Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
there has been an influx of new posters to cspam, mostly because people are looking at d&d and wondering if the other politics forum is as insane. unfortunately, yes, but thankfully its mostly extremely annoying and not outright howlingly evil

cspam regards itself as a "leftist" forum and thanks to our modern condition very few people understand, and fewer agree, on what that word means. like my predecessor (rip croup) I too will found a thread to try to identify what it means to be a leftist, what political, economic, and philosophical traditions that term bears, and most importantly, struggling to answer What Is To Be Done as a leftist in the world today, until I too am banned and probed for 100,000 hours.

this thread is meant to be a low stakes place for people to ask questions or work through their own understandings without feeling like they need to have read a bunch of like fuckin adorno or whatever, so if someone comes in here with an earnest question or desire to understand please don't be hosed up little freaks about it. you may troll me but understand I will meet all trolling with loving kindness, rendering it instantly ineffectual, then add your name to my posting enemies spreadsheet to destroy you utterly when the time finally comes and I am crowned admin.

to kick it off, I've been thinking about something croup touched on in the last iteration of this thread that I think is important to understand about "left politics", and politics in the most general sense: politics is about power.

communism, the political drive to establish the working class as the singular and exclusive source and wielder of human power globally, is in every meaningful sense, politically dead (at least in the west). the thing that has grown to replace it - contemporary progressivism, small-L "liberalism", "leftism" as most people engage with it, whatever you want to call it - is lifeless and worthless as a political movement specifically because it has no theory of power. It has, instead, a vague moral framework: powerful people and institutions ought to be nice and do good things for powerless and misfortunate people, because it's nice. To do otherwise is bad, and you shouldn't do bad things if you can help it.

the complete and utter failure of progressivism as any sort of political movement is insultingly, nauseatingly obvious today in the cowardice and equivocation surrounding israel's psychotic genocide of Palestine. Even the most ardent progressives are trapped in a hell of moralistic bean counting, trying to determine how many raver lives are equivalent to how many bunker-busted Palestinian apartment buildings to determine the correct amount of finger wagging to distribute to hamas and israel's demoniac apartheid government. worthless!

we see, clear as day, that progressive liberalism is not a real political force because it can't hold anyone or anything to account, can motivate no real exchange in the actual world. no amount of condemnation can physically stop the bombs from falling. It is, instead, a weapon of an actual political structure: the global capitalist hegemony who can dictate action, who can drop bombs and stop the dropping of bombs. It is a mechanism to hide the structures of power beneath an impossible to resolve facade of moral accounting. we see that the spiritual/philosophical "correctness" of a side doesn't matter worth poo poo, that ~hearts and minds~ will be swayed as easily towards the genocidaires as the people being slaughtered, so the only place we can examine is the material world, and the thing we find there is ownership: who actually has material control of the bombs, the money, the institutions, the politicians, the government. who is actually sitting in those seats and writing the memos and issuing the orders because they have the control, ownership, of the actual physical material.

if we recognize the world we live in as unjust and want to change it, this is the fundamental truth we need to understand: there is only material reality. political change isn't enacted because two well-meaning people with different ideas entered the crucible of debate and the better idea won out. Political action is executed because power is had. Political change is enacted because power is seized.

this would be a good place to stop and talk about marx, class conflict, and historical materialism, but I hope that will arise naturally in the thread as we talk about stuff and ask questions. I also want to say that while this thread will naturally heavily involve marx and marxist thinkers that deep dives on marx should go into the marxism thread. while I think you're gonna want to crack open a book eventually you shouldn't feel you need to in order to post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
:gas:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
thank's for youre feedback

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What should you do, as a communist in the west, to most effectively implement your political ideals?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029201

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
So what are some practical examples for someone to be involved in politics (welding actual political power) irl. I'd suppose active involvement in a union if you are blessed enough to have that option, and local politics are the most accessible. The levers of power are so far out of reach for the average person it's hard to know where to start besides being an observer and yelling online (praxis).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Who took your shift key, OP?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

unwantedplatypus posted:

What should you do, as a communist in the west, to most effectively implement your political ideals?

AxGrap posted:

So what are some practical examples for someone to be involved in politics (welding actual political power) irl. I'd suppose active involvement in a union if you are blessed enough to have that option, and local politics are the most accessible. The levers of power are so far out of reach for the average person it's hard to know where to start besides being an observer and yelling online (praxis).

this is something I've been thinking about pretty much constantly since bernie's defeat, which by no means was a vehicle of conscious class struggle towards communism or anything like that but what might have been, potentially, something that engendered class consciousness within the morose and decrepit american political landscape. considering bernie post-defeat, maybe it never could have been, but that's neither here nor there.

I think the answer depends a lot on where specifically you are and what capacity you have. there's no left political apparatus in america, full stop. if you're outside of america, maybe things are different. I think maybe there might be local political movements, campaigns, or organizations that you can join but not to further their ends, to find like-minded people and put your heads together and figure out how do so something useful on the micro level. on the larger national and global scales, I think we've seen that a) the left political moment is not here b) it is not here because we have zero institutional capacity and c) that capacity is not going to be built in the post-occupy class-agnostic progressive horizontalist movements and orgs. I think the only place anything resembling a class conscious leftism is going to arise is out of a revitalized militant labor movement, and so I think that in a very general sense the best thing for a communist or other self-identified leftist to do is to organize your workplace or help others to organize theirs. at least imo

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Chillgamesh posted:

I am cultivating an air of relaxed casualness tyvm

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

this is something I've been thinking about pretty much constantly since bernie's defeat, which by no means was a vehicle of conscious class struggle towards communism or anything like that but what might have been, potentially, something that engendered class consciousness within the morose and decrepit american political landscape. considering bernie post-defeat, maybe it never could have been, but that's neither here nor there.

I think the answer depends a lot on where specifically you are and what capacity you have. there's no left political apparatus in america, full stop. if you're outside of america, maybe things are different. I think maybe there might be local political movements, campaigns, or organizations that you can join but not to further their ends, to find like-minded people and put your heads together and figure out how do so something useful on the micro level. on the larger national and global scales, I think we've seen that a) the left political moment is not here b) it is not here because we have zero institutional capacity and c) that capacity is not going to be built in the post-occupy class-agnostic progressive horizontalist movements and orgs. I think the only place anything resembling a class conscious leftism is going to arise is out of a revitalized militant labor movement, and so I think that in a very general sense the best thing for a communist or other self-identified leftist to do is to organize your workplace or help others to organize theirs. at least imo

didnt read

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Isn’t this just vulgar unionism which demands greater access to super profits from the global south? How do you engender a principled anti-imperialism from this?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

yes you did. you read it and you nodded thoughtfully.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Isn’t this just vulgar unionism which demands greater access to super profits from the global south? How do you engender a principled anti-imperialism from this?

in practice yes absolutely, but I can imagine no other even semi-realistic vehicle with which to build class consciousness, and from there an international proletariat. it might ultimately be that the workers of the global north are just too far gone, which even if it is 100% true might only be true regionally, and in the short term. to what degree do eg. lousiana farmworkers enjoy imperial superprofits? can a militant, radical union of those workers engage in building international working class capacity? maybe! I hope! Until something else arises this is the only thing I can think of, but to be fair I'm also very dumb

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AxGrap posted:

I think the only place anything resembling a class conscious leftism is going to arise is out of a revitalized militant labor movement, and so I think that in a very general sense the best thing for a communist or other self-identified leftist to do is to organize your workplace or help others to organize theirs. at least imo
agree with this

i'll quote what I said to Zoeb in I/P because it's still related about how we perceive the global on the internet and it drives people insane with paralysis and powerlessness.

quote:

there are things you can control, and things you can't. letting the things you can't take over will only just take you down -- to no one's gain or benefit. I said this before but one of the worst things someone can do to themself is self-flagellation. there is no point to whipping yourself over the global, it's not a self-sacrifice that helps anyone

to the things you actually can control (like helping unionizing your work place, or being there for elderly neighbors, or homeless activism or tenants-rights advocacy, providing resources to palestinian or other marginalized groups, or even just picking up trash in your area), you should definitely pursue them to at least make a difference in your own life and ground yourself to the real. and that will at least help you compartmentalize things you can't control.

The internet is imo a very dangerous device. It gives people the overbearing bombarding frenzy and perception of a global-view and that's never how humans were intended to think or perceive themselves amongst a global hierarchy, like a bioware protagonist. it quite literally drives people to madness when confronted with the overbearing horrors of the global if you can't compartmentalize to your actual tiny minute place in the world.
So there is, unfortunately, not an answer. and that sucks. But i think unionizing is the most meaningful action you can take against capitalism

is it enough? no, but at least you did something that helps people around you

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Will read later

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
alternatively the answer is to actively destroy the capital arterial systems: start buying DJI drones and strapping peaceful teddy bears to them and flying them into oil machinery. this is a John Brown-ian suicide mission, so uh, i guess if you have friends or family that depend on you and/or their lives would be ruined if you embarked on a John Brown mission, then probably don't do that. which is why no one does

plus consuming treats is ftw and feels good. 2023 is an epic year for video games

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
unionization, even within the context of the imperial core being driven by imperial superprofits, heightens and highlights the class contradictions of society, which is the necessary basis to even begin discussing real marxist communist ("leftist"/"leftism" doesnt really mean anything) organization and politics. when it comes to anti-imperialism, i genuinely believe that by the time a truly militant labor/anticapitalist movement gains power within and over western society there wont be any choice in the matter; the empire will have already been shrunken so far, and the subsequent post-capitalist society so dependent on normalized relations with the rest of the now no longer imperialized world, that "anti-imperialism" ceases to be meaningful as imperialism as a system becomes infeasible if not fully extinct

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

stumblebum posted:

unionization, even within the context of the imperial core being driven by imperial superprofits, heightens and highlights the class contradictions of society, which is the necessary basis to even begin discussing real marxist communist ("leftist"/"leftism" doesnt really mean anything) organization and politics. when it comes to anti-imperialism, i genuinely believe that by the time a truly militant labor/anticapitalist movement gains power within and over western society there wont be any choice in the matter; the empire will have already been shrunken so far, and the subsequent post-capitalist society so dependent on normalized relations with the rest of the now no longer imperialized world, that "anti-imperialism" ceases to be meaningful as imperialism as a system becomes infeasible if not fully extinct

In this hypothetical imperialism would still hold cultural and historical significance. Even in a circumstance whereby the global south has liberated itself and economic relations have shifted, you will still have the cultural memory of a time period whereby the west was rich and ascendant. Imperialism could still exist as an aspirational ideology long after it ceases being a material reality. Needless to say it would be held by a fascist and revanchist section of the global north.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

stumblebum posted:

unionization, even within the context of the imperial core being driven by imperial superprofits, heightens and highlights the class contradictions of society, which is the necessary basis to even begin discussing real marxist communist ("leftist"/"leftism" doesnt really mean anything) organization and politics.
yeah. people who focus on phone-banking or whatever for the DNC or even DSA are basically wasting their time. however, there can be local improvements made to the superstructure through local politics and definitely if you can pursue work there, that helps the superstructure (i.e. more accessible transit, bike lanes, improved zoning laws for more poor people to exist). i hate to say it but if you do have a dsa chapter (or other advocacy) that focuses exclusively in the local, that could be worth at least investing time into but it's also not really meaningful in the broader sense.

but local politics still can't really do anything about material conditions and the transactional nature of the system regarding private property. the most meaningful action is to show that exploiting surplus labor value can't go unchecked and must be pushed against. the only way these contradictions will ever be highlighted and heightened is through taking back surplus labor value by force, and visibly and demonstrably so. it at least gets people not even in your union thinking about the idea of exploitation and their own labor. maybe one day collectively they can form a voltron and take down accumulation of capital in a broader sense. my guess is probably not, but who knows. at the very least you got you + workers some extra sick days and pay, that's something tangible to the people within your own sphere

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

stumblebum posted:

I agree with this and it is a better materialist understanding of the situation than I was able to lay out. In even the most hopeful timelines there's no way you achieve any sort of mass class consciousness until well after most of capital has retreated and the distance between a formerly first-world worker and his counterpart in the global south gets closer to nil. I think sort of how a religious understanding of self guided action during the fall of previous socioeconomic systems, a class understanding of self can guide action as capital collapses -- or at least, I hope this is the case, and I think the only institutions that can build that future capacity are, at least today, unions.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Xaris posted:

yeah. people who focus on phone-banking or whatever for the DNC or even DSA are basically wasting their time. however, there can be local improvements made to the superstructure through local politics and definitely if you can pursue work there, that helps the superstructure (i.e. more accessible transit, bike lanes, improved zoning laws for more poor people to exist). i hate to say it but if you do have a dsa chapter (or other advocacy) that focuses exclusively in the local, that could be worth at least investing time into but it's also not really meaningful in the broader sense.

but local politics still can't really do anything about material conditions and the transactional nature of the system regarding private property. the most meaningful action is to show that exploiting surplus labor value can't go unchecked and must be pushed against. the only way these contradictions will ever be highlighted and heightened is through taking back surplus labor value by force, and visibly and demonstrably so. it at least gets people not even in your union thinking about the idea of exploitation and their own labor. maybe one day collectively they can form a voltron and take down accumulation of capital in a broader sense. my guess is probably not, but who knows. at the very least you got you + workers some extra sick days and pay, that's something tangible to the people within your own sphere

Shoplifting, got it.

But really what I'm reading here is trying to act in whatever sphere you have to convince people of an idea (like, many ideas sure) that hopefully becomes more powerful as more people are convinced of its power, and focus on organizing?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the most left thing you can do is read marx and then slip marxism into conversation at parties with the other project managers your friends with

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fart simpson posted:

the most left thing you can do is read marx and then slip marxism into conversation at parties with the other project managers your friends with

the project is called building communism and its 13 story points - yeah, better break it up.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

fart simpson posted:

how does posting online fit into leftism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AxGrap posted:

Shoplifting, got it.

But really what I'm reading here is trying to act in whatever sphere you have to convince people of an idea (like, many ideas sure) that hopefully becomes more powerful as more people are convinced of its power, and focus on organizing?
basically, yes. it's not an great fulfilling answer because we aren't Bioware Protagonists that can magically affect sweeping changes of our own volition, but its what you got. like I said, i think the internet is brain poison for a million reasons but one of the biggest ones is individuals being a passive receptacle for global bombardment resulting in false sense of praxis of engaging with "a global" by posting (not meaning these forums but in general), which also drives people insane with powerlessness

now on the other hand, if you have tens to hundreds of millions in networth, there's definitely a lot of things you can do with that. but for the typical working pleb, labor organizing and pushing back against exploitation of labor in your local sphere is about the best you can reasonably implement.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How to not read Capital and still call yourself a leftist.

Know the key phrases that show up on the Marxism end of year test:
1. Means of production- n. Nvidia GPUs
2. Class struggle - n. When someone with a PhD is wrong online
3. Proletariat - n. Hard working class of people, such as Elon musk, a small business owner, or a landlord
4. Yard of linen- n. A SI unit underlying all others such as the kilogram or second. 1 yard of linen is equal to two yards of linen
5. Socialism - n. a predecessor of the classless communist society characterized primarily by slight changes in the tax code

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Xaris posted:

especially did not read this one

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Read poo poo, make sure it's by people or from movements who were if not actually effective at least "put down trying" rather than "never really tried", be willing to explain and contextualize it to other people to get their brains running, and work not toward hotshot movie moments but toward accelerating the collapse of existing power by highlighting the contradictions inherent and doing your best to throw thousand grains of sand in their gears. Our moment isn't five million Red Guards streaming from the Everglades, and it's definitely not latching on like a remora to one or another evil, it's in becoming a source of stability and ideological coherency at the local level when those evils have thoroughly burnt even their diehards biting off more than they can chew.

"Posting" in and of itself is honestly not bad, but posts at people who are already convinced is a lot of running the knife on the whetstone and very little running the knife on the steak. Be the one who told the normies so, but not the one who rubs it in smugly, the one who had already proposed something that they can work themselves around to.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Ohtori Akio posted:

especially did not read this one

I know you read it. But tldr local politics is good, but radicalize your friends and acquaintances.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
posting is exclusively about having fun with your pals, online

ikanreed posted:

How to not read Capital and still call yourself a leftist.

Know the key phrases that show up on the Marxism end of year test:
1. Means of production- n. Nvidia GPUs
2. Class struggle - n. When someone with a PhD is wrong online
3. Proletariat - n. Hard working class of people, such as Elon musk, a small business owner, or a landlord
4. Yard of linen- n. A SI unit underlying all others such as the kilogram or second. 1 yard of linen is equal to two yards of linen
5. Socialism - n. a predecessor of the classless communist society characterized primarily by slight changes in the tax code

6. bough bouzh boojh boujwa boeughwa booswa boguo

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

stumblebum posted:

basically you can't do anything meaningful except prep and local acts as long as dollars are a way to extract wealth from the entire world, but fortunately everything ends and the current system is run by morons. so check back in a week

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Brain Candy posted:

basically you can't do anything meaningful except PrEP

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

stumblebum posted:

croup coughfield posted:

fundamentally, politics is the struggle to determine who gets what. its not about who's good or bad, or right or wrong. these questions dont even enter into the calculus of politics, they're noise. when it comes to deciding who gets what, we have a very helpful word that allows us to short-hand this concept: property. property and its disposition allows society to decide who gets what, who is entitled to the produce of productive land and tools and how that entitlement is enforced. in essence, who is allowed to cultivate land for productive use and what they're allowed to keep of that produce.

following this logic, we can condense things to say that politics is the ongoing, evolving battle over property and the exercise of its enforcement. in this context, the right-wing political position becomes clearer: property rights and enforcement should be the purview of individual owners who exercise total control over the land or tools in question. this necessitates a tight focus on hierarchy as the property holder has absolute authority but cant be everywhere and do everything all the time. this authority must be delegated to subordinates who ultimately still answer only to the owner. this can be seen at public and private companies, where the shareholders imbue the c-suite with their authority to produce surplus, which is seized from people further down the hierarchy and returned to the owners in the form of profit. you can also see this ideology at work in things like organized crime. the "conservative" and "liberal" divide are both right-wing positions. one side thinks property rights should be officially granted based on heredity and its fruits distributed based on entrenched systems of social obligations and contract law that maintain the status quo. the other thinks we should obfuscate the former and eliminate the latter by mediation through money. all of this is what is meant by the phrase "private property", which confers privilege (literally "private law") to the property owner.

opposition to this, which we call the "left wing", holds that property is collective. the land was made by god or natural forces, the development and production of tools for its cultivation (as well as cultivation of the land itself) is performed by society as a whole and therefore it is society as a whole that should own and control it and be entitled to the surplus it creates. there's a lot of different ways among left-wing thinkers of how this should be done, from strictly horizontalist organization based on local, voluntary participation to rigidly structured and enforced state stewardship that answers to the collective. any way you slice it, productive land is not allowed to be held by private authority. "leftism" is about the abolition of private property, full stop.

relative to the above, the correct interpretation of "centrism" would be some kind of social democracy with broad social benefits where some surplus from private property is peeled off for the enrichment of the people, but the rest remain as profits for private owners.

we need croup back more than ever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

I Seized It.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

evilmiera posted:

I Seized It.

that's capitalism!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Zodium posted:

croup was developing a definition of leftism, but stumblebum is correct in recognizing that as it stands the term doesn't actually mean anything outside of the people who croup was writing about. "leftist" has no real sensible definition in common parlance when it can be used to refer to Hillary Clinton and V.I. Lenin in various contexts. At least when you say "communist" there is a general understanding of what that means w/r/t private property, class, capital and capitalism, etc, even if you do incorrectly think the word also describes Joe Biden.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Trying to make my tenants understand that their rent payments count as mutual aid because I give $50 to the NDP on Christmas (also an act of worker solidarity as the NDP are fellow landlords [workers]). Any good reading recs so I can make these people (likely chuds, one is a nurse) understand?

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Zodium posted:

the biggest problem i have with this is that "society" is already divided into mutually-conflicting classes, and that in our times there is no "collective" ownership over society, merely the choice between proletarian class rule or bourgeois class rule. the second is that it describes an intrinsic moral motivation and not the material basis by which society is controlled and manipulated, and anybody can score an INTJ myers-brigg regardless of political affiliation

DaysBefore posted:

Trying to make my tenants understand that their rent payments count as mutual aid because I give $50 to the NDP on Christmas (also an act of worker solidarity as the NDP are fellow landlords [workers]). Any good reading recs so I can make these people (likely chuds, one is a nurse) understand?
Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

stumblebum posted:

the biggest problem i have with this is that "society" is already divided into mutually-conflicting classes, and that in our times there is no "collective" ownership over society, merely the choice between proletarian class rule or bourgeois class rule. the second is that it describes an intrinsic moral motivation and not the material basis by which society is controlled and manipulated, and anybody can score an INTJ myers-brigg regardless of political affiliation

what croup was doing was something like reclaiming the original meaning of leftist which was 'do you ride with robespierre?'; namely a definition that neatly (and justly imo) excludes most of the people that would claim to be 'leftist'. to remove it from the realm of aesthetics and vibes as is needed

and the problem with talking about it in og marxist terms is please point to a successful proletarian revolution. you can't, and while there are good reasons for that, imo it's better to claim that actually attempted communist revolutions were real and to ditch the strict discussion about who and what counts as proletarian, which was only ever intended as a functional description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

this is all to say rhetorically reclaiming leftist? fine. communist? sure. but proletarian is really really stale if still interesting and useful as an example of how to do the revolutionary analysis