Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

how not a single one of you has made Better Goodreads.

I loving hate Goodreads. The UX, the design, the communities it has fostered, all intolerable. Like half of you are computer guys. You could probably make money off books Letterboxd somehow, right??? If you do this you'll probably get into heaven. That's a pretty good reason. I gotta get lunch but can we think about this for like ten seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I don't even know what goodreads is but the list of "best in class by virtue of being only thing in class" enterprise-grade software I have to deal with every day, has the GDP of a midsize country

lookin at u Jira

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i only gently caress with chiseled stone bitch

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im a mechanical engineer op. sorry. want me to design a machine for u or somethjing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I just read books and then almost immediately forget them op

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The problem is that you need a lot of money to make and market a site like that even if it is poo poo.

I am curious what the problem with it is though? I pretty much only see it when I look up a book, it has some ratings which seem pretty random and reviews which possibly are useful, not sure since I don't read them. But if you use the site I'd like to know what your don't like about it

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My friend told me to get good reads to track my reading and follow hers. I get emails about the books she blasts through and I'm still on book 3 of the year that I haven't touched in months.

That's my good reads storey

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I replaced goodreads with a small paper card I keep in my wallet that says "yeah I read books"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Be the change you want to see

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im a mechanical engineer op. sorry. want me to design a machine for u or somethjing

yeah actually an automated bookshelf that sorts the books by how good they are would be sick

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Thank god we have the ideas guy aspect of this project covered. At least the hard part is out of the way and I suppose all we have to do now is just make the drat thing. Easy.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

I think the problem in this day and age is that a superior product doesn’t necessarily mean that it will succeed, unfortunately. The right marketing and a solid community on the other hand… Take a Macbook or an iPhone for example. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that they are superior products by any means, but the story Apple let’s people believe in on the other hand: :discourse:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I don't even know what goodreads is but the list of "best in class by virtue of being only thing in class" enterprise-grade software I have to deal with every day, has the GDP of a midsize country

lookin at u Jira

GOJIRA is the best -jira

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the tribometer and eddy current testing devices I use both run on windows nt and were both written in a 1-off programing language developed by a dead guy who never told anybody how it works. why do we still use it? I DO NOT KNOW

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Buce posted:

the tribometer and eddy current testing devices I use both run on windows nt and were both written in a 1-off programing language developed by a dead guy who never told anybody how it works. why do we still use it? I DO NOT KNOW

an alarming number of critical industrial machines use software that could be described in this way. it's all one big house of cards

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

since around 2018 every time anyone tries to code anything it just turns into an AI or metaverse thing, existing examples of functional software are now irreplaceable relics. I just tried to make a hello world program for old times sake and it compiled into a chatbot that keeps pushing me to click malformed links to Andrew Tate videos

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Private Cumshoe posted:

GOJIRA is the best -jira

Hell ya. I like the album with the whale on the cover

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm only a QA engineer, I can't make any apps

Private Cumshoe posted:

GOJIRA is the best -jira

:hmmyes:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
you loving do it

seems like a lot of loving work op, so learn to code then do it

we should start with compiling a well formed list of every book ever made, who loving knows how to start creating that??

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

have you considered becomeing a computer toucher yourself op and making a dece six figgies writing code for a book app startup that gets sold to google for 1.1 billion dollars? seems like easy money

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Thanks for bringing this concern to my attention! I sincerely apologize for the poo poo gently caress time you've had with Goodreads, but I could certainly help out here.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

have you considered becomeing a computer toucher yourself op and making a dece six figgies writing code for a book app startup that gets sold to google for 1.1 billion dollars? seems like easy money

OP is my slide deck presentation

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Just read books. People have been doing so for centuries, way before GoodReads was a thing. You'll manage.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sounds more like BADreads to me op!!

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

i only gently caress with chiseled stone bitch

you catch up with the latest on ea nasir? poo poo's crazy.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Oh la-di-dah, I'm so fancy, I need a website to keep track of all the books I've read. I don't tear out all the pages as I read and don't nail the cover to the wall after I finish the book like a normal person would.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
as a Computer Guy the only books I read are compilations of old Dilbert strips op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Who's the PM? We need to start getting a ton of recurring meetings scheduled.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A strong healthy computer person costs like $1 million per year and then add server costs and advertising and so on. Your book platform is not gonna make that much ad revenue in a year or even 10 years.

Nobody even reads anymore, op. GenZ has read like one single book ever, collectively

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

Who's the PM? We need to start getting a ton of recurring meetings scheduled.

There's 3 PMs and you are actively missing the meeting right now to figure out what the meetings are going forward

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
We like to touch computers but in a bad way

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
use storygraph op

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

On it

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

A strong healthy computer person costs like $1 million per year and then add server costs and advertising and so on. Your book platform is not gonna make that much ad revenue in a year or even 10 years.

Nobody even reads anymore, op. GenZ has read like one single book ever, collectively

What book is that. Tell me what it is

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this has been completed. marked as "successfully implemented", and closing this ticket op. thanks for bringing this to our attention :thanks:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
ask chatGPT to recommend book titles, amazon is already doing it for their rating system

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Doc Fission posted:

What book is that. Tell me what it is

it's a free Kindle Unlimited book about a world where people have MMO powers and need to literally level up to increase their skills

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

GOJIRA is the best -jira

That's literally where the name comes from

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=223219957

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Mastering the scrum as we speak op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU