Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Modulo16 posted:

If you want space wars with cohesive plot lines and scientifically accurate science go watch: The Expanse.

nobody ever asked for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the people who dislike Rey a lot are kind of ignoring the fact that she is pretty hot. That used to matter and I think it should still matter.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chewie doesn't get a medal, Chewie doesn't get a hug

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

redshirt posted:

And who the hell would make a map to Luke Skywalker?

This was a time before google maps remember. You want to go visit your friend for dinner or what ever you need a map.

Everyone just had maps to where all there friends lived. It was just what you did.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

temple posted:

nobody ever asked for that.

It was just a recommendation. I know no one asked. I just like it. :shobon:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I never understood this notion when Leia, Ahsoka, and many other examples exist that somehow don't receive backlash. It's almost like it's just bad writing and bad actors are deflecting.

Because lets do a fun thought experiment. If sexist backlash was the reason for the controversy of The Last Jedi, why did it tank audience reactions but Mad Max: Fury Road receives wild and universal critical acclaim two years earlier which was a much more female led film with a much more overt feminist message?

Surely the same sexists had the same problems with the film, but somehow they didn't ruin the audience reactions. It's probably more just bad writing. And I would say using every act and character plotline to say "That didn't matter" to previous elements is objectively bad writing.

It's both, OP.

Those people were out in force for Mad Max: Fury Road. Even here, right on this very forum. There was a lot of hang-wringing about the spirit of the older films, and a lot of nitpicking at every little detail (because, no, no, I'm not mad at the feminism, I'm mad at the PLOT HOLES!!!). But, see, Mad Max: Fury Road was a really good movie and nobody listened. Just like how Barbie is a really good movie, so nobody is listening to Ben Shapiro, or to that one youtube sword guy who does movie reviews now (the one who loves rapists and boob armor).

Star Wars really can't survive that sort of close scrutiny because Star Wars was never that solid. The new ones aren't great. They aren't worse than the prequels. There's people trying to make that argument all the time now (about how the prequels were sooo much better), and those people are either pushing an agenda or goddamn insane.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Star Wars really can't survive that sort of close scrutiny because Star Wars was never that solid. The new ones aren't great. They aren't worse than the prequels. There's people trying to make that argument all the time now (about how the prequels were sooo much better), and those people are either pushing an agenda or goddamn insane.

Yeah, I don't get this "the prequels were okay actually revisionism." The new films are mostly just bland Hollywood fair, with the typical pointless, fairly nonsense story lines that come with that. The prequels were actively terrible. Like just horribly made on every level.

The only two good things I can think about them is the first one had some great music, and the actor who played the emperor enjoyably hammed it up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I would say you're absolutely right, the prequels were a tremendously hot mess and I'm not gonna join that revisionism. But I also say the prequels had their own style that was very similar but also different from the original star wars. The issue being the good stuff that George Lucas wrote "This is how democracy dies" is a hilariously significant minority to the consistently bad "I don't like sand..."

I think the sequel trilogy is significantly worse, because as was pointed out in this very thread- there was no plan or end point. It was just mystery boxes and dumb fan fic level writing that was using established characters to tell a completely different story. That and frankly I don't find "Beloved character is a washed up failure" is any bit of good writing and simply exists for bad writers to attempt to make their new characters they insert seem good by comparison. Which is a shame they did that to literally every returning Star Wars character at all.

And you see it in a lot of modern stuff, which is a shame. It's painfully lazy.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

If they want me back in the theater, paying full price for a ticket, they’ve gotta deliver an on-screen Hutt Jedi. Full acrobatics, pinballing around like Yoda, Force Belly Flop, the whole bit.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

istewart posted:

If they want me back in the theater, paying full price for a ticket, they’ve gotta deliver an on-screen Hutt Jedi. Full acrobatics, pinballing around like Yoda, Force Belly Flop, the whole bit.

Hutts don't need to have lightsabers, their thick layer of blubber makes them immune to blaster shots.

They also can see in UV which they use to cheat at cards.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is scary because this is how I legitimately want to go.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wow, it looks like he has a family around him when he dies.

Lucky dude.

So anyways, the Prequels are CLEARLY superior to the Sequels in every regard.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like watching people get sabered

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

So anyways, the Prequels are CLEARLY superior to the Sequels in every regard.

A few regards, ok but every? No way

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Look I just want the next Star Wars to be 90 minutes of continuous violence; just a single, uncut shot of stormtroopers and rebels dying en-masse on a battlefield that makes Verdun look like the Emu War

Then they can follow it up with Star Peace

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ChickenHeart posted:

...that makes Verdun look like the Emu War

Very few Emus actually died during the emu war!

You know just the ones that died from chocking on all the Aussies they had viciously consumed.

Aussies are legally a chocking hazard apparently.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Bad film referenced good film. You must like one if you like the other.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ChickenHeart posted:

Look I just want the next Star Wars to be 90 minutes of continuous violence; just a single, uncut shot of stormtroopers and rebels dying en-masse on a battlefield that makes Verdun look like the Emu War

I just want my Starcrash reboot. Pretty sure they could bring back The Hoff for it.

As for whether the prequels are better than Disney’s sequels… all things being equal, which is worse: a movie made by an out of touch weirdo technical director surrounded by yes-men encouraging him, or a movie made by a cynical studio appropriating whatever trends and focus groups tell them are a good idea in the moment, even if it makes for a disposable pile of poo poo? Whatever I can say about the prequels, they’re George Lucas’s fault, and at least a bit more interesting for that reason. I never even got around to seeing TLJ because of the fanboy screeching…

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 16, 2023

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Give me a claymation star war starring Keanu Reeves as Rosco Stellarcloud an intergalactic pimp who gets in trouble with local droid mob bosses who rule the mud planet he’s crash landed on placing him smack in the middle of a gang war

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

It’s official cannon that jar-jar binks & anakin open mouth kiss at least once

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Tunicate posted:

Hutts don't need to have lightsabers,

Who said anything about "need"

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I don't see how during the clone wars for instance, that we didn't see star destroyers or any kind of capital ships just bombarding a planet to cinders. The mass troop rush battles must have been few and far between, when lots of places just got Ion cannoned from orbit.

Mandalore got blowed up real good that way I think?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dying and TWO boners!!!?!

Sign me up!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

star wars is popular not because it is good, but because nerds say "but what if it were good"

star wars sucks rear end, always has, rogue one was the only okay one because it's not space kardashian bullshit. also it has alan tudyk

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Rogue One sucks on principle because they only gave Donnie Yen one fight scene.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

The end of Rogue One with Darth Vader loving poo poo up, but that's the entire movie

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I like the Mandolinian.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

I like the Mandolinian.

baby yofa lol!~!!!!!!!!!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Dying and TWO boners!!!?!

Sign me up!

no, those are testicles. learn basic anatomy moron. idiot.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
have you ever read any of those star wars extended universe books? I tried to as a kid but I was too illiterate I think (still am) so I don't remember poo poo about them other than "what the gently caress is this Star Wars I don't see the word ewok anywhere this sucks"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Private Cumshoe posted:

have you ever read any of those star wars extended universe books? I tried to as a kid but I was too illiterate I think (still am) so I don't remember poo poo about them other than "what the gently caress is this Star Wars I don't see the word ewok anywhere this sucks"
Look sure they had some pretty dense prose, but Ewok literature certainly did exist:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I burned through all of those books multiple times. Stopped when they killed Chewbacca by dropping a moon on him. Even 14-year old me could tell that was jumping the shark.

Some of them were pretty good, I think? There were some neat short story collections and I liked how Leia had some cool adventures on her own. Luke got a strong female character wife and while that was a big thing back then, the depiction probably hasn't aged well.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Modulo16 posted:

If you want space wars with cohesive plot lines and scientifically accurate science go watch: The Expanse.

I'm going to be real with you, that sounds boring as gently caress.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The funniest thing in the extended universe is Han Solo being a deadbeat dad, while Leia is literally the president of the galaxy. Eventually they send the kids off to jedi boarding school.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

My dad told me this story about how when the first movie came out, he thought for weeks that it was a movie called “Star Horse.”

The first friend to tell him about it was his flamboyantly gay coworker from NYC who pronounced “wars” in a way that sounded like “horse.” So he thought the movie was called “Star Horse” for weeks until he finally saw a poster.

Now whenever a new SW thing comes out, I take the time to ask my dad if he’s seen the latest Star Horse. It always gets a chuckle.

Anyway, that’s my Star Wars nonsense.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

I have! Quite a few. My favorites are "Darth Plagueius" and "Cloak of Deception", both of which are lead ins to The Phantom Menace.

Also, the novelization of Revenge of the Sith is far, far better than the movie.

Finally, I am a nerd. Thank you.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I think the first 20 seconds or so of Sith is the best thing in all of Star Wars— you see this massive proto-star destroyer from above, inverting the shot from original Star Wars, over the Republic the sun is literally setting on, then suddenly the camera flips and everything above it looks just like original Star Wars for the first time. Just this effortless sense of conveying the imminence of what’s coming, wordlessly and quickly, as part of an action sequence that is still cool and exciting. Unfortunately, then people start to speak

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

vegetables posted:

I think the first 20 seconds or so of Sith is the best thing in all of Star Wars— you see this massive proto-star destroyer from above, inverting the shot from original Star Wars, over the Republic the sun is literally setting on, then suddenly the camera flips and everything above it looks just like original Star Wars for the first time. Just this effortless sense of conveying the imminence of what’s coming, wordlessly and quickly, as part of an action sequence that is still cool and exciting. Unfortunately, then people start to speak

Those war drums too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dialog in Star Wars is just a means to get to the kickass action sequences.