Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Cool!

Is bluetooth enabled? Is it a laptop? All in one? Tablet? Do you have a touchscreen? Do any other input devices disable with the touchpad or just it? Does your keyboard have an FN+F5 (for instance) shortcut for disabling the touchpad? Can you tell us what computer you have which is strikingly ABSENT from your post.

Is it ALWAYS one minute exactly? Does this happen if say you boot to a LiveUSB of Mint or does it have to do with your config....

If you manage to answer any one of these questions we may be able to help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Dawncloack posted:

No, I removed the driver because I never use it.

My brother in Gates, I come from the lands of Linux. "inxi" is our prayer and magic word. It tell us, for instance, that the Prestige 14H B12UCX is a specific model of laptop, the distro, the kernel, the BIOS version, etc.

I try the function keys related to the touchpad after every change I introduced, with no luck so far.

I don't think it's exactly one minute but it's worth checking, I'll do it at home tonight.

Good point about the LiveUSB: I tried all desktops of Mint 21.2 and only Cinnamon Edge has my touchpad work at all, either when live or installed. Ubuntu and Bodhi Linux also didn't handle the touchpad, either Live or installed. It must be fairly modern hardware, since that's the deal with cinnamon edge, covering the modern hardware.

Before I managed to install the Nvidia drivers the touchpad worked, but going back to previous versions of the drivers doesn't change anything.

I have never heard of a prestige, must've glossed over it.

Bleeding edge tech woes, yeah I agree it's likely. I bet it works great in 11! Ugh.

MSI have few problems with hardware but the inconsistencies is kinda screaming software anyway.

Apple laptops switch tp/kb from USB signalling to i2c signalling when the driver is loaded. Maybe your TouchPad is using a different communication standard after a timeout.... That's stretching it though.

I've seen loose cables do this too. You fancy taking a look? Msi is usually one big panel held in by like 20 screws. Unlikely as msi use great fabric tape but you never know

Maybe try a bleeding edge distro/kernel/whatever works. Any distros do weekly releases?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
In the windows world this would be near impossible. Grats on your duct tape solution.

May it bite you in the rear end someday