Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Zodijackylite posted:

It sure is, must've been the Torts era last time they had noticeable structure.

I think it's about what to expect in the first game of a season with eight players born in the 2000s, looking to have them rise out of a rebuild. Despite the Rangers' focus on the "kids" (mostly now 4-7 seasons into their career) they got a lot of older role players to fit a structured system. It's game one of this system, too, so it's not like they could've scouted and coached for it.

Can't wait to read all season long how the Rangers are boring and play the trap and only win because of that :allears:

I think they did a pretty good job moving back and forth between being aggressive and playing support and backing off when it made sense. Will be interesting to see how it goes throughout the season

Also, dang I just continue to be impressed with how Kreider basically re-made his game from being "that fast guy who looks for home run passes" to "net front guy who relies on smarts and hand-eye coordination to score most of his goals"

For a guy who always had the "tools but no toolbox" label, he plays an incredibly smart game around the net. It's not just him relying on his size and strength, he's always moving around and giving his teammates different looks and making it hard for the D to find ways to tie him up. not just a "stand in front and hope pucks bounce off him" but actively working in and out of the net front and knowing just how to get there at the right time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

what’s fascinating to me is how much of a set play kinda guy he is. he’s always been a super smart guy, but most of his rush goals blitzing by people have been off of set plays that he clearly plans and practices with guys in advance. it makes the net front power play part of his game make a lot more sense, because that’s can be all study and strategy, which it 100% is for him.

he scores or helps pretty much all of the same 4-5 different types of goals where he’s doing his thing. the goal last night on the tip, I’ve seen him score that exact same one like twenty times. he’s moving to the RW side of the goalie and deliberately tipping the puck with the shaft of his stick if it’s a high shot. he is the only one that I’ve personally ever seen be near Crosby level in terms of redirection, but Crosby’s is way more inventive and less strategical.

it helps explain why he’s so good with Fox and Panarin on the powerplay, because they just process the game so much faster than anyone else, but they know exactly where he’s going to be when they have it. he’s really almost never improvising on there unlike Bread, who only gets truly excited when he can score/assist in some new silly way.

I need to find videos of this, but it was really funny a couple of years ago where Zibanejad scored like…15 goals on the powerplay where he would get the puck on his off side, Kreider would stand in “bad” screening position covering the very LW side of the net, the goalie would very easily move their head over to the RW side of the net to see around Kreid, Zibanejad would aim for the top LW corner, Kreider would just move out of the way for an easy goal.

i 100% believe it led to him getting 52 goals the next year because coaches must have freaked out at it so bad that they committed so hard on Zibanejad that he got like 30 easy backdoor tap-ins.

I mean he'd probably have scored 45 or something last year if he got some puck luck on the power play

He's very hard to stop in front of the net because he's not giving goalies and defensemen just one look, and yeah it's a very analytical approach but also very good feel for how to apply it. Of course having Zibanejad, Panarin, and Fox feeding pucks towards the net helps a great deal as well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jhet posted:

This is why standardized discipline needs to be a thing. Granted, I’m not sure why they took that down to 2”, so it’s me just yelling at clouds. The first thing that made contact there was his knee and it’s what caused the infringement. Should have just stuck with the major.

Personally I’d be down with a minimum 1 game suspension for any game misconduct, but I think right now that’s only for match penalties in the NHL.

I think part of the problem is then some star does something and the NHL doesn't want to suspend them so instead of just acknowledging they'll be pulling a double standard they just let poo poo slide for everyone but police the low skill guys a bit more

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

who among us etc etc

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

The NHLPA isn't keen on its players not getting paid. A whole section of the CBA is devoted to what the league can and cannot do with regards to suspensions and the players get a bunch of rights to appeal to a suspension of any length. It's easier for the league to not suspend guys which is why we typically see only fines or very short suspensions outside of egregious cases.

I also think the NHL kinda tossed the NHLPA those bones when negotiating the CBA...like, "sure you can only fine players $5k and suspensions will be lenient but in exchange expansion team dues don't count as revenue for the purposes of the salary cap, ok?"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

morningdrew posted:

They should make every suspension greater than the last, no matter how severe. I want to see Tony D get suspended in game 79 for 12 years and forfeit $12,450,600 in fines

I'm ok with this

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie first line tonight.

Will they even be able to make it up and/or down the ice?

:chloe:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That’s Chris Kreider money

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Turns out Carolina really isn't a lovable bunch of jerks.

Just jerks, all the way down.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

So, Arizona is pretty good?

Seem kinda young, up tempo, hard working with some talent.

I could see them as a team who does well in the first half of the season but kinda falls off as they wear down

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I'm glad the NHL is doing something about keeping a careful protective watch on Bedard after what we learned in recent years about how the Blackhawks organization treats young players

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cartoon Man posted:

Has anybody else tried to copy it yet? He’s been doing this successfully for like more than two years now. Is it hard as gently caress to do?

Panarin does stuff like that too though he usually slows down closer to the goal instead of creeping in slowly the whole way

Also neither here or there but it's a bit weird to me to see Caps fans so salty about Laviolette when he was obviously brought in to try to wring something out of the decaying corpse of that team, not to develop what mid young players the Caps might have.

Letting him go was the right thing to do but the Caps roster just wasn't/isn't that good anymore

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s been two games one of which they won, clearly they’re absolute dogshit trash and will never be successful this season. Carberry is a total fraud too and should be fired immediately.

glad you agree with me

but seriously, I ddon't have any complaints about them hiring Carberry. Laviolette wasn't the kind of coach I think you want to start what's eventually going to be a rebuild. Maybe Carberry manages it and sticks on, maybe he's around for 3-4 years as the Caps swim in mediocrity and try to accumulate some decent young players and rebound and then he's fired to bring in someone else who can put it together, who knows. But probably the right move to go with him and if I were a Caps fan my expectations wouldn't be very high as it feels like mostly it'll be the Ovi farewell tour while Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Wilson fart around on the ice and occasionally flash signs of their old skill

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Chad Sexington posted:

What's the alternative? We're supposed to like the guy?

:shrug:

question is more why do you hate him? the things I've seen caps fans fault him for seem more about issues with that roster than his gameplan

I mean sure I will say I'm invested in him being a decent coach at this point, but I've also always generally liked how he gets his teams to play and they've always been fast attacking teams that wanted to go on offense and score goals.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

To be fair the next team that hires Gallant im gonna make fun of and say he sucks (because he does), so im not shocked about Caps fans hating on Lav.

We’re only 3 game in, but im very happy with him.

This all started with Quinn, who was a terrible coach and a stupid hire. Gallant was a breath of fresh air with his hands off approach but that doesn’t work very long when you dont really run practices or know how to make adjustments. Lavy came in at a perfect time.

Quinn was hired as a "teaching" coach for the rebuild but then the Rangers went out and signed Panarin and had guys like Strome who hated the micromanaging approach that Quinn brought (though apparently Quinn learned he had to lay off of that and not coach like it was college).

I still think Gallant could be a pretty good overall coach if he just put some effort into being more hands on when it was required.

[quote]

Jamwad Hilder posted:

As a neutral fan who lives in DC and subsequently watches a lot of Caps games, I will say it's kind of in between. I think Laviolette is a good coach, I don't think he was the right coach for where the Caps were at. The Caps thought they were still in a window of contention when they hired him, or were trying to keep it open, and it just didn't work out that way, although he kept them somewhat competitive. He's definitely a coach who favors the veterans and he's probably not the guy you want if your goal is development, which is probably what the Caps should have been doing. For the Rangers, who are in a window of contention right now, I think he was a good hire. Although you may be disappointed at the opportunities (or lack thereof) that some of the younger players get.

Yeah I think that's mostly fair, though he is giving Will Cuyle a good shot at playing top 9 minutes and is on board with keeping Kakko and Laf on the top two lines as well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

cursed to watch the ages you knew and loved be passed by new generations and technologies while you're unable to die no matter how much you may wish it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol this headline (and the actual event)

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/sharks-ref-knocks-down-tony-deangelo-canes-18433497.php

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

to be fair I think it takes like 10-15 games for teams to kinda settle and you start getting enough data to see real trends

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Would have to look at the hit again later but I recall it more being kinda awkaward and more burakovsky not expecting to be hit for some reason and Trouba giving him a solid bump at best
The issue was he was an awkward distance to the boards and went into them weird

If he’d protected himself from the hit he’d probably be fine. I say this as a fan of a team with Filip Chytil on it whos a guy who seems to forget that “finishing a check” is a thing other players do to you in the NHL and has been injured several times because of it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Shoulda kept his head up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

I agree, he should have done the job right in the first place

:hai:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1717192237732250104?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

It literally turned into a fight fest though???? What the gently caress.

it's more because coaches would just put out their 4th lines and enforcers to start fights " to send a message" that the league was cracking down on when they made that rule

If it's more "organic fighting" then they probably shrug and let it go

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah he's just completely average at everything, it's almost remarkable how unremarkable his game is... but 600+ games and only 26 years old, veteran leadership baby!

most of the flames defense seemed bad at the whole "making good decisions" thing last night

really lol'ing at Tanev shooting the goalie stick out of the zone and flipping his poo poo because he got a penalty for it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Flames looked good for the first 5-10 minutes!

but yeah was a pretty blah game

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Black Stones posted:

Watching the games they have a burst where they look excellent and then something happens and they all stop giving a poo poo. It’s the exact thing we saw with a bunch of different coaches.

I’m hoping it’s just going to take a bit of time or else this will somehow be WORSE than Darryl Sutter which is mind boggling.

I think the one thing that did upset me in that game was Ruzicka getting nailed into the boards from behind and there being no call. That was a poo poo hit and I’m surprised the coach wasn’t raising hell about it.

eh nah it was from the side, but by the rules it was technically boarding. they just never call it unless you hit a guy from behind.

Weird hit but one you see guys throw fairly regularly

more surprised that the flames didn't then headhunt vesey so I assume they all just thought it was an unfortunate play

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

art doesn't have to be photorealistic pictures of things you weirdos :iiam:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1717568812629828024

This is very lame across the board and my enthusiasm is dampened if I have to support the Boston Wicked instead of the Boston Pride

Boston Strong(s)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the vibes in the entirety of Alberta must have been dismal last night. dual 3-0 losses on home ice. the Oilers fans were booing and I flip over to the Flames and they’re also booing.

fancystats say that the Oilers played alright…but I don’t really believe it. They kinda look listless. Although Quick was as dialed in last night as like any goalie I’ve ever seen. just made everything look easy. Skinner also had a good game, kept the Oilers in it for a while.

Rangers looking good! their fourth line is getting a bit caved, but their top three lines look good, and I can’t even loving tell you how much of a difference it is having an actual defenseman like Gustafsson on the third pair compared to Nemeth/Hajek/Harpur/Mikkola even. Best game that Wheeler played last night, too. He has no points (should have had his first but it was disallowed) but that line has been great.

One of the worst “kicking motion” calls I’ve seen in a long time

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

WeaponX posted:

It was just bizarre, they made the right call immediately and somehow there was enough evidence to overturn even though from every angle it was a textbook legal deflection off a skate. Like zero movement. Obviously no effect on game but it was a sick goal and a real shame.

He turned and dragged his foot a bit but it was like…skate blade was on the ice the whole time and he just turned his foot a bit

Honestly felt like a game management call…keep Edmonton theoretically in it a bit more

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

That Clutterbuck hit isn't that vicious but it was late and I think it being late probably contributed to Branstrom not properly bracing himself and landing awkwardly like he did.

Why is Cal Clutterbuck still in the league anyways

because he's part of the best fourth line in hockey!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Can the devils out score their problems all year?? Let’s find out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

As horrible as it is, the fact that it isn’t something that happens regularly and is in fact quite rare probably will mean no changes to equipment rules

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers sweep their road trip despite the terrible reffing at the end of that game tonight.

They started looking real scrambly and confused jn coverage and not all on the same page as this trip went on but I’m chalking it up to still getting the system and less good practice time on a long trip

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

More like the Pens are, currently, a top 5 spreadsheet team at 5v5 and all situations sunk by their weaknesses in goaltending and allergic reaction to scoring.

I mean I'll say something dumb here but some of the whole metrics at 5v5 and expected goals etc etc has to be taken with a bit of context of who is putting up the numbers and how it's being done. Like...putting up fantastic expected goals numbers doesn't always mean you're due to start scoring a ton of goals. It can also mean that you're playing well but you're bad at finishing. That can be a temporary thing...some guys you know won't shoot poorly all season, or it can be an expected long term thing with guys who have never scored a lot but are generally "good players" and generate a lot of those chances.

It's possible in the Pens case that they're "playing well" but age and roster construction also means that there's no turnaround waiting for them where they'll suddenly start living up to those numbers (especially if goaltending remains a weakness and they can't outscore it because they're not actually good as good at scoring as their expected numbers might suggest)

Then again I'm dumb and maybe don't understand poo poo

I do understand that the Rangers 4th line is somehow the worst in the whole loving league though and gets caved in every night and is dragging down the team overall numbers and I'm not even exaggerating when I say they're the worst lol

loving Bonino and Goodrow

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think recent games have been PP goal heavy but it was a bit more balanced before that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Dirty Burger posted:

I believe Carl Hagelin and Patrick Kane had the same type of hip surgery that Backstrom did, and they’re all around 35. Backstrom tried to come back but couldn’t skate at NHL speed, Hagelin retired, we’ll see which dumbass GM signs Kaner

the people I see saying "Kane will be better after this surgery, the Rangers need to sign him!" are driving me crazy

Kane is cooked (he's gonna sign with someone and score a bunch in teh first few games and people will crow and then he's gonna disappear after that)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I greatly doubt a lawsuit wiould actually happen, but he's barely veiling his threat of one in public to push the NHL to the negotiationconcession table

you hate love to see it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sounds like they should bring back Sutter

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/rupper17/status/1720463492656877770?s=46&t=mmkKQldZiNEN6JLnainqSg

at the very drat least Aho should have been called for interference here. No clue how it can be that blatant and not only get away with injuring a guy but also just completely taking him out of the play intentionally when the puck is 30 feet away. But hey the refs also missed 3 blatant high sticks from Carolina including one on a faceoff that cut Trocheck's nose. What a poo poo show of a game from the refs that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rumors have been something like a sprained MCL, which isn't terrible