Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

how not a single one of you has made Better Goodreads.

I loving hate Goodreads. The UX, the design, the communities it has fostered, all intolerable. Like half of you are computer guys. You could probably make money off books Letterboxd somehow, right??? If you do this you'll probably get into heaven. That's a pretty good reason. I gotta get lunch but can we think about this for like ten seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

have you considered becomeing a computer toucher yourself op and making a dece six figgies writing code for a book app startup that gets sold to google for 1.1 billion dollars? seems like easy money

OP is my slide deck presentation

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

A strong healthy computer person costs like $1 million per year and then add server costs and advertising and so on. Your book platform is not gonna make that much ad revenue in a year or even 10 years.

Nobody even reads anymore, op. GenZ has read like one single book ever, collectively

What book is that. Tell me what it is

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

As a professional computer guy I loving hate computers and most other computer guys more than anything on Earth

thread is starting to feel like a lot of people pointing a gun at the computer right now. To that I say, DO NOT SHOOT MY POSTS

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Play posted:

The problem is that you need a lot of money to make and market a site like that even if it is poo poo.

I am curious what the problem with it is though? I pretty much only see it when I look up a book, it has some ratings which seem pretty random and reviews which possibly are useful, not sure since I don't read them. But if you use the site I'd like to know what your don't like about it

UI is terrible and dated and hasn't been updated since about 2008. It's supposed to be social media for books people but something about the way the website is attracts the most annoying clowns. Finding books is awful. Finding tolerable people who write decent reviews on the site is awful. It largely functions as a machine for terrible YA authors to give each other boosts and/or engage in public pettiness. There is no correlation between how any book is rated on that site and reality. Just thinking about it makes me mad