Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
It's an old article but it along with a few other things helped lead me to a political awakening, an epiphany if you will.

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/18/5624310/martin-gilens-testing-theories-of-american-politics-explained

I posted it in another thread about health insurance. But this study was damning evidence, for me, that we live in any kind of fair system and I honestly don't see a way out of it. It explains so much, like US healthcare being universally agreed to be terrible by anyone aware of other countries who have single payer programs. Politicians don't care. The millionaire class likes it the way it is. As I said elsewhere in a thread about healthcare:

Zoeb posted:

It really is a terrible system but there are reasons it lingers. One of those reasons is that there is an entire, enormous industry and related supporting industries who's existence depends on this bad system. The health insurance industry are leeches. They market their product to companies as a way to reduce turn over and any attempt to nationalize or even provide a public option will be met with one of the biggest war chests of lobbying dollars and PR machine that exists short of the defense industry. During the Obama administration, "Obamacare" as the affordable care act was branded met with fierce opposition, not just from Republican elected but a PR machine that convinced regular people that a public option would mean "death panels." It led to dumb dumbs showing up at congressional townhalls with tricorn hats and assault rifles.

The ACA passed but the public option was stripped out and we got this feckless half-measure that did make things better but not nearly enough. Republican state legislatures poked holes in the plan by not expanding medicaid, but were also successful in misdirecting the voters the blame for Obamacare being bad to Obama. It was presented to them that people in blue states got medicaid expanded and they got nothing because its a handout for Black people and Illegals. The phenomenon is called "Manufacturing Consent."

There's another, even more depressing reason that this persists even when if you ask the public if we should have universal healthcare, they tend to agree, provided you don't bring up divisive framing or public figures that PR firms have poisoned the well against.

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/18/5624310/martin-gilens-testing-theories-of-american-politics-explained

The short version is that electeds, essentially, do not give a flying gently caress about any of us, at all. Literally nothing we do or say on this or any other forum, on twitter, to any pollster, or anything else matters at all. They only care about their donor base, and millionaires and billionaires prefer the system as it is. They prefer it as it is because they either parasitically make money off of it directly or they do so indirectly because the threat of losing health insurance keeps us going to our jobs. The media is largely on the side of the wealthy. There's no suit that comes in to tell journalists what to write. There never needs to be because journalists with heterodox views that don't align with the owners who are likely to rock the boat, the never get hired in the first place.

I felt the same way about the suspicious and convenient death of Jeffrey Epstein. I have doubts that he killed himself by himself. Even now, his partner is on the hook for pimping underage girls to.... nobody in particular. None of his clients got in any meaningful trouble. Bill Gates got divorced. Prince Andrew got embarrassed but remains above the law. It is our most taboo crime and yet, nothing. I heard about him on Behind the Bastards, heard about his original sweetheart plea deal and I was like, drat I guess being a spy and human trafficker is no big deal. We're just going to let that slide. Nothing to see here.

Zoeb has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

nancy pelosi has big cha chas

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
When I was told electing a cheeto to the White House was bad. Uh excuse me I am a red blooded American and I love junk food!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i was clicking on probes and permabans in the leper's colony and about half of them were for this forum. no idea what it's for

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

OP let Epstein be your entry into the underworld and go learn all about parapolitics

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

civilization is actually not so civil

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
graduating college at the start of the 08 crash, and then being unemployed and then working a barely above minimum-wage job.

Before that, I was a good boy whose ideology was liberal with libertarian characteristics. I also hung out in D&D.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

civilization is actually not so civil

many people are calling it "evilization"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
after my facvorite series battlefield flopped with hardline i didn't have much else to do so i got into history and politrikkks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the joker actually has some good points

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have become a chud.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

cat botherer posted:

graduating college at the start of the 08 crash, and then being unemployed and then working a barely above minimum-wage job.

Before that, I was a good boy whose ideology was liberal with libertarian characteristics. I also hung out in D&D.

Same. My family pranked me so hard with that whole "go to college to get ahead stuff". hahahah Got me real good with that one hahahaha :smith:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Also, thanks to cspam I am now an unironic Trump supporter.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I saw the hunt for red october in 4th grade and became incredibly interested in communism, under the assumption that it was just a bunch of hunky dudes living in close proximity to each other OP.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Oct 18, 2023

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

a series of tiny crack pings from 2013 onwards that culminated in me abandoning D&D because it's full of shitlibs

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Obama's utter failures to accomplish anything despite complete control of the house/sentate and executive, and in fact his only achievement being the untold strengthening of an unauthorized domestic surveillance program and warcrime drone program destroyed my belief that democracy will ever be able to unfuck the world because we control nothing

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Im a sick bitch and I like freak sex lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have become a chud.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Why fund schools with Campbell's soup labels when you could just use tax money

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The good doctor Ron Paul has been a principled defender of justice, friendship and free trade over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obOLzwSn6sY

"But I wouldn't wait for my generals I'm the commander-in-chief I make the decisions I tell the generals what to do. I would bring them home as quickly as possible and I'd get em out of Iraq as well. I wouldn't start a war in Libya. I'd quit bombing Yemen and I'd quit bombing Pakistan. I would start taking care of people here at home because we can save hundreds of billions. Our national security is not enhanced by our presence over there. We have no purpose there."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApuFPqop0Kw

"I'm opposed to all sanctions unless there's a declared war. We've already spent 5 billion over the last 10 years trying to pick and choose the leadership of Ukraine. We participated in the overthrow of the Yanukovich government and this is when the recent stuff really stirred up. We've been involved too much and I take a non-interventionist foreign policy position. It is not our business. It doesn't serve anybodies interest. It is part of the same thing that led us into the disaster in the middle east so a lot of people died and a lot of money and a lot of money is spent and we're still suffering the consequences of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan there's the threat of the war in Syria. We don't need another threat."

"I don't want to step back. I think the isolationists are now isolating Russia. I don't want to isolate Russia. I want to continue to trade. I love it the fact that Europeans buy gas and oil from them that means they're less likely to fight with them. I don't to isolate myself. I want trade. I want to trade with Cuba. I want go to Cuba."

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s2qfdl2sis1z0lvw3.mp4

"I think people [in Crimea] has a right of self-determination. It's written into international law. It's a moral principle and of course if you believe in limited government everyone should have the right to minimize the government. There should be a right of succession. We love succession when we succeeded from Great Britain and we love succession when the Soviet Union broke up so why not have the breakup of these countries. I cannot understand how we can argue against an election. You know that to me sounds democratic."

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Oct 18, 2023

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I like to make jokes about politics and hope that some day the mods open a forum where that is acceptable

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I like to make jokes about politics and hope that some day the mods open a forum where that is acceptable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3jgPsGQSdQ

some day we shall be free

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"political epiphanies" lol I just thought cspam was funnier than d&d

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Buck Wildman posted:

"political epiphanies" lol I just thought cspam was funnier than d&d
:hmmyes:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

:hmmyes:

I want to shitpost about politics and read some clever one-liners from other posters but dnd is not that place. i don't give a gently caress about praxis or whatever

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
When tyrannical Chinese communists were trying to minimise covid deaths out of lust for power, in contrast to our enlightened democratic societies which were courageous enough to make the hard but sensible choices to kill more people for economic growth

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Tungsten has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Oct 19, 2023

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i was born this way babe

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Unsure there was an exact moment (other than dealing with insurance after I turned 26, hoo boy), but I remember the moment that made me give up on voting for Hillary Clinton in the general was the second debate against Donald Trump where she discusses ISIS through a frame of, "there are three bad factors - Assad, Iran, and Russia." And it reminded me so much of the Axis of Evil speech that even the reluctant leanings I had for her disappeared.

Not that interesting of a story, but it's what I got. That and Chapo Trap House and being disappointed about the baton begin passed to Hillary, someone who'd ran to Obama's right in 2008, to begin with. God she sucks.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

still waiting on mine. years in cspam and nothing yet

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i found christ op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I saw a car, and immediately began exhibiting symptoms of psychopathy. I knew then that I had to post.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

OP let Epstein be your entry into the underworld and go learn all about parapolitics

you'll go insane, but that's the price of True Knowledge

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zoeb posted:

I have doubts that he killed himself by himself.
you are absolutely right, he didn't. the true conspiracy theory for conspiracybrained rubes is that he killed himself.

anyways mine was LF and reading old Matt Taibbi rollingstone artices like prison, iraq war, bush TARP followed by Obama TARP 2. the way dems gave like a trillion bux to the elite was the final nail in electorialism and uttrer hated for dems forever.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
As a child I noticed that the cynical adults would often respond to obvious injustices with the phrase "Well what do you want to do? Burn everything down and start over?"

And I thought..... Yeah, that sounds cool and fun, at the very least.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Trump is the harm reduction candidate

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was a 22 year old Airman in South Korea bossing around a 58 year old Ajoshi. I could give you a FF Asia explainer, but in short that is some pith helmet colonialism rear end poo poo. I come back to the imperial core and NOBODY and I mean nobody I knew got money for it. My hometown base is privatizing it's poo poo and loving around with New Airplane grift. BAH for any Joe isn't enough to buy property unless you do psychopathic grindset poo poo. Small time rear end empire, doesn't know how to keep and cultivate a praetorian class. Bonus Army is gonna happen again, keep loving around on everyone's paychecks. So I got out and followed my true calling, being a himbo in los angeles.

My older sister stayed in and climbed high, to the highest our class of people can climb, directly below the president's office. She still can't buy a house like our illiterate immigrant factory working mama did. poo poo sux. Anyways goodnight

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

KirbyKhan posted:

I was a 22 year old Airman in South Korea bossing around a 58 year old Ajoshi. I could give you a FF Asia explainer, but in short that is some pith helmet colonialism rear end poo poo. I come back to the imperial core and NOBODY and I mean nobody I knew got money for it. My hometown base is privatizing it's poo poo and loving around with New Airplane grift. BAH for any Joe isn't enough to buy property unless you do psychopathic grindset poo poo. Small time rear end empire, doesn't know how to keep and cultivate a praetorian class. Bonus Army is gonna happen again, keep loving around on everyone's paychecks. So I got out and followed my true calling, being a himbo in los angeles.

My older sister stayed in and climbed high, to the highest our class of people can climb, directly below the president's office. She still can't buy a house like our illiterate immigrant factory working mama did. poo poo sux. Anyways goodnight

Seen so many guys go into the army, the thing that's supposed to pad out their resume for some killer jobs, only to come back and try to make it in a gas station or, worse case scenario, end up out on the street. Real bullshit, especially if we're pumping the defense budget with millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
when 9/11 took away my kids shows for like a month i realised i was a communist