Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
So did LA with like 4 minutes remaining, which rules, for the record. Always go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jhet posted:

Dude is getting underpayed. I guess he really likes Denver. Way too good a contract for a Central Division team, should be illegal.

At the start of preseason he said he wanted to get a contract extension done before the all star break that would keep him in Colorado for the rest of his career. I had thought they'd give him a contract and do a trade over the summer to make him fit next year but lmao, that raise will be covered by the salary cap increase next season. I'm shocked he didn't get a NMC out of such a team-friendly deal though if he wanted to stay in Colorado the rest of his career.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's so annoying. I don't remember other guys getting this much coverage, even McDavid, but I could have just forgotten.

There was another headline I saw today that was like "Matthews and the Leafs fall to Bedard" or something and I looked at the boxscore and Bedard didn't have any points.

The only thing I can think of is how for a few years Caps games had a second channel that they called the Ovechcam, where you got the regular commentary but the cameraman just followed Ovechkin for the entire game. I think it might have been like a second regional sports network channel though not something the NHL did

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
That's how the Ovechcam worked, yeah.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Cale Makar fastest defenseman to 250 points, took him 241 games, it took Bobby Orr 247

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

shyduck posted:

Slightly related, for some reason the WFC really started cracking down hard on bag size a couple of years ago. A couple of seasons ago (Alain Vignaeult's final game of all things) my wife got turned away bringing a small purse she had brought to games prior without any issue. We couldn't recall any recent scaremongering event that would've triggered it

Since they returned to allowing fans after the covid bubble, SAP center for the Sharks has also limited bags to 5” x 9”x 2”, and they then make you go stash your bag in a set of lockers outside that you have to pay like $20 to rent, and if you're taking the train home from the game, you have to leave with about 3 minutes left on the clock or it's not possible to get to the locker, get your bag, then get to the train

edit: Apparently for this season they've taken out the outside bag storage lockers and installed xray bag scanners and you can have bags up to 20” x 14” x 11” if you put it in the bag scanner

fermun fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 21, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks have played decently well in 4/5 games. They're not good by any stretch but this is their strongest start in a decade.

Nice, sounds like they might be in playoff contention come trade deadline and be in a position to spend some picks then so that they can get some gritty rentals and learn a winning culture even though they won't be good enough to make a deep playoff run.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Jesus, former Penguin Adam Johnson got his throat slashed by a skate during an EIHL game. For the love of god be careful on social media, I did not need to see that ever.

Still no update on his condition.

From what I've seen, the EIHL doesn't require an ambulance and paramedics at the game, but an ambulance was sent from the hospital along with "critical care paramedics" which it made sound like are a different thing than regular paramedics after the injury, and that CPR was required.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Levitate posted:

https://twitter.com/rupper17/status/1720463492656877770?s=46&t=mmkKQldZiNEN6JLnainqSg

at the very drat least Aho should have been called for interference here. No clue how it can be that blatant and not only get away with injuring a guy but also just completely taking him out of the play intentionally when the puck is 30 feet away. But hey the refs also missed 3 blatant high sticks from Carolina including one on a faceoff that cut Trocheck's nose. What a poo poo show of a game from the refs that was.

I guess it's not called interference because Aho plants his feet and stops moving and Fox gets injured because Fox extended his leg in an effort to dodge?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

blue squares posted:

What the hell is an expected goal anyway

It's essentially just tracking shot location and the percentage of shots that go in from that location.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Even their AHL team, the Barracuda, are 1-4-3, so whatever prospects they have down there are also getting trounced.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I pay for ESPN+ which is normally fine since I live in San Francisco and my team is the Avs, but I actually have been getting an itch to watch the Sharks get blown out and laugh and every game is blacked out. This is historically bad, I wanna watch!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

.Spec posted:

Speaking of Jack Campbell how's he doing in Bakersfie...oh

https://twitter.com/racheldoerrie/status/1722833147635638281

Good for him getting sheets on the back of Ken Holland's failure to do his job.

Thanks, I forgot about this after having 3 posts without this video being posted.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hirez posted:

Remeber when the Melnyk Sisters paid like 7 figures to have water imported from Sweden to add to their link.

god the Melnyk Sisters ruled for their very short run.

I thought it was from Switzerland, and last I heard, the Avs started this and still do it. The particular water blend makes the ice a little more durable and skating a little bit faster so is good for fast teams to get a really minor advantage on home ice.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Avs have depth scoring again, that's nice. Oddly the 2nd line seems to be the one struggling this year.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

What an absolute unit. God drat.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Levitate posted:

This angle it doesn’t look quite as bad, Trouba obviously trying to pull his stick free rather than wind up and hit Frederick, but still
Surprised it’s not a suspension.

https://twitter.com/mjzibanedad/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Looks like he's frustrated that Frederic is holding his stick so he pulls it free hard then winds up and takes a swing at him.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

maybe....just maybe, gently caress the blackhawks

Cmon, Connor Bedard's mom is trying!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A best of 7 international series between US and Canada needs to happen while the Tkachuks are in their prime.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Didn't involve other players or their family, workplace matter, and law enforcement won't be involved... Corey Perry was caught stealing thousands of dollars of office supplies but Chicago decided not to press charges.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

Doing cocaine in the locker room does seem like a pretty plausible guess at this point, yeah.

I can't find where he says it wasn't criminal in nature?

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nh...ecision/521830/

quote:

Davidson was asked if the matter involved law enforcement, and emphasized that it was a "workplace matter" while declining to offer further details.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Gambling violations are a league punishment, not a team punishment. He would be suspended from the league if he were caught breaking CBA gambling rules.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A 5-4 game is one of the most exciting games in hockey. The only better scoreline is when the Avs put in 10.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

The Kraken staring into the abyss tonight, if they lose to Montreal it will be the longest losing streak since the first season.

Given that this is their third season, that's just saying "it will be a longer losing streak than they had last year"

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

So does that mean like the impact of the puck caused a piece of jaw bone to break off, cut through his gum, and he mistook it for a tooth and spit it out?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Habibi posted:

In NHL adjacent news

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1740736778825335102

Love the ref belatedly charging in to restrain him while the other guy is just watching it all happen with his arm in the air.

It's dumb, but typically linesmen are responsible for physically breaking up fights and refs aren't supposed to physically get in the mix until both linesmen are there and can't break it up

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

lol. If the team wasn't bad they'd be... still bad.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FBS posted:

the Jets are in first :toot:

The Jets and the Canucks are fun this year because they should definitely not be doing as well as they are doing but none of their players seem to know that they're bad and are just scoring a bunch. It's cool to see two teams that were predicted to be playoff bubble at best actually be good halfway through the season

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

unfortunately a lot of the contenders and some wannabes pulled successfully on the hockey man desire to not show up your teammates - just doesn't seem to work for Toronto (maybe the Rangers, and Detroit somehow???)

-Pittsburgh (don't make more than Sid)
-Colorado (lol Devon Toews and Cale Makar are both signed for 16.25M total through 2027)
-Boston (the pull of Bergeron still holds)
-New Jersey (still reaping the rewards on the huge Jack Hughes bet which kept down a lot of their other salaries)
-Ottawa (fortunately signed a lot of young players to theoretically good, reasonable contracts, unfortunately those players are Bad)
-Buffalo (see Ottawa)
-Vegas (will publicly kill you if you ask for a new contract)

You also have things like Marner and Rantanen who signed the same offseason and were each other's closest comparable. Marner signs 6 years, $10.9M per, then 2 weeks later Rantanen signs 6 years, $9.25M per. Took a slightly team-friendlier deal to give the team that little bit extra cap space to work with, and they have both scored at a 1.22 PPG pace since their current contracts went into effect, so Marner's isn't an overpay, that's a lot of points, it's just that you get the same production from Rantanen without as high a cap hit.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Wonder what the current record for largest contract to be waived is

Evander Kane's $7M AAV with the Sharks that cleared unconditional waivers has to be one of the larger ones.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's just too bad that it's the whole organization that's a shitshow from top to bottom because if it were only one person in the organization then maybe losing a top prospect could have some consequences but since literally everyone in the organization from top to bottom is a fucker, no one can be singled out as THE fuicker.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

A few weeks ago, I was thinking that MacKinnon may be the best forward to have never won the Hart trophy, but he seems to be on a mission to actually win it this season, as long as McDavid doesn't hulk up in the second half of the season.

The year Taylor Hall won it by dragging a bad team into the playoffs singlehandedly, MacKinnon dragged a worse team into the playoffs singlehandedly. MacKinnon is gonna win it one year even if he's not the best player just out of every five years or so the hockey writers decide it's time to judge it on a different standard, but yeah, MacK has been unreal this year, he's skated like 120 miles this season so far and has been faster than McDavid by far, just on a tear.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

Just realized Kucherov is on pace for 137 points. Not as good as McDavid, obviously, but I am glad we are back in the era of gaudy point totals.

And Matthews is just a lagging slightly behind hitting 70.

Feels good. Benn winning the Art Ross with 87 points is hell.

Kucherov missed one game this season, so while he's on a pace for 137 for 82 games, he will only be able to play 81 so he's on pace for 134 points for the season in terms of how the Art Ross would be measured.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There are 39 PPG players with at least 20 games played this season, and 12 are at 1.25 PPG or better.

Goals are fun.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
God, I can't wait for another goalie pull for a powerplay when there's 10+ minutes remaining and the team is down by 2. Roy's philosophy of either winning or losing by 5 is fun, and I'm glad it won't be for the Avs this time. Poor Varlamov has to have Roy as a coach again though.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

kalensc posted:

SAS NHL posters promote a wrestling stream, and the Real NHL promptly has a wrestling-style unbelievable return that gets a huge pop (from the other 29 fan bases).

Technically there are 31 other fan bases if you count the Coyotes and the Blue Jackets, but 29 is accurate enough.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fisting by many posted:

He was right about that, by the way. Coaches these days are still way too conservative (good example from today -- Toronto not looking to pull the goalie down two with a 4 on 4 and 4 minutes left)

Absolutely. There have even been peer-reviewed studies based on how often a 6-on-5 empty net or 6-on-4 powerplay empty net score that say Roy wasn't even aggressive enough with his 10+ minute remaining powerplay when down by 2, and it's fun as hell, but I can see how a coach doesn't want to do that because losing by a ton is more likely to get them fired. You'd have to have a GM's full confidence for years to do the best strategy with the goalie pull.

Hell, after Roy's first season coaching the Avs, the average goalie pull went from 90 seconds remaining to 2 minutes remaining after just that single season he did the longer time remaining pull

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Kurtis MacDermid is both a defenseman and a forward but has only played as forward this season.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Simplex posted:

Assuming Nichushkin comes back, you are looking at:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichushkin - (*) - Lehkonen
Wood - Colton - LOC
Cogliano-Johansen-Olofsson/Kiviranta/Meyers

I don't see where Parise slots in, except on that 4th line. Big IF Landeskog comes back, he hasn't played in 2 years and is realistically a 4th liner this year.

If Nichushkin is done for the year that 2nd line situation is even more dire.

Landeskog coming back is a massive if, since Lonzo Ball hasn't managed to be able to come back to the NBA after having the same surgery from the same surgeon a year earlier, but Landeskog started skating again yesterday, so even if he can't get back into game shape, it seems like he's got good odds for being able to live his life off-ice normally, so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Escape Goat posted:

There’s been mentions of 7 or 8 players involved, but only 5 charged.

Seems like there’s a few more that maybe abetted that are going to get away with it? Or maybe that will come out in trial.

There are still 3 John Does in this case, yeah, so total of 8 people named.