Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Extra Large Marge posted:

Dialog in Star Wars is just a means to get to the kickass action sequences.

Now THIS is a GBS post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Title reads like something labeled in a Kelly cartoon

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
👏 incest👏back👏in👏star👏wars👏

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

rogue one was godo

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

vegetables posted:

I think the first 20 seconds or so of Sith is the best thing in all of Star Wars— you see this massive proto-star destroyer from above, inverting the shot from original Star Wars, over the Republic the sun is literally setting on, then suddenly the camera flips and everything above it looks just like original Star Wars for the first time. Just this effortless sense of conveying the imminence of what’s coming, wordlessly and quickly, as part of an action sequence that is still cool and exciting. Unfortunately, then people start to speak

Shortly afterwards, though, comes the most pivotal line of dialogue in all of Star Wars, the one that succinctly summarizes the entire thing:

"How did this happen?! We're smarter than this!"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

istewart posted:

Shortly afterwards, though, comes the most pivotal line of dialogue in all of Star Wars, the one that succinctly summarizes the entire thing:

"How did this happen?! We're smarter than this!"

Somehow, Palpatine has returned

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They fly now?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Star Wars is cool because it's WW2 in space as fought by robots, aliens, clones, and sword fighting wizards.

That is all, thank you :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Dandywalken posted:

They fly now?

They fly now! :ohdear:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Punkinhead posted:

Star Wars is cool because it's WW2 in space as fought by robots, aliens, clones, and sword fighting wizards.

That is all, thank you :)

It's also Buck Rodgers mixed with American Graffiti

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Private Cumshoe posted:

have you ever read any of those star wars extended universe books? I tried to as a kid but I was too illiterate I think (still am) so I don't remember poo poo about them other than "what the gently caress is this Star Wars I don't see the word ewok anywhere this sucks"

The Bounty Hunter short story collection kicks rear end

Especially the IG-88 story

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

When you die Anubis will weigh your heart against a feather, and the more you hate pod racing the heavier your heart is.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gatto Grigio posted:

My dad told me this story about how when the first movie came out, he thought for weeks that it was a movie called “Star Horse.”

The first friend to tell him about it was his flamboyantly gay coworker from NYC who pronounced “wars” in a way that sounded like “horse.” So he thought the movie was called “Star Horse” for weeks until he finally saw a poster.

Now whenever a new SW thing comes out, I take the time to ask my dad if he’s seen the latest Star Horse. It always gets a chuckle.

Anyway, that’s my Star Wars nonsense.

Star Horse lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Extra row of tits posted:

Apparently the latest Star wars “did you know” nonsense is that Rey is actually a clone created by palpatine using DNA from Anakin in order to be a new vessel for his essence.

One of the very first replies to this is “So who were the parents we saw several times?”

They can’t even keep track of their own movies anymore.

I thought it was her dad(who looked like gendry from GOT) who was the clone.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Star Horse lmao

They had Star Horses in last sequel. They saved the day!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Star Wars, tge sequel to Star Trek

Burns
May 10, 2008

The best lol from the prequel trilogy, at least for film 2 and 3 is that it was shot in such a way where they cant make a 4k conversion.

A proper conversion that is. I think theres some 4k out there but know nothing about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Burns posted:

The best lol from the prequel trilogy, at least for film 2 and 3 is that it was shot in such a way where they cant make a 4k conversion.

A proper conversion that is. I think theres some 4k out there but know nothing about it.

I'm surprised they don't throw ai at it and call it done

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jar Jar did nothing wrong.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redshirt posted:

Jar Jar did nothing wrong.

He didn't do enough

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jar Jar... que bello...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jar Jar's like a melody in my head

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
do droids have any rights yet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

They lost the war, so.....

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChickenHeart posted:

They're tortured for fun and entertainment

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Dialog in Star Wars is just a means to get to the kickass action sequences.
I feel like this only applies to the prequels which had exceptionally good fight scenes and equally terrible dialog.

I feel like most of the new shows flip this around. Ahsoka's choreography was painful to watch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The problem wasn't jar jar, it was that there were also characters other than jar jar.

Really needed to be a one man show of just jar jar delivering a monologue for an hour thirty seven.

But of course lucas is going to be a coward and not do it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

dr_rat posted:

The problem wasn't jar jar, it was that there were also characters other than jar jar.

Really needed to be a one man show of just jar jar delivering a monologue for an hour thirty seven.

But of course lucas is going to be a coward and not do it.

Jar Jar...

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Jar jar was fine as a character but he definitely did something wrong

He put the nomination of space Hitler forward

Not great, buddy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

maybeadracula posted:

Not great, buddy

The fact that he was a self admitted self insert is sort of disturbing in this regard.

What were you up to in the late 1920's early 1930's mister lucas?????

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jelly posted:

I feel like this only applies to the prequels which had exceptionally good fight scenes and equally terrible dialog.

I feel like most of the new shows flip this around. Ahsoka's choreography was painful to watch.

I don't remember much from the sequels, good or bad, but I remember loling in the theater when Rey and Kylo team up to fight the red guys. It was like music video levels of fight choreography.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

Not great, buddy

You mean his friend and fellow Nabooian?

He didn't know he was Space Hitler.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jar Jar is a Liberal

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

jar jar actually being pivotal to the coming of space fascism is always a lol

palpatine essentially guilt tripped a cartoon rabbit into giving him unlimited executive power

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Star Wars, tge sequel to Star Trek

continuing the perpetual decline in quality of Star Trek sequels since the late 1990s, yes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Jar Jar: Palpatine invaded Poland? Well i'm sure Poland was just asking for it. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SRQ posted:

palpatine essentially guilt tripped a cartoon -racial stereotype- rabbit into giving him unlimited executive power

Seriously, what ever the hell was going on with his speech was never okay.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

George Lucas had some cool ideas for a movie and more than that he created an opportunity for other people to explore some cool ideas. Then he got frustrated with the whole thing and fretted as his wife edited the movie. When it came out he was convinced it was going to fail. When it was a massive success he was still unhappy because it wasn't the movie he had eninvisioned.

He expected the second one to fail and when it didn't he went "Cool, we'll just keep doing this." Which is why the third one had so many repeats. (Going back to Tatoonie, another Death Star and another family reveal.)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i am your farter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Darth Brooks posted:

George Lucas had some cool ideas for a movie and more than that he created an opportunity for other people to explore some cool ideas.

Also notably he originally listened to other people and let them reign in some of his crazier bullshit.

I mean that's not even a slight against him when he was working on the originals. Most good artists need people to work with to refine their stuff.

He was also really lucky he was able to get such good actors to say his dialogue... he's never been good at writing dialogue.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 16, 2023