Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Grittybeard posted:

He was bad, but I was sort of impressed that he wasn't bad bad. I mean that's not a fun defense to go against as a QB who just showed up a week or two ago I don't think.

This, of course, does not mean he will ever be actually good in any way, but it was nice for him to get a win.

Agreed. I think he showed enough against a great D that he's a better choice this year than DTR and that he should get a backup or third string job somewhere next year. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah there's not much defense of his actual play but I was just expecting a whole lot of turnovers and sacks instead of just a couple of each.

I mean my expectations were below the ground so they weren't hard to beat.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Walker was inches from throwing the game-sealing interception in the endzone right before they kicked the go-ahead FG, pretty much the only reason it wasn't intercepted is that the Niners' safety tipped it out of the Niners' linebacker's hands

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I mean he only had 2 real drives and it required a DB to slip and for Amari Cooper to ball out on both. Outside of that he was loving terrible and put together like maybe one other semi decent drive. I mean he straight up lost them the game but the 49ers kicker was garbage and the browns defense was playing out of their minds

Cooper's jumping catch did absolutely rule, if anyone missed it. 34 seconds if the timestamped link doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKu3XDdvBto&t=34s

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I was curious to compare to maligned QBs.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/mac-jones-zach-wilson.php

They are surprisingly similar.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would you rather have mac wilson or zach jones. you have to pick within 10 SECONDS OF SEEING THIS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cavauro posted:

would you rather have mac wilson or zach jones. you have to pick within 10 SECONDS OF SEEING THIS

*leaps into a crevasse*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cavauro posted:

Zach Jones is wario Mac Jones so I'll take that one

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Docjowles posted:

Cooper's jumping catch did absolutely rule, if anyone missed it. 34 seconds if the timestamped link doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKu3XDdvBto&t=34s

It was a gorgeous catch on Cooper’s part.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cavauro posted:

What XFL team do I run

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think yesterday's game made me really appreciate the Ravens' secondary depth.

Pretty sure that was the most the Ravens defense has played in base personnel all year. Stopping Henry was clearly still priority #1. In light of this Kyle Hamilton, who's been playing nickel corner because he's just too good to move from there, was back at safety until his ejection. At which point Geno Stone (a starting quality safety in his own right) came in and made an incredibly important interception.

At some point late in the game, Marcus Williams, who is already playing with one arm, tweaks his hammy and now the Ravens have to move CB Brandon Stephens to safety and put Rock Ya-Sin on the outside. Then the Titans move to more of a spread look to try to help Malik Willis out on the last drive, so the Ravens stick Arthur Maulet in at nickel corner. This was probably going to work enough to basically end the game until the Titans drew up a seriously devastating screen that almost went to the house.

So the Ravens are there trying to hold their water in the red zone, and Arthur Maulet gets flagged for DPI twice in a row which stops the clock twice. Fortunately the defensive line was overwhelming and Ya-Sin had a crucial pass break up.

Other observations:

- Ravens inside runs were terrible and they tried it a lot. LT Stanley, LG Simpson, RG Zeitler had pretty bad games run blocking. Always seemed like there was someone blowing a block that ruined the whole play. And the Titans were just very good at swarming the LOS.

- Marcus Williams made a pass defense early but can't be physical enough with one arm. He was in position to get in front of Henry on his TD run and basically just made a half-hearted swipe at the ball before getting washed out of the play.

- Madubuike was awesome, just an great day in general by the heavies up front. Kyle Van Noy (!) and Clowney have turned back the clock. Patrick Queen remains an vicious blitzer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It was a gorgeous catch on Cooper’s part.

Meanwhile Aiyuk had like 3 bad drops

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AndrewP posted:

Other observations:

- Ravens inside runs were terrible and they tried it a lot. LT Stanley, LG Simpson, RG Zeitler had pretty bad games run blocking. Always seemed like there was someone blowing a block that ruined the whole play. And the Titans were just very good at swarming the LOS.

I mean this is the main thing the Titans defense does well, their interior D-line is insane so I wouldn’t read much into it.

Papercut posted:

Meanwhile Aiyuk had like 3 bad drops

Yup. It’s been said elsewhere but in order for the Browns to win they needed to play insanely well on defense, have the weather help them, get some ref assistance in a few spots, injure star players on the 49ers, have the 49ers gently caress up multiple times including some catches and FGs, and even then it came down to the wire. That’s part of why the 49ers are so good. loving everything went against them outside of some very dumb Walker plays and they still basically had the game won if their kicker hits 2/3 FGs instead of just 1

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

AndrewP posted:

At some point late in the game, Marcus Williams, who is already playing with one arm, tweaks his hammy and now the Ravens have to move CB Brandon Stephens to safety and put Rock Ya-Sin on the outside.

I've seen a graphic today that there's like 10 or 15 players that have played 100% of defense snaps so far this season and Brandon Stephens is one of them

Pretty incredible that he's doing as well as he is considering all the time he's spending on the field and the fact that he was an RB in his freshman and sophomore years at college

E: https://twitter.com/tejfbanalytics/status/1713938117055389869?t=9Mj-boUg3UlZI2E2Bu-1Hw&s=19

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 16, 2023

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Cavauro posted:

Does Zach Jones still have the middle name McCorkle?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he gets kapono

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

Andey Daltön

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

I know they're noting that the cowboys didn't play yet but didn't the browns already have a bye week?

Yeah, they are first in lots of % and per attempt and per game stats too, particularly first down ones, but not by as much as that tweet would make it seem.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Herbert is just a more handsome Kirk Cousins

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Why are the Chargers?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Chargers are just loving terrible. Staley is a disphit.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Herbie was uncharacteristically inaccurate as hell tonight

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

For all of the exciting players on the roster the Chargers sure are boring as poo poo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
That might be the worst OL performance I've seen in a while. Herbert did a good job avoiding sacks until the last drive, but he was off all day too.

Everyone except Palmer and Keenan was bad. Awful showing.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Cowboys really wanted to lose that game and the Chargers. Would. Not. Let. Them.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://x.com/UrinatingTree/status/1714119930981818779?s=20

I never get tired of this pic

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
brandon failey

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
When do we get to be real about Herbie being just average? Homie can sling but he is incapable of being dependable.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don’t think Herbert gets a playoff win, with or without Staley, if the rest of this squad stays

Still though, fire Staley

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
How Things Started:

https://x.com/MattWi77iams/status/1714114543440306449?s=20

How Things Were Going:

https://x.com/BodogCA/status/1714117960917242252?s=20

How Things Are Going:

https://x.com/TedBuddy8/status/1714120321668972844?s=20

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zurreco posted:

When do we get to be real about Herbie being just average? Homie can sling but he is incapable of being dependable.

football is a team sport

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Borsche69 posted:

football is a team sport

Herbert was bad today.

The OL completely collapsed on that last drive and made any kind of sustained drive impossible.

Both things can be true

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

4th and chin

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Cowboys won so now I'm salty again.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Gonna pretend his injured finger was on his throwing hand, it’ll help me sleep better

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Protect this woman at all costs.

Also, how quickly could the Chiefs clinch the AFCW at this point? Seems like...pretty close to a forgone conclusion?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The woman beside her just looks like she's going "oh, that's nice that she's enjoying herself"

It's been a good couple of days for coach faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

TFF is afraid to admit it but Dak was good tonight