Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You could also call it Shussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So, bad news: You may have forgotten to edit certain parts that were never to be heard on the internet out of the episode.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh god dammit, I'll sort it out in the morning

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
No, I mean the entire latter half of the episode :)

(You kept saying you needed to edit that bit out)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I like to think of them as bonus content for early viewers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh whew I thought you meant I accidentally left in a phone call or something :v:

It wouldn't be the first time :cripes:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's what happens when you don't bring an offering to the mountain sorcerer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 33 - Tiny Little Beef
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 34 - Santa Hunters

I can't believe I never realized how rib crushingly funny it is to fight people in a Santa costume despite how many games take place near christmas

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Actual loving lunatics claim shoving bleach up someone's rear end cures a variety of ailments, autism foremost, but during the pandemic they pivoted to claimed it cured Covid too. There's your hosed-up factoid of the day for you.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Now granted, I have never bleached my rear end, so I don't fully know what I'm talking about, but I think I'll just stay autistic, thank you very much.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Imaging seeing a man fighting a bear while out shopping, you'd cross the street at least

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 35 - There She Is!
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 36 - Is That A Clown

This isn't... much of a plan

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 37 - 15 Minute Cities
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 38 - Shut Up Adam Jensen

I doubled up episodes to get through the backlog faster, then started forgetting to release episodes :cripes: I'm dumb as hell

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

In my defense I forgot about your karaoke performance, I was thinking about corgis.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Jesus, you started this thread less than a month ago. How are there already 38 videos?
I probably wont be catching up with this.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The story doesn’t really make a ton of sense, as far as I can tell. Just jump in and start like three posts ago so you can see Dan beat up people dressed as Santa.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 39 - Get Him With The Contraption

Only one today since it feels thematically appropriate

cant cook creole bream posted:

Jesus, you started this thread less than a month ago. How are there already 38 videos?
I probably wont be catching up with this.

We legit have like 20 more episodes in the backlog right now, I keep planning to go back and do some post game for the others but we wind up back at Yakuza 5 because god dammit this game is so good

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2023

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's the best yakuza game

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
It's either this one or 0.

Maybe Dan and Grace already know about it but if not I can't wait to see their reaction to a specific thing that happens later.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Keep it under your hat for now, there's been what feels like a dozen "specific things" between this episode and the last time we played, so don't spoil it :v: This game is dense

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I hope it's Kyon-bo being back at the claw machines.

Edit: Not that all the little side-lines are bad, but overarching story wise it's still pretty bare bones. All we learned is that someone in the Tojo is behind Majima's "death" and was loving with Saejima. I do hope that at some point there'll be an "ooooh that's what's happening"-revelation, but I'm guessing that's not going to be until the finale.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 14, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I guess Baba isn't you after all.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Well, not until they find the block pushing sub story that ejects Kiryu’s soul into a rabbit.

Dog?

What the gently caress was Baba meant to be?

PS: Dan, play Baba Is You for like two episodes

e: vvvv :aaaaa: how did I never get that?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 14, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

What the gently caress was Baba meant to be?

A sheep, thus Baba.

Baa baa.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Baba is ewe.
I'm pretty sure that's the pun.

Dan play Baba Is You and make Hempuli post in the thread.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Baba is You is a lot of fun, but made me feel very stupid and also is one of the games I was playing around the time I got that kidney stone. I uh, haven't played that or hypnospace outlaw since.

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 40 - That Was Worth It
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 41 - Pretty Funky

We have twenty one episodes in the backlog past these two, which is probably good because there's no way we aren't launching the Mario RPG remake LP on friday

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh boy, the idol industry, a business that gives the yakuza a run for its money as to which is more exploitative and hosed up. Shame Haruka can't Tiger Drop the boss lady. Also, to the surprise of no-one, the woman in the garish outfit is an okama. How disappointingly 2012 of the game. Hopefully it won't just be for some cheap "man-in-dress" yucks, but I'm not holding my breath.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thankfully no, Yoko kinda becomes Haruka's Komaki and is pretty much the only person in Sotenbori that I respect

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh thank gently caress, I trust in your impeccable judgment, that's what I love to see.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 15, 2023

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yeah yoko's cool

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Regarding Yoko’s beehive, it can be hard to do your own hair, so never pick the stylist with the best hair! She got it done by someone else, so it only proves she’s not the best.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 42 - Death Is Final And There's Nothing After It
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 43 - She Ascended

Whoops meant to have this up earlier, it's been a weird day

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh man, Haruka sounds really out of tune when she sings in these videos.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The lyrics are promising, but sticking to a proper meter would really help. Hanging out under a bridge with a cool trans person sounds like a blast. Much more fun than "red panda goes to jail for blabbing about confidential information during a jury trial".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 44 - Can You Hungry?
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 44 - I Can Still gently caress It Up

I honestly didn't realize how much hud is on this until I looked at the footage afterwards, I tune out pretty much everything but the button prompts

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Park definitely comes across as super shady and abusive to me, but I'm also confused if she's intended to come across like this. I mean, she isolated Haruka from everybody she loves, is threatening to close down the orphanage if Haruka fails, yells, is violent and apparently has access to all the money. It feels like she's connected to the overarching conspiracy plot, but for the life of me I can't figure out how making Haruka an idol is supposed to help that.

But then we have her tragic backstory and all the projecting she does on Haruka and I think this is meant to come across as sympathetic instead of really creepy? I really hope she'll turn out a villain and Haruka can defeat her in a dance battle or something, but I'm worried she's intended to be sympathetic.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

This won't be surprising but yes, Park is very contraversial in the fanbase as is Haruka's entire shift to pop idol princess, I'm not too fond of how the orphanige and kids are reduced to plot devices to dangle around for sympathy points rather than the kids allowed to be their own characters.

Haruka escapes this as she's been there since Yakuza 1 and is more or less a gender swapped Kiryu, the others? not so much.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
As if the idol business itself wasn't hosed up already, the whole Park thing is throwing up more red flags than a Chinese parade. Also, time-wise we're kinda weird. Haruka's part started a year and half before the present, and then advanced six months. So we're currently a year before the events in Kiryu & Saejima's stories. I guess that's why her section started with the "Part 3, Part 1" stuff.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

A couple updates back, but Canada gives out SINs? They’re playing right into the shadowrun future, the fools!

Also god I really hope that some day Haruka gets a regular chapter in a game where she just beats the poo poo out of losers like dad and uncle Majima

Which by the way my phone wanted to correct to “uncle manimal”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
What bothers me is that we're not told, and at least for me it's not obvious at all, what Haruka wants and how she feels about this situation. With Kiryu, even in this game, it's obvious from the beginning that he's not happy, but thinks he's doing this to help out his children. Haruka? Is it her dream to be an idol? Is she doing this to help her family? Does she like Park? Does she hate her for making Kiryu leave? We don't know because Haruka keeps showing the same professional and cheerful mask to everybody, even when she's alone.

This is not a new thing, Haruka has never been portrayed as a person showing her emotions openly, but in the previous games at least something was visible. She wanted to find her mother in Yakuza 1 and felt about that strong enough that she ran away from the orphanage. Then in 2 she wasn't around much except for the kidnapping and the helicopter, but she was clearly worried for Kiryu. In 3 she's running the orphanage and might have been happy with that? We don't really know, she's not telling.

Yakuza 4 had two of the very few moments where Haruka shows emotions, where she feels something strong enough to break through that cheerful front she always puts up. When she's faced with the man who stabbed her adoptive father, and when Kiryu first wants to leave for Kamurocho. Those were some good character moments, and they made it clear where her priorities lie: a peaceful life with Kiryu. So by all means, this current situation should be something she hates. And maybe that's why she's not letting her mask slip for even a single moment.

In keeping with the theme of people projecting their own issues onto Haruka, I strongly mask to the point where my entire emotional response can be delayed. It's not comfortable, but it's safe.