Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked Star Wars until it was beaten like a dead horse. Now, it is comparable to Marvel garbage which is itself almost as bad as the Star Wars EU. It’s a full circle. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
boss nass is bae

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

I liked Star Wars until it was beaten like a dead horse. Now, it is comparable to Marvel garbage which is itself almost as bad as the Star Wars EU. It’s a full circle. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

When did that moment come?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ima smack the poo poo outta a droid if i see one on tha street

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chinatown posted:

ima smack the poo poo outta a droid if i see one on tha street

NYC has subway droids now and you go to jail if you mess with it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

I haven't seen one

Just occasional pizza rats

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

I haven't seen one

Just occasional pizza rats

Only at the nice subway stops

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

i could smack the poo poo outta an android cop with ease

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Also, Swole Jar-Jar

https://www.amazon.com/NIUMOWANG-Metal-Sign-Poster-Inches/dp/B09F9P8KZY

Only $16.99!

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
In truly outrageous Star wars nonsense, they are retconning the name of Jizz music to "Jatz" and I've never been angrier.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

dr_rat posted:

Also notably he originally listened to other people and let them reign in some of his crazier bullshit.

I mean that's not even a slight against him when he was working on the originals. Most good artists need people to work with to refine their stuff.

He was also really lucky he was able to get such good actors to say his dialogue... he's never been good at writing dialogue.

When Lucasfilm employees were contractually forced to agree that George was right about everything Star Wars it was not a good sign. The prequels had a lot of good ideas clumsily executed and a few bad ideas that should have been pruned.

I wonder what the prequels would have been like if Marcia Lucas was still there to guide George.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The prequels was Lucas saying "we've filmed all the good parts of pulp sci-fi, now lets do the bad parts".

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

temple posted:

The prequels was Lucas saying "we've filmed all the good parts of pulp sci-fi, now lets do the bad parts".

The year after Phantom Menace, Battlefield Earth came out. You might be onto something...

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

if you're going to go this route please post sexy twi-leks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

istewart posted:

The year after Phantom Menace, Battlefield Earth came out. You might be onto something...

If only lucas had listened to L. Ron Hubbard more, he could of written a master piece like that.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Added to my buy later list, thank you.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The first two movies were decent

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like that stars war people keep pretending the setting at large is important but it 100% isn't. The only people that matter in any capacity, and decide everything, is one specific family. If you aren't in their "bloodline" (which is a gross story concept I've always hated) then you really don't matter.

Also gently caress anything that requires homework to fill in plot holes and bad writing. gently caress your expanded universe bullshit. You're advocating official fanfiction because the base media is badly done and that says a lot.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I like that stars war people keep pretending the setting at large is important but it 100% isn't. The only people that matter in any capacity, and decide everything, is one specific family. If you aren't in their "bloodline" (which is a gross story concept I've always hated) then you really don't matter.

Also gently caress anything that requires homework to fill in plot holes and bad writing. gently caress your expanded universe bullshit. You're advocating official fanfiction because the base media is badly done and that says a lot.

You really think Hoth doesn't matter? Tatooine? Who are you trying to convince? Get a grip.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ewoks died so you could have the freedom to shitpost on the Holonet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

flubber nuts posted:

You really think Hoth doesn't matter? Tatooine? Who are you trying to convince? Get a grip.

Only because the family deemed it so.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

flubber nuts posted:

So here's a dirty little secret. All star wars is actually just set on the same planet. They keep on flying into space, making FWooosh noises with their mouth to make it sound like their going hyper fast then flying back down to a different part of the same planet.

Everyone on the star wars planet is just really insecure about how garbage they space ships are and how slow they go, so they just all play pretend.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Only because the family deemed it so.

sorry i thought i was on discord. i mod the GiP Star Wars discord and take my job very seriously there.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The starwar family is like the Godfather family. In fact you can direct parallels. I won't, but you definitely can.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redshirt posted:

Ewoks died so you could have the freedom to shitpost on the Holonet.

Ewoks executed prisoners

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Luke Skywalker's severed hand is a lot like the Lindbergh baby,

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Ewoks executed prisoners

It was a Star War.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

syntaxfunction posted:

The starwar family is like the Godfather family. In fact you can direct parallels. I won't, but you definitely can.

many people are saying this

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

I liked Star Wars until it was beaten like a dead horse

Star Horse may have been beaten, but he was never truly dead

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbuis43vVVE

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I thought Captain Phasma looked really cool and, since I'm a horror nerd, I was intrigued by her being named after Phantasm. Did that mean she'd have little metal orb droids to attack people? Then she didn't do much in Force Awakens and did nothing in Last Jedi except fall in a pit. She also apparently died, which was only confirmed at a comic con panel. If I wanted to learn more about the character I could read a novel or a comic book tie in, but it feels like a character who was set up as Finn's archenemy should probably have her story completely told within the movie.

That whole thing kinda soured me on Star Wars as a whole. It's still pretty cool and I'm glad it's out there for people who like it, but I don't think you can pretend it's great storytelling or anything. It's fun space action of wildly varying quality.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

I thought Captain Phasma looked really cool and, since I'm a horror nerd, I was intrigued by her being named after Phantasm. Did that mean she'd have little metal orb droids to attack people? Then she didn't do much in Force Awakens and did nothing in Last Jedi except fall in a pit. She also apparently died, which was only confirmed at a comic con panel. If I wanted to learn more about the character I could read a novel or a comic book tie in, but it feels like a character who was set up as Finn's archenemy should probably have her story completely told within the movie.

That whole thing kinda soured me on Star Wars as a whole. It's still pretty cool and I'm glad it's out there for people who like it, but I don't think you can pretend it's great storytelling or anything. It's fun space action of wildly varying quality.

The Sequels mostly broke my fandom. For the first time ever, I did not go to the theater to see a new Star Wars (The Rise of Skywalker). I did finally see it online, and big meh.

That said, Mando and Andor have relit the beacon somewhat.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
It's gotten so convoluted that you'd think by now someone would have stepped up to make a half-way decent parody- even if was a remake of "Ice Pirates".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Also notably he originally listened to other people and let them reign in some of his crazier bullshit.

I mean that's not even a slight against him when he was working on the originals. Most good artists need people to work with to refine their stuff.

He was also really lucky he was able to get such good actors to say his dialogue... he's never been good at writing dialogue.

Also the actors pushed back on the most dogshit lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rihbi2U7tNg

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
Whenever George Lucas named a character something like "Sleazebaggano" or told a video game company that wanted to call their game villain "Darth" that they could use "Darth Icky," I want to believe he was being as passive-aggressively dismissive of the Wookiepedia-type people who take Star Wars too seriously as everyone else should be.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Ewoks executed prisoners

Ewoks ate prisoners.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fobby posted:

Whenever George Lucas named a character something like "Sleazebaggano" or told a video game company that wanted to call their game villain "Darth" that they could use "Darth Icky," I want to believe he was being as passive-aggressively dismissive of the Wookiepedia-type people who take Star Wars too seriously as everyone else should be.

Even if he wasn't being passive aggressive it still owns because he's putting in the exact amount of effort star wars deserves

"This is Ranz Glucky, a fat alien who sells hyper-pods or something, he sounds Italian"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Going to buy some death sticks from Buttt Fukko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

Buuttt Fuukko