Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Neito posted:

What are you referencing? The sausages bit?

this bit got dropped from the syndicated ep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5iX2GvlMN0

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Treehouse of Horror V may be the best one from many objective standpoints, but IV is the one to consistently make me laugh. The Devil & Homer Simpson has the donut eating scene that is just animated hilariously and the Twilight Zone parody is how we got Uter. The "Pennsylvania" sign is also a deeply silly joke that always gets me.

Agreed - especially with regards to the spooky "Pennsylvania!" bit you mentioned, which I always love

Buck Wildman posted:

willy's "ach I'm bad at this" before dying is still one of my favorite Simpsons lines

I mean, it's so relatable! :D

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
A Clown Without Pity (the krusty doll one) is one of my favorites. It's got timeless bits like "that's bad/that's good" and Homer singing the Oscar Meyer Homer Homer song in the tub, plus I just like Krusty's murderous glee.

"The doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me!"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Neito posted:

They'll trim bits for syndication; first broadcast Simpsons is IIRC 23 minutes, syndicated is 21 or 22.

I’ve come across a few bits like that in different seasons from watching random episodes on D+. My brain freezes cause there’s a joke from season 1-9 I haven’t heard before and it’s like I’m escaping the matrix lol.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hardcordion posted:

A Clown Without Pity (the krusty doll one) is one of my favorites. It's got timeless bits like "that's bad/that's good" and Homer singing the Oscar Meyer Homer Homer song in the tub, plus I just like Krusty's murderous glee.

The "that's good/that's bad" sequence may be the best piece of popular culture in the last 35 years.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The "that's good/that's bad" sequence may be the best piece of popular culture in the last 35 years.

On the DVD commentary for the episode they mention they only included it because the episode was running short and they need a longer bit with not to much animation, and as all the writers were a fan of Vaudeville type jokes which would have those sort of amusing back and forth type jokes they wrote that bit.

But yeah, the joke deserves all the popularity that it got. A simple joke, perfectly executed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

dr_rat posted:

On the DVD commentary for the episode they mention they only included it because the episode was running short and they need a longer bit with not to much animation, and as all the writers were a fan of Vaudeville type jokes which would have those sort of amusing back and forth type jokes they wrote that bit.

But yeah, the joke deserves all the popularity that it got. A simple joke, perfectly executed.

This is also the explanation for pretty much all the iconic jokes in Cape Feare, where they wrote about 15 minutes of actual episode and had to find every way possible to fill time.

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023

Angepain posted:

This is also the explanation for pretty much all the iconic jokes in Cape Feare, where they wrote about 15 minutes of actual episode and had to find every way possible to fill time.

The Mr Thompson bit, the rakes, the elephant parade, the HMS Pinafore...it all makes sense.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

The Thing And I from THoH 7

Pretty much every line of dialogue from Dr Hibbert in that sketch is a zinger, particularly when he does the mirror trick on Bart's twin and punches him in the face.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hardcordion posted:

*gurgle* ew dog water.

I love Easy Bake Coven, the Crucible designs for everyone is great, and Ned being the same level of religious he is in the modern time makes him the least religious person in that era.

Lifes a Glitch is really dated, and really mean.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hardcordion posted:

Oh man I love Homer throwing him in the bag with dirty socks & it works to knock him out. “Well, they are making me dizzy…”

I might have to give it to III. King Homer is so great with the plant workers trying to capture him, & the zombie ep is perfection. Homer just forgetting to barricade the door gets me every time.

Gosh darn it I miss looking forward to the eps believing they couldn’t possibly deliver again & having them absolutely destroy expectations anyway. “Easy-Bake Coven” was the first to faceplant.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

So I have to say, the modern simpsons I haven't kept up with, but last year I watched the one with the Babadook Episode, the Death Note Parody, and the SImpsonsland, and I thought all three were surprisingly good.

Not like the classic era at all, but very entertaining.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So I have to say, the modern simpsons I haven't kept up with, but last year I watched the one with the Babadook Episode, the Death Note Parody, and the SImpsonsland, and I thought all three were surprisingly good.

Not like the classic era at all, but very entertaining.

The Simpsonland one was pretty funny for the bits with Ralph but it was mainly coasting on memberberry jokes for the most part. The Babadook one just felt insanely late to the party on the fad of the movie.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It'd have been difficult enough to choose a one episode, never mind just a single segment, but honestly, whenever I think "Treehouse of Horror" I'm always going to think of Bart Simpson's Dracula before any other segment.

It's perfect. Along with the amazing joke-a-minute glory of Season 5 and being of the era when Homer was at his lovable oafish best (him waving his arms as he excitedly yells "Super Fun Happy Slide!!" has yet to NOT make me laugh), it also has one of my favourite "Twister Mouth" moments as a bonus:

The animation is superb all the way (bits such as Burns' agonising last moments as he melts, only to quickly reform and fire Homer then immediately melt again is :discourse:) with fantastic expressions and movements from start to finish. Abe doing his vampire stuff as the twist ending begins, only to have his teeth fall out shortly before he crashes into the fridge face-first is such a simple slapstick moment but the execution couldn't have been better.

Marge's close-up and maniacal laughter after her reveal as the head vampire utterly terrified my cousin, so I have to love it for that too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The Thing And I from THoH 7

Pretty much every line of dialogue from Dr Hibbert in that sketch is a zinger, particularly when he does the mirror trick on Bart's twin and punches him in the face.

The mirror trick might be the best bit of physical comedy the Simpsons ever did. Up there with Flanders throwing Homer out of the burning building onto the mattress, or Homer throwing the firework in the dishwasher.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

One of my favorite Wiggum moments is finding the Dracula cape & having the museum’s Egyptian wing torched as a precautionary measure.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The mirror trick might be the best bit of physical comedy the Simpsons ever did. Up there with Flanders throwing Homer out of the burning building onto the mattress, or Homer throwing the firework in the dishwasher.

The hardest I've ever laughed at the show ever ever was Homer being rolled over by batting cage baseballs, that whole segment is incredible

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

One of my favorite Wiggum moments is finding the Dracula cape & having the museum’s Egyptian wing torched as a precautionary measure.

Oh yeah I loved that bit - just to be on the safe side!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I love the cape has DRACULA written on it.

Ew! This is blood!
Correction, FREE blood!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

You've mastered a dead tongue, but can you handle a live one?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiunD69hP3M

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Having a Halloween Party tonight, gonna put a marathon of the first 8 or 9 to play in the background

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

smarxist posted:

The hardest I've ever laughed at the show ever ever was Homer being rolled over by batting cage baseballs, that whole segment is incredible

Oh yeah that’s a good one. I remember losing it when the helicopter extracted Homer from the canyon then the ambulance rammed a tree and back he went.

The overreaction to the idea of the PTA disbanding is also great.

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
The finger thing means the taxes!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

treehouse of horror v is the best. topic locked

----------------

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember losing it when the helicopter extracted Homer from the canyon then the ambulance rammed a tree and back he went.

The ambulance ramming the tree is to this day one of the funniest bits on the show. It happens so immediately after the siren sounds and I lose it every time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The ambulance ramming the tree is to this day one of the funniest bits on the show. It happens so immediately after the siren sounds and I lose it every time.

And the gurney hitting him in the head just like the skateboard did, to cap it all off! :D So good

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I remember watching The HΩmega Man in one room while my parents watched 9/11 news in the other. It felt like an oddly appropriate episode for the day.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

And the gurney hitting him in the head just like the skateboard did, to cap it all off! :D So good

The little blood transfusion bag flapping behind him as the gurney rolls towards the edge

----------------

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

smarxist posted:

The little blood transfusion bag flapping behind him as the gurney rolls towards the edge

Most of that segment got cut from UK and Irish syndication for years because it’s surprisingly gory looking for a cartoon that was still at that time directed primarily at children.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I think Homer makes a different sound each time he hits the rocks on the way down, it’s incredible.

Da doh dee duh doof dahg doot

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I like this scene where the interior shot is animated like Marge is being held by a big prop gorilla hand

Also "I think women and seamen don't mix" is a great line

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I think about the line, “Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?” in that voice a lot.

But the previous scene with Homer blowing away zombie George Washington and Albert Einstein is equally hilarious. The hell were their reanimated corpses doing in Springfield, and why was zombie Shakespeare in a locker :lol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
he's a nerd

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Actually, The entire Dial “Z” for Zombies segment is gold.

“Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!”

“He was a zombie?”

EDIT:

“Did you wreck the car?” :raise:

“No.” :ohdear:

“Did you raise the dead?” :raise:

“Yes.” :ohdear:

“But the car’s okay?” :raise:

“Uh huh.” :sigh:

“Alright then.” :munch:

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 25, 2023

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I often quote Homer's "To the Book Depository!" to this day anytime I have to run a mundane task.

It's also never not hilarious the concept of a suburban elementary school having an occult section in the library.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I think Bart’s spell incantations are top tier jokes.

- game show hosts

- department stores

- TV detectives

- condom brands

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dad you killed zombie flanders

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I think about the line, “Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?” in that voice a lot.

But the previous scene with Homer blowing away zombie George Washington and Albert Einstein is equally hilarious. The hell were their reanimated corpses doing in Springfield, and why was zombie Shakespeare in a locker :lol:

That and the "Excuse me, I'M John Smith!" (Taps gravestone) "John Smith 1882" "Oh, my mistake!" bits were great zombie moments :D

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Having a Halloween Party tonight, gonna put a marathon of the first 8 or 9 to play in the background

drat this is actually a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dad you killed zombie flanders

he was a zombie?

Also, had the halloween party, everyone stopped during some of the best bits to watch, a definite success.