Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

I watch a broncos YouTuber (partially because the schadenfreude) and he’s frequently wondered aloud in this nightmare of a season why people would hate Peyton and it’s like…do you just not remember the whole, like, thing with Bountygate? Is it really that surprising to you that people hate him as a result of that? Just such strange like, willful ignorance of a guy’s personal failings cuz he wears your team’s visor.

Sean Payton (I feel like it's important to distinguish between Payton / Peyton / Paton in Denver) is a colossal rear end in a top hat. Which is fine when you are winning and extremely funny when you are not. Especially after you say poo poo like "Tua is worse than Bridgewater" and "Nate Hackett is the worst head coach of all time" (which is probably a fair take)... and then get loving owned by both guys. At least Belichick's bit (when he still had it) was always building up an opposing team in a monotone before destroying them. He never just outright said "Sam Darnold lol".

Also, yeah, bountygate was pretty hosed up.

I don't necessarily hate Payton but this season is flushing his reputation down the drain so fast it's creating a black hole

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lady Dracula posted:

what is embarrassing about it?

Is this a real question? Did the pic not load?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Is this a real question? Did the pic not load?

It's a real question. I see the pic.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lady Dracula posted:

It's a real question. I see the pic.

Well, sure then. ill help.

Common wisdom says the main story on a national sports page, when reporting a score, should be the teams playing. Not the people attending. I mean were well well well beyond showing Jack Nicholson at the Lakers game. its pandering.

And don’t get me wrong, I (edit genuinely) don’t think it’s anything personal against your girl. I actually think she’s crazy talented etc so I get her pop success but It’s been this way since the media tried to shove Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson down everyone’s throats. This time it’s just working really well and swifties eat it up.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fat Jesus posted:

Why the gently caress do the chiefs keep running garbage plays with direct snaps to Gray or Toney or whoever in some stupid nonsense that hardly ever works every 4th and short? Why would you not let the best QB ever take the loving snap and do whizzard bullshit?

Because he's never allowed to even pretend to run a QB sneak again, even if you are faking it into a throw or something. Which for the record I think is silly, but it's company policy apparently.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Payton having more wins with either Hill or Winston in his final Saints season then he manages this year with Russ would be a humorous and great outcome

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i was generally thinking that it was dumb for taylor swift to be the lead image for a national primetime game, but then i tried to think of something else to put there

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Because he's never allowed to even pretend to run a QB sneak again, even if you are faking it into a throw or something. Which for the record I think is silly, but it's company policy apparently.

Brady ran QB sneaks until the day he retired. And he was the best at them! Still healthy and still the GOAT
:patssay:

I think it's pretty dumb that Mahomes is outright forbidden to sneak but also until they start losing playoff games it's probably the extremely boring but right call. Like it's not exactly holding them back

stuker posted:

i was generally thinking that it was dumb for taylor swift to be the lead image for a national primetime game, but then i tried to think of something else to put there

How soon we forget the other power couple

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 13, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

Brady ran QB sneaks until the day he retired. And he was the best at them! Still healthy and still the GOAT
:patssay:

One kneecap ends up on the side of your leg and you get some sort of D&D character penalty that doesn't allow you to ever run that play again.

It's funny because I'm pretty sure he'd be really good at QB sneaks. Not the Hurts type where everyone knows, but getting up to the line quickly. Then like Brady realizing 'I can do this' or 'We check to something else.' Like, processing what the defense looks like before plays is generally not his problem.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 13, 2023

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Amy Pole Her posted:

Well, sure then. ill help.

Common wisdom says the main story on a national sports page, when reporting a score, should be the teams playing. Not the people attending. I mean were well well well beyond showing Jack Nicholson at the Lakers game. its pandering.

And don’t get me wrong, I (edit genuinely) don’t think it’s anything personal against your girl. I actually think she’s crazy talented etc so I get her pop success but It’s been this way since the media tried to shove Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson down everyone’s throats. This time it’s just working really well and swifties eat it up.

also 124 yards is too low to be labeled a “masterclass” game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Headline should've been "Masterass Game" with a picture of Sean Payton

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

syzpid posted:

Payton having more wins with either Hill or Winston in his final Saints season then he manages this year with Russ would be a humorous and great outcome

I still don't get what happened to payton from 2021 to 2023. 2021 was maybe one of the best coaching jobs he ever did as he seemed to will the saints to 9-8 despite the team being 3rd and 4th stringers at every position. Now he can't even get russ to feel comfortable throwing the ball.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Fat Jesus posted:

Why the gently caress do the chiefs keep running garbage plays with direct snaps to Gray or Toney or whoever in some stupid nonsense that hardly ever works every 4th and short? Why would you not let the best QB ever take the loving snap and do whizzard bullshit?

Also the run up the middle with CEH on 2nd and 15.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

really queer Christmas posted:

I still don't get what happened to payton from 2021 to 2023.

A whole lot of mojitos

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Fat Jesus posted:

Chiefs were so confident in their win they treated the game like practice where they tried dumb poo poo to see if it actually worked.

In a way it's amazingly disrespectful & shows how arrogant the Chiefs are. It's like Larry Bird deciding to spend one game only shooting left handed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Android Apocalypse posted:

Chiefs were so confident in their win they treated the game like practice where they tried dumb poo poo to see if it actually worked.

In a way it's amazingly disrespectful & shows how arrogant the Chiefs are. It's like Larry Bird deciding to spend one game only shooting left handed.

Sort of. Any 3rd or 4th and 1 requires a bunch of trickery, motion, TE taking the snap, etc. for years now the Chiefs offense has been unable to simply line up and gain 1-2 yards with a run or sneak. It never happens.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

stuker posted:

A clip of the Steve Smith tape

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fat Jesus posted:

Broncos are an unserious team that Andy can just empty the playbook/try out stuff without any danger of losing

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

really queer Christmas posted:

Now he can't even get russ to feel comfortable throwing the ball.

Can't, or won't?

Seriously, how much of it is just Payton and Russ being unable to get along? I can't imagine a QB less suited to Payton's personality than Russell Wilson, and that's not even factoring in how washed Russ is or isn't. Payton's enough of an rear end in a top hat that if he decided that he doesn't want to deal with Wilson that he'd just rather let him flounder out there.

This isn't to say that Russ is blameless for that game, but the playcalling and clock management were also factors, and that falls on Payton. If he's decided that going after Caleb Williams will be better than trying to salvage Russ, then he might be fine with eating poo poo for a season.

But Payton might also be washed too

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

Broncos are an unserious team that Andy can just empty the playbook/try out stuff without any danger of losing

And they get to do it again in two weeks.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

Can't, or won't?

Seriously, how much of it is just Payton and Russ being unable to get along? I can't imagine a QB less suited to Payton's personality than Russell Wilson, and that's not even factoring in how washed Russ is or isn't. Payton's enough of an rear end in a top hat that if he decided that he doesn't want to deal with Wilson that he'd just rather let him flounder out there.

This isn't to say that Russ is blameless for that game, but the playcalling and clock management were also factors, and that falls on Payton. If he's decided that going after Caleb Williams will be better than trying to salvage Russ, then he might be fine with eating poo poo for a season.

But Payton might also be washed too

The broncos traded a high pick for a coach and gave him a good contract. He’s staying. Russ… probably not, but I assume you have to find the right out in the contract. It’s just going to have to be a few lovely years to unfuck that roster because of Wilson’s contract and the complete lack of an offense.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’m curious if the Broncos reeeallly scouted Russ before pursuing him. Like did they actually do their due diligence? Or just assume hey he’s a franchise QB and he’ll be fine

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

A whole lot of mojitos

Sounds like he should have been playing fantasy coach in his basement for a year instead!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I wanted to see if it’s possible/likely if Payton ends up with a worse record than Hacketts “worst coaching job ever” season, with an ostensibly better and less injured roster.

Upcoming schedule is:

vs. Packers
vs. Chiefs
BYE AND TRADE DEADLINE
@ Bills
vs. Vikings
vs. Browns
@ Texans
@ Chargers
@ Lions
vs. Patriots
vs. Chargers
@ Raiders

So, the important thing right now is the two home games before the trade deadline. If the Broncos go to 3-5, which they absolutely and empirically will not, then this might convince the Broncos to stand pat at the trade deadline and they might end up pulling out wins against teams they otherwise would have lost to. But assuming the most likely scenario, that the Broncos lose at home to the Chiefs and the probable close home loss to the Packers (so realistic best case scenario, 2-6) and they start dealing all their good players we are looking at…what, maybe one win in that final stretch of nine games? That patriots game? Like…maybe the playoff picture super resolves itself in the AFC and therefore the second Chargers and Raiders games won’t matter, but even then if the Broncos squad is that lame after they trade all their good players away in hopes to land Caleb it might not even matter.

Like it’s looking pretty dire for Broncos country in their upcoming slate of games, and even their one win so far seemed fluky and largely due to the Bears choking it away over actual outplay by the Broncos. So it’ll be interesting to see just how bad it will get, especially if they start openly attempting to tank (which, if we are being honest, might end up backdoor keeping Payton’s job, especially if they end with something loving atrocious like 3-14 or 2-15).

Either way I would say odds are looking pretty good that this years Broncos end up with a worse record than the 5-12 Broncos last year. Like, pencilling in five wins in their remaining 11 games is pretty hard; most likely scenario is win hosting the Packers, win one of either Vikings or Browns, then win out their final three games of the season because the Chargers and Raiders have nothing to play for and don’t give a poo poo. But that seems really unlikely.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

AndrewP posted:

I’m curious if the Broncos reeeallly scouted Russ before pursuing him. Like did they actually do their due diligence? Or just assume hey he’s a franchise QB and he’ll be fine

They hired Aaron Rodgers best friend and failed to trade for him and went ah gently caress it we need a new QB

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1712808400801743281?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

NieR Occomata posted:

So I wanted to see if it’s possible/likely if Payton ends up with a worse record than Hacketts “worst coaching job ever” season, with an ostensibly better and less injured roster.

Upcoming schedule is:

vs. Packers
vs. Chiefs
BYE AND TRADE DEADLINE
@ Bills
vs. Vikings
vs. Browns
@ Texans
@ Chargers
@ Lions
vs. Patriots
vs. Chargers
@ Raiders

This Pats team isn’t winning in Denver, or anywhere

https://twitter.com/mikerenner_/status/1712150215182909890

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Packers finding a way to lose to this Broncos team would be exceptional. I wanna say I don't see it happening but they did just lose to the Raiders.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A lot can change in 7 whole days.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

Especially after you say poo poo like "Tua is worse than Bridgewater"

To be a little fair to Payton (who is an rear end in a top hat) he didn’t say exactly say this, he just said that Bridgewater is a good player and he expects him to end up starting games at some point. He was talking up a guy he’d coached and liked. Tua was coming off a couple of pretty brutal seasons with Flores destroying his confidence, it wasn’t at all a given that he’d bounce back.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He literally said he’d be benched for Bridgewater and it wouldn’t be related to injury. Bridgewater was noticeably worse than Tua in the same system

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AndrewP posted:

I assume they bought their own hype of 'all we need is a quarterback and we're a contender' and thought Wilson had to be an upgrade on what they had, and rightfully believed that there aren't a lot of opportunities to acquire a franchise quarterback, even one aging out of his prime. The problem wasn't the trade itself in a vacuum, it was handing him an extension before he played a down of football for them. They should have at least given themselves an out from a cap perspective in case it fell apart, and they just... didn't.

MJeff posted:

The Packers finding a way to lose to this Broncos team would be exceptional. I wanna say I don't see it happening but they did just lose to the Raiders.

The Raiders are bad but they aren't Broncos-level bad. I'm guessing they and the Packers both end up in that 5-7 wins range.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 13, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Amy Pole Her posted:

He literally said he’d be benched for Bridgewater and it wouldn’t be related to injury. Bridgewater was noticeably worse than Tua in the same system

I’ve never rated Bridgewater very high but it was basically just pumping up his guy and stating the obvious at the time which is that there was a big question mark over Tua based on the previous two years where he was benched and never really laid claim to the starter position (because Brian Flores is a clown.)

Even during the season when Tua went down I think the general opinion was that the Dolphins would be alright with Teddy, right up until he started playing and the offense looked way worse.

Like I said, Sean is an rear end in a top hat but to me
It read less like “Tua sucks” and more like “I like Teddy Bridgewater, I think he’s a great player, and Tua hasn’t established himself as QB1 so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Teddy get a chance.”

Edit: the ironic thing is that Tua seems like the perfect Sean Payton QB. He’s probably the closest guy in the league to Brees as far as being accurate and getting rid of the ball quickly.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 13, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

Don't let last night fool you, the Broncos may have the worst defense in NFL history. It's certainly the worst I've ever seen.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Simplex posted:

Don't let last night fool you, the Broncos may have the worst defense in NFL history. It's certainly the worst I've ever seen.

To be fair, it feels like I've seen worse Defenses under Sean Payton. Even after considering the 70 point game.

Ironically enough, I think Spags was the Defensive Coordinator for that Defense.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

Forgot this was posted in the GDT (which was also posted in the N/V thread) so posting it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

Steve

STEVE

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bellmaker posted:

They're doing it in honor of Gronk. After the bye they're gonna score .12 for Tom Brady.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Robert Mays to his credit touched on just how bad the Broncos' linebackers are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XF_7WkaE5A&t=1316s

The stat he found mid-game was that teams using play-action against the Broncos this season are 31/38 for 480 yards.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Russell Wilson and Drew Lock have the same number of starts (21) for the Broncos. A marginal increase in productivity at best with a worse record.
code:
	Rec	Cmp%	Yards	TD	INT	RushTD	Y/A	Rating
Wilson 	5-16	62%	4829	28	15	3	7.2	88.5
Lock	8-13	59.3%	4740	25	20	5	6.7	79.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Russell Wilson and Drew Lock have the same number of starts (21) for the Broncos. A marginal increase in productivity at best with a worse record.
code:
	Rec	Cmp%	Yards	TD	INT	RushTD	Y/A	Rating
Wilson 	5-16	62%	4829	28	15	3	7.2	88.5
Lock	8-13	59.3%	4740	25	20	5	6.7	79.3

now factor in the massive opportunity cost of Russ' contract and woof. worst contract in the history of the NFL?