Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
How can a nation control and exploit the Indian subcontinent for hundreds of years and still have such spiceless and bland food? Have we shifted timelines?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.
Which foods did you have in Britain that fit this description?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Mr. Bung posted:

Which foods did you have in Britain that fit this description?

Beans and toast

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You forget that even while it was running a good chunk of the world, it was also treating most of its populace, its own lower classes, like poo poo.
Only the upper classes got to dine and taste anything that wasn't grown nearby.
Like turnips.
Mashed turnips.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 19, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
beans on toast is good.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sancho Banana posted:

How can a nation control and exploit the Indian subcontinent for hundreds of years and still have such spiceless and bland food? Have we shifted timelines?

We imported their food OP, plenty of spices and heat at an Indian restaurant.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mashed turnips are good too

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

COME SAY THIS IN THE UK THREAD COWARD

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

absolutely tepid and unoriginal take OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like me a steak and kidney pie, I like bangers n mash, yorkshire pudding in some gravy owns, some well made blood pudding is v good, clotted cream on a scone owns, I'm hungry

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ask this question sincerely. Are there any popular ice cream flavors or desserts that are quintessentially British? For example, American root beer floats; or Japanese mochi ice cream.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
aiming high with this thread op. tackling the big topics no one else will touch. why has no one ever pointed out the mundanity of british food before?! congratulations on breaking this, the last forums taboo.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
i can answer by saying we have the best asian restaurants in the world lol

remember the bit about the UK being the size of a small US state, everything is close together my sloppy cousin

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011
YouGov did a poll about the best British food, feel free to get mad at Chicken Tikka Masala.

RandomPauI posted:

I ask this question sincerely. Are there any popular ice cream flavors or desserts that are quintessentially British? For example, American root beer floats; or Japanese mochi ice cream.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
carbs carbs and more carbs!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Scones go a long way towards making other culinary wrong turns forgivable IMO

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The really boring answer is that the myth of British cuisine being boring/bland seems to have been born from US servicemen returning from the UK in the 1940s/50s when there was that whole thing called "rationing". It's changed a lot in the last 20/30/40 years, primarily driven by immigration (but not entirely), but once you get a stereotype it's really hard to to shake it off.

There is still some remnants of the generation that liked to boil their meat until it basically fell apart, and there's some people around today who still just want their bland boring beige food, but I don't think that's uniquely British.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Ohhai posted:

YouGov did a poll about the best British food, feel free to get mad at Chicken Tikka Masala.

how can you drop beef wellington to C tier you won't get away with this

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How're those jellied eels?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

EvilHawk posted:

There is still some remnants of the generation that liked to boil their meat until it basically fell apart, and there's some people around today who still just want their bland boring beige food, but I don't think that's uniquely British.

don't forget boiling all vegetables for hours to reduce them to a pallid sludge

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Solefald posted:

COME SAY THIS IN THE UK THREAD COWARD

IMO, UK doesn't deserve its own thread until it can recapture the colonies.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ohhai posted:

"Bacon sandwich"? Seriously?

That's what they're going with here? In the top tier? "Basic food item on some bread" is doing a lot of heavy lifting on that island.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Two Spotted Dicks to go, please.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I like me a steak and kidney pie, I like bangers n mash, yorkshire pudding in some gravy owns, some well made blood pudding is v good, clotted cream on a scone owns, I'm hungry
partial to a banger in the mouth myself

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

yeah everyone knows they call it a bacon butty

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

happyhippy posted:

it was also treating most of its populace, its own lower classes, like poo poo.

Was??

kecske fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 19, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wee posted:

beans on toast is good.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Haggis is good and if you're weird and squicky about it, vegan haggis is pretty close since a lot of the experience comes from spices and texture. Cullen Skink is also great, as are arbroath smokies, being on an island means good seafood!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

Rum raisin icecream? For desserts, well, steamed puddings in general (sticky toffee pudding, spotted dick) or Christmas pudding.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm just subscribing for the inevitable

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

Rum raisin icecream? For desserts, well, steamed puddings in general (sticky toffee pudding, spotted dick) or Christmas pudding.

Eton mess?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That's what they're going with here? In the top tier? "Basic food item on some bread" is doing a lot of heavy lifting on that island.

You've clearly never had a proper bacon butty (proper back bacon, not that streaky rubbish you call bacon) with loads of brown sauce m8

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
The best British foods are all curries.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Little chippies to go, wot?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've spent quite a bit of time in London, and all I ate was Indian food, and an occasional Chinese.

Except for breakfast. Can't really go wrong with eggs and potatoes.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure why the bad attitude for the French cuisine since it was vastly superior and only a sliver of ocean away.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

jellied eel is peak british cuisine

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Mr Whippy 99 ice-cream. Non-cannonically invented by our STEM-lord Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Eton mess is always so disappointing. How can you gently caress up meringue and fruit.