Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

For me it's gotta be the Shinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
"Time and Punishment" has the open with Homer's hand in the toaster and it never fails to make me laugh out loud. I also take anything I interact with "for a test toast".

"The Shinning" is amazing. "The Devil and Homer Simpson" is amazing. "Attack of the 50 Foot Eyesores" is amazing.

... I'll tell ya the drop off is sudden, though. Every October I rewatch up to ToH VIII, and just... Rewatch them.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
tree house of horror v is the best one yeah. i love the swerve ending with the fog that turns people inside out.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

its the cafeteria cannibalism one where edna calls bart backwards boy i think

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ToH: V is maybe the greatest 22 minutes of TV ever made. The Shinning, Time and Punishment and Nightmare Cafeteria all in a single episode.

Although VI is almost as good, Homer Cubed especially is an all-time classic.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 16, 2023

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Man there's so many great ones in the early seasons.

Homer with the Monkey's Paw, the Raven reading, The Devil and Homer Simpson, Homer cubed.

Everyone praises the classic era, and rightfully so, but the the Halloween segments were really on a different level.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

ToH: V is maybe the greatest 22 minutes of TV ever made. The Shinning, Time and Punishment and Nightmare Cafeteria all in a single episode.

"Did anyone seen the movie Tron?"

"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"Yes, err, I mean no"

Also "This place looks expensive. I feel like I'm wasting a fortune just standing here!"

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

feelin' fine is my codeword for not feeling fine

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Goddamn, they’re entirely untouchable from III to VI, but my favorite entire episode has to be V. GOAT episode with The Shinning, Time and Punishment, and Nightmare Cafeteria.

My favorite segment is probably The Devil and Homer Simpson, though. Jam packed with luscious animation, jokes, and is just the perfect segment, overall. “This chair be high, says I” is such a great line for some reason.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yep. This goon gets it. Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace is also a fantastic VI segment. “Lousy Smarch weather!”

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Yep. This goon gets it. Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace is also a fantastic VI segment. “Lousy Smarch weather!”

'Do not touch Willy.' Good advice.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ObiwanSeanobi posted:

... I'll tell ya the drop off is sudden, though. Every October I rewatch up to ToH VIII, and just... Rewatch them.

It’s crazy just how quickly THoH shits the bed. I remember finishing VII and thinking to myself, “Well, that was certainly an OK episode” and kind of being disappointed; Citizen Kang being the best segment. They only got lazier and shittier after that.

I think the last THoH I watched willingly upon original airing was XI because I remember the one with the dolphins taking over the world. Meh. Can’t even be bothered to remember the segment names lol.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Saw thread and came in to post this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sisal Two-Step posted:

tree house of horror v is the best one yeah. i love the swerve ending with the fog that turns people inside out.

one....singular sensation

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Just watched THoH 1 to 8 yesterday. First time I've seen any Simpsons since I tuned out in like 03 or 04.

It was amazing, all of it, but I started with part 5. I'd just watched Dr. Sleep and was completely blown away by it and wanted some more Shining in my life. It was so loving good that it locked me into my Treehouse binge.

Do they still do a Treehouse of Horror every season? How bad did they get?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stunt-Puffin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 16, 2023

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

the last thoh episode i remember watching is whatever one had the harry potter parody. i don't remember a single thing about it.

i wonder if they did a twilight parody segment one year.

e: lol of course they did. season 22.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

The shinning was so funny to me and my friend as young kids that we changed the "no beer" to "no doritos" to make it apply to my older brother, we recited it for a good couple of years. I remember me imitating the "go crazy" bit and it led to my friend accidentally falling into our Christmas tree.

"Once upon a time,
I was sitting in my little room
Trying to fall asleep

I hear a tapping at my window
Open up the curtains to see
The saddest face as can be"

--The opening verse to a song I wrote when I was 10 years old

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Do they still do a Treehouse of Horror every season? How bad did they get?

Yeah. I think they even did 2 last year

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Treehouse of Horror V may be the best one from many objective standpoints, but IV is the one to consistently make me laugh. The Devil & Homer Simpson has the donut eating scene that is just animated hilariously and the Twilight Zone parody is how we got Uter. The "Pennsylvania" sign is also a deeply silly joke that always gets me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the moment where the giant sloth walks by, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec1pnWxX8rQ&t=99s

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Flanders as a werewolf

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Citizen Kang and it’s not even close

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

You Are A Werewolf posted:

“This chair be high, says I” is such a great line for some reason.

It's a classic line.
That's the best thing about those old THoH segments. They're made of nothing but highlights, somehow.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Shining one is my impulse pick for favorite. It's so weird to have seen a bunch of them again a few years back, now that I actually know the source material for them. As a kid I remember the Elm Street parody and the Attack of the 50 Foot Eyesores ones freaking me out. I watched a bunch of the Friday the 13th movies on tv marathons around that age and loved them. Nothing about them bothered me. But the concept of Freddy Krueger and being able to die in dreams was brand new to me and terrifying. Willie was just felt so threatening in that character too. It's crazy how much the age perspective changes these.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

willy's "ach I'm bad at this" before dying is still one of my favorite Simpsons lines

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Ok, I just picked up where I left off yesterday and I guess I stopped at exactly the perfect moment because holy poo poo. I'm gonna have to say the exact moment the wheels started to fall off the Treehouse series was the first segment of Treehouse 9 (season 10, released late 1998). The animation got better, but the change in tone and the drop in conceptual and dialog quality was honestly pretty shocking.

I think Hell Toupee was the first legitimately bad Treehouse segment in the series. Snake is executed and when Homer gets his hair as a toupee it makes him want to kill Bart. It was a pretty weak concept and every third joke was suddenly making me cringe.

The Terror of Tiny Toon was up next. It's the one where the kids get pulled into an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. It was a slightly better concept but still felt like a miss. I'd say this is the 2nd legitimately bad segment.

Starship Poopers the where Maggie was revealed to be an alien, and it was the only segment that actually felt like it fit into the treehouse pantheon. I liked it.

I'm gonna watch a few more to see if it gets any better

----------------

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Treehouse 10 is just called The Simpsons Halloween Special 10.

Decent opening with Kang and Kodos doing a mock Oscars opening

I Know What You Diddily-Iddly-Did wasn't as bad as the two stinkers from the previous Treehouse, but Homer has definitely transitioned from funny stupid to annoying stupid. Still not Treehouse worthy. C-

Desperately Xeeking Xena... Oh... Cringe. D

Life's a Glitch, Then you Die. It's about the Y2K bug and it loving sucked.

gently caress this. I'm not going any further.

----------------

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Stunt-Puffin posted:

I Know What You Diddily-Iddly-Did wasn't as bad as the two stinkers from the previous Treehouse, but Homer has definitely transitioned from funny stupid to annoying stupid. Still not Treehouse worthy. C-

That Xena segment is unfortunate because Lucy Lawless deserved better.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

11 is very bad.

🐬 :-(

----------------

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

https://vimeo.com/300080950

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Stunt-Puffin posted:

oof i taped that one when it originally came out.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The last segment I really remember enjoying was the one where the TV-Y7 logo kept stabbing the network censor, going up in rating each time.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
That one also had Homega Man and Easy Bake Coven which were pretty good

You hags are all right

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The finest animated comedy segment ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_a8TFi3UO0

----------------

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And then from same segment of the same episode, something equally classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6NNU4wzuek

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

They were definitely better when they were horror themed and not like "Here's a random pop culture reference". The nadir was the Avatar parody, like two years after Avatar was relevent.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

And then from same segment of the same episode, something equally classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6NNU4wzuek

----------------

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Al! posted:

the moment where the giant sloth walks by, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec1pnWxX8rQ&t=99s

Wow I do not remember that bit where he pulls out wieners and eats them instead of throwing them for the dogs. I swear that must have been trimmed out when I saw it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Wow I do not remember that bit where he pulls out wieners and eats them instead of throwing them for the dogs. I swear that must have been trimmed out when I saw it.

They'll trim bits for syndication; first broadcast Simpsons is IIRC 23 minutes, syndicated is 21 or 22.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Neito posted:

They'll trim bits for syndication; first broadcast Simpsons is IIRC 23 minutes, syndicated is 21 or 22.

it was funny when they cut the most clever thing Homer ever said with nobody around to hear it

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

smarxist posted:

it was funny when they cut the most clever thing Homer ever said with nobody around to hear it

What are you referencing? The sausages bit?