Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

For any cord cutters out there, TNT games are available on HBOMAX this year. They're included in your MAX subscription until February, after which point it becomes a $9.99/month add-on. No idea if it'll still be included for 'free' if you get MAX through a subscription to HBO through traditional cable.

Lols, 9.99/month? For 8 games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

HKR posted:

Every year: "I should watch hockey"

NHLTV/(now espn+): only about 10 or so local team games per season, no playoffs, $10+ a month

"I want to watch local games and playoffs"

Okay your only choice is your "regional sports network" (RootNW). It's only available through one of two $100 a month TV packages (Fubo or DirectTV Streaming). No you can't pay the RSN directly just to stream them.

I'm so sick and tired of this song and dance.

The Regional Sports Fee is $11 a month too, so you're paying that for it. I have Fubo and it's at $82/month because of the taxes and fees. Haven't found a cheaper way to get RootNW anywhere.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

ehh we'll see.. I think the Blues still have a solid group of forwards (atleast their top 6) and Binnington can still win a game for them.

I mean I think they could easily win tonight.. not that they are going to finish 3rd in the central (I view them as the 6th best team and closer to Arizona than Nashville).

I don't know that I see Nashville doing much this year along with the Blues. They're both going to win enough games to be a pain to the rest of the Central, but they're not going to be consistently good enough to be anything but an outsider. Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and Winnipeg are likely going to be the top 4 in some order and it's going to be interesting to see if Chicago or Arizona will be the worst this season now that there's nothing to tank for.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

No matter how the Stars game goes, I just want Binnington thrown in a dumpster

After we get a goalie fight. Dude is the only goalie unhinged enough to actually start it that I can think of.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Makes sense, though I'm a little lower on Nashville this year. It's going to be more of a surprise to me if they can actually get that WC spot, but not as much as StL.

ThinkTank posted:

MAF has tried to get into a fight like five times. I hope someone fights him before his career is done.

I've seen more goalie fights in beer league than I have in the NHL in the last 5 years. It doesn't need to be a classic brawl, but I want enough that they have to write it on the scoresheet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Should have hated him last year. Gus turned into a good goalie.

Granted, Minnesota is historically known for knowing how to play some defense. They were giving up more than normal last night and Gus just shut it down.

What’s Cam Talbot up to these days?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

hell yeah, sick as hell. that’s gonna be a good contract. was expecting at least term or dollars to start with an 8 so anything lower than that is great

https://twitter.com/peter_baugh/status/1712864015628828722?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Dude is getting underpayed. I guess he really likes Denver. Way too good a contract for a Central Division team, should be illegal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
This is why standardized discipline needs to be a thing. Granted, I’m not sure why they took that down to 2”, so it’s me just yelling at clouds. The first thing that made contact there was his knee and it’s what caused the infringement. Should have just stuck with the major.

Personally I’d be down with a minimum 1 game suspension for any game misconduct, but I think right now that’s only for match penalties in the NHL.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

I think part of the problem is then some star does something and the NHL doesn't want to suspend them so instead of just acknowledging they'll be pulling a double standard they just let poo poo slide for everyone but police the low skill guys a bit more

Maybe they should just grow a pair and be consistent? I get that it’s a business, but I wouldn’t have batted an eyelash had Kaprizov got a game for the game misconduct he took on Doughty last year. Penalties are a major part of the game and just need to be given to everyone.

Let the goalies fight and then toss them to the showers and make the backups come in. Idgaf, let’s play some hockey. The kids up through Juniors get this, why’s it so difficult for adults?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Only two games on tonight, what the poo poo NHL
it's the first week give us some games to watch

Most of the teams didn’t get to play until last night unless you have a Connor or recent Cup. Classic scheduling.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wonderllama posted:

Looks like WiFi spun him around? Like, what kind of invitation does he need? What is his ideal fight timeline and how much notice does he need?

I think the point is that fights need to start with both combatants aware that they're about to happen. This is probably a good idea considering they're punching each other in the head. Honestly, this probably should have gotten an instigator as he's jumping into something he wasn't involved in and starting the fight without the other guy having the option to skate away.

But this is the NHL so that poo poo is never going to happen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

I loved the first intermission bit where Bieksa claimed that Nylander’s first goal wasn’t a move he would have made last year without the “toughness” around the team, then the broadcast immediately showed a clip from last year of Willy scoring the exact same goal against the Wild in OT.

The Toronto media frenzy around Reaves is already ridiculous and it’s game 2.

He was a pain in the rear end, but really not that useful in that game. Matthews line had a field day though and that’s very annoying. Just bad team defense from Minnesota. Toronto played well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

The Wild carried play at evens to be fair, though score effects played a part in that. The Leafs PP has been covering up a lot of nonsense from the defence and Samsonov made some big stops in the second half. If the PP keeps this up I might need to reevaluate my opinion on Guy Boucher.

Yeah, Samsonov didn’t look like he was seeing the puck very well the whole game, but the Wild couldn’t finish very well either. And for the third period it’s a wash once the scoreboard gap got big enough.

Leafs PP is absurd and Matthews should just keep the Rocket Richard trophy already.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/TimCPeel20/status/1714262597741002890

Number 1 this move rocks

Number 2: Roenick and Tim Peel together is super cursed goddamn

This move was really awesome, but it's not going to work that well on any goalie that's awake. Goes to show that if you know the person you're shooting against you can really get in their head.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

can we just like, obliterate hockey parents as an idea. that seems like it would fix a lot of problems.

And wipe out what’s left of the Canadian economy? Maybe it would make housing cheaper.

I deal with a lot of hockey parents and it really seems to be a smaller percentage of the problem parents than there used to be? One is still too many though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

On the radio today legit heard SHOT CLOCK

I think that would be hilarious if they also took out the must continually skate forwards part.

That penalty shot was awesome and I can't believe he didn't do anything but backup and give him an angle.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

The secret to stopping that penalty shot is not being an idiot and poke checking the guy

I've been picturing MAF dealing with this all day. He'd have probably continued that poke into the skates. Gone 3/3 in trips this month.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I love how the habs started the game by allowing 2 short handed goals on the same powerplay. This has been one of worse powerplays in the league for what, 10 years? Yeesh.

Me too. It was fun to watch. The Habs used to be a fun opponent, but the last few years since the finals appearance have just really been sad. They do have some good talent, but they're 2-3 years away from being a fun team again.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Has anyone told Seattle they're supposed to score goals

Yes, but they refuse to listen. Just like they've been refusing to listen about playing defense the whole of their existence. I wonder if it has something to do with the strategy they use. Who's in charge of that again?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

they tried having the fourth-best shooting percentage in history last year, maybe this year they’re trying for fourth-worst?

Regression to the mean.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

A good goal song should annoy the gently caress out of opposing fans.

Just like Chelsea Dagger. I hate it with every fiber of my being. It’s a great goal song. The player pick songs are okay, but most are lame.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

I love that there's either 2 or 15 games a day. Super cool!

And such exciting options too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

triple sulk posted:

Who the gently caress decided to start a game at 11pm ET

I guess it's perfect for people to get to see the Phillies lose to one desert team and then immediately go into seeing the Flyers lose to another

The same ones that decide to schedule games for 4pm PT on a weekday. Duh.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I actually really like the staggered start times I dunno if people complaining are actually serious

My complaining is only serious when they put puck drop for a dumb time for the people going to the rink for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

perhaps, if they give Jack Campbell twenty or thirty more starts, he might be able to turn it around

e: more seriously though, this shot chart is grody for the Oilers. just a complete failure to let the Wild get that many high danger shots

This just looks historically accurate for an Oilers v Wild game.

Campbell was about the only player in the D zone putting in a shift. He was pretty good for as many goals as they gave up. Saved a bunch of high danger chances where the D was just flailing around.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Are you questioning the stylistic choices of celebrity interior designer Lauren McDavid?

Yes. Also Connor’s choices.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Who placed a bet at +5000 that an NHL player would get suspended for betting on sports this year? DraftKings has a deal going on right now where if you bet your firstborn you get a free $100 bet on today's Anaheim Ducks game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1717568812629828024

This is very lame across the board and my enthusiasm is dampened if I have to support the Boston Wicked instead of the Boston Pride

Yeah, disappointed they couldn't keep the Minnesota Whitecaps. Minnesota Superior just sounds like someone is saying the name of a lake without understanding grammar.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

Lol.

But yeah, the names suck. I can understand wanting a clean break from the old leagues but Whitecaps was a cool name, and Pride, Furies and Riveters get bonus points for being cool women's team names.

The Toronto Six were ahead of their time.

The crappy part of not using the Whitecaps is that they're the only team to have won both the Clarkson and Isobel trophies. And were independently run/owned until the NWHL/PWF issues. Pride, Furies, and Riveters are also all great names.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

Toronto Torch? Boo.

An NY team with Lady Liberty or her torch for the logo would be :krad:.

Much better to have a NY team name that sounds like they're an acapella group.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For Carter Hart having gently caress all to do in the first two periods last night, he played really well in the 3rd. You don't notice how much it can knock a team off balance when you're missing just one or two guys, but having Spurgeon, Boldy, and Gaudreau out a the same time is not super fun. Merrill was terrible, and the 4th line got eaten alive. I did a double take when I saw a 16 on a Wild sweater in the 2nd having not even noticed that Khaira was out there before that time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Fish posted:

Refs didn't call a penalty on this hit, but they called eight others in the second period alone. Overcorrection maybe? Or all the cringe players on my fail team actually are a bunch of goony barbarians

That's a hit that happens a dozen times a night. It's not the hit that caused that injury, it was the way he fell. That hit happens at plenty of levels. Timing could have been better but I don't think that's changing much.

Maybe we should just take checking out of the game and have everyone wear pillows.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

yeah... I was not sorry to see Soucy go but Dumoulin is an absolute trainwreck. Extreme head scratcher of a signing. Not sure why Ryker Evans isn't playing instead.

Soucy over Dumoulin every day. He's not a flashy d-man, but Dumoulin isn't any sort of d-man anymore.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm interested to see if Sprong repeats close to his efforts last year. So far he has. Kinda neat if he finally found his game after bouncing around a bunch. Geekie, thus far, is nearly PPG. It seems fairly insane to me Seattle didn't retain Sprong...6th best scorer on the team with less than 12 minutes a night. Banking on Eeli to repeat seems certifiable.

We're talking about the guy that hired Dave Hakstol to be the franchise's first coach. So of course he's going to expect them to score on 20% of their shots and not need any of the mid scorers. Seattle have managed to take all the cap space they had and squander it like any good long standing mediocre team.

E: Matty B needs a contract next year too. Should go well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I don't know about other leagues, but the OHL has required neck guards for like 15 years. So basically anyone who's come out of that league and doesn't wear one has decided to ditch it.

Also, they definitely wear them as loose as possible because you'll see about 5-10 fall onto the ice during a game.

Hockey Canada requires laceration neck guards for youth age groups. USA Hockey requires mouth guards. There's nothing more surreal than a US team playing a Canadian team and wearing what's only required by their association.

The laceration neck guards do come attached to turtlenecks, but the small neck collar ones work similarly well. The goalie ones are much more important as you will catch a puck to the neck and it can protect you from getting a serious injury on a regular play. Oshie's Warroad company makes so good quality ones too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is there any hockey move that would require a player to lift his blade up that high of he wasn't trying to avoid tripping over someone down on the ice in front of him?

No. I have not watched it, and will not watch it. There is no legitimate hockey move that requires you to lift your skates above even knee level.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

And yet it happens all the time.

You have to remember that this is a lower level pro league, not NHLers. The guy whose skate cut Johnson was trying to check another player ahead of Johnson, but the opponent was moving slightly faster so he's leaning forward to hit the shoulder as they make contact. Because he's off balance his leg swings up to try to keep from falling over. If you skate with all your weight leaned forward on one leg and someone shoves you, your leg will come up too.

It does happen yes, but it's not a legitimate move. That's not how you're taught to check either, you shouldn't be leaning forward, you should be keeping your legs in control and on the ice and should be loading your weight above your core so you can keep your balance.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I thought Auston Matthews wanted me to drink milk?

I know, I wish he'd make up his mind. Gross liquid that comes from cows or gross liquid that will give me a heart attack. Just pick one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Teams want to host that's not a problem. The problem is that teams don't want to travel for it.

So now the front office teams are complaining about their RTO? They should get as much input as everyone else is getting with return to office plans.

Draft Day from Des Moines when?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry but Im going to need some citations on them being the most exciting team in the NHL.

Because here is the only citation I needed:

Rangers fans said "Devils suck."

And you can always trust Rangers fans.

Devils are exciting on the power play. They're okay at 5v5, but they haven't been exciting to me. Sample size of 1.5 games watched this year. They're much better than they were 5 years ago for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fawning deference posted:

Did you watch them last year? Serious question. They were incredibly exciting at 5 on 5 and as this season picks up I'm sure that will be the case again with their speed and star power

They were better 5v5 last year absolutely. Not sure I’d call them the most exciting team last year either. Boston was absolutely flying and there was Vegas and Edmonton last year that I’d put up above them last year too.