Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lol Toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cuylle jumping up to the 3rd line is cool. Kakko and Laf are where they should be. I’m sure none of this will last but let’s see

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

seems cool. first line is gonna rule. second line who knows. hope Laf has some jump in his step and Chytil keeps his steady good progression. third line is very strange. fourth line seems cool, but Vesey was a very good 5v5 player for most of last season. i wouldn't be surprised if him and/or Pitlick get time on the second line if Laf doesn't work out. Pitlick seemed to have some good wheels and Panarin likes little forechecking guys so he can be lazy. I actually think Panarin-Trocheck-Wheeler could be good if Panarin likes playing catch with Wheeler as much as he did Strome. And Trocheck can try to just dig.

but I'm guessing we'll see all of that at some point this season. The defense looks great, especially if Trouba can rebound into not too much of a possession sink!

With Laf in the top six it’s the only option but defensive-play superstar Blake Wheeler on a shutdown line is def strange. Cuylle and Trocheck will do great in that role so I guess best case scenario Wheeler can let them do that and just focus on keeping the puck under control/set up dirty knock in goals. He lost his wheels but he still has a great pass. It could work. But I’m prepared for lots of juggling.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

King poo poo (literally)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mr. Kite posted:

I was happy that the league was going away from fighting.

Also, that was a pretty weak fight. There were maybe two small quick punches at 11 seconds. Everything else was pushing/grappling/falling.

Um did you see that AHL fight a few pages back?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Strong "how the maple Leafs rebuilt Alex Galchenyuk" vibes.

Gonna be some seriously respectful handshakes after another first round exit

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Reaves is incredibly tradable, there are always like 10 teams at the deadline who has gotten the “get tougher” order and will give up assets for him. It’s a pretty low risk contract except for the fact that you have to put him on the ice.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Can't get enough of the NHL in 2023 being all "I dunno about the gays". Classy af.

Oh they know exactly how they feel about them. And it’s not good!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Olen Zellweger has to be the most Star Wars rear end name in the history of the NHL

Artem ZUB

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That Corey Perry is still in this league (and likely gonna get into the hall of fame on the first ballot) while my sweet, gentle boy Phil Kessel is not
it's a damned travesty

Apparently he still wants to play but i like to think Kessel is one of the guys who is more than happy to go play golf/gamble and ride off into the sunset. I mean he is the reigning ironman, won his cups, made Steve Simmonds look like an rear end in a top hat (more than usual), what else is there to do?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Jfc

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Everyone: THE NHL SUCKS AT MARKETING THEIR STARS

NHL markets their generational rookie in a major market: gently caress THIS SUCKS AND IS ANNOYING

You realize both these things can be true

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Rangers goal song is the worst. It feels like it's trying way too hard to be a European Soccer or College football chant.

Hey come on…Hey now. Hey. Hey, Hey, Hey.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lol the fact that Rod benched him after his tantrum and the team played better and won the game. DeAngelo is the lil MAGA gift that keeps giving. Can’t wait to see what antics he gets up to on the Kunlun Red Star

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Poor Jacob Trouba, always minding his own business when so many other assholes fail to protect themselves and nitwits on the internet have the gall, the absolute gall, to suggest he might hurt people on purpose

He hurted me :cry:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

The NHL already walked back the pride tape ban. The right decision of course but drat talk about a self inflicted gunshot wound.

Did anyone think for a second how bad it was going to look when they were inevitably going to punish a player for using pride tape? Like these people get paid a lot of money to make the dumbest decisions possible.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

I'm gonna call myself snake bit as I get old as gently caress too

I sneezed while standing the wrong way and now my back hurts I’m just snakebite

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1717568812629828024

This is very lame across the board and my enthusiasm is dampened if I have to support the Boston Wicked instead of the Boston Pride

Lol the singular/irregular plural noun trend for sports teams needs to be stopped. They are almost always bad.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

One of the worst “kicking motion” calls I’ve seen in a long time

It was just bizarre, they made the right call immediately and somehow there was enough evidence to overturn even though from every angle it was a textbook legal deflection off a skate. Like zero movement. Obviously no effect on game but it was a sick goal and a real shame.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Those neck guards seem like real no-brainers so like 4 guys in the NHL will wear one and they will mandate them (with grandfather clause) by oh let’s say 2040

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a barstool Rangers dipshit "just asking questions" about whether the throat incident was on purpose and I didn't think I could be surprised by how low that org will go but here we are. Jfc what an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not gonna link it because I don't want him getting any engagement on it.

Just stop reading after you see “barstool”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers sweep their road trip despite the terrible reffing at the end of that game tonight.

Canada stinks!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fawning deference posted:

Pens fans they're the worst.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Oh so its fine for Devils fans to post obnoxious "On every second Tuesday under a cloudy sky with more than 80% humidity the Devils speed stat doubles" 10 times a day when their team find middling success but its not OK for Wonderllama to do the same when his team is clearly on the down side of the playoff bubble?

Preach

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Oh Christ is there an Excite-O-Meter we have to hear about now?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Wonderful! Hope Trouba caves Aho’s skull in next time they play :discourse:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

deety posted:

It's wild to me that Rangers fans can cheer on Trouba as their captain but also explode into rage over Sebastian Aho: Notorious Hockey Goon.

Where else can I go for such insight such as, isn’t it weird that fans like it when the goony guy does goon poo poo for their team but not the other way around?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

deety posted:

Aho's missed several games already this year for "upper body injury," and I'm guessing that he's okay with the Internet thinking he's a little bitch for not letting the Rags try to aggravate whatever he's got going on just to blow off a little steam.

Noesen got over there pretty quick and is always ready to go, but apparently only beating on our biggest player would do.

Well his lower body seems solid enough for a knee on knee but thanks for letting us know he can’t fight because he has a doctors note! Next time make sure he brings it straight to the school nurse.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

deety posted:

He's definitely more likely to fight if you keep calling him chicken.

He reads this thread?? But you said he wasn’t a goon!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Telling my therapist to check my midichlorians

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

But I'm just an idiot nerd that looks at spreadsheets and stats.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

B Squad Leader posted:

https://youtu.be/Pqz2RmwOcwg?si=jeX72yzcOVpfogS6

Mat Barzal was fined $5000 (the maximum allowable under the CBA) for high-sticking Tony DeAngelo

That’s weird, they misspelled “rewarded” as “fined”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

hits are fun and good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I was nonplussed when they signed him this summer but he fuckin rules. Everyone was going "Wheeler at that price is a great signing!" when we should have been saying that about Gusty.

I’m surprised to see he has bounced around the league so much. Maybe he falls off a cliff or just gets leapfrogged by younger talent but man he has been great. And for a guy advertised as classic puck moving d-man he has been really good at getting back to break up plays. Just solid instincts.

Edit: also dying thinking about the last few guys NYR has put on that 3rd pairing - Nemeth, Tinordi, Harpur (who I shouldn’t mention less I summon him like Beetlejuice)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 9, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jovial Cow posted:

Nice to see the Rangers banking more points. Laf looks like he’s really starting to get into a groove.

Rangers good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Retire Jagr league-wide

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That’ll fix it!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mr. Kite posted:

There are a few surprising teams on that list. Were the Rangers supposed to be good?

The Kings a week ago in Philadelphia: 5-0 win
The Kings yesterday at home against the Flyers: 4-2 loss

Besides a couple of disgruntled Devils fan, yes the Rangers were expected to still be contenders. There core is still intact and includes arguably at times, the best defenseman and goalie in the league. They aren’t a young team anymore but besides Wheeler and Trouba, everyone getting significant ice time is in or around their prime. Or like Kreider, has done a good job aging gracefully. This year Drury hasn’t put any absolute disgusting plugs in the lineup for no reason. And the classic “new coach” boost has been very clear. There are red flags out there but if they keep banking points without their 1D, 2C, and both goalies- then the sky’s the limit when healthy.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah Knoblauch has gotten nothing but praise in the NYR organization. Good for him, good luck with the shitshow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

It's been a long wait. But folks, Alexis Lafreniere has arrived.

This performance tonight feels pivotal. Pretty please :ohdear: