Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
On Shinada eventually doing something cool because Yakuza fans like him: They also liked Mine, who was a boring wiener, so I wouldn't hold out much hope there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i mean shinada's my favorite character in the series but if you aren't already sold on him you aren't gonna be sold on him

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's like, you know, sure, his part has nothing to do with anything except in pretty tenuous ways aside from it being daigo's new strange obsession but that's great. i love it. the best parts of yakuza games tend to be the parts that have nothing to do with anything, you know? sometimes it can get bogged down in continuity or stuff that matters to the wider parts of the series, I Guess, but that aren't as fun or chill. you think i give a poo poo about anything that happens in saejima's part? no. who cares about baba. i don't give a poo poo about baba. but you bet your rear end the hunting sidequest is something i cared about. and shinada's part is like one long sidestory where you've got the best random battle theme in the series blaring as you do scrimply little things with a scrinkly little man with the consistency of a newspaper. it's the funny little story of a funny little man who sucks. he's just some dude and he kinda sucks and he's gotta pay rent and there are scary men after him and it matters to him god drat it. shinada and his story are yakuza at their best doing the thing that they're best at. he is samantha and baseball is his pizza or something

anyway it's fair to not be into him he has nothing to do with anything and some cool rear end poo poo happens in the finale of 5 even if some of it makes no sense. i think daigo should settle down with shinada because all this big crime business isn't daigo's forte and if he keeps attracting men like mine he might as well go with it and shinada could use the money to buy one (1) beer

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
yeah i mean one of the best things about the new continuity is that it's just a guy doin his own stuff. they could tell a new story which stuff like this shows they absolutely have been wanting to do for a long time. have the classic guys be cameos! but it took a leap of faith to do and the series is better for it.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If there's a criticism I can get fully behind is that they didn't commit as hard as they should to the new characters in 4 & 5, and relegate Kiryu to maybe a cameo/superboss appearance. Especially 4, where they really have to strain themselves to tie it all into the events of previous games really suffers for it. I also don't think it's a coincidence that 0 is the strongest one of this particular era, by setting it far before 1 they were free to create something new, and while Kiryu & Majima were already established as characters, it gave them the room to get creative (especially with Majima, as he really didn't have that much presence in 1-4 to begin with).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 84 - Three Hundred Million

I give a lot of poo poo to Shinada but it's not really him I have an issue with, it was mainly his early storyline and his subpar unarmed fighting that grated with me. You may have noticed by now but I don't like playing with weapons too much. Shinada's fighting was dire before getting some levels.

Plus I'll be honest I don't really care about professional baseball so that doesn't help :v:

Kinu Nishimura posted:

i think daigo should settle down with shinada because all this big crime business isn't daigo's forte and if he keeps attracting men like mine he might as well go with it and shinada could use the money to buy one (1) beer

...Honestly Shinada could do better

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh yeah shinada's fighting style is ramshackle as gently caress, especially early on. i kind of love it from the thematic standpoint that he's the one yakuza protagonist who isn't really good at fighting, he's just upsettingly buff, but yeah i totally get that

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Considering that his only alternative is whatever the gently caress that parasocial thing is between him and Takasugi, Daigo doesn't look too bad an option.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I know you two are pining for George but he's gone back to his home planet never to be seen or talked about again.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Shinada's combat sucks but it's a neat storytelling thing even if it sucks to play and his story is by far and away the most interesting and likable one in 5 that isn't bogged down by weird idol industry stuff or the hysterically convoluted conspiracy of the main plot.

He's also just a fun character to have around and it's nice all his stuff is self contained to this game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 85 - Hells To The Yeah My Dude

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Wait, people are into this series despite the buckwild bullshit ruse-cruiser roller coaster of a plot? I've always held it as a key draw of the series that the plot is like that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sometimes it gets to be a little much.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Maybe it's because I'm watching instead of playing, but I have entirely lost track of who is allied with who and who betrayed who.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Cloacamazing! posted:

Maybe it's because I'm watching instead of playing, but I have entirely lost track of who is allied with who and who betrayed who.

we lost track too don't worry.

also my beef with Shinada wasn't as much with him specifically, but how ramped to 11 the already uncomfortable attitude toward women the series has is in his section

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's not as bad as Yakuza 4 at least, I still have trouble keeping track of who betrayed who, or who's betrayals weren't real betrayals but fake betrayals

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 86 - Cafe A

You gotta hand it to Majima, the dude's got a sense of style

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

This is the Peak Yakuza point. It's both incredibly stupid and it rules incredibly hard.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
:sickos:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
"The mastermind's top secret plan has one weak spot: It requires all four of us to beat each other to death simultaneously on this rooftop. Which is why I have called you here and we're going to beat each other to death simultaneously on this rooftop."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i love this loving game

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 87 - And He's Got A Gun

I just like fighting okay

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

On episode 81 now, the lengthy exposition dump in the stadium, and what the gently caress is any of this, why are we supposed to care, what does it have to do with anything else in this game. God, Shinada himself grew on me bit once he got away from all the perv stuff and was just a generic affable loser, but his chapter is a tedious, hacked-together mess where nothing flows logically.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Ah yes, first shoot Daigo, who is somewhere between kid brother and sort of adopted son, and then threaten Haruka. Fella really trying to speedrun Kiryu giving up on the whole "never kills anyone" thing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
For half a minute, Daigo was the smartest person in the entire Yakuza franchise, because he took the gun away from the bad guy holding the gun.

Then he kept talking.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 88 - You Two Stand Off Stage

Fake rear end bitches acting like we're friends now that their jobs are on the line, miss me with that

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 89 - NY Hotdog

They're going to make Daigo start paying rent at that hospital

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Kinda odd they didn't throw a subtitle in there, but that was Daigo's room Shinada went into.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 90 - Date's Already Unconcious
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 91 - Really Walking Slow

It's Christmas time baybee you know what that means (dozens dead after attack on the Millenium Tower)

Danaru fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 31, 2023

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The link's correct but the title for the second one is wrong.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah well Date was still unconcious :colbert:

Also happy new year, Grace and I just played an episode of Mario Party 3 that went so loving badly that we switched games. Also here's the preview for the next thread going up in a day or two:

https://x.com/DanaruLP/status/1741585186679124447?s=20

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Danaru posted:

Yeah well Date was still unconcious :colbert:

Also happy new year, Grace and I just played an episode of Mario Party 3 that went so loving badly that we switched games. Also here's the preview for the next thread going up in a day or two:

https://x.com/DanaruLP/status/1741585186679124447?s=20

Glorious.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

:five: already.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yakuza 6 has a problem with its love of celebrity cameos, if you glance at the boxart then you'll know what I mean.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 92 - Ara?
Let's Play Yakuza 5 Episode 93 - So Pink, So Fast

This is the most trouble a boss fight gave me since Mine I think :shepface: Munakata's goons don't count

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Park died for nothing.

The end.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
aizawa is the best boss fight in the goddamn series. i don't care if he makes no sense that poo poo is raw

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Haruka immediately quitting is profoundly stupid (derogatory) and also makes all the poo poo everyone went through to get her to that point pointless, as opposed to the rest, which also was profoundly stupid (affectionate).

I look forward to your reactions whenever you finally get back for Premium Adventure with Saejima Claus, Shrimp Shinada, Ramen-shop Kiryu, Whatever-the-gently caress-Akiyama is, and Haruka Miku.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Just Winging It posted:

Haruka immediately quitting is profoundly stupid (derogatory) and also makes all the poo poo everyone went through to get her to that point pointless

Honestly it just highlights to me how forced and pointless the entire Idol arc is for her, no matter how fun I find her section of this game to be

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm not entirely sure why Akiyama and Shinada were even there. Shinada especially, Baba was already not going to shoot Haruka, but then this weird guy showed up, yelled at him, beat him up and then Baba's old prison buddies showed up to handle him, because Shinada apparently forgot to give him Saejima's message. Akiyama beat up a bunch of people, then more people were supposed to show up, but they were our people, so they would have beaten up Akiyama's people. Honestly both of their final bossfights felt like they were placeholders for Saejima and Kiryu, who were busy elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

Haruka immediately quitting is profoundly stupid (derogatory) and also makes all the poo poo everyone went through to get her to that point pointless, as opposed to the rest, which also was profoundly stupid (affectionate).

She pulled a Yakuza 1 era Kiryu, all the poo poo Kazuma went through to make Kiryu the Fourth Chairman and he went "nah" and put Terada on the throne instead.

So it's no real surprise that Haruka, being raised by Kiryu, would also do the same.