Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Obligatory heralded dumb fight out of the way for the Don Cherry's of the world out of the way now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Well Habs give up yet another 2 goal lead and late game 6 on 5 goal, but it allows Caufield to notch another game winner and keep his nearly goal a game pace so I guess all's well that ends well.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Was at the game, love that kid.

Caps really do look to have fallen off, wow. Wilson especially, I had to check at one point during the 2nd to see if he was even playing. I do respect their powerplay strategy of "try to give Ovi the puck", even if it doesn't work.

Yeah it's pretty noticeable. Curious to see whether Pittsburgh or Washington has fallen off the hardest after this season is done and dusted. Ovechkin also kind of needs to get it going again soon if he wants that all time goal record from Gretzky as well. I don't know how many years he has left in him and before the big drop off finally happens if it isn't going to happen already this season, but I would imagine he needs at least another couple 30 goal seasons here and now. If he can't get 30 this season I don't know if he can do it anymore and it might be tricky if this is as good as the Caps get this season. I didn't get that sense of inevitably that Ovechkin was going to score on the power plays they got this game at all really. In fact the only reason this game even felt like it went to overtime is the Habs just suck beyond measure at 6 on 5. I don't even think the Caps net had been empty even 3 seconds before they potted the tying goal.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man Knies really is an undeniably good find by the Leafs. Like potentially future 2nd line winger good depending on how he develops in an actual season. He definitely has the hockey smarts, but too small a sampling size of games played in the NHL to really gauge what role he should end up with just yet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kaiden Guhle is back in the lineup tonight apparently which means that's likely it for Justin Barron who was surprisingly solid during his short call up session.

Kale
May 14, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm watching Tampa/Columbus in Florida, so I have the Bally Sports Florida feed, and I like the Lightning's ad campaign. "It's time."

You guys won the Stanley Cup like 2 years ago.

Almost a threepeat too. I don't think they're the dynasty team anymore at this point. If anything it's still looking to be Vegas and yet again Boston this season somehow.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/arizonacoyotes/status/1720302056114995451?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Mintyukov and Cooley having 3 less points in 40 less games than Slafkovsky is a tough look.

Obviously early, he’s 6’3 230 and power forwards take a while to develop but it feels like his ceiling is more Josh Anderson than a Rick Nash or Landeskog type

Yeah he definitely turned out to be the best player from that draft class after all. At this point unless he shows me something soon I'd almost rather have had Wright even at this point. Slafkovsky has a likeable personality, but he's just not contributing anything significant to the team other than a big body and a little puck carrying, which isn't a very unique skill set.

Kale
May 14, 2010

neoaxd posted:

I'm not gonna pass any judgment yet on a big 19 year old kid who's only played 49 games. He just needs to get some confidence and learn better decision making. All of that feels coachable.

Yep. At this point I think Monahan could make anybody productive. Except maybe Mike Hoffman.

I hope so. I'm also thinking of all the ruined Habs draft picks over the last decade or so but I don't think St. Louis and Gorton are those kinds of people like Martin, Therrien and Bergevin. I'd like to see at least some production soon though.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 4, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

That Fox situation sucks pretty hard for Rangers fans. I imagine his absence would be immediately noticeable within a matter of the next few games.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Somethings never change in Montreal being able to beat Boston no matter what direction the two teams are headed in otherwise. :3:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Habs offense kind of turned back into a pumpkin at the end of October. Not that it was killing it beforehand but they don't seem to get more than a couple goals tops in regulation.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Of loving course Newhook is out long term now too cause he actually competes every shift and wears a Habs jersey

Kale
May 14, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

Canada didn't look like a very good team this WJC and they just got eliminated by the czechs scoring with 11 seconds left in a QF

Verdict: always funny when canada doesn't get a medal and TSN has to scramble

Yeah I could kind of tell based on the round robin that this was not gonna be Canada's year this year and they were probably going out either here or in the semis. It's how they lost those games and the teams they lost too and how close it was in some cases even in their wins. Getting scored on 3 times by Germany and being in the tough in a 3-3 tie with them for much of the 3rd period for example was a huge red flag going into the knockout rounds.

It's not like last year where they lost a flukey round robin game to one of the best teams Czechia has ever brought to the tournament where you could see like okay, poo poo happens, but this is a gold medal competitive team still with a hungry guy in Bedard as a huge X factor that will probably see them through. Just didn't have that aura about them at all in the round robin.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 2, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Not just Bedard. Fantilli, Wright and Savoie along with korchinski on the blueline is like an entire PP1 unit. US is just missing Cooley and Sweden Carlsson. Slovakia with Slakovsky/Nemec probably still doesn't have the depth to compete but would have been fun.

Yeah true, they brought a pretty crazy team last year that was gonna be tough to beat even with Czechia bringing that once in a generation amazing team. They just didn't have that sort of team this year at all really. Even if they had squeaked past this round I'm almost certain they were toast in the semis and doing no better than Bronze this year.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Insane game in Montreal tonight. Montembeault brought it home

Kale
May 14, 2010

Still can't feel good about the Habs pulling out that win last night. That shot of Pelech on the ice after the head hit looking all brain scrambled and like he's had enough. :barf: :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Saw the recap of last nights Leafs game finally since I spent most of it watching Evo Japan footage instead and holy hell did Boston open up their defense like a can of tuna. Not a great matchup, but then it would be the exact same with the Panthers anyway so they're just not a good playoff team at all and got really lucky they could take advantage of an oddly bad Vasilevskiy to just barely squeak by in 7 games. Had he been on his usual game I don't even think they'd have won a series finally even last year.