Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Seeing the Rangers play structured system hockey is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Laf was unfathomably good tonight?

The whole line was incredible. Gallant was a moron for keeping Chytil at 2C for less than 5 seconds all year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/everynyrgoal/status/1712511819980456119

:lol:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

the nhl should also add a consent rule to boarding. if you do not say Yes to being boarded, you can't be boarded, easy peasy

Seems real bad for the Blackhawks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Blake Wheeler is a big lumbering oaf and I think he's in Hartford/claimed on waivers by Xmas.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The early time with Reavo are always fun and good. Then reality sets in and it's no longer fun or good, so enjoy it Toronto.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sorry but that's infinitely better than Chelsea Dagger, the worst goal song in hockey by miles.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Chelsea Dagger is great because it's upbeat with a good hook, and isn't a local recluse intentionally trying to be annoying.

Yeah no and no. You're just getting old and reactionary :lol:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

No! It's that the whole Eminem aesthetic is depressing. He got a restaurant within the District Detroit, and it's all tacky white trash trailer park poo poo.

That just sounds like Detroit to me!?! What's the problem here?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Rangers goal song is a bunch of Irish Italian Neanderthals from the tri state area yelling "woah" and "hey" and no one gets mad about it, have some pride!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So, Arizona is pretty good?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxqoxogBOY

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

th3t00t posted:

Rangers goal song is the worst. It feels like it's trying way too hard to be a European Soccer or College football chant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

To be fair the next team that hires Gallant im gonna make fun of and say he sucks (because he does), so im not shocked about Caps fans hating on Lav.

We’re only 3 game in, but im very happy with him.

This all started with Quinn, who was a terrible coach and a stupid hire. Gallant was a breath of fresh air with his hands off approach but that doesn’t work very long when you dont really run practices or know how to make adjustments. Lavy came in at a perfect time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

As a neutral fan who lives in DC and subsequently watches a lot of Caps games, I will say it's kind of in between. I think Laviolette is a good coach, I don't think he was the right coach for where the Caps were at. The Caps thought they were still in a window of contention when they hired him, or were trying to keep it open, and it just didn't work out that way, although he kept them somewhat competitive. He's definitely a coach who favors the veterans and he's probably not the guy you want if your goal is development, which is probably what the Caps should have been doing. For the Rangers, who are in a window of contention right now, I think he was a good hire. Although you may be disappointed at the opportunities (or lack thereof) that some of the younger players get.

See, this I don’t see…yet. He kept Cyulle up and on the 3rd line, and put Chytil and Laf on the 2nd with Bread. I think he’s doing a pretty good job so far with the younger players.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://x.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1715946413245223183

Game isn't over yet but Panarin and Chytil are on fire.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/based_shesty/status/1716163143217328161

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mike Works posted:

Anyone got eyes on Trouba

Lmao but also my lord

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1718002666536669214

It's not exciting or anything but I also love the crest and those arm stripes are great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

There's a barstool Rangers dipshit "just asking questions" about whether the throat incident was on purpose and I didn't think I could be surprised by how low that org will go but here we are. Jfc what an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not gonna link it because I don't want him getting any engagement on it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WeaponX posted:

Just stop reading after you see “barstool”

I think I had him in my follows from the playoffs two years ago. I've made exceptions in the past (Big Cat, PFT) but yeah that dudes gone from the TL now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers sweep their road trip despite the terrible reffing at the end of that game tonight.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

They started looking real scrambly and confused jn coverage and not all on the same page as this trip went on but I’m chalking it up to still getting the system and less good practice time on a long trip

Agreed but they find ways to win which is encouraging. Kakko should not take breakaways :lol:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry but Im going to need some citations on them being the most exciting team in the NHL.

Because here is the only citation I needed:

Rangers fans said "Devils suck."

And you can always trust Rangers fans.

They finally caught up to the Rangers on power play goals so let them have some fun. They've earned it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

They've only got 4 games over the next two weeks (which is stupid!) so this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Also Quick has been surprisingly good if you don't count the preseason.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jovial Cow posted:

Not looking forward to Rangers sans Fox. I hope it is indeed minor.

The upside is we have a coach who might be willing to put Key in as PP1QB.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

deety posted:

It's wild to me that Rangers fans can cheer on Trouba as their captain but also explode into rage over Sebastian Aho: Notorious Hockey Goon.

You can say whatever you want about Jake, idc, but Aho was a little bitch last night when Laf and a few others went after him for that hit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fox gets a little break, im not gonna Zapruder the incident or get mad, but it sucks!

Still no news on Chytil is scary tho!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I said it! Jacob Trouba is Bavarian.

Over the line!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kale posted:

That Fox situation sucks pretty hard for Rangers fans. I imagine his absence would be immediately noticeable within a matter of the next few games.

It's a good opportunity to see if Miller can step into Pp1QB duties. Last game Lavy shoved Gustafsson there and he was decent but there's opportunities for the kids to step up.

And despite Caps fans saying Lavy is bad with kids, he's done a good job with it on the Rangers so far.

But yes it's a huge downgrade for at least 4 games.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

B Squad Leader posted:

https://youtu.be/Pqz2RmwOcwg?si=jeX72yzcOVpfogS6

Mat Barzal was fined $5000 (the maximum allowable under the CBA) for high-sticking Tony DeAngelo

I've watched this 5 times on repeat and it never gets old.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

It's very funny watching Erik Gustafsson, a guy Keefe also deemed unplayable who often looked lost in this team's structure last year, now lighting it up for NYR while the Leafs go through the exact same song and dance with pretty much the same (though much more expensive) guy in Klingberg.

I was nonplussed when they signed him this summer but he fuckin rules. Everyone was going "Wheeler at that price is a great signing!" when we should have been saying that about Gusty.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I still don't know what any of this means.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

you don't know what save percentage is?

Honestly with all that poo poo in the tweet I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Knoblauch has filled in a few times for the Rangers and was pretty good. I know he wasn’t great for Philly, but good for him.

E: Hartford really turned it around under him too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers are in that cushy space that only they can inhabit where they're 20th in the league in 5v5 xgoals but dominating the standings anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-ZwI_jUfo

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Starsfan posted:

It is amazing how all the most qualified people for these jobs in Edmonton happen to be people from Connor McDavid's past..

Again, while theres a connection, imo Knoblauch has earned another shot at an NHL coaching job. He’s done pretty drat well with Hartford and filled in for Quinn a few years ago. It sucks that it’s for the Oilers clown show and if he was a Holland pick he’s probably a dead man walking but who knows.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Starsfan posted:

he has a record of 119-122 in the AHL (yes 30 of those losses are in the OT / shootout, but still he's won less than half his games)

It's not the typical record of performance that demands a chance at the NHL, but it may be that the Hartford Wolf Pack are typically a tire fire and a .500 record is unusually good for them for all I know..

The Wolfpack were a train wreck before Drury put him in place there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

whatis posted:

i dont know if it's actually gonna happen but there's a lot of chatter in buffalo that patrick kane is in town right now and is negotiating a contract. local bloggers and reporters alike both hinting at something possibly happening soon

God I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

It's been a long wait. But folks, Alexis Lafreniere has arrived.