn’t have to be all 32 teams - just pick a day in the week and make sure 10 or 12 games are playing that night. Stagger the starts, let it rip.

I almost think there's too many games on at once, it feels a bit to frenetic cutting around.

That said its pretty cool format, more or less highlights.. but its live. I like.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

Frozen Frenzy was a fun gimmick. the one takeaway is that they gotta stagger start times every day a little bit. just do this every Thursday or whatever

Agree, I really enjoyed it. Although I wish they cut to more great saves or anything other than goals. Quite often you knew what was going to happen.

Also does ESPN normally talk about players college teams as much as Pierre McGuire used to?

And Canucks Win!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

He was actually on a podcast and answered a question in a really long way that meant they only got time to do 3 of their 4 betting ad reads.

Think of the children.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think a single person on earth expected this

The Athletic have that preseason game where you have to say up to 5 teams who you are certain will make the playoffs (And likewise 5 that definitely won’t). It’s basically an exercise in proving everyone is far too confident as to who is good who is bad. https://theathletic.com/4927891/2023/10/06/nhl-prediction-contest-2023-playoffs-teams/?amp=1

I had a look and most of the submissions have oilers as a lock for playoffs.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

Something I just noticed perusing San Jose's roster, something Canucks can tell you is a very bad sign, is that the Sharks' top PP defenseman is apparently Kyle Burroughs. Burroughs doesn't have a point so far.

Bit of a falloff from Karlsson, there.

Burroughs played 4.3 minutes of power play time across two seasons… (of which I assume is entirely accidentally on the ice (4v4 turning into a pp) or during a blowout when your not actually trying to score..

Surely they could have claimed one of the many good offensive D’s but who are flawed defensively so they can atleast have a functioning power play. The Canucks example is Rathbone, but I imagine there’s close to one in every system who mostly would have had to clear waivers.

And it’s not like adding such a guy would make you win heaps more games and ruin you draft position - aforementioned defensive warts and all - but it might mean you lose more games 6-3 instead of 4-0. I can’t imagine ticket sales are going great right now.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They are a 45% xGF team 5v5 currently scoring 70% of the goals. They are absolutely a fluke.

Edit: ^^^ the Canucks PK is currently 77% which is a smidge below NHL average of 79%.

Sure they have an average PK now, but that’s like 12 points higher than last season. The most common goal they let in last season was a series of cross seam passes resulting in a back door tap ins. This seasons it’s generally been far more normal.

The Canucks haven’t had offence problems for the last couple of years. The last two seasons they have had two different guys get 99+ points, and one of the top offence D’s in the league. The problem was they literally couldn’t defend.

Now they are a team with a good offence with perhaps a league average defence/structure (as opposed to bottom 5). That’s not going to win a cup, but while guys like Hughes are hot it’s going to allow you to go on some winning streaks.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Campbell started the first game for Edmonton, which you could use as a proxy for who they thought (hoped) the starter would be (no injuries to factor).

Has a teams starting goalie been waived a dozen games into the season before?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Have we talked about the Connor Brown contract? Because that is a huge ticking time bomb for the Oil.

Bonus laden deal that cashes a 3m cap hit for next season if he plays 10 games this year. 9 games in he has been absolutely atrocious and probably isn't even an NHLer.. So the Oil could waive him and save the big payout, but it's likely that it was a handshake deal to keep his cap hit lower for this season.

Vegas is the only team who would pull that move. 100% it would have been a handshake deal (is there a lower threshold?)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

the canucks second line is miller, boeser and pdg. you're delusional if you think they're gonna keep scoring like they have been

No, but I didn’t say that (nor has anyone..)

The Canucks have 54 goals through 12 games, have been involved in more blowouts than one goal games (of which have split 2-2). There’s far too much non normal usage and game management situations to use already too small samples to make sweeping statements.

Also this idea that because a period of PDO is too high means the next period is going to harshly correct is as dumb as walking up to a roulette table and saying oh 5 reds in a row, put the house on black! Yes at some point there’s going to be a run on black, but another run on red is as likely.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

i didn't say anything about pdo. the canucks aren't some offensive powerhouse though. their 4th best forward is probably ilya mikheyev. their 3rd and 4th lines are both objectively bad. they aren't going to make the playoffs by being defensively average and outscoring their opponents all season

Again nobody said powerhouse. I said they don’t have offence problems - they scored more goals in the regular season than Vegas last season, yes they could be better, but I haven’t watched a game since Green was fired and thought “the problem here is generating offence”.

I think you mistaking Canucks fans perhaps overreacting to having a team that might be good as Canucks fans think the parade should be planned.

The Canucks are probably going to be a playoff team, perhaps partly due to some good fortune early, but largely due to the anchor of Jim Benning not loving the team on a bi monthly basis.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

the canucks second line is miller, boeser and pdg. you're delusional if you think they're gonna keep scoring like they have been

66.6% shooting tonight!

(Although I think the actual answer here is the decision to try and play Quinn with the Miller line instead of the Petey line is a huge part of what is making this line dangerous)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I thought there must be some other reason. drat, I am naive.

Reminds me of 2010ish when I was on holiday going through Canada, saw Winnipeg play Montreal's AHL team, PK Subban was playing for them and a few people in the crowd were abusing him at every opportunity. I thought haha that’s funny give poo poo to the hot Montreal prospect. Then some other black guy (assume a 4th liner as he barely played) came on and got the same treatment and I was like oh..that’s not funny anymore.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't understand at all how they went from absolute trash to second in the Atlantic. Feels like just the other day I was watching them play like garbage against Toronto in person. I guess I broke the curse? They're 7-1-1 since I went to the game.

The most noticeable slump is the one that occurs in the first 2 weeks of the season.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1724774702873194814

Where does this fall on the NHL marketing scale? Some where between NFT’s and the Guardians?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

NHL Point Leaders:

Elias Pettersson 26
JT Miller 26
Quinn Hughes 26

Just as everyone assumed.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Well yeah, they don’t just pick 3 teams and go “surprise you’re off to Sweden in November”, each team would have their price, be it direct $ (pay our costs), indirect (we’re not losing home games), other schedule/rest (we want a light schedule post Sweden), or other schedule stuff (no other long road trips, or finish season with 4 games at home or crowd drawing matchups or prime time tv scheduling. Could probably even request a wheel of justice respin if you wanted.

I’m sure the Wild and Wings have their own concessions (even if slightly less as I assume the NHL wanted a contending team there).

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like how teams around the league change all of their board ads to purple for cancer awareness and then the digital boards mask them anyway.

I’ve been wondering about this, how much money are arenas losing now that they cant make as much money from selling board ads?

Or are they all owned by the same parent companies that own the networks so it doesn’t really matter?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So who is getting fired/traded in St Louis?

5-0 to the sharks is something.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

He hasn’t been great, but I think it was only supposed to be one game, but the Seattle game all the wingers had a pretty good game and I imagine it was let’s keep going with the good thing. Obviously losing to the sharks should see him right back in. It’s also a symptom of the unbalanced nature of the team, too many wingers, not enough D. He’s played better than numerous defenders, but can’t really afford to scratch (to send a message) Myers/Juulsen when next man up isn’t really up to it.

I don’t think he’s playing to badly, I think it’s a combination of
a) last season was obviously an outlier,
b) his role has changed a little, less net front tips as a result (which as an aside are great for shooting % as they are either on target and very high danger, or they miss and don’t count as a shot), and
c) I think he’s being marked a lot tighter, last year he was this unknown guy who benefited from teams over committing to Petey and giving him unmarked back door taps ins. They aren’t happening this year.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Also- Beuvillier to Chicago for a 5th :siren

Done well to not have to give up something, he was fine, but just didn’t really move the needle and cost too much.

Also assume that means Ethan Bear is almost healthy.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

No retained salary, no assets given up for a guy with a bad contract. Seems like a win to me!

Pretty much, he was thrown into the trade with Detroit to balance salary, at the time i'm sure the Canucks would have taken a 5th instead of him.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The list of things that don’t involve a police investigation but are severe enough for a team to cut someone (productive and a veteran) loose it’s a pretty small number of things. That list of things that don’t attract a league penalty (ie gambling/doping) is even smaller.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Paying a 3rd in 26 to swap Beauvillier for Zadorov is pretty good I think. It’s not going to fix all their problems, but if it means there’s less games Hughes and Hronek have to play almost 30 minutes and eventually break then it’s worth it.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

He doesn’t need to be great, just passable enough to drop Hughes minutes to something sane, and equally important drop Myers minutes so that he isn’t horribly exposed.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I’ve got bad news for you.

He’s pushing out of the lineup some combination of Juulsen (ex first round draft pick who’s just not quite up to it), Friedman (definition of a 7/8 D), McWard/Hirose (recent college signings who might one day be bottom pair defenders, but need a lot of work/muscle), or a couple of other NHL/AHL tweeners - I think the Canucks had called up 36 yo Matt Irwin this week as injury cover.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how are the Canucks fans rationalizing this unprecedented success?

Like is the expectation/reality split shattering brains across the community?

Does anybody need to yell about JT Miller's contract to even themselves out

I think it’s clear the Canucks are better than the middle of the road teams, which has played out in them generally winning those games. That makes sense a core of Petey, Hughes, Miller and Demko is generally better than most non playoff teams cores. They have seemingly improved the depth around them to ‘ok’.

It’s also clear they aren’t in the top tier. Outside of the Dallas game they have been comprehensively dealt with by Vegas, Colorado, Toronto, Tampa etc. I think the Rangers game is the only one against a contender where they didn’t get the win and perhaps should have, everything else has been a bit of a lesson.

It’s seems likely that they will make the playoffs, but also equally likely they they will be outmatched (skill wise yes, but perhaps more experience/tactically) once they get there.

The question then becomes do they have the prospect pipeline/draft capital to reconfirmed cheaply to allow the team to reach that next tier - that seems like a tough ask.

Still though finishing 6th in the west and getting booted from the playoffs is so much better then finishing tenth (with a late season winning streak)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Tampa is actually an excellent comparison, they are doing ok this season (not great) despite having a declining roster depth wise and missing their goalie for 20 games to start the season. There is no way the Canucks could deal with losing Demko for that long (exhibit a: last season)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

3-2 with a few highlight-reel saves from each netminder is better than 5-4. The latter feels overindulgenent.

A 3-2 games they turns in 5-4 (OT not shootout) result with one or more late goals is the best of both worlds.

Games where it’s 4-3 early in the second period do make the goals feel cheaper.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Nah at some point he’ll get a a gig as special advisor to the general manager or something, which will mean he never has to do a press conference or be held accountable or even know what they do. At some point said team will do something well (draft a good guy/win a trade etc) and the team will put out word that he was instrumental to it occurring.

Team will then fire someone else because the teams goalie turned into a sieve for a 20 game stretch, said team will now appoint him in an interim role. Said goalie will remember how to stop the puck, and our new GM will be credited with turning the team around due to change in culture they drove through the whole organisation.

And so the wheel of time turns.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

This is great hockey, he just goes where the puck is going to be.

As much as this is lol Myers, this clip is also a great example of what makes elite players, Hughes has probably done the video on all the defenders and knows there’s a good chance Myers might do that, I doubt that’s just luck. But not only predicting the bad play, but does so in a position where he can create a grade A chance in half a second.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

Done, no take backs. Myers will be bundled up and shipped to Pittsburgh on the next cargo plane large enough.

I imagine they move giraffes by land when possible, it’s more humane.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The difference between 10th last and 14th last is a couple of garbage time wins (source: Canucks fan),

There aren’t many things that would make you unemployable in the GM circle, trading away a pick that became a #1 would be on the list. So regardless of how small the odds I can see many GM’s going for it.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

It’s not like they are doing bad enough the fans were calling for blood right? Seems weird to pay two coaches to get the same mediocre results with a mediocre roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I cannot stand this Kuzmenko discourse, you signed a one dimensional winger to a big contract, have taken him away from how he got most of his goals, drop him off the first line because he’s not scoring (Petey playing injured atleast a part of this), put him on the 4th line and then ask him to play himself back playing with 4th line players.

Ofcourse it’s not working.

Not even saying it’s the wrong decision, after all the version of the Canucks that Kuzmenko succeeded on also gave up 10 2-on-1’s a game, but stop trying to jam a square peg in a round hole (and then blaming the peg).