Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hell yeah, this core group is gonna own for many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1712483746635497855?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Henri Jokiharju’s pick is outstanding. Also lmao Jeff Skinner

Dylan Cozens picking White Horse is also amazing

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I watched Saw X on Wednesday and went to the Sabres game last night and I can’t decide which was more disturbing.

Seriously though, it’s one game and they looked really discombobulated. Didn’t help that the Rangers somehow managed to block a million shots and had a Vezina-level goalie. I’ll be worried if the Sabres are still playing that way a month in.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That and Peterka’s goal were the best parts. Pretty much the entire rest of the game was bad lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres game last night was bizarre. The first Islanders goal came after it looked like Clifton was tripped, the second one was a totally weird bounce and the third one might have been knocked down with a high stick but apparently the NHL can’t be bothered to have cameras set up so they can get a good viewing angle to determine that.

At least the Sabres played pretty well and the Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson line is insanely good. It sucks to start 0-2-0 but they’ll bounce back.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait, how did that happen? I thought they had Charlotte or whatever?

Edit: oh Charlotte is Florida’s affiliate. Weird.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 16, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The debate about whether Breaking Free would be a good goal song is over.

https://twitter.com/crossswordspod/status/1714430794268106905?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

It’s good

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Life is pain

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mind_Taker posted:

Devon Levi is already injured huh. Who could have seen that coming.

Anyways Buffalo has been really overrated this offseason by the pundits. I know things can change but I thought it was a bit wild that so many people had them in the postseason and a lot of talking heads even had them above Boston somehow IIRC.

From what I was reading today it seemed like a minor injury they didn’t want to aggravate. Benson got hurt too although in his case they have to figure out what to do before he plays 8 games or whatever so it makes sense to pull him out of the lineup.

They were already burning Levi out by starting him the first four games in a row. He did it at the end of last season after playing a season of college hockey and the NCAA tournament immediately before. Coming into a fresh season is totally different. This trial by fire thing is definitely not working so far, so this is a good thing in the end.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

According to the Sabres’ news update today the “lower-body injury” Benson and Levi have are soreness. Levi‘a back is sore from carrying the weight of all the expectations on him. Comrie is starting tonight and I can only hope he plays well so maybe Donny G will split starts between him and Levi going forward.

The Sabres have a lot going for them tonight: it’s a home game against a team playing the second night of a back-to-back, they have new line combinations which could spark something in them, they’re playing with a fresh goalie and they’re wearing the black & red goat head jerseys. If they can take advantage of the opportunity they’re being given they will win but it’s the Sabres so who knows?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 21, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The players are fine. Levi and Benson are fine, they are not being ruined. I’m tuned out until the coaching changes.

Granato isn’t the problem, he is fine. He has done a great job developing the young guys and understanding their strengths/weaknesses. The good players aren’t playing well, hope that helps.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Erik Johnson after three games is saying nobody knows what they’re doing on defense is the exact opposite of fine.

He can develop all day but he can’t coach.

lol ok

Sabres are back, baby

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

grack posted:

If Erik Johnson says your team sucks at defense, does that actually mean they're GOOD at defense?

They were good tonight. Erik Johnson has also been good in his five games so far, so :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Comrie wasn’t a total screw up for once. Wonder if injuries really all it was last year. And why they bother holding onto UPL any longer

He shut out the Islanders last season 2-0. They can’t waive UPL because they’d lose him for nothing. I don’t know why they haven’t traded him yet, but knowing their luck Comrie or Levi would immediately get hurt if they did.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Buffalo loves outplaying their opponent for 90% of the game and losing anyway

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/puckreportnhl/status/1716998162550858201?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Tuch got wrecked in that fight and the disruption nearly cost the Sabres the game but the fact that it didn’t and Tkachuk gets an automatic suspension is lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bub spank posted:

Tkachuk isn’t getting suspended for the instigator from his fight with Tuch, and it seems like the reason is because the Sens scored 2 goals right after the fight and made it a close game. NHL is Calvinball.

https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1717192237732250104?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

It literally turned into a fight fest though???? What the gently caress.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is Tuch getting suspended for the flagrant attempt to severely injure Tkachuk? No? Then color me unsurprised Tkachuk isn't getting suspended either.

The league office can't come right out and say "well Tuch tried to destroy his knee so kicking his rear end was justified in this case" because they don't want to answer the followup question "well then what discipline is Tuch getting for the attempt to injure?" So they gotta make up whatever bullshit.

Tkachuk cross-checked Tuch in the head, so Tuch hip-checked him which led to the fight. Tkachuk 100% started it there’s no question. Here’s the whole sequence:

https://twitter.com/everydaysens/status/1716988151158407419?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

What on earth is that thing even supposed to be

I don't mean Mrs. McDavid, I mean the kindergarten fingerpaint smears behind her

It was probably expensive. That means it’s good, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

eXXon posted:

The NY Sound is especially underwhelming with the freaking Sound Tigers nearby.

Wait... they're just the Bridgeport Islanders now? gently caress that, contract the Islanders.

Several of the AHL teams have just adapted the name of the NHL team and it sucks rear end, Bridgeport Sound Tigers was an awesome name. I suppose it makes it easier to tell which team org they belong to.

It makes me glad that teams with long histories like the Rochester Americans and Hershey Bears exist and won’t change their names or go away.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levitate posted:

Can the devils out score their problems all year?? Let’s find out

To be fair, Clifton got ejected early on and Comrie died for no reason and there was that bullshit around the delay of game penalty and the Devils still only barely won.

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1718049927702425606?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m not sure Clifton meant to do that, regardless it was a very bad hit and he is getting a hearing tomorrow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Starsfan posted:

my Connor Clifton connection is one of my co-workers asked me to give them suggestions for how to fill out the local fire departments hockey pool because they don't watch hockey but they play every year anyway and they always finish in last place and they were tired of it... one of those simple ones where you just pick 1 name out of 5 in a bucket and there's 30 buckets or whatever. When I looked at the scoring for the pool it turned out that penalty minutes, hits and blocked shots were each worth half of what a goal or assist was and those were the only stats tracked in the pool.

well anyways my co-worker now knows Connor Clifton specifically by name because I told them that while the strategy we used to pick the players was solid, the risk was that some of the players selected are so bad at playing hockey that they may get benched or cut from the team, and the Sabres fans on my internet forum say that Connor Clifton is potentially one of those players.

I doubt it though since they gave him a 3 year deal at 3 mill a season lol

He’ll keep playing, he hasn’t been that bad apart from a stupid penalty or two including this one which was a doozy.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

those jerseys own

and the league better loving give Clifton 10+
in an ideal world I'd have him sitting half the season to get that kinda poo poo out of the game

how many times must the league leading scorers get concussed by nobodies before the league finally does something about that poo poo
nobody likes a blindside hit, it adds nothing to the game

He’s definitely going to get suspended but I doubt it’ll be for that long.

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1718292808878973266?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Comrie is definitely dead, Levi apparently can’t even play yet either lol

Edit: UPL is starting tomorrow so enjoy your win, Colorado

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Remeber when Buffalo let Ullmark walk and signed a 40 year old Craig Anderson?

I’m pretty sure Ullmark walked, Buffalo wanted to sign him but he wanted a contract with term and Kevyn wasn’t willing. They were negotiating up until the day of free agency iirc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

on one hand, Hischier probably comes from Nazi gold and money laundering money. on the same hand, he plays for the Devils. also on the same hand, Hischier had plenty of time and saw Clifton, so Clifton probably expected for Hischier to do the bare minimum of protecting himself and get his shoulder up. so I’m not sure how to feel about this one.

I agree with you, it was a weird play that Clifton misread. He should have seen that Hischier wasn’t even looking.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen with his first career shutout.

Avalanche have been shutout twice in a row, 4-0 both games, after winning their first six. Very strange!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This wasn’t even a hit lol Okposo barely touched him. He ended up coming back out for the third period so it ended up being nothing at all!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The best part of that Okposo/Makar thing is that MacKinnon got 2 minutes plus a 10 minute misconduct for yelling at the refs for not penalizing Okposo lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/thefourthperiod/status/1719786986179842192?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

As a Sabres fan, I support this 100%

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres scored 5 goals on 15 shots last night, is that good? Also UPL stopped 38 of 40 including a 2-on-0 in the third period but one of the goals he let in was a real stinker, I wish goaltending made any loving sense lol

Also I don’t wanna laugh at an injury but Hart got injured when Cam Atkinson pushed Brandon Boro and they both crashed into Hart and look it’s kinda sad but also funny when a team injures their own goalie.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Me yesterday: The Sabres are good again!

Me today: hmmmmmmm

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Once, there was this team who,
Couldn't make the playoffs

The inconsistency is the thing that’s killing them. They had two wins with two great goalie performances followed by an absolutely abysmal performance from everyone, including the same goalie. Idk what to make of them yet. They’ve improved in some areas (defensive play from the forwards, penalty kill) but their power play went from top ten to bottom 3. Still don’t even have consistently average goaltending. Very frustrating!!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Thompson started the season slow and got separated from Tuch. Tuch away from Thompson takes away their big man mismatch that causes other teams fits. Greenway is good this year but it’s not the same thing. Reunite the tall boys

Tuch is playing with Tage rn and is still being really stupid, idk what’s wrong with him but it isn’t because he wasn’t playing with Tage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Leafs’ power play is really good

Too bad they’re awful at 5-on-5 lmao

https://x.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1720981822023106894?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Hahaha

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 5, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/peteblackburn/status/1720977830756958357?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

:lmao: a woman threw her bra on the ice when Matthews scored his third goal.

https://x.com/sportsnet/status/1720992314020037010?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Jesus Christ what the gently caress

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

Me Today: The Sabres are good again!

I hate to hand it to Mike Harrington, but he was ripping people on Twitter who were freaking out about the loss to the Flyers. They’ve won four of their last six including a shutout. Like yeah it sucks when they lose, especially since we all want them to make the playoffs, but in the bigger picture they’re improving a lot. If they win 2/3 of their remaining games they’ll be a 100 point team.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

Sabres may have won 4 of their last 6, but they also played like complete crap in 4 of the last 6. They kinda lucked into 2 more wins than they should have gotten, against the Sens and Flyers.

If they play like they did against the AVs and Leafs they’ll win a lot of games. But we’ve only seen them do that in 3 out of 12 games.

They were playing well in the Ottawa game until the final three minutes or so. UPL was playing well. The only game they didn’t outplay the opponent but still won was the Flyers game and UPL was the reason they were able to do it. They managed to keep that Devils game close in spite of everything.

Once the Sabres get consistently average goaltending it’s over for you bitches

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m fine with the Sabres losing in OT to the Canes. They’re 3-1-1 in their last five games and are above .5 for the first time this season. Tuch was a liability the first five games or so, but since then he’s had 9 points. UPL has been solid in all but one game. I think they’ll be okay if they can keep this up.

Edit: 13 points in 13 games is exactly .5, I am good at math

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Absolutely filthy passing from Skinner and TAGE to set up Peterka for this goal

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1723162339476725771?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Edit: the Sabres are in 6th place in the Atlantic but only one point behind the 3rd place team and two behind the 2nd place team. The early season is pretty wild.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 11, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres are honoring Kyle Okposo tonight since it’s his 1000th game. Considering that they got shut out by the shambling husk of Tristan Jarry on Saturday, you can be sure the Bruins are going to absolutely crush them and ruin the celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tage is dead, RIP the Sabres hopes and dreams

https://twitter.com/joeyerdon/status/1724626397270851814?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q