Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The first big show I went to was the 2007 Armageddon PPV in Pittsburgh. There was a family in front of us, both kids dressed up like the Undertaker, and the mom kept drinking beer after beer from pretty much the first minute of the show. My dad goes "get ready for this to go bad" and about half an hour later she puked all over herself and the people in front of her. Security asked her to leave and the dad and kids stayed behind for the rest of the show. I would love to know how things went for that family.

I was at the 2014 Royal Rumble, which is the one that Batista won to a chorus of boos. My interest in wrestling was definitely waning at the time, but I was 100% confident that Daniel Bryan was winning the Rumble and going to Mania. So was 99% of that audience. When Rey Mysterio came out at #30 the boos were insane, I have never experienced anything even on that level. And it just continued on and on and on until Batista was eventually crowned the winner. As we were leaving the show people were still booing, a pretty big group of people started chanting "we want refunds", and in the parking garage people had rolled down their windows and started chanting "BULLSHIT" as we slowly made our way out.

But probably my favorite show was the 4th episode of Dynamite, also from Pittsburgh. This was the famous "not the drat dippin' dots" call from JR. The show was great but when we left we walked past that section where the brawl had taken place. They'd put up a wet floor sign and people were taking selfies with it, sadly the dippin' dots cart was MIA or else I would have grabbed a photo with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I think a lot about a moment at a Beyond Wrestling show (Powder Keg) where both Ricochet and Trevor Lee were booked. Trevor Lee was wrestling Brian Fury when this exchange occured:

Guy In Crowd: You're not even the best Trevor wrestling today!
Trevor Lee: What are you talking about?
Guy In Crowd: *didn't think this was going to turn into a conversation* Ricochet's name is Trev-
Trevor Lee: Ricochet's name is Ricochet, you IDIOT

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

An old friend of mine died recently (or faked his death due to a gambling persona, who knows?) and one memory that's been living rent free in my head is the time we and another friend went to an MSG house show back during the Attitude Era.

One of the matches was the Acolytes vs. Kane and X-Pac. The Acolytes were tag champs and this was before they had any personality or even promos. Meanwhile, Kane and X-Pac were huge at the time. Logically, we knew how this match was going to go. It was a title match on a house show. The Acolytes were obviously going to retain.

So we were cheering like crazy for the Acolytes. Getting so excited for the heels who nobody liked. It annoyed some of the people around us because Kane and X-Pac were probably the most popular non-main event act at the show.

While X-Pac was getting destroyed and we were cheering it on, a kid yelled at us, "The Acolytes suck!" My friend immediately yelled back, "The Acolytes are WINNING!"

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I was at the Raw after Wrestlemania 30 and right as the show was starting I choked on one of the nacho chips I was eating. The little rear end in a top hat was wedged sideways in my throat, which in addition to cutting off my ability to breath was also quite painful. Nacho chips are sharp. Anyway, I was kinda starting to panic so I did the natural thing and grabbed my beer and took a big swig. That didn't work. The beer just piled up on the chip and didn't seem to be going anywhere. So I turned around and, aiming for the space behind the chairs but not on the floor of the row behind, released everything I could.

I could breath again!

However, it turns out sitting behind me was a middle aged dad and his two young sons. The dad gave me poo poo for being drunk and puking on his kids, to which I argued that I was choking and didn't have a choice, but the truth is I was kinda drunk and the kids probably did get some puke on them so :shrug:

And that's as far as it went! I turned back around, watched the show and had a great time. I think the dad/kids may have got up and left but I dunno, it was life or death. gently caress em. And then Ultimate Warrior died!

The end

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I went to a house show once and Backlund was there and surprisingly tall for his size. He tried to sell me fitness equipment and all that it was visually, was a box. He said that he used it all the time on the road. He said that I could make down payments on it. I look back on it now as Backlund trying to work me into buying a box. What a carny.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

I've been "accidentally" kicked in the nuts by both Drago kid and Bobby Beverly

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I went to a lovely local indy show when I was like 15 and there was a big multi man match. At some point during the bout there was a guy outside the ring, down on the floor by the apron selling. Meanwhile a legit 300 pound dude took a bump in the ring and started rolling out of the ring, clearly unaware he was about to squash first guy. My friends and I started yelling at the floor guy to get out of the way, but it was too late. He looked up at us just as the big dude dropped off the apron and absolutely flattened him. Guy didn’t get back in the ring after that. Hope he was okay.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I was at a Chikara show and during the preshow Bryce Remsburg was interviewing people in the audience for the livestream. He handed the microphone to a kid who said "I'm only here because I have to be"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
ROH Glory by Honor 2007 (night 2) had a Briscoes vs Jimmy Jacobs & Necro Butcher streetfight main event, and I was front row with some other goons. Necro was bleeding especially profusely (for a non-deathmatch tag) and asked me a very sincere question.

Necro: Is it bad?

Me: Uh... yeah, it's pretty bad :gonk:

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Went to that first touring NXT show when they traveled to San Jose, both Kevin and Sami were injured so I didn't get to see them wrestle which was a bummer, but I did get to see the crowd fall in love with Jason Jordan in real time. He started off getting "Let's go Jobber!" chants but by the time the straps came down the place was on fire for him.

Met Dan Ryckert walking out of the venue, nice guy!

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Wait that's not even my favorite one. My local indie had a locker room emptying brawl that spilled into the crowd while I was up getting a beer, chairs being thrown everywhere, I didn't know where any of my stuff was and was worried about anything getting stepped on or damaged and then I see

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

When I went to see AEW Collision live on September 23, I was sitting in front of a family with a young daughter who really enjoyed wrestling.

I will never forget how, after the Jay White/Andrade El Idolo match, she spent like a minute trying to convince her parents she was chanting "Butt Boys" and not "rear end Boys".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've got a few. This will be an effort post.

So, I live in NW Ontario. Population of about 110K, we're mostly known as a hockey city as that has something like 20-30 guys who've played in the NHL. The nearest city to us of any real size is Winnipeg. After ECW died, we started getting shows.

Promoted by Don Callis. He was also, if you can believe it, the #1 babyface. Before people assume he was one of those promoters who booked himself as a superman, he thankfully didn't, he mostly worked against semi-"name" guys like Terry Taylor and Shane Douglas. And he later revealed on his podcast with Lance Storm that his plan was for Mikey Whipweck to be his top face, but Mikey no showed his 1st booking, and has apparently never explained why.

But I haven't told you who the promotions champ and #1 heel was.

It was SA/Japanese Death Match legend Dr.Luther. He came put to a metal arrangement of the Empire's theme from the first few Star Wars films.

It's kinda neat to look back at the roster Don assembled. You had OVW washout/rich man's Val Venis, "The First Nation Sensation", Wavell Starr whose catchphrase was "Nobody stretches beaver like an Indian". There was a guy named Crash Crimson, who reminded me a lot of Balls Mahoney in that he had a gimmicked chair (that he didn't use the first couple shows we attended). He also took an insane bump in a match that wasn't attached to a feud to my knowledge.
There was Scott D'Amore (yes, the guy who runs Impact), who apparently saved a show from being canceled due to fire code violations. There was Johnny Swinger, who to this day if my brother wants to annoy me, he just has to sing the chorus to his theme. There was pre-Team Canada Johnny Devine, who I was convinced was going to be a megastar. Guy was snakebit as hell and I had no idea of the indie revolution yet to come, which would make his ringwork seem just good as opposed to revolutionary. However, he's still had the best match I've ever seen in person....with one of the Highlanders. Yes, THOSE Highlanders. There was future TUF contestant Krystzof "Ivan" Szosynski, being pushed similarly to Goldberg.

And, incredibly, there was Kenny "By God" Omega. Super young. I'm not gonna try to snow you and tell you that 19 year old me knew Kenny was going to be the symbol of wrestling excellence he became, but my brother and I agreed he had something after the 1st time we saw him. Mainly due to this bit:

(Kenny is tagging with a Manitoba guy named Ozz. Ozz is not good, but he looks vaguely like Eminem. That's enough in 2002. They're heels, and are working a guy over in the corner. Then this happens:

Kenny, pointing at the face team's corner: Ref, I swear to God, that guys trying to cheat!

(Ref turns around, restrains the face, Kenny makes a bunch of faces, including the thing where you press your thumb on your nose and jiggle your fingers, while stomping the ribcage of the rando he's working over).

Genius. Got a ton of heat.

So this promotion would run 3-4 times a year, and we'd go every time. A few memories:

-Gama Singh's nephews, the ones who later became Jinder Mahal's toadies, getting absolutely mauled by canadian indy lifer Evil Eddie Watts. Even then they seemed to be determined to bump themselves into a wheelchair.

-One year, they ran on my birthday. On the way to Thunder Bay, the ring truck broke down. They called a truck to bring it in the rest of the way.

That truck also broke down. So instead of a bell time of 730, we started at 915. Shane Douglas vs Don Callis not only sucked but started at midnight.

-Speaking of ring trucks, the Balls Mahoney wannabe I mentioned earlier, Crash Crimson did the dumbest bump I've ever seen in person: got on top of a semi cab to brawl, ran at a guy to do a spear, guy sidesteps, Crimson tumbles forward off the cab, through a table. Crimson btw looked about 275-300 lbs.

-Don brought in Johnny Smith at one point. I was kinda jazzed, I figured if he's good enough to work Japan regularly, this will be great. He faces Eddie Watts, who isn't exactly Bret Hart but is a very competent brawler. They them proceed to spend a good 2 minutes trying to reverse each other's vertical suplex. I'm not exaggerating. The match just felt off.

-Johnny Devine had an incredible match with Robbie McAllister. It was a LMS match after they'd traded wins for a few shows, and the finish was a Tiger Driver '98 off the apron through a table. Afterwards, people are collecting their stuff and leaving since it was the main. Johnny gets on the mic, drenched in blood, SCREAMS "Wait!" and tells us that while he appreciated us being so devoted to him (there was a section of guys at every show show that thought Johnny was, if you'll pardon the wordplay, the 2nd coming) , we should show McAllister appreciation too.

Good times. Independent wrestling rules.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 13, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One time I was at a Chikara show and Eddie Kingston walked out. This was when he was a top heel and while everyone nearby was booing and giving thumbs down and the like, I decided to do a fake yawn as he was walking by. Eddie saw this and it set him off and he got in my face about it. I played into it and insulted him back. Then Eddie yelled to the security and told them to kick me out before continuing his entrance.

Two students (one of them very obviously the man who would become Tursas) thought he was serious and were telling me to go until I promised I would behave and convinced them to back off.

Eddie's in the ring and during the opponent's entrance he turns to me, looking like, "What are you still doing here?!" and I put my hands up like I'm backing off and don't want any trouble. Right as I think he might be legit mad at me, he quickly smirks and winks at me before turning away.

Later on during intermission, I see one of the students who was ready to kick me out and I apologize. He tells me, "Yeah, Eddie has low blood sugar and he gets like that."

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFNE3RwClXs

One of the first times I ever presented femme in public was at a Discovery Wrestling show in Edinburgh in around 2018. I was sat in the front, with two of my friends behind me (because they couldn't get front row tickets in time lmao) and I was kinda nervous the whole time.

Anyway, at some point in the midcard, DCT came out for a match, and his whole gimmick was (still is? haven't kept up with the Scottish indies since the pandemic, especially since I caught the roni at another Disco show last year) the International Sex Hero, who is basically Joey Ryan but good and not a rapist. So he did his entrance, and at one point when he was circling the ring, he saw me, clocked me as trans, and immediately said 'Beautiful!' I turned to my friends, I said to them 'he called me beautiful!' and one of them replied 'because you ARE beautiful!'

ngl, it was really loving validating, and it's why I'll always consider DCT one of my favourite wrestlers in Scotland

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Venomous posted:

One of the first times I ever presented femme in public was at a Discovery Wrestling show in Edinburgh in around 2018. I was sat in the front, with two of my friends behind me (because they couldn't get front row tickets in time lmao) and I was kinda nervous the whole time.

Anyway, at some point in the midcard, DCT came out for a match, and his whole gimmick was (still is? haven't kept up with the Scottish indies since the pandemic, especially since I caught the roni at another Disco show last year) the International Sex Hero, who is basically Joey Ryan but good and not a rapist. So he did his entrance, and at one point when he was circling the ring, he saw me, clocked me as trans, and immediately said 'Beautiful!' I turned to my friends, I said to them 'he called me beautiful!' and one of them replied 'because you ARE beautiful!'

ngl, it was really loving validating, and it's why I'll always consider DCT one of my favourite wrestlers in Scotland

:3:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I forgot a couple, the Eddie story reminded me of the first one.

After Don stopped promoting altogether, Thunder Bay didn't get many shows. Then Danny Duggan started promoting here, and one of his top heels before njpw gave him a full time gig was Chase Owens.

Chase was pretty over because he was Bullet Club by this point, but he'd still try like hell to get heel heat. At one point he was firmly in control and, started doing signature moves of various BC members. I was front row, and yelled out "Now do one of Gallows' moves!". So he points at me, goes "Good idea!" throws his opponent into the corner, and does a combo of body shots like Luke occasionally does. Guy crumples in the corner to sell, Chase comes out to try and Too Sweet me, I don't fall for it thankfully, and I hear him go "drat, almost had 'em."

He also sold popcorn being thrown at him by young kids during his entrance.

The other story from when Don Callis was promoting that I can't believe I forgot was that at one point, Don brought in Jerry Lynn. Easy decision to go, as Jerry Lynn is my brother's favorite wrestler and I've always thought Jerry was awesome. Plus they're bringing in AJ Styles and both are challenging for the promotions' heavyweight championship in a 3 way.

My brother buys me a Polaroid with Jerry, as it's my birthday, and at the time Jerry was X division champion. Jerry lets me hold the belt for my photo.

I promptly accidentally drop it on Jerry's foot. Jerry, being one hell of a nice man (his reputation is so golden that Chuck & Trent used to have a segment on their old Highspots show where they'd ask people for their favorite Jerry Lynn memory, as it's Chuck's contention that nobody in industry could ever dislike him), doesn't get mad.

The motherfucker sold for me. I apologized immediately, Jerry is super cool about it, and he AJ and Luther had the best match of the night.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 13, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I forgot a couple, the Eddie story reminded me of the first one.

After Don stopped promoting altogether, Thunder Bay didn't get many shows. Then Danny Duggan started promoting here, and one of his top heels before njpw gave him a full time gig was Chase Owens.

Chase was pretty over because he was Bullet Club by this point, but he'd still try like hell to get heel heat. At one point he was firmly in control and, started doing signature moves of various BC members. I was front row, and yelled out "Now do one of Gallows' moves!". So he points at me, goes "Good idea!" throws his opponent into the corner, and does a combo of body shots like Luke occasionally does. Guy crumples in the corner to sell, Chase comes out to try and Too Sweet me, I don't fall for it thankfully, and I hear him go "drat, almost had 'em."

He also sold popcorn being thrown at him by young kids during his entrance.

The other story from when Don Callis was promoting that I can't believe I forgot was that at one point, Don brought in Jerry Lynn. Easy decision to go, as Jerry Lynn is my brother's favorite wrestler and I've always thought Jerry was awesome. Plus they're bringing in AJ Styles and both are challenging for the promotions' heavyweight championship in a 3 way.

My brother buys me a Polaroid with Jerry, as it's my birthday, and at the time Jerry was X division champion. Jerry lets me hold the belt for my photo.

I promptly accidentally drop it on Jerry's foot. Jerry, being one hell of a nice man (his reputation is so golden that Chuck & Trent used to have a segment on their old Highspots show where they'd ask people for their favorite Jerry Lynn memory, as it's Chuck's contention that nobody in industry could ever dislike him), doesn't get mad.

The motherfucker sold for me. I apologized immediately, Jerry is super cool about it, and he AJ and Luther had the best match of the night.
Luther appreciates your assistance in taking out a threat

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One time at a Chikara show, future Dark Order founders Player Uno and Stupefied lost a trios match after Uno got hit with a Mantis Bomb from UltraMantis Black. After the match, Uno rolled out of the ring and ended up crawling up to me, selling the move (it was a piledriver variant) by asking if I could rub a specific spot on his head. And so I did.

Then Stupefied walked over to me and said, "I really appreciate you doing that," before giving me a very sweaty hug. Everyone there did a big, "AWWWWWW!"

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Venomous posted:

This is really sweet and I've always loved DCT :3:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My pal and I got front row seats to Mania 27. Historically terrible show, I know, but it was in Atlanta so we had to go. The weekend was full of great little experiences, but for VIP ticket holders there was a special entrance to the arena. There we were met by our two ushers, Jimmy Hart and Sgt. Slaughter.

And both were working the entire time. Hart was shrieking, Slaughter calling us maggots and dressing us down the entire walk down the hallway to the VIP section. Such a wild way to start the show for us.

The next night at Raw, then NXT rookie Ivelisse Velez spilled the drunk guy next to me's beer all over me during some kind of donnybrook. She ignored it and it sucked. Shortly after Booker T gave me a towel, though. So I have a Booker T towel somewhere in my house.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I mentioned this in another thread but most recently I went to a GCW show, and it was my first time going to any wrestling at all in a long time for a lot of reasons. It turned out to be a really wonderful time that helped a lot, and even made me and one of my friends go closer, so that was nice. But the moment of the night was Matt Cardona coming out for his match against local favorite Cole Radrick and Cardona heeling it up hard. I think the promoters knew to play to our group because we were heckling and cheering all night so Cardona went right up to one of my friends and got in his face, and the two had such a lengthy and intense shouting match that security eventually had to walk out and tell Matt to stop telling my friend to gently caress off and get to the ring :allears:

My first indy show experience was when I had just moved back to America after getting super into wrestling overseas, around 2010. I had heard all about ROH and CHIKARA and watched a whole bunch of grainy gifs and camrips of Danielson matches, and even found a DVD for 3PW Raven's Rules (an extremely bad show, on that note) so I was so jazzed to see a local Indy. This is where the stars of the future were made!!!!

Anyway one of the guys I remember the most was "Midnight" Matt Ryan who I can only describe as looking like a Fat Orange Bret Hart, and he become a running gag between me and some friends online because he was so hilariously unimpressive. Later when I trained I would find that other local wrestlers also found him as funny because he was the definition of a local lifer with a chip on his shoulder. I also have a signed bandana from that show but I have absolutely no idea what wrestler tossed it to me. There was also a guy in a clown mask who entered to YMCA. Basically, it loving ruled. :3:

I have a few others - I once went to an NXT house show where Punishment Martinez debuted and me and my roommates decided to go absolutely apeshit for him because he was tall and had a funny name and we vaguely remembered him from All In, and someone posted on Reddit some results from the house show and wondered why Punishment Martinez was so over. And one time, before a Smackdown, Percy Watson came back to NXT season 4 and I lost my mind because I loved the dude and you can actually hear on the show a part where his entrance music ends and I yell "OH YEAH!!" and he responds "OH YEAH!!". That might have been his final Oh Yeah.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Here's a couple-

Obligatory wearing RELEASE THE DOVES shirt to WM24 and thus having to explain this forum to some WWE official who thought the shirt was cool.

ROH's FIght at the Roxbury- Had to convince a friend that since we were in the 4th row, we would be safe from wrestlers coming at us. Cut to 3rd match, Kevin Steen vs Mark Briscoe... about 5 minutes in, they fight on the outside and Steen promptly picks Mark up and heaves him into the audience, Mark landing right in front of my nervous friend.

My first Beyond Wrestling show, Paul London was in the main event and he was doing this thing where his entrance was basically walking around the Fete property. I got bored midway through and went to the bathroom and as Im walking out, Paul is walking in with the camera person right behind him... my face said it all- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDctpxSlqv0&t=277s (timestamped)

At an North East Wrestling show in Waterbury, CT, it was during the time where Cody/Hangman/Bucks were showing up at random indies to promote AEW and Cody/Hangman were a surprise at this show. When Cody comes out, he just launches his jacket into the crowd which falls right into my hands. Wasn't sure what the next step was as Im holding Cody's jacket during his promo and after I tried getting in eye contact with him and holding the jacket but he just ventures off to the back. A couple minutes later a gopher pops out from behind the curtain and hes surveying the area and I get his attention and give him the jacket and he says thanks and walks back. A bit later he comes back out with a sealed AEW hoodie (the first black/gray style one) and says Cody appreciated me taking care of the jacket and wanted to give the hoodie to me. The thing is like 2 sizes too small for me lol.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I was at a Smackdown in Seattle around the time of short haired heel Daniel Bryan. I was up in the nosebleeds and was cheering so loud for my clam digger. There was a little kid in front of me who got so so mad and turn around and tell me that Randy orton was going to win.

Every time Bryan hit a move I’d cheer and hes glare. Every time Randy hit a move he’d cheer in my face. Finally Randy won and the kid gloated so hard and I just went “aw man oh heck”

It was cute

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I mentioned this in another thread but most recently I went to a GCW show, and it was my first time going to any wrestling at all in a long time for a lot of reasons. It turned out to be a really wonderful time that helped a lot, and even made me and one of my friends go closer, so that was nice. But the moment of the night was Matt Cardona coming out for his match against local favorite Cole Radrick and Cardona heeling it up hard. I think the promoters knew to play to our group because we were heckling and cheering all night so Cardona went right up to one of my friends and got in his face, and the two had such a lengthy and intense shouting match that security eventually had to walk out and tell Matt to stop telling my friend to gently caress off and get to the ring :allears:

My first indy show experience was when I had just moved back to America after getting super into wrestling overseas, around 2010. I had heard all about ROH and CHIKARA and watched a whole bunch of grainy gifs and camrips of Danielson matches, and even found a DVD for 3PW Raven's Rules (an extremely bad show, on that note) so I was so jazzed to see a local Indy. This is where the stars of the future were made!!!!

Anyway one of the guys I remember the most was "Midnight" Matt Ryan who I can only describe as looking like a Fat Orange Bret Hart, and he become a running gag between me and some friends online because he was so hilariously unimpressive. Later when I trained I would find that other local wrestlers also found him as funny because he was the definition of a local lifer with a chip on his shoulder. I also have a signed bandana from that show but I have absolutely no idea what wrestler tossed it to me. There was also a guy in a clown mask who entered to YMCA. Basically, it loving ruled. :3:

I have a few others - I once went to an NXT house show where Punishment Martinez debuted and me and my roommates decided to go absolutely apeshit for him because he was tall and had a funny name and we vaguely remembered him from All In, and someone posted on Reddit some results from the house show and wondered why Punishment Martinez was so over. And one time, before a Smackdown, Percy Watson came back to NXT season 4 and I lost my mind because I loved the dude and you can actually hear on the show a part where his entrance music ends and I yell "OH YEAH!!" and he responds "OH YEAH!!". That might have been his final Oh Yeah.

man percy watson deserved better

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The best show I've ever attended was the 2003 ECWA Super 8. Chris Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, Chris Sabin, Brian Kendrick, Paul London and the SAT were a lot to take in under one suburban parish hall's roof. Prince Nana and his muscle-of-the-moment Mega, Trinity, some respectable journeymen, a pre-commentary Matt Striker, local faves like Ace Darling and Cheetah Master and the immortal Mr. Ooh La La (seriously, I don't think he can be killed at this point), a rowdy crowd, and a championship match earned via battle royal victory by the power and the glory that was Japanese Pool Boy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Jake Something was wrestling a guy named Jake Dirden at my local indie. I started chanting "Lets go Jake!" Dirden looked at me and shook his head like I was the dumbest rear end in a top hat alive. By the end of the match the entire building was chanting "Lets go Jake" and both guys were actively trying not to laugh.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Otoh since i have a billion fun stories but

I was at the show where bob holly pranked al snow in the vertical suplex (i think its in mick foleys book)

I was front row, so yeah, got to see IT in all it's glory

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
I was at the Raw where they blew up Vince's limo as a closing act (days before the Benoit murders), but the real story was how OBLIVIOUS I was to what happened the Saturday night prior.

My Dad worked at the arena as overnight security. He came home Sunday morning and he's telling this ridiculous story about how when he got to work on Saturday night, he's greeted by a bunch of fire engines and they seemed to be dealing with a burned out limousine in the back//talent parking lot.

They did a pretape of the limo exploding behind our little rinky-dink arena in northeastern PA. It took until like, the precise moment they showed the limo on the show (we saw it on the tron) for me to go "holy poo poo, that thing is going to explode."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Was at an indy show with Brian Myers in a match, he gets chucked from the ring through a table. My very little niece proceeds to run all the way over to him, "You okay?" "Not gonna lie, that hurt"

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Inman Sports Club in Edison, NJ was a pretty cozy and intimate venue for Ring of Honor shows. They had some fun events there though I think I'd say it was probably more a home to rarely B - mostly C/D type shows. NutBunnies can back me up there.

It was fairly easy to park at - had a parking lot and street parking was easy. Someone here has a fun story of the Briscoe family cutting them off or something like that in that for a spot in the lot.

You walk in, and you're inside of this big lobby with a couch and a TV. Merch tables set up to the right of that. Go a bit futher straight and you get to some stairs down to this BIG OPEN HOCKEY RINK with some arcade machines on the outside. The ring just smack dab in the middle. I am pretty sure the showers and locker room were over by the actual Lobby though - so running into wrestlers during the show was super common. Also - there was really no security, or if it did have security - it was EXTREMELY LAX. You could pretty much go anywhere without being stopped.

The funniest interaction I personally had was after one of the shows. ROH BOILING POINT 2009. A pretty forgettable show that I don't remember too much about, outside of the Main Event and this story. Everyone is going out to the lobby, but NOBODY IS LEAVING. All the wrestlers are there, gathered around the TV. Fedor is about to start his fight with Brett Rogers! I end up nudging my way over and I'm basically sandwiched between Claudio Castagnoli and some other fan. Fedor gets the TKO in Round 2 and Claudio just throws his hands in the air and is like "OHHHH!!!!!!!

Looks to me, raises his hand and high fives me, and hollers:

Just like Big Show!!!"

And I thought that was funny.

Another funny story in that venue, wrestlehut poster STONE COLD 64 who I will refer to as "grody" from this point forward. He got into ROH a bit later in I think 07 or early 08? Either way, he was completely loving hooked and took advantage of some of ROH's DVD deals and I think had 2 giant plastic bags of like 20 DVDs. He was enjoying the hell out of himself, and we were talking in the lobby, then suddenly he goes "I'll be right back...!"

He disappears in a flash. I don't know where he went, but he left all of his DVDs just sitting there for anyone to grab. I held onto them though. 5 minutes go by. 10 minutes. Eventually I look around and I see him over by the Arcade machines, playing MVC2 with Erick Stevens, who is absolutely kicking his loving rear end. Kenny King ends up walking over and witnessing this, ready to also take Grody on. Kenny King sucks at video games though, and Grody just starts annihilating him. ROH Booker Adam Pearce walks over and stands next to me to witness this, and he looks more ashamed than he's ever looked in his life. When Kenny King loses, he gets mad and says to Grody: "You hustled me!!!!" - and Pearce just silently shakes his head and disappointingly walks away.

Anyway no more drama happened other than I gave Grody a mini heart attack by going "Ahhhh... what happened to your DVDs?" which I hid from him. While Davey Richards walked naked in nothing but a tiny towel by us. Ok that's all I can think of for now bye.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 15, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I miss that venue

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Grody also supplied TP for the last major toilet papering of Jimmy Rave in Ring of Honor there. He brought sacks of TP and handed them out and then some family decided to wrap the TP around their foreheads and we kinda looked at each other like "what is happening"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Wild venues can often be the most fun part of independent wrestling. I understand when people talk so reverently about the ECW Arena because the Rockstar Pro Arena, a WWII-era warehouse that my old local converted into both a punk show space and wrestling venue before the landlord refused to re-up their contract in 2019, was a genuine place of magic. I know it wasn't just for the workers, but for the fans, too. Something about that lovely little concrete bunker with the wrestlers doing spots off the columns and the big projection screen playing a loop of the logo felt like the most important place you could be on a Wednesday night.

Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees for CZW shows was the same. gently caress that was such a good venue.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's been so long since I actively went to shows that I can't remember most stories. I was squished by Morishima when Danielson whipped him into the barricade right in front of me at Glory By Honor VI Night 2. Brent Albright kicked the corner of a barricade at an Edison show (Transform maybe?) that came undone and nearly took my leg off. We stared at each other for a second and he kept going.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
My first indie show was Danielson's first booking after being fired for choking Justin Roberts with a tie and some enterprising fellow brought a bag of ties for us to throw at him instead of streamers. Super fun!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Back in April, ARMBAR A COP and I went to a C-tier indie show in Vancouver that had a weird confusing tournament with lots of Byes and <5 minute matches. A guy and his kid were sitting next to us, right on the edge of the entrance aisle. The kid was absolutely determined to get high-fives from all of the wrestlers when they entered, and he'd get so mad whenever a heel snubbed him. It got to the point where we'd cheer him on and tell him he'd get the next one, and he was ecstatic every time he'd get a high five from one of the faces.

Months later in September, we went down to Seattle for WrestleDream. We were standing in line outside and just happened to see the same kid with his dad, and they remembered us. The kid was wearing Darby makeup, and later after we got inside, we saw the ring crew allow him to cross the barrier and take a photo sitting on the ring apron before the show.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I saw a little girl who couldn't have been older than 7 or 8 finishing her Rebel Kel sign on the hood of her dad's beat up camry. She got in and blew right by the other wrestlers tables to get a picture with Kel where she got to hold the belt. Spent the entire Kel match screaming her head off and waving her sign, then Kel lost to a MitB style cash in and the girl proceeded to stomp around the back of the crowd yelling "NOOOOOOOOO". Her dad bought her ice cream because she was straight up inconsolable after the show lol. What a mark.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Last night I took my 8 yr old daughter to her second live indie wrestling show. She's turning into a mark completely unprompted and I think it's great. It's a fairly family friendly promotion (SCW) and when the current champ "Devil Dog" Dustan Moseley came out to do a gimmicky street fight match, she started screaming at him "YOU'RE NOT A DOG YOU'RE A PUPPY!".

Currently her favorite wrestlers are Orange Cassidy, Kris Statlander, & Shida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I was at the WOW tapings at the Belasco in downtown LA. There was one tag team who was billed as “from the mean streets of LA”. It was a small crowd but I got my entire section to yell, every time that came down, “go back to Los Angeles!”

The third time and after they came out, whenever they announcer said “from the mean streets of LA” people would yell “Sunset Boulevard!” Or “Fountain!”