Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Man

I’ve been a coyotes fan since we got them

I played on the ice as a kid at intermission at multiple games when they were at America West

I am gutted

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

We talk a lot of poo poo, and a crack a lot of bad jokes about the Yotes but i legit feel for you, this sucks for the fans.

It hurts even more because I am a Tempe resident and ultimately voted against the arena. It was a bad deal and it would’ve almost certainly destroyed my neighborhood and community. It sucks rear end it had to go this way

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

We just weren’t able to get ownership that wasn’t massively incompetent or a straight up grifter. Not much you can do about it. I can’t stand that it seems like Mereulo is gonna come out ahead on this too

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had to look this up because I couldn't believe it would be that innocuous but yeah, the loving voters rejected a $2.3 billion dump redevelopment for the sake of future tax credits.

It was 700 million in tax credits specifically just for the arena and then another 1.5 billion in vague promises with no guarantees from Mereulo, an actual con artist who can’t even pay hotel bills, that he’d develop the surrounding area that includes the school my partner teaches at and neighborhoods full of disadvantaged children who would’ve been gentrified out to the suburbs. I was at multiple city events where Xavier Gutierrez sneered at any objections like this. I’m not a NIMBY, it was a terrible deal once you got into the details and Mereulo is not to be trusted. Also I don’t know where it came from that I haven’t gone to a game in a decade either, I’m like right down the road from Mullett and have gone to several since they moved to Tempe & had season tickets when they were at Gila River.

Anyone who voted for it was a loving moron.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If it didn’t involve Alex Mereulo and the city council had asked for anything more than a pinky swear he’d invest more than what it takes to get the arena I’d be a little more unsure of my vote but like his organization couldn’t even show up at the middle school that was closest to the proposed site except for one time they bought breakfast for some construction workers working on the school (?). If we are going to have an arena in our city the organization that wants it needs to do better for our kids. I asked Xavier if they’d be investing in youth hockey in the community, I was excited for an opportunity to coach, and he just kind of shrugged at me.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I know gently caress all about the current economic make-up of Tempe so maybe that was the right move for the community long-term but I look at what things like the PPG arena in pittsburgh managed to do (and is still doing) for what was a pretty stagnant part of the city, it gives me pause to think that's not the right move to take every damned time. But if a city is already flourishing maybe it's not as big a deal

We certainly aren’t hurting for an entertainment district full of low paying concession and service industry jobs for people who have to commute an hour from where it’s cheap to live, that’s for sure.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The evil business man didn't go to a middle school? That's a weirdly specific objection…

I don’t know why this is particularly difficult to understand. The school has hundreds of kids, the parents of whom are all voters, as well as staff most of whom are also local voters. It does actually help to appeal to us, there’s a reason politicians run campaigns. If you aren’t going to even bother to show up to anything outside of a handful of events where the mayor and city council are present, it does say a lot to us about how invested you’ll be in the community if we approve your arena.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

“no billionaires are good and this is why you should let them do whatever they want” is certainly a take

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, I actually understand and partially agree with the sentiment (hell, what they were proposing for northeast Phoenix, at the corner of Loop-101 and Scottsdale Road, is to completely wipe out the existing native desert and build a 200 acre entertainment district when a giant entertainment district is literally 3-4 miles due west of it). I actually think it's worse to develop barren desert than, say, re-develop a barren old landfill site that just happens to be within a few miles of probably the wealthiest enclave of Tempe residents who already hate the various change that has happened but weirdly haven't done poo poo to stop any of it previously.

This right here is such an insane mischaracterization of what happened and there’s actual data to prove it, and it’s actually why the vote failed. All Mereulo and XG thought they had to do was court the wealthy residents of Tempe and it would be a slam dunk and that’s why it failed. You can literally look at the data:

That band of green is the wealthiest part of Tempe and as you can see, by far supported it the most because they’re the least affected by it. Everyone else didn’t want it.

Note the margins. Tempe 1st spent 35k to get a 13% or more aggregate no vote on each prop vs Tempe Wins’ 700k. TW and Xavier Gutierrez spent 700k having town halls at random breweries, doing direct mailings and talking to nobody but the richest people in Tempe and they got what they paid for. This isn’t a small core of NIMBYs ekeing out a win to stop an arena, a massive amount of residents realized the raw deal for what it was and told them to pound sand.

E: we also had record turnout for this vote

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Oh also, the city spent $30,000 to spy on opponents of the arena:

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/10/14/attorney-general-investigating-whether-tempe-used-taxpayer-money-spy-citizens/

Corey Woods could’ve just joined the MAFW Facebook group for free

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Anyhow now that I don’t have a team anymore go Stars get Pavs a cup I guess

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

That is one of the hottest MAFW takes I’ve ever seen thank you for that lmao

E: I am sure people are sick of our zoning dispute so I am gonna stop the derail, this is well trod territory for those of us who live here I think

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 13, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I don’t recall claiming to not be well off but go off in whichever way makes you feel best

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am trying to decide who I am going to be supporting ultimately now that the Yotes are going to be gone. The Ducks, Kings and Knights are all equidistant by car and then by way of work I'm in Seattle a lot so Kraken are also on the table if anyone wants to make a pitch

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Vancouver Canucks because they arent the Leafs or Oilers and close to Seattle.

Actually good call I completely forgot about them and I’ve been looking for an excuse to spend more time in Vancouver. I also like Conor Garland

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Something in me just yearns to be told every year that my team is gonna be scary in 4-5 years so the case for the sabres is compelling

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

get kuemper another cup

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

utah utahns

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

venom sounds like a MLS team