Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got to see John Cena return at Royal Rumble 2008, it was exciting.

My favorite live wrestling story is whoever I was sitting with couldn't make an ROH Edison show so we invited Weekly Font to join us in the front row. He was really excited to see Larry Sweeney and tried to get a high five. Larry obliged, but faked Weekly Font out, and Weekly Font nearly tumbled over the barricade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
When I was about 12, my uncle dated a lady who worked in the box office at our local arena, so she'd put aside ringside tickets. At a Raw taping, Bret Hart was up against the guardrail about to be double-axehandled by a guy on the apron (The Mountie maybe?), so I told Bret to watch out behind him, and he did! After he hit the guy, I put out my hand and Bret high fived it so hard that it stung for like 2 hours.

I knew about kayfabe by then (though not by name), but I saw through the veil twice on that same show. The first was when Repo Man was in the ring and yelled out "I'm gonna kick his stinkin' teeth in!" and I realized he used to be Demolition Smash. That was the first time I really figured out that they repackaged gimmicks all the time.

The second was when Adam Bomb and Kwang had a match that ended in DQ when Kwang used the green mist. After the match, Harvey Whippleman had to push back a pissed off Adam up the ramp. Something must have happened to the footage, because they did the exact same match later with the exact same ending and aftermath with Harvey, only Adam still had green mist on his singlet that they obviously had hastily tried to dab out with a sponge.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i went to a smackdown taping and mark henry came out for a dark match...and his music was playing....and he was waiting...and we were waiting....and then tony chimel thanked everyone for coming out and the house lights came on and the show was over.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

stab posted:

Otoh since i have a billion fun stories but

I was at the show where bob holly pranked al snow in the vertical suplex (i think its in mick foleys book)

I was front row, so yeah, got to see IT in all it's glory

So dubbed "The Legend of the Penis Suplex"
It might have been in his second book.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I went to an indie show in Liverpool like 10 years ago. All your favourite UK guys before they were outed as sex criminals were there, as well as some of the most create a wrestler looking guys you've ever seen. aleister black booted some guys head off. A+ would go again

E: also my next door neighbour when I was a kid went to a house show in Manchester (99-2000?) and swore blind that he caught the Rocks elbow pad when he chucked it into the crowd for the people's elbow, but it was in his dad's room so he couldn't show us

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 16, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to some WWE house show in the early teens, I suppose, and got seats three or four rows back on the floor. Post-NXT Pre-Team Rocket Big E had a match with someone and I was trying to get "FIVE" chants going and he looks over at me and yells "They don't know what that means!"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was at the WWE Raw Christmas episode where Mick Foley played Santa Claus and got hit by a car. I know this is pretty famous as a bad episode of Raw, but it was like a loving fever dream to be there when they taped it.

This was a 3 hour long show, and it was taped a week before Christmas. And, here's the thing, none of us saw any of the backstage segments with Santa Claus recovering from the car accident. We saw Santa get hit by a car, disappear for 3 hours, and then just show up at the end of the show and help Cena.

So why was this fun? Because when Santa got hit this little kid in front of me SCREAMED "OH JESUS NO" and his Mom had to spend the next 10 minutes or so calming him down, convincing him Santa wasn't dead and that he was definitely going to pop up again any minute. By the middle of a David Otunga match (I told you this was a bad episode) this kid was getting real antsy and you could tell he did not care about the show at all. The penultimate match was a big 12 man tag clusterfuck and the kid was 100% disconnected. It'd been a long, boring, slog of a show and there was no sign of Santa. The main event happens, Santa Mick Foley pops up again to help Cena, but it was too little, too late. The mom's like "Look it's Santa!" and the kid very angrily said "OKAY!?".

My brother and I could not stop laughing at this and kept quoting it during that Christmas season. I hope that kid had a much better Christmas and was not forced to re-watch that episode on Christmas Eve.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

I remember your voicemail to someone posted on the thread the night it happened

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

SalTheBard posted:

I remember your voicemail to someone posted on the thread the night it happened

Scotsman I think.

Remembered another story... a local promotion, Blitzkrieg Pro, ran this really small moose lodge 2 or so times a year and would bring in some names for it as well. MJF was there once (AEW had just started I think so he was a name) but one show was headlined by Ethan Page vs VSK. VSK was part of a tag team where their gimmick were massage artists and had a Bullet Club based shirt "Pull-it Club" which I was wearing. During intros, my friend boo's Page and Ethan thought it was me... and this happened- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQkrfzJX_go&t=162s

Also, every time I went to an indy show with MJF, he would knock my hat off my head :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was at a local indie show (Flying V) and there was a tag match starting. For some reason I forget, the heel team goes and starts to fake kissing, so the crowd starts chanting "KISS HIM!!" and the guy in the ring relents and kisses his partner. He starts to walk back towards his appointment and we all start chanting "THAT'S A TAG!!" and the ref is like "hey yeah, that's a tag, you gotta get out!" so he acts angry, gets out of the ring

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
First match I ever went to was a Raw in April 1997 during the height of the "new" Hart Foundation & Stone Cold feud. Bret was healing from knee surgery & we got the infamous "who wants to see a wheelchair match?" from Austin near the top of the show. I was in the 8th row right by one of the aisles going to the barrier & the Harts hauled rear end by me like a foot away when Austin chased them with an axe handle. Austin actually bumped into me & almost knocked me on my rear end, it was the COOLEST thing I'd ever had happen before. Went to a couple In Your House PPVs & got to meet HBK after the title match he had with Diesel where he got powerbombed through the announce table. Crazy how cheap it was back then too, I think the Raw show was like $30/ticket & the PPV was like $45-50, crazy seeing the prices now even for regular TV shows.

Also got to hang out backstage for a bit with a few friends who had passes in the 2000s, got to see & talk with Austin, Debra, Brian Christopher, Taker & a couple others. Austin & Debra were super cool, wish I still had the bigass "Sheriff Austin" sign I made that he autographed for me but it got water damaged after a pipe burst in my old apartment :(

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 16, 2023

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ive been to two wrestling shows in my life, both with the same friend, who is a massive, massive wrestling fan. in high school, we lived in BFE, Iowa. he'd buy Japanese death match tapes on ebay, ECW show dubs, etc. He kept a spreadsheet of wins and losses, including house show results. pour over the PWI 500 for days.

anyway, he learned that some very low tier indy show was rolling through a local county fairground and he talked me into going. i got to get out of work early so i jumped in the car and took the ride with him.

now, this was a crowd of 50 people? 75 maybe? maybe less than 50? i dunno, but tiny crowd. we're up front because it's general admission and why wouldn't you be? this is my first ever show, and im pretty sure it was his. "a" doink the clown was there, and so was luna vachon (75% sure it was her, but there's a bit of my brain who thinks it was sensational sherry?). regardless, my friend was GEEKED. seeing wrestling in the flesh got that boy pumped the gently caress up.

so, the action in one match spills out of the ring. my friend gets out of his seat, which is a metal folding chair. he closes it up and holds it above his head to offer to one of the wrestlers. except the wrestler thought this kid was going to loving brain him with a steel chair. i saw genuine terror in his eyes. when he caught on, he took the chair and politely hit his competition on the back with it and handed the chair back so it could be used again as a seat. security came over and kicked my friend out. he talked his way out of the ejection and finished the show, thankfully. but ill never forget the saucers the eyes of that wrestler became when a 250 pound kid raised up a chair like he wanted to hit him with murderous intent.

second time was last year to AEW's New Years Smash. i went with the same wrestling-obsessed friend as the d-tier show we saw decades prior. great show, hot crowd, no complaints. a couple more folks were going to join us, but had to back out because of covid. my friend listed the pair of tickets on some resale site (decent enough seats we were visible on the hard cam) and a dad and his 10-ish year old were able to enjoy them. this is less fun, but dad kept getting up to go get beers. he was nice about it and kept offering to get us food and drinks for our trouble of getting up all the time, but by the end of dynamite dude was loving hammered. like, fall-down drunk. the section made sure to check he wasn't driving the kid home. never seen anything like it before - people genuinely concerned for this kid at a public event to the point where multiple people interjected to make sure this guy wasnt gonna drive when he could barely stand. dad called us all the f-slur and tried to start a fight. security got involved and hopefully the kid wasn't too disappointed with how the night ended :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remembered one of my favorite experiences.

I went to the ECW show at the Westchester County Center where Mike Awesome won the ECW title back from Tanaka in what for my money is the best ECW title match of all time. After the match they did an angle with Spike Dudley and the Spike Dudley girl plant with Awesome lariating her. She then spit teeth out like 10 feet in front of me, which to me at the time was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. I got on AIM right after to tell people and my friends in the know were like "yeah it's a work she spit out fake teeth."

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
a trainee at a show once asked if Danshoku dieno could kiss me when he was doing his entrance and I said yeah then when he did his entrance he put his thumb over my lips and I was so bummed out

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

This a live wrasslin story, only I'm the one who's was wrasslin.

I guess I wrote this up in 2010 but the match itself was in 1999. It was my very first match ever and we had an unexpected guest, The Necro Butcher

https://cautionlowflyingwords.blogspot.com/2021/01/how-i-met-necro-butcher.html?m=1

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Beer_Suitcase posted:

This a live wrasslin story, only I'm the one who's was wrasslin.

I guess I wrote this up in 2010 but the match itself was in 1999. It was my very first match ever and we had an unexpected guest, The Necro Butcher

https://cautionlowflyingwords.blogspot.com/2021/01/how-i-met-necro-butcher.html?m=1

loving hell! thanks for sharing and im gonna guess this used to happen to untrained kids a lot (not necro butcher or getting the full new jack experience a la mass transit, but some version of it). what a pants making GBS threads experience that had to be!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mania 29, first match ends and as Big Show goes up the ramp some dude throws a bag of popcorn at him. Security grab him immediately and throw him out of his undoubtedly super expensive seat. When we get home I stick it on to see this chump get his moment of glory, to find out they were playing a promo at the time and it never even made air. Eat poo poo, rich idiot.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRafTer posted:

My favorite live wrestling story is whoever I was sitting with couldn't make an ROH Edison show so we invited Weekly Font to join us in the front row. He was really excited to see Larry Sweeney and tried to get a high five. Larry obliged, but faked Weekly Font out, and Weekly Font nearly tumbled over the barricade.

I wound up so fuckin hard for that high five

rip sweet n sour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BOOTY-ADE posted:

First match I ever went to was a Raw in April 1997 during the height of the "new" Hart Foundation & Stone Cold feud. Bret was healing from knee surgery & we got the infamous "who wants to see a wheelchair match?" from Austin near the top of the show. I was in the 8th row right by one of the aisles going to the barrier & the Harts hauled rear end by me like a foot away when Austin chased them with an axe handle. Austin actually bumped into me & almost knocked me on my rear end, it was the COOLEST thing I'd ever had happen before. Went to a couple In Your House PPVs & got to meet HBK after the title match he had with Diesel where he got powerbombed through the announce table. Crazy how cheap it was back then too, I think the Raw show was like $30/ticket & the PPV was like $45-50, crazy seeing the prices now even for regular TV shows.

Also got to hang out backstage for a bit with a few friends who had passes in the 2000s, got to see & talk with Austin, Debra, Brian Christopher, Taker & a couple others. Austin & Debra were super cool, wish I still had the bigass "Sheriff Austin" sign I made that he autographed for me but it got water damaged after a pipe burst in my old apartment :(

Quoting this because I finally found a clip from the night I was there & it's just as hilarious now as it was then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPGYYw_p0M