Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think that Vancouver makes the playoffs this year. This is the season that has been promised to Canucks fans for near a decade now. They will start with beating the Oilers tonight. Believe in the Canucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think it's meant to be read "Let's come on Go!'

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Is that the first 8 year extension for a guy who's played under 100 career games?

Klingberg signed a 7 year extension after his ELC after playing 65 NHL games in 1 season..

That was possibly the steal of the century when it comes to contracts lol, Klinger has not been well served by his agents over the years

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah people have been spitting out that line about Ryan Reaves for like 8 years now and he's always been completely unplayable even in his 6 minutes a night role in the lineup

**The funniest thing is that all TV broadcasters are somehow conditioned to point out literally every time that a player like this does anything above falling flat on their face. "Oh man, did you see that dump in? and then he finished his check on the defenseman after the puck was moved on! That's why you have Zack MacEwan in the lineup in games like this!" and I just imagine if any other random 2nd line player got that kind of reaction every single shift when they make a pass, backcheck or cover the slot in their own end lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 12, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Dallas is going to blitz the Blues like 5-1 tonight, I can feel it. There's a number of Blues fans who are deranged enough to think this team is going to finish 3rd in the Central and very likely make the playoffs for some reason

ehh we'll see.. I think the Blues still have a solid group of forwards (atleast their top 6) and Binnington can still win a game for them.

I mean I think they could easily win tonight.. not that they are going to finish 3rd in the central (I view them as the 6th best team and closer to Arizona than Nashville).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jhet posted:

I don't know that I see Nashville doing much this year along with the Blues. They're both going to win enough games to be a pain to the rest of the Central, but they're not going to be consistently good enough to be anything but an outsider. Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and Winnipeg are likely going to be the top 4 in some order and it's going to be interesting to see if Chicago or Arizona will be the worst this season now that there's nothing to tank for.

oh yeah I was kind of driving towards that I had Nashville 5th, St. Louis 6th and Arizona 7th and that I considered St. Louis closer to Arizona than Nashville in terms of the talent on the roster.

I think the difference between St. Louis and Nashville in my eyes is that while I consider both of them non playoff teams, I would would be shocked if St. Louis grabbed a wildcard spot, whereas I think Nashville finishing in a wild card spot / any one of Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg or Minnesota is well within the realm of possibility.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1712629026798403689?t=TN7jIj7kW7HCsKpwdF167Q&s=19

Come for the knee-on-knee, stay for the "You're such a loving piece of poo poo!".

I hope Werenski was alright, he is an amazing player and you would hate to see his bad injury luck roll forward to another year :(

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I don't know how it's possible, but the Flames are infinitely less likable than last year.

gently caress this team

huh? what have they done to sour you so much after 2 games? lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait, how did that happen? I thought they had Charlotte or whatever?

Edit: oh Charlotte is Florida’s affiliate. Weird.

Yeah historically the Charlotte Checkers were the Hurricane's affiliate.. not sure what happened there lol

apparently the Chicago Wolves are now an "independent" hockey team, which means they signed their own roster of AHL players (or possibly accepted AHL players from various NHL teams on loans I guess).

I would be interested in reading on what caused this shuffle for 2023-24 and why Carolina was the one that ended up without an affiliate.. I guess they just lost out in the game of musical chairs?

**edit - I guess the Hurricanes switched from the Checkers to the Chicago Wolves as their affiliate for the 2020-21 season and that's when the Florida Panthers took Charlotte.. the Wolves were the ones that decided to unaffiliate with Carolina leaving them out in the cold lol

I remember the Chicago Wolves always had a more veteran team and often brought in higher priced AHL UFA types to boost their chances of winning.. I wonder if Carolina's development philosophy (they've always really pushed for a development focused approach with their AHL team and fielded younger rosters) caused the disconnect

***edit 2 - yup

The Athletic posted:

Young said the decision was made because the Wolves believe the Hurricanes’ philosophy towards their AHL affiliate had changed this season.
“Within our affiliation, it says we will develop and also we want to win a Calder Cup,” said Young, who is in his 14th season as Wolves general manager. “I think the philosophy has changed, not our philosophy, but the philosophy has changed from up top. We had a really successful year and won the Calder Cup last year and developed players, gave them a few players too that are in their lineup now at minimum salary. I believe Carolina’s philosophy has changed. It was all about development. And our philosophy, it’s in our affiliation, that says develop and win. We think by winning, we develop. That’s where we stand.
“Also, some organizations are development-only, but we think if we have development and win playoff games, guys learn how to win, which you’re trying to do all the time. That’s changed. It’s time to go independent and follow our own philosophy.”
The Hurricanes did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 16, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

So, Arizona is pretty good?

I think having a roster full of guys who have been in the league a while makes a big difference over running a bunch of untested rookies and elevated AHLers in your depth lines

They still got a couple of suspect talents on the roster (Liam O'Brien and Josh Brown stand out to me) but otherwise it looks much better than before.

**I actually think that's pretty critical to a player's development and Logan Cooley / Dylan Guenther / whoever will have a much better chance going forward.. I really do think that Roope Hintz, Miro Heisanen, Jake Oettinger and Jason Robertson benefited from playing on a team that scuffled to a borderline wildcard spot (or maybe a 10th place finish) as they were developing as players instead of a team with 6 other guys trying to break into the league and figure things out at the same time..

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 17, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Well I know what I'm excited for.... Vancouver and Philly tonight.

I'm most excited for Dallas clowning Vegas in their own building, followed closely by Juuse Saros's 50+ save shutout of the Oilers

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

According to cap friendly they called up Radim Zohorna today so maybe it's him?

Mind_Taker posted:

Devon Levi is already injured huh. Who could have seen that coming.

Anyways Buffalo has been really overrated this offseason by the pundits. I know things can change but I thought it was a bit wild that so many people had them in the postseason and a lot of talking heads even had them above Boston somehow IIRC.

Still early and I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as they've looked but I think the analytics community was generally pretty down on them being a truly competitive team.. 85-90 points was the most optimistic I saw anyone rank them, and some were lower than that.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 20, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

aww man I was going to make a post about how the Sharks have a 32% xGF ratio at 5v5 through their first few games and that this might just be the team to take the crown from the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres (39.2% xGF) as the worst NHL club of the analytics era but last year's Ducks already took the crown with a 38.8% and I didn't even notice it :(

That being said the poor Sharks sure had a murders row of opponents this first week.. Vegas, Colorado, Carolina and Boston could very well be your semi-finalist teams in the playoffs lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Well 2-3 isn't great but there's still time this month to turn things around. *checks schedule*

Pens might be 2-5 after this week lol

Stars have been playing like poo poo this entire loving year and goalieing their way to wins.. also every game goes to OT so even if Jake Oettinger steals another one the Penguins will be 2-4-1.

**I guess this entire year isn't a very good descriptor of 4 games.. but you get what I mean, they've been really bad against the likes of Philadelphia and Anaheim.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Someone should do Palestinian flag tape to really set off the old hockey guy demographic

I don't think there's anyone playing hockey with big enough balls to do that..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rejoice the Penguins are extremely loving bad. Powerplay is still 0 for since the Caps game....0 goals from the bottom 6 or really anyone not in the top 6, goaltending outplayed, finishing bad, and system wise the team looks like a disaster.

Boy wonder better get his rear end in gear because lmao.

what do you imagine he can do? you can't rebuild the team in a year..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

grack posted:

It looks like Ludvig got Faksa's helmet in the face on that hit. Weird

yeah there was a different angle that was from the other side that made the helmet to jaw contact look alot more impactful.. I think Ludvig was just very unfortunate to take a blow from the top of Faksa's helmet in the jaw area and that knocked him out cold..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Who are some solid players on bad teams and expiring contracts who will probably be available at the trade deadline? Holtz is coming along and all but I want NJ to add a kickass player to their third line so they can really go.

Could be a Jake Guentzel angle if the season continues going downhill for Pittsburgh.. he also fits in with the little twink mold that New Jersey seems to prefer for their forwards

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Apparently the key to the Oilers success was Kailer Yamamoto

sounds like Jesse Puljujarvi will be hitting the market soon-ish if they want to recapture that magic

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

To be fair, Clifton got ejected early on and Comrie died for no reason and there was that bullshit around the delay of game penalty and the Devils still only barely won.

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1718049927702425606?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m not sure Clifton meant to do that, regardless it was a very bad hit and he is getting a hearing tomorrow.

my Connor Clifton connection is one of my co-workers asked me to give them suggestions for how to fill out the local fire departments hockey pool because they don't watch hockey but they play every year anyway and they always finish in last place and they were tired of it... one of those simple ones where you just pick 1 name out of 5 in a bucket and there's 30 buckets or whatever. When I looked at the scoring for the pool it turned out that penalty minutes, hits and blocked shots were each worth half of what a goal or assist was and those were the only stats tracked in the pool.

well anyways my co-worker now knows Connor Clifton specifically by name because I told them that while the strategy we used to pick the players was solid, the risk was that some of the players selected are so bad at playing hockey that they may get benched or cut from the team, and the Sabres fans on my internet forum say that Connor Clifton is potentially one of those players.

I doubt it though since they gave him a 3 year deal at 3 mill a season lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

When I played hockey neck guards were mandatory for everyone.. I started out as a goalie and goaltenders actually have heavier duty versions of them that I continued to wear even after I started playing defense because I was terrified of taking a skate to the throat.. the player ones are just these little neck bands that look like there's hardly anything to them, the goalie ones actually look like protective equipment and cover much more of your neck and upper chest area.

It was like that all the way up to the league for 15-17 year old kids, I'm not sure when you can choose to stop wearing one.

Too bad for Adam Johnson and his family and everyone who had to witness that. Horrible.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 29, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do the goalie ones actually do anything? They just look like a piece of cheap, swingy plastic that a puck would go right through

oh no you're talking about that plastic shield thing that people attach to their helmets if they are rocking the Dominik Hasek look... i did have one of those lol. Yeah like the helmets themselves those things work cause they are curved and the puck will deflect off of them, although if that happens it usually ends up pushing the plastic shield thing back up into your face. I didn't continue to wear that when I graduated to playing on the blueline...

the neck guard is something else that you wear underneath your uniform, it basically covers all the area around your neck that isn't covered by the chest protector or the helmet

here we go, a handy 4 minute long youtube video showing both of them off https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QX_6yudowQw

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 30, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I don't think it was murder. I don't think the other player had intention to kill. But I think he absolutely wanted to injure to some degree and was reckless about it.

I haven't watched the video so I can't comment on the specifics of what happened but I would wager my entire bank account against the proposition that the player intended to injure Johnson with his skate blade.

For one thing the best people to judge intent would be the other high level players of the game and there has been nobody inside the actual hockey world (people who live and breath hockey and take part / watch it as their job every day) who has viewed the clip and suggested that it was anything other than an accidental and unintended outcome of the play. From what I've seen all of the people saying that are people who have no obvious familiarity with the sport and they don't know how to read what is happening from the perspective of someone who does.

I remember reading about how match fixing in soccer often involves as little as 3 or 4 players on the team of 11 being in on the scam and how it's impossible for the average person observing the game who isn't a high level soccer player to identify what is going on... because it involves someone intentionally being out of position by as little as a few feet or reacting a second late to something and people who don't live in that world just aren't equipped to see that.. but other soccer players can see it, they know exactly what's going on and it stands out to them like a sore thumb.

Same thing here.. if the guy intended to kick Johnson with his skate blade, that would be plainly obvious to his team-mates and the community.

Now if you're saying that he was intentionally trying to injure another player with a reckless hit and because of the collision that had the unintended consequence of slashing Johnson's throat then that may well be what actually happened, but that is also be accepted by most hockey players as an unfortunate reality of playing the game - people are going play aggressively and be reckless / out of control with their bodies sometimes in hockey.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Yeah when Calgary made that Tkachuk trade with Florida for players on expiring contracts that were eligible to become UFAs (probably the worst trade I've seen in the last 10 years*) it seemed obvious looking at their roster with the number of players they had going into or already in their 30's that the Flames were basically signing up for another year or two at best of being a competitive roster and then a major rebuild.. when they extended those guys heading into their 30's to massive contracts and signed Nazem Kadri it should have been clear to anyone that this could end up being a disastrous situation

That being said the Flames were incredibly unlucky last year / victims of awful goaltending performances and this year so far has kind of looked like the same deal, but the season is young and things could very well turn around for them.. But if the decline has arrived a couple years ahead of schedule things are going to get pretty grim in Calgary the next 3 or 4 years :(

*I guess I'll clarify that Calgary surely had their hand forced by some extent by Tkachuk, I'm just making that statement as a reflection of the future value of the asset that was given up vs. the assets that were received.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's intuitively obvious to anyone who cares and has a functional brain which teams are on a player's limited no-trade list. Like if a guy has a 12-team no trade, it's going to include the current sad-sack franchises that have lots of cap space (Arizona, Anaheim, San Jose, Ottawa, Columbus), the cities no one wants to live in, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary), both (Buffalo). That's 9 that are on pretty much everyone's no-trade list right now. The other 3 can be player specific depending on whatever the hell he wants to prioritize. But mostly what every player prioritizes is making it as difficult as possible to trade him. Being traded sucks.

But if you're a Winnipeg fan and don't realize your team's on every no-trade list then you're too delusional for help.

I think that actually there's alot of strategy that goes into the no trade list.. if you are a good player with term remaining on your contract you can leave off the worst teams San Jose or Chicago because you can safely assume that they would have no reason to ever trade for you this season. In the olden days you could also leave off your division rivals even if you didn't want to go there because teams wouldn't trade good players inside their own division but I don't know if that's as much of a thing anymore.. anyway with some good strategic use of the 10 team no trade list players can usually narrow down the field of potential trade destinations to only a couple actually viable options.

But yeah most players having Edmonton / Calgary / Winnipeg on their list goes pretty much without saying, no matter what the quality of those rosters actually is.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1719734873148043282?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

If there’s a garbage product harmful to society to make sponsorship money off of, this motherfucker is all over it

To be fair this Prime Sports drink is probably on the balance of things less harmful to society in general and the consumers in particular than sports gambling is.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ok so maybe it is more harmful to the consumer than gambling is, but on a societal level I maintain that gambling is still the bigger evil.. probably

**ok this paragraph from the Wikipedia article is particularly funny to me for a reason I can't quite place my finger on

quote:

In July 2022, Premier League club Arsenal announced a joint marketing agreement with the company, with Prime becoming the official sports drink supplier for the club.[24] In 2023, KSI had plans to make an Arsenal-flavored bottle if they were to win the Premier League.[25] However, after a loss to Nottingham Forest, which led to rivals Manchester City winning the Premier League, the flavor was shelved and plans were cancelled.[26]

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 1, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

You gotta generate a ton of expected goals to survive your goalies allowing 5 per game...

**Also I listened to the Oilers post-game show after the last loss vs Dallas and the hosts were talking about how Nashville was a guaranteed win because the Oilers under McDavid and Draisaitl own the Predators and blow them out every time they play. Oops.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 5, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I do feel pretty bad for Jay Woodcroft if he gets fired over this, out of 12 games the Oilers have probably deserved to win no less than 8 of them. It's just cursed at this moment though.. He's a good coach.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think Coffey would be the possible interim GM with Holland gone and Gulutzan would be the interim coach.. Coffey has been hanging around the front office the last few years hasn't he?

Still.. what an ignominious end to a hall of fame career for Ken Holland. The end in Detroit already wasn't that great but he never should have come to Edmonton :(

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I thought Knoblauch was a baseball player?

Chuck Knoblauch was a very talented just below Hall of Fame level 2nd baseman who played with the Twins and Yankees

Kris Knoblauch was drafted in the 7th round by the New York Islanders but never really advanced to playing professional hockey (he had one season in the CHL - the league below the ECHL) and is now the coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

It is amazing how all the most qualified people for these jobs in Edmonton happen to be people from Connor McDavid's past..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Again, while theres a connection, imo Knoblauch has earned another shot at an NHL coaching job. He’s done pretty drat well with Hartford and filled in for Quinn a few years ago. It sucks that it’s for the Oilers clown show and if he was a Holland pick he’s probably a dead man walking but who knows.

he has a record of 119-122 in the AHL (yes 30 of those losses are in the OT / shootout, but still he's won less than half his games)

It's not the typical record of performance that demands a chance at the NHL, but it may be that the Hartford Wolf Pack are typically a tire fire and a .500 record is unusually good for them for all I know..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/itsWozzz/status/1723826455535325366

uh huh... they seem kind of confused and didn't take the time to get their stories straight lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Draisaitl is kind of a piece of poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/worldhockeyrpt/status/1724262695531061435

it's just a weird clip.. don't think I've ever seen a hockey player do that before..

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Duchene is on some new steroid or something cause he looks like a far better skater / passer / scoring threat / physical presence then I ever remember him being from his time in Nashville lol.

One thing I've noticed is that away from the puck he is absolutely relentless in getting body positioning on the defender and creating chance for his team-mates to find him for the scoring chance. He's pulled off some absolutely sick puck possession sequences this year where he goes through 3 defenders and then offloads the puck to a wide open player for a scoring chance. The last few weeks he looks like the most dangerous forward on the Stars by a pretty large margin which is quite the accomplishment.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

nope, couldn't make it past the first 30 seconds. Thank you for your contribution to the thread

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

There were already some rumbles around Minnesota I think.. if they end up losing both their games in Sweden Evason might be gone. That team has probably been a bigger disappointment than Edmonton this season because unlike Edmonton who was just getting really unlucky over and over again, the Wild have looked rancid in many of their games and have struggled to get out of the bottom 5 in the league for possession metrics.. which for most of Dean Evason's tenure they've been closer to top 5 in those metrics.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

I love how horrible all the coaches are in the NHL. They all hate their good players and love third line grinders. Any deviation from the norm must be stopped. Congrats to Columbus on blowing up their relationship with their new stars, and to Minnesota for relying on this dumb rear end in a top hat for years with nothing to show for it. And the Leafs for, welp lol

yeah... it is certainly something lol

You'll see certain fans and media people bring up about how young player X that was a regular healthy scratch and who the previous coach didn't trust to take a regular shift is now getting the same treatment by the new coach as proof that the player just isn't good enough to play in the NHL.. same thing about players like Jesse Puljujarvi who got dumped from the Oilers and then struggled to get into the lineup with the Canes, obviously he's just not good enough to be in the NHL on a contending team.

The vast majority of these coaches all come from basically the same background and trained under the same people, of course they all have closely aligned views on ice time distribution and what skills are important vs. not as important in a player. Ryan Reaves must be a useful player, good teams keep trading for or signing him, so if you say that he's trash you just don't understand hockey obviously.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

wait why the hell are there 0 games tomorrow, 14 games on Wednesday and then 0 games on Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Tim Peel is working hard to reduce the profession of referees to a position of even lower esteem than it currently holds. What a miserable piece of poo poo lol