Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AndrewP posted:

now factor in the massive opportunity cost of Russ' contract and woof. worst contract in the history of the NFL?

There might be someone in Cleveland with a worse one, but yeah, that's killing some careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Russell Wilson and Drew Lock have the same number of starts (21) for the Broncos. A marginal increase in productivity at best with a worse record.
code:
	Rec	Cmp%	Yards	TD	INT	RushTD	Y/A	Rating
Wilson 	5-16	62%	4829	28	15	3	7.2	88.5
Lock	8-13	59.3%	4740	25	20	5	6.7	79.3

Honestly it’s hard to believe Wilson has made it to 28 TDs already given how long he remained under the “number of bathrooms” line last year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

solarjetman posted:

Robert Mays to his credit touched on just how bad the Broncos' linebackers are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XF_7WkaE5A&t=1316s

The stat he found mid-game was that teams using play-action against the Broncos this season are 31/38 for 480 yards.

So out of curiosity

Broncos linebacker coaching staff:

inside - Greg Manusky, 21 years experience
outside - Michael Wilhoite, 5 years experience

Looking at their job history, Greg was on the Vikings last year as ILB coach which had a pretty miserable defense, was in college for a few years before that, then DC on the Colts - Football team from '12-'19.... and I see one decentish defensive year for each amidst 6 other bad-awful seasons.

Wilhoite was the Chargers LB coach the last two years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Is there ANY reasonable way the Broncos can get rid of Wilson after this year?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

you'd think after the fourth easy completion to Kelce on a hitch the linebackers would wise up, but nah.

it's like they were doing a drill where they had to let Kelce catch the pass first

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wilson's contract has an ugly, ugly out

2024 - $17m base salary, fully guaranteed, $22m guaranteed option bonus
If he's on the roster 5 days after the new league year, his $37m base salary in 2025 becomes guaranteed

So if they could find someone to trade for him, a team could get him by spreading out the option bonus:

2024 - $21m cap hit
2025 - $41m cap hit
2026 - $16m dead cap hit

Or you could trade for him, cut him immediately and pay him "only" $39m in dead cap in 2024.

But that still leaves the Broncos with like a $63m dead cap hit in 2024 AND whatever pick they had to give up to get a team to eat that poo poo sandwich above.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Well, sure then. ill help.

Common wisdom says the main story on a national sports page, when reporting a score, should be the teams playing. Not the people attending. I mean were well well well beyond showing Jack Nicholson at the Lakers game. its pandering.

And don’t get me wrong, I (edit genuinely) don’t think it’s anything personal against your girl. I actually think she’s crazy talented etc so I get her pop success but It’s been this way since the media tried to shove Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson down everyone’s throats. This time it’s just working really well and swifties eat it up.

i very often see shots of fans as the headline image, a random celeb celebrating, etc. i dont only see the two teams. so i don't really understand why this is embarrassing

im not really a taylor swift fan fwiw i just find this kneejerk reactions dumb

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you’re pretending that there’s no difference in the coverage of Swift and kelce versus previous celebrities attending football games… let’s agree to disagree.

Just out of curiosity - what was the last article you’ve seen that did something like this? Just pick one of your many examples

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Frankly we are seeing just as much Donna Kelce this season as Taylor Swift

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
tbf Taylor Swift murdering football would be a net positive in the world.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Lady Dracula posted:

i very often see shots of fans as the headline image, a random celeb celebrating, etc. i dont only see the two teams. so i don't really understand why this is embarrassing

maybe it's because you're just pretending not to understand?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Part of the reason I like Scorigami isn't so much when a new game gets a Scorigami, but through it finding out interesting stuff about football gone by.

19-8 happened twice: last night, and a game played exactly to the day, October 12th, 1927 between the New York (Football) Yankees and Buffalo Bisons. The Yankees share no lineage with the Giants who were also in the league by then.

Since record keeping was pretty sparse back then and only started getting consistently thorough and retained in the Super Bowl era, we're left with the game being played in Buffalo in front of presumably 3,500 fans and partial scoring info. Here's the box score:

(link)

The Yankees moved to 3-0 and the Bisons to 0-3.

The Yankees would finish 7-8-1 for the season, good for 6th in the league. They would fold after an unremarkable 4-8-1 1928 season. The lone tie in 1928 was a 0-0 game versus the Packers in Green Bay. No other stats are known to exist for that game.

The Bisons would go on to an 0-5 record before suspending operations until 1929, which would be their final season. In those 5 games, this was the only game where they scored points, having been outscored by a combined 123-8. Their final 2 games would be back-to-back losses to the Frankford Yellow Jackets by a combined 77-0. Both of those games were played on back-to-back days, and 3 games in 5 days counting the Yankees game. Things were just different back then.

The Bisons had a strange history, that included renaming the team in 1926 to the Buffalo Rangers, after the infamous Texas state law enforcement agency. They would hire players mostly from Texas and Oklahoma. Part of the reasoning was that it was believed if you bring in players from outside the area, they would be more inclined to focus on football with less outside distractions. They finished the year a middling 4-4-2. Their coach that put the team together, Jim Hendrick, would leave after this season for the New York Giants. Most of the players left as well, citing Buffalo just being too drat cold.

Jim Kendrick and the New York Giants would go on to win the 1927 NFL Championship.

edits: grammar, 0-0 tie mention

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 13, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s know it’s gotta be Ehuds avatar but whenever I close my eyes and think “celebrity at a football game” it’s Rob Lowe in that drat NFL hat

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s know it’s gotta be Ehuds avatar but whenever I close my eyes and think “celebrity at a football game” it’s Rob Lowe in that drat NFL hat

i would be satisfied with that image headlining every espn nfl article

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lady Dracula posted:

I think the thing is that's not a shot of fans celebrating as an image for an article about the game.

It's "Hey, guys, here's a video of TAYLOR SWIFT" in the section of highlight videos from the game - That video itself is mostly a highlight of that play, but the thumbnail and headline have to be about her because... Reasons? There's a few of them too, also an entire article just about her being at the game again?

I don't really have positive or negative opinions on Swift, Kelce, or Swift and Kelce, but the way it's getting covered during games and on ESPN is already making me want to grab a producer, director, editor, or executive and scream "JUST LET THEM gently caress IN PEACE! gently caress!"

Usually when there's a celebrity at the game, the coverage is "Oh, there's Rob Lowe. Lol nice hat, Rob. OK, back to the game." It feels like now it's "Beautiful gain by Kelce - almost as beautiful as Taylor Swift, eh? Eh? She's here, by the way. I know we mentioned it in the pregame, and at the start of the game and basically every time we mention Kelce, but she's here! to support HER MAN!" And that was just after watching one game.

Just let them gently caress in peace. gently caress.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I think part of the Kelce/Swift thing is that it all feels like such a contrived marketing campaign, given all the other Kelce stuff being pushed everywhere (the Kelce documentary, podcasts, commercials, etc). It's just a little too on the nose.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

shyduck posted:

Part of the reason I like Scorigami isn't so much when a new game gets a Scorigami, but finding out interesting stuff about football gone by.

19-8 happened twice: last night, and a game played exactly to the day, October 12th, 1927 between the New York (Football) Yankees and Buffalo Bison. The Yankees share no lineage with the Giants who were also in the league by then.

Since record keeping was pretty sparse back then and only started getting consistently thorough and retained in the Super Bowl era, we're left with the game being played in Buffalo in front of presumably 3,500 fans: Here's the box score:

(link)

The Yankees to move to 3-0 and the Bison to 0-3.

The Yankees would finish 7-8-1 for the season, good for 6th in the league. They would fold after an unremarkable 4-8-1 1928 season.

The Bison would go on to an 0-5 record before suspending operations until 1929, which would be their final season. In those 5 games, this was the only game where they scored points, having been outscored by a combined 123-8. Their final 2 games would be back-to-back losses to the Frankford Yellow Jackets by a combined 77-0. Both of those games were played on back-to-back days, and 3 games in 5 days counting the Yankees game. Things were just different back then.

The Bison had a strange history, that included renaming the team in 1926 to the Buffalo Rangers, after the infamous Texas state law enforcement agency. They would hire players mostly from Texas and Oklahoma. Part of the reasoning was that it was believed if you bring in players from outside the area, they would be more inclined to focus on football with less outside distractions. They finished the year a middling 4-4-2. Their coach that put the team together, Jim Hendrick, would leave after this season for the New York Giants. Most of the players left as well, citing it just being too drat cold.

Jim Kendrick and the New York Giants would go on to win the 1927 NFL Championship.

This rules, I love seeing that Red Grange had the first TD and then some guy with the name 'Wild Bill.'

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

So out of curiosity

Broncos linebacker coaching staff:

inside - Greg Manusky, 21 years experience
outside - Michael Wilhoite, 5 years experience

Looking at their job history, Greg was on the Vikings last year as ILB coach which had a pretty miserable defense, was in college for a few years before that, then DC on the Colts - Football team from '12-'19.... and I see one decentish defensive year for each amidst 6 other bad-awful seasons.

Wilhoite was the Chargers LB coach the last two years.

It's also a talent issue. Jewell and Singleton are not big, not fast, and both in their late 20s so they are at their ceilings - and they're not on their rookie deals either, they were extended at around 4-5M a year. I know most teams don't invest serious resources into inside linebackers but those guys were a weakness last year and Paton decided to just roll with them again. The edge rushers are at least young.

Singleton at least tries to fly around here and there as best he can, even though he's hopelessly overmatched against good tight ends. Jewell is passive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We lost Wild Bill Kelly too soon.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mega64 posted:

We lost Wild Bill Kelly too soon.
You weren't kidding

Wild Bill's Wikipedia posted:

Kelly collapsed suddenly and died while watching a football game in New York at the age of 26.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Simplex posted:

Don't let last night fool you, the Broncos may have the worst defense in NFL history. It's certainly the worst I've ever seen.

I'm not sure Mac Jones Billy Zappe Malik Cunningham can lead the Patriots past any team at this point.

Patriots schedule:
@ Raiders
Bills
@ Dolphins
BYE (will still lose somehow)
Commanders
Colts
Giants
Chargers
@ Steelers
Chiefs
@ Broncos
@ Bills
Jets

They may be able to eke out wins against Commanders, Colts, Giants, and Steelers. Chargers is toss up, and the rest are definitely losses. Yes, I don't trust the Patriots to beat the Jets. :colbert:

Years of being a lovely GM finally caught up to Billy Five Aces.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mega64 posted:

tbf Taylor Swift murdering football would be a net positive in the world.

I'd die laughing if Taylor Swift brought in a new 'You Need to Calm Down' world order.

This would also probably be a net positive for the world.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Harlock posted:

Broncos are an unserious team that Andy can just empty the playbook/try out stuff without any danger of losing

Going back a bit I don't think it was truly this because that game was a possible loss for way too long and they wanted those plays to work. But I think there's some benefit to just get weird poo poo on tape that other teams have to prepare for.

Kind of a: We are never running this bullshit again, but if you see this look before the snap you have to be ready just in case we do.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

AndrewP posted:

now factor in the massive opportunity cost of Russ' contract and woof. worst contract in the history of the NFL?

How has tight end production been for Denver? Because Noah Fant has been a pretty decent TE for Geno Smith (and technically Drew Lock lol) since we got him in the trade.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Amy Pole Her posted:

If you’re pretending that there’s no difference in the coverage of Swift and kelce versus previous celebrities attending football games… let’s agree to disagree.

Just out of curiosity - what was the last article you’ve seen that did something like this? Just pick one of your many examples

sure. here's from a few weeks ago in the leadup to Colorado-USC
https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/usc-football-star-studded-guest-list-revealed-for-the-trojans-big-weekend-matchup-jf1989
'

epic bacon posted:

maybe it's because you're just pretending not to understand?

yeah you're right, i'm irritated at the backlash that football media coverage catering to part of the female demographic for all of five seconds has dudes all melting down, it's gross

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think the thing is that's not a shot of fans celebrating as an image for an article about the game.

It's "Hey, guys, here's a video of TAYLOR SWIFT" in the section of highlight videos from the game - That video itself is mostly a highlight of that play, but the thumbnail and headline have to be about her because... Reasons? There's a few of them too, also an entire article just about her being at the game again?

I don't really have positive or negative opinions on Swift, Kelce, or Swift and Kelce, but the way it's getting covered during games and on ESPN is already making me want to grab a producer, director, editor, or executive and scream "JUST LET THEM gently caress IN PEACE! gently caress!"

Usually when there's a celebrity at the game, the coverage is "Oh, there's Rob Lowe. Lol nice hat, Rob. OK, back to the game." It feels like now it's "Beautiful gain by Kelce - almost as beautiful as Taylor Swift, eh? Eh? She's here, by the way. I know we mentioned it in the pregame, and at the start of the game and basically every time we mention Kelce, but she's here! to support HER MAN!" And that was just after watching one game.

Just let them gently caress in peace. gently caress.

ya it can be a lil overbearing rn. i would also like them to be able to gently caress in peace. but kelce is building a brand and taylor is especially popping off, so it can't be helped rn.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Simplex posted:

Don't let last night fool you, the Broncos may have the worst defense in NFL history. It's certainly the worst I've ever seen.

If the last time you saw the Patriots was the SNF against Miami the wheels have completely fallen off the wagon. Mac Jones is rapidly approaching David Carr levels of shook

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Lady Dracula posted:

ya it can be a lil overbearing rn. i would also like them to be able to gently caress in peace. but kelce is building a brand and taylor is especially popping off, so it can't be helped rn.

i think it can tbqh

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ok. let's see :)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I know the NFL is desperate to get Gen Z more interested in football and they see Swift as an ideal conduit, but its at cringe levels and they're at a real risk of overdoing it, even for the fans they're trying to bring in

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I mean, if you have the option to show either Taylor Swift or the 2023 Denver Broncos, the choice is pretty obvious.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Now is the perfect time to introduce yanks to Rugby Union

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I watched Justin Fields go 16-17 for 231 and 3 TDs in a half. The incompletion was a hail mary.

Mike White hooked up with Robbie Chosen to beat Pat Surtain for 70 yards.

They have the worst pass defense in the league, the second worst rush defense, and they take way more defensive penalties than anybody. The Broncos are a get well game for any offense they play. Next week will be hearing about how Jordan Love is passed to break out after he completes 70% of his passes for 300 and 3 TDs.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Mega64 posted:

I mean, if you have the option to show either Taylor Swift or the 2023 Denver Broncos, the choice is pretty obvious.

i had a wonderful time watching the 2023 Denver Broncos play the 2023 Miami Dolphins

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Mega64 posted:

You’re right, the 2022 and 2023 Broncos are a scintillating use of hubris as the source of tragedy (for Wilson and Payton) and comedy (the audience) and should not be underrated as performance art.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

shyduck posted:

You weren't kidding

Vaxxed?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mega64 posted:

She's been featured when the camera could otherwise be on the : Chicago Bears, NY Jets, or Broncos. Of course they don't want to show those teams

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

trevorreznik posted:

She's been featured when the camera could otherwise be on the : Chicago Bears, NY Jets, or Broncos. Of course they don't want to show those teams

Yeah, I was done watching the Bears when they started showing her anyway.

I could’ve done without Greg Olsen referring to her as “taytay” though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Braves got knocked out of the playoffs, how about that for a front page story?

Lady Dracula posted:

yeah you're right, i'm irritated at the backlash that football media coverage catering to part of the female demographic for all of five seconds has dudes all melting down, it's gross

the WNBA finals are literally going on right now, I think that would be a wonderful use of ESPN's main megaphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

They were putting 1G macrobots in the smallpox vaccine :tinfoil: