Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

You know this whole project started because I wanted to show Grace Yakuza 0 before we played Final Fantasy X-2

As usual, no spoilers since this game is brand new to both Grace and I

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 1 - Going To The Fukuoka Municipal Zoo And Botanical Garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
this is the best yakuza game

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Kiryu, why in the world of gently caress are you a cab driver in Fukuoka now despite the previous game ending with you going back to the Tojo? What happened 6 months ago. Also, why the double gently caress is Haruka an idol now?

Also, Gion is the name of a famous shrine and festival in Kyoto. A monogram is kind of a logo made by combining letters, usually initials. In this case the monogrammed bag is a legally distinct Louis Vuitton bag, which has LV monograms all over it, and is indeed hideously expensive for Reasons.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Of course Kiryu knows how to drive a car. Remember when he took Nishiki's car and left him in the woods?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Kiryu is driving a taxi and Crazy Taxi is a Sega property.

I'm just saying.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Danaru posted:

before we played Final Fantasy X-2

One day!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 2 - A Baller Move

I mean it's nice to have a boss that we don't immediately suspect we'll have to kill later for once

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 3 - Probability

I have so many questions

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
I like how you equipped both the encounter rate boosting items last episode and then immediately the next recording session were wondering why the encounter rate was so high. You were really close to hovering over the item descriptions for one of those items at the end of the video too.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
gently caress me this lp is off to the races. i gotta buckle in, always was curious about 5 but never got around to playing it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Why is Grace saying you guys will never go to Japan? You should! It's a fun place, very friendly, surprisingly cheap. (especially these days due to currency markets, but honestly it's never been super pricey) Live the dream of being disappointed that Don Quixote is sort of a Walmart but visually busier!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'll never go to Japan because I'd rather not project the image of an idiot tourist who can't speak or understand the language one bit.

Also, I have the bigger issue of no money.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah it's mostly the money thing :negative: Less "we'll never go" and more "we'll never get to go"

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 4 - We Will Not Be Well Loved

Everyone gets nervous when I can drive in a video game, couldn't tell you why

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Now I'm sad we'll never get a Saboteur II. Imagine what that'd be like on something like the Dragon Engine? Going furniture tornado on nazis with the nun you just ran over?

I feel we haven't fully grasped the Young Dashing Lad being Old Man Komaki's son yet. He's like early 20s, so that would mean someone saw Komaki in the late 80s and thought "I can't not let this man Tiger Drop my pussy".

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 17, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

When I used to play GTA 4's online mode I was banned from being the driver in game modes as I'd never brake and drive at full speed all the time, so the car would roll over a lot.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
funny enough, mizutaki basically means cooking in water. which is what it is, it's just hot pot with a very light broth. generally you'll get some dipping sauce to go with so it's not so plain.

as for collagen chicken, you're on your own.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 5 - Cider Terrorism

Despite the name, it's not actually my fault

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Above all else, Kiryu is the fourth chairman of the Tojo Clan, he can't just melt into society and become a regular Joe, people are always gonna come looking and anyone around you will be pulled in.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 6 - Deja Vu

Turns out the taxi missions are a lot easier when you remember what side of the road Japanese people drive on!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just remember that Y0 is the sister game to 5 so a lot of things will feel familiar.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 7 - I Recognize That Truck

I'm sure it's just a reused asset but I'm having Majima Everywhere flashbacks

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The race missions is just life-size Pocket Racing and it wouldn't be the weirdest thing for the writers to have Majima show up with pink truck-chan at some point.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 8 - Something Offall

I'd dead rear end rather put a gun in my mouth than hang out with my coworkers after hours

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I think the castle in the middle of town you were asking about is a bath house. That big ゆ banner is for hot water, which typically on a building means baths/onsen.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The lapel pin was a Tojo one yes. A stylized rendition of the second character of the name I think.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 9 - Sorry Kaoru

:whitewater: Whoops!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 10 - I Have A Gun Too

You know this gun might not be the instafix I want it to be

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Now you see why everyone hates Daigo, he's a weak as poo poo leader who surrounds himself with people, Majima aside, who think he's a useless failson.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Maybe Daigo was right back in Y2 about not wanting a leadership position and barely wanting poo poo to do with the Tojo in general.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We kinda strongarmed Daigo into the position

Then strongarmed Majima into helping Daigo

...hm

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kiryu being Kiryu, smartest option would be to just get Daigo out of clan business, let Majima be himself, and forget everything else. Majima can take care of himself, Daigo probably isn't gonna have anybody making trouble with him after he leaves the picture entirely, and the clan can figure its own poo poo out or go down the tubes. The parade of crises never ends with the Tojo and one thing Kiryu isn't really good at is figuring out how to keep the stupid thing going after they're resolved without just ending up roped right into the next one when either the bandaid fails or it turns out to be the spur of the next crisis. But.. Kiryu being Kiryu, he couldn't ever do that since while he doesn't want to be a yakuza forever, the Tojo has been his home too long for him to be able to just let it tear itself apart and steadfastly turn away anybody new who showed up on his doorstep trying to get him reinvolved...

Second smartest option for him would be to actually stick around the Tojo after a crisis is dealt with and train up a lot of people in his mindset, maybe bolster Daigo and actually help him convince people he's not just a failson. It'd be the smartest if not for prior games proving that Kiryu is bad at picking good horses to bet on; it'd probably just result in a new plot where a third of the people he trains are secretly power-hungry assholes or deluded, a third of the people he trains are undercover cops/Omi/etc., and the last third who are legit on Kiryu's wavelength get murdered by the other two thirds.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Perhaps I'm wrong, but from the ending of Yakuza 4 I really got the impression that *this time* Kiryu was going to stick with the Tojo for once. Either I was wrong about that, or Something happened.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I kinda respect the series for observing how ridiculous their own series of plots is, and how utterly fragile an organization the Tojo are to rely over and over again on on specific guy, who spends most of his time trying not to be involved at all, pulling their asses out of the fire. Watase is totally right that it's just Kiryu, Kiryu, Kiryu! Which on one hand is just the nature of a recurring protagonist, but yeah, if you've ever been in an organization where one person constantly fixes all the problems, and then that person retires for real... it's not a recipe for longevity.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Tojo Clan falling apart for real would likely have the undesirable effects of inter-family fighting over the scraps before someone like the Omi comes in and takes power. And the Omi are easily just as prone as the worst of the Tojo at getting up to some awful poo poo, if not more so. But an actually effective solution is beyond even Kiryu's reach, if it's attainable at all.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The truth of the matter is that organized crime involves all sorts of nasty poo poo, from drugs, to prostitution, to human trafficking, to extortion, and more. A system that by its very nature draws in all sorts of assholes who don't mind the misery they inflict on others, or even revel in it. By that measure the ideal boss isn't someone like Kiryu, who's a decent, if not too bright person, or Daigo, who so far has had barely any characterization beyond being a reluctant failson, but someone like Shimano, the kind of ruthless monster that nobody dares betray.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Shimano and Kazuma both dying more or less kneecapped the Tojo from that point onwards, Shimano was a ruthless bastard but he could actually command respect from his followers and Kazuma was constantly playing 4D chess.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Just Winging It posted:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but from the ending of Yakuza 4 I really got the impression that *this time* Kiryu was going to stick with the Tojo for once. Either I was wrong about that, or Something happened.

no that totally seemed to be the setup and then they just decided "lol no" it feels like???

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Wild. I'll guess we'll see if the writers actually address it or if it's indeed just "lol no".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 11 - Where Did We Park?

I love this loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

hell yeah, Chekhov's Daruma comes through