Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

neoaxd posted:

Really liked what I've seen from the Habs tonight. Slafkovsky had moments of brilliance the likes of which we've never seen last season, Dach seems ready for a breakout season, and Cole Caufield's still Cole Caufield.
In a rebuilding year I'd take losses like that over lovely meaningless wins that do nothing but worsen our draft position. They're bad but they're fun and improving.

Slaf/Dach/Newhook looks like a solid combo. Dach especially was looking like Joe Thornton out there.

And yeah games with lots of goals they lose by one is kinda the ideal scenario this year. 40 goals for Cole plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Cole Caufield gonna score 40 this year. And still only end up with 50-60 points.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

fancy stats posted:

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1713939819368157489

I was getting worried the habs might be too good for a slam dunk top 5 pick.

Apparently he tore his ACL and MCL and might be down for the season. I don’t think we can rule out that the team is cursed at this point.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/1714448156165882258?s=19

it is impossible for the Habs to be healthy ever again

I’m convinced Bergevin wished for the cup final on the monkey’s paw.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
We are 3 games into the season and between Price/Dach/Dvorak and now Guhle the Habs are gonna have about 200 games missed due to injury.

So how about that Celebrini kid? Should I start hyping myself now?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

On the other hand: don't have to slog through this Habs season but still get paid

Yeah but now he has to do something even worse, which is watch them play another 80 games.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

fermun posted:

Nice, sounds like they might be in playoff contention come trade deadline and be in a position to spend some picks then so that they can get some gritty rentals and learn a winning culture even though they won't be good enough to make a deep playoff run.

I hear Tanner Pearson will be available!

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

neoaxd posted:

Since the Canadiens are 5 games in, a sample size that is absolutely large enough to reliably base stuff upon, we can confidently say that with this 100% sustainable pace they will finish with a record of 50-16-16. A cool little 116 points.

Playoffs are back, baby. Rebuild over. Ca sent la coupe. #25 imminent. :cheers:

No I will not be taking questions.

Playoffs on the back of leading scorers… *checks notes* … Tanner Pearson and Sean Monahan.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

bub spank posted:

Apparently Pierre Dorion is about to get fired, too. Which would be great! Except he’s rumoured to be replaced by Chiarelli. Which is bad!

Replace him with another Pierre. McGuire or Gauthier. Both incredible options!

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Call Your Grandma posted:

Nah, the hockey player you're thinking of is Toronto Maple Leaf Legend Thomas Plikanec

This is violence

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/arizonacoyotes/status/1720302056114995451?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Mintyukov and Cooley having 3 less points in 40 less games than Slafkovsky is a tough look.

Obviously early, he’s 6’3 230 and power forwards take a while to develop but it feels like his ceiling is more Josh Anderson than a Rick Nash or Landeskog type

He looked really good in the hot minute with Dach, but he just refuses to use his size. Which Dach did so he didn’t have to.

Maybe just paste him to Monahan, who may have an angels in the outfield situation going on.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Zesty posted:

lol Sharks, what the gently caress

That roster is diiiiiire. Not even much they can part out for futures beyond Hertl.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Wonderllama posted:

what goalies are available that toronto hasn't already tried and ruined?

They can take Jake Allen before he wins us out of another high draft pick (or he breaks again).

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
I was kinda hoping they would win in a high scoring game so we could see the panic trade for a goalie right after. Apparently Kenny has been poking around on Binnington lmao.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

i mean. it would be funny in coffey was named coach but wasn't St. Louis coaching experience prior to getting the canadiens gig not much better?

To be fair Montreal was pretty clearly aiming for last place at that point so it didn’t really matter who the coach was. Looks like Edmonton doesn’t need any help doing that.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

13 points in 14 games with the Stars, why was Nashville so desperate to get rid of Matt Duchene?

Every team he goes to seems to hate him despite his production being decent

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/helenenothelen/status/1724829823753961620?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Not even 2 months into an 8 year deal, I’m sure this will be the team that can finally make Dubois give a gently caress.

Who could have predicted this?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Flyers on a five game win streak and back in second place in the Metro (albeit with a couple extra games played), just as we all expected

Time to load up on vets for the playoff run. I mean Frost is getting benched anyway, why not trade him for Josh Anderson’s big body presence.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Montreal wins after being bailed out by their goalie. Same as it ever was.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Why bother if you are the Wings? This is kind of a bubble season for them and they are cruising right now. Why throw a big ole distraction into the works?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
I know he asked for a trade and all but that seems light?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Habs are back to being a cellar dweller. Only bright spot is Slaf actually looking decent.

Also dam LA looks real good this year

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

Cannot imagine the level of buyers remorse Michael Andlauer is feeling lol

It’s hilarious that once the cheque cleared you get:

- Shane Pinto Busted for maybe gambling?
- Losing a first round pick for the Dadonov stuff
- Team collapses including new goalie with term ends up being the worst in the league
- New coach that was probably brought on due to nostalgia makes team even worse
- Two players (is Formenton still with the org) potentially involved in the hockey Canada report which will never come out.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Haha that rules

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
If Lindholm is traded this early some teams are going to way overpay for Monahan and Henrique.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1753450558231339052

Good job Brad, asset management, what's that?

Haha Yessss. Suzuki is gonna have to play 40 minutes/game the rest of the year though.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Jesus Nate. And people called Crosby a hockey robot. He seems like a normal dude compared to MacKinnon.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Mike_V posted:

good lord the habs got detonated at home by the blues. not good!

This may surprise you but they are a very bad team. Playing their not good goalie.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

fancy stats posted:

haven't watched a single game in months, but slaf good???

They finally let him on the power play with Nick and Cole and it’s been excellent. That line has been really good, too bad about the rest of the team.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

Talkings heads said the Markstrom to NJD trade "fell apart" because NJD wanted the Flames to retain $2-3 million a year in retention and the Flames have an idea of what that value is in salary retention and it differs from what NJD's value of it is.... it's a first round pick Fitz, pony up.

Anyway everything else sounds like it was agreed upon so I hope something still gets done.

If that’s the only difference if I was Calgary I’d probably pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Markstrom could turn into a pumpkin at any time, especially if they are cutting Hanifin and Tanev loose as well.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

He's 19 years old in his first year of AHL and put up 32 in 43. He's barely gotten a shake in the NHL. From Wright's perspective if Seattle bury him this year and he doesn't burn an ELC year he's costing himself millions in potential career revenue.

If Montreal did end up taking him he’d probably have the opposite problem. No AHL time while being stuck on the 4th line between Gallagher and Pezzetta. They almost ruined Slaf by doing something similar.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

Trying to think of the biggest “gently caress you” Pierre left on the way out of Ottawa

code:
-5 years of Korpisalo

-2 years of Travis Hamonic, full NMC

-trading DeBrincat for a mid/late 1st and Kubalik

-losing the 1st rounder in the Dadonov trade by being a dumbass 3 years ago
Impressive summer, and still have no idea what President/GM Steve Staois is capable of because he hasn’t made a single move all season long lol

Renaud Lavoie put out something yesterday that says Brady is pissed and may want out. Dunno how reliable that is, but add that to pile maybe.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

https://x.com/darrendreger/status/1765725808235000001?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

lol why are teams interested in Edmundson he's Washington's worst defenseman and their D isn't good to begin with

He won a cup with the Blues and went to the finals with Montreal and GMs always fawn over “knowing what it takes to win”.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Lmao what’s the point now?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Would honestly be happy to trade him for nothing and end the 3 goalie bs

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Levitate posted:

could be a 2nd if Allen plays some amount of games, it sounds like

Works for me!

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Montreal retains 50%

Thats less good. Probably means they aren’t trading Savard.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Not a whole lot there anyway other than Suzuki

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Slafkovsky rules and I take back any doubts. I love the large dopey guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

fisting by many posted:

Almost exact in win and goal differentials, actually (NYR is +15 wins and +90 GD)

NYR is obviously heavily favoured but I still don't think they're near Colorado-Nashville squash match territory, which is the only series I can really recall where one team had absolutely no chance. (Arguably, the Canadiens-Lightning final is up there, but hard to say they had no chance after three upsets).

I'll be curious to see the series odds.

Rangers gonna get Halaked by Lindgren