Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
WON'T FIX. Closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hot take: OP hasn't read a book since high school.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only thing more blocked than my colon is this ticket

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
The better Goodreads is Open Library, hth

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

computer touchers make all their money by scamming people, OP. some do it more, some do it less, some of us live in our cars while we do it, but it’s all a giant scam nonetheless

best you’re gonna get is folk like that free software foot muncher. people so lost to computer touching that they forget what it’s all about and start scamming themselves

anything good is either an accident or a trap and it’s unhealthy to interact with computers without keeping that in mind at all times

you want some book recommendations from someone who hasn’t intentionally or unintentionally made your life actively worse? go chat with a librarian

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Konar posted:

There's 3 PMs and you are actively missing the meeting right now to figure out what the meetings are going forward

poo poo!

I can't make it, got this... thing, important thing with deadline.

Can you bring up in the meeting that we need a 4th PM to balance things out.
Corporate Feng Shui, you know.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
GoonReads

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

let's go

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the goodreads community is definitely one of the sloppiest dick sucking rate and review sites out there, what does harry potter have like a 4.5/5 avg? lol, at least you can actually gleam something from a letterboxd or rym rating average

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

That's not even the best book in the series

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

On the bright side, at least it's not Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on the list.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
As a professional computer guy I loving hate computers and most other computer guys more than anything on Earth

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

As a professional computer guy I loving hate computers and most other computer guys more than anything on Earth

thread is starting to feel like a lot of people pointing a gun at the computer right now. To that I say, DO NOT SHOOT MY POSTS

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Play posted:

The problem is that you need a lot of money to make and market a site like that even if it is poo poo.

I am curious what the problem with it is though? I pretty much only see it when I look up a book, it has some ratings which seem pretty random and reviews which possibly are useful, not sure since I don't read them. But if you use the site I'd like to know what your don't like about it

UI is terrible and dated and hasn't been updated since about 2008. It's supposed to be social media for books people but something about the way the website is attracts the most annoying clowns. Finding books is awful. Finding tolerable people who write decent reviews on the site is awful. It largely functions as a machine for terrible YA authors to give each other boosts and/or engage in public pettiness. There is no correlation between how any book is rated on that site and reality. Just thinking about it makes me mad

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

thread is starting to feel like a lot of people pointing a gun at the computer right now. To that I say, DO NOT SHOOT MY POSTS
When I say I hate computers, it's not about the hardware, which is usually pretty cool. I'm saying I hate computers as an idea, like basically the entire industry is full of poo poo and run by grifters who murdered the world dream of tomorrow

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doc Fission posted:

It's supposed to be social media for books people but something about the way the website is attracts the most annoying clowns. Finding books is awful. Finding tolerable people who write decent reviews on the site is awful. It largely functions as a machine for terrible YA authors to give each other boosts and/or engage in public pettiness. There is no correlation between how any book is rated on that site and reality.

None of the problems you're describing are technical problems solved by making an entire new site.

What makes you think those people you dislike wouldn't move there once the new community is established?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So first we'll need to start by compiling a list of all the books ever written. I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Epic of Gilgamesh - Unknown

Okay, now that I've got that started who wants to take this over from here?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Um, The Bible??

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
There are so many engineers on this forum that it is inexplicable to me. Not a single one of you has invented a ketchup bottle that won't fart. This is why we need more women in engineering.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Knormal posted:

So first we'll need to start by compiling a list of all the books ever written. I'll get the ball rolling:

Hi Knormal

Can you provide ETA for your book compiling?

We are blocked from delivering any work for this quarter until you find RCA and books is compiled

I will make a work session to get an update on the compile list on Friday afternoon

Please let us know as soon as possible.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Knormal posted:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just let user's submit the book details themselves then you can just fill out the database as you need it. It's the perfect solution with no drawbacks!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Listen, the internet as a whole is pretty terrible. Making a new Goodreads would be a waste of time.

This is a pretty good place to post inane nonsense though. Just post your book stuff here. Here I'll start:

Been reading "The Godfather". Boy, sure are a lot of giant dick plotlines in this book! They cut those out of the movie, probably a good idea. Still a good book though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

All You Can Eat posted:

There are so many engineers on this forum that it is inexplicable to me. Not a single one of you has invented a ketchup bottle that won't fart. This is why we need more women in engineering.

There should be a wide, flat plunger thing on the bottom of the bottle, kind like a reverse French press.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm just spitballing here, but what if we combine GoodReads with Neuralink, and just "beam" books into people's heads?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Oh its an Amazon books things.

lovely.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
There is very little venture capital available for people who want to make an existing product but better op, that's the long and short of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Doc Fission posted:

UI is terrible and dated and hasn't been updated since about 2008. It's supposed to be social media for books people but something about the way the website is attracts the most annoying clowns. Finding books is awful. Finding tolerable people who write decent reviews on the site is awful. It largely functions as a machine for terrible YA authors to give each other boosts and/or engage in public pettiness. There is no correlation between how any book is rated on that site and reality. Just thinking about it makes me mad

OP this is what the book forum here looks like

I think you might have to accept that the problem isn't the platform it's that this is what you get when you get a group of self-described "book people"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 13, 2023