Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

what do british call American cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Toxic Mental posted:

Berry cobbler

i always thought cobbler was british but wiki confirms it is american, huh. and it also told me this:

quote:

In the United States, additional varieties of cobbler include the apple pan dowdy, the Betty, the buckle, the dump (or dump cake), the grump, the slump, and the sonker.

Smugworth posted:

Plastic

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

speaking of, shall we move on to the topic of british beer? :D :D :D

There're some very good British beers but drinking beer at room temperature is weird, also we can blame you guys for the scourge of IPAs across America. We have thousands and thousands of breweries across the country and a significant portion insist on only brewing IPAs, and DIPAs, and new england ipas, and west coast ipas and it's loving annoying as poo poo. I'm pretty sure they're not even that popular in the UK.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

free hubcaps posted:

There're some very good British beers but drinking beer at room temperature is weird,

Nobody has done this since 1943.

The IPA thing isn’t so bad here, I think the second a microbrewery gets to a certain size a rep from BrewDog appears and murders them all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

free hubcaps posted:

There're some very good British beers but drinking beer at room temperature is weird

that's not specifically a british thing, thats how beer was traditionally drunk for centuries pretty much everywhere other than the us. its probably more common in germany than britain these days

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Earwicker posted:

its fine

i dont go out of my way to drink any particular british beer but you can find something good in pretty much any bar or restaurant there

i hate the way they pour hard alcohol and wine tho. right up to the line. thats cold. continental europe does that poo poo too

Unfortunately the law means we have to be really strict on pouring. Going to the States where you free pour is loving great. It's the only positive thing (to the consumer) about your tipping culture.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Nobody has done this since 1943.

The IPA thing isn’t so bad here, I think the second a microbrewery gets to a certain size a rep from BrewDog appears and murders them all.

To be fair pretty much every pub has stuff on draught that's going to be room temperature. Definitely not a common drink for the under 50s though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you don't pour His Majesty's Correct Weights and Measures then the royal constabulary (NOT the same as the police) will thrash you with a rosewood switch

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

potato buns are the best though

This is the truest burg fact. Brioche buns are only good in the smallest, most specific circumstances, and even then you'd be better off with any other roll. Brioche is delicious but is too much on burgs.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Earwicker posted:

that's not specifically a british thing, thats how beer was traditionally drunk for centuries pretty much everywhere other than the us. its probably more common in germany than britain these days

I mean, it's how every beverage was drunk for centuries before refrigeration became commonplace. I havnt been in like a decade but when I was last in the UK I think pretty much every beer I ordered was served near room temperature. Maybe it was a Surrey thing?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

actual fresh brioche from a bakery are awesome. brioche buns from the grocery store though are usually really dense and bready in comparison. i think they are ok on a burger if you toast them a bit tho.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What are you on about, we've had refrigeration for as long as I can remember.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

free hubcaps posted:

I mean, it's how every beverage was drunk for centuries before refrigeration became commonplace. I havnt been in like a decade but when I was last in the UK I think pretty much every beer I ordered was served near room temperature.

yea if you go to an old school pub yes what they are pouring is likely to be room temperature (or "cellar" temperature) but its also like pretty easy to find a cold bottle of beer anywhere in the country most restaurants and lots of bars

also, while i appreciate cold beer, you definitely taste less flavor that way. as with any cold beverage. so its kind of funny that some american brands like coors literally say that their beer "is best served cold" and even try to advertise coldness as a selling point... even though any beer's coldness is simply a question of how it's stored lol.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Earwicker posted:

yea if you go to an old school pub yes what they are pouring is likely to be room temperature (or "cellar" temperature) but its also like pretty easy to find a cold bottle of beer anywhere in the country most restaurants and lots of bars

Oh for sure! But as you implied with the "old school" pub line, serving it room temperature goes back to cultural traditions, as opposed to a lack of available refrigeration, and there're still plenty of places that pour that way.

Also I don't think it's a surprise that watery tasteless lagers like coors or bud advertise their coldness at all, given how they taste lol.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 23, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

free hubcaps posted:

Oh for sure! But as you implied with the "old school" pub line, serving it room temperature goes back to cultural traditions, as opposed to a lack of available refrigeration.

i think its more for the taste than a sense of tradition

like do a comparison, get a beer and chill some of it and compare it with a room temperature glass. yeah the warmness will feel weird at first but its also more flavorful, i dont think its just a "for the sake of tradition" thing.

it also depends on the type of beer. a heavier dark beer is going to work better that old school way. a lager is better cold.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 23, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So I'm at this pub and I get a pint and it's a couple of quid and I get a bunch of coins back, the price was like 2 quid and 3 pence. Who charges for a pint like that?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

redshirt posted:

So I'm at this pub and I get a pint and it's a couple of quid and I get a bunch of coins back, the price was like 2 quid and 3 pence. Who charges for a pint like that?

I wish I could go back in time and see how confusing the currency was back in the pre-decimalization days, seems like it was confusing as gently caress.

Earwicker posted:

i think its more for the taste than a sense of tradition

like do a comparison, get a beer and chill some of it and compare it with a room temperature glass. yeah the warmness will feel weird at first but its also more flavorful, i dont think its just a "for the sake of tradition" thing.

it also depends on the type of beer. a heavier dark beer is going to work better that old school way. a lager is better cold.

Yea taste could be a factor too. Stouts and porters near room temperature are definitely more palatable than lighter beers.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

Unfortunately the law means we have to be really strict on pouring. Going to the States where you free pour is loving great. It's the only positive thing (to the consumer) about your tipping culture.

There's actually lots of positive things about tipping culture from the consumer perspective. It's the workers who get hosed over by it, and why it sucks rear end.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tipping culture absolutely sucks but also i think this thread should probably avoid it, as a topic, because it tends to take over and turn into an actual argument that drowns out everything else

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

But it also reminds me that Methanar is banned and that makes me lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh i didnt know that. nevermind it'd probably be fine then.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Earwicker posted:

Lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

haha lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

having a heartly lol remembering

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I moved from the UK to US about 7 years ago, I miss some British food but most of it isn’t the stuff on that YouGov chart really. We have good South American bakeries here so while I’ll have a craving for a Gregg’s sausage roll sometimes cos that’s what I’d have on a quick lunch break, the Argentinians and Venezuelans more than have me covered.

I miss how Indian restaurants felt pretty standard, and places were either good or bad but essentially doing the same thing. Here it’s a crap shoot and I’m never entirely sure what I’m gonna get. Things like poppadoms and the chutneys back home are so standardized and always on the table ready, but here gently caress knows what you’ll get if you order one. My girlfriend hates spicy food and got a korma on my recommendation and it was barely milder than the medium/hot curry I was eating. It’s good food, and possibly more authentic as it’s not such a thing in my state so they’re not pressured to localizing it as much, so the menus are sprawling full of things I’ve never heard of from both the North and South. May actually be run by actual Indian people too, whereas back home it’s all Bangladeshi dudes. All good food tho.

Regular Chinese places feel essentially the same in both, localized in their own way but not a million miles apart. Kinda wild how General Tso’s isn’t a thing back home, it would fit on the menu fine and be pretty popular I think.

Mexican food in the UK still felt like it stalled at stage one, and it’s mostly boring chains. My state here isn’t exactly renowned for good Mexican food but I can still rattle off a list of about 10 places I’d go to depending on exactly what I was after.

I don’t think Brit’s really know what American food actually is due to how sprawling the country is and how everywhere has their own cuisine, in the same way it’s easy for Americans to think Brit’s just eat jellied eels all day long. My girlfriend is coming home with me next year and is eager to try the food, but I’m not even sure where she’d get some of the dishes she’s intrigued by.

I’ll never be truly accepted here because even the best Mac n Cheese to me is a bit crap, but nobody eats the good stuff anyway and nostalgia leads the way so it’s all Kraft anyone bothers with.

It freaks me out that you can buy a load of bread, go on a 2 week trip, return and it’s still edible. That ain’t right.

Dammit now I want fish and chips but I can’t have it, because American potato’s are broken (but home fries and hash browns here rule, so it’s give and take).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Earwicker posted:

Lmao

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I moved from the UK to US about 7 years ago, I miss some British food but most of it isn’t the stuff on that YouGov chart really. We have good South American bakeries here so while I’ll have a craving for a Gregg’s sausage roll sometimes cos that’s what I’d have on a quick lunch break, the Argentinians and Venezuelans more than have me covered.

I miss how Indian restaurants felt pretty standard, and places were either good or bad but essentially doing the same thing. Here it’s a crap shoot and I’m never entirely sure what I’m gonna get. Things like poppadoms and the chutneys back home are so standardized and always on the table ready, but here gently caress knows what you’ll get if you order one. My girlfriend hates spicy food and got a korma on my recommendation and it was barely milder than the medium/hot curry I was eating. It’s good food, and possibly more authentic as it’s not such a thing in my state so they’re not pressured to localizing it as much, so the menus are sprawling full of things I’ve never heard of from both the North and South. May actually be run by actual Indian people too, whereas back home it’s all Bangladeshi dudes. All good food tho.

Regular Chinese places feel essentially the same in both, localized in their own way but not a million miles apart. Kinda wild how General Tso’s isn’t a thing back home, it would fit on the menu fine and be pretty popular I think.

Mexican food in the UK still felt like it stalled at stage one, and it’s mostly boring chains. My state here isn’t exactly renowned for good Mexican food but I can still rattle off a list of about 10 places I’d go to depending on exactly what I was after.

I don’t think Brit’s really know what American food actually is due to how sprawling the country is and how everywhere has their own cuisine, in the same way it’s easy for Americans to think Brit’s just eat jellied eels all day long. My girlfriend is coming home with me next year and is eager to try the food, but I’m not even sure where she’d get some of the dishes she’s intrigued by.

I’ll never be truly accepted here because even the best Mac n Cheese to me is a bit crap, but nobody eats the good stuff anyway and nostalgia leads the way so it’s all Kraft anyone bothers with.

It freaks me out that you can buy a load of bread, go on a 2 week trip, return and it’s still edible. That ain’t right.

Dammit now I want fish and chips but I can’t have it, because American potato’s are broken (but home fries and hash browns here rule, so it’s give and take).

This is a good post. I remember watching an interview with Hugh Laurie a while ago where he was (very insightfully) talking about his time in the US, having to learn to speak with an American accent, etc. and he basically mentioned how the US is essentially too big to even know itself. Like there's shared touchstones and cultural baselines across the country but if you teleported from rural Maine to rural New Mexico it's not only the environment that will be wildly different, even things like road signs vary widely state to state.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I miss how Indian restaurants felt pretty standard, and places were either good or bad but essentially doing the same thing. Here it’s a crap shoot and I’m never entirely sure what I’m gonna get.

in my experience the quality of Indian food in the US is very regional. i grew up in the SF bay area which has had a sizeable South Asian population for a long time, and grown a lot recently, and extremely good Indian food is pretty common there.. if you walk into a random place without checking reviews, odds are you'll get something good anyway.

when I moved to NYC i found most of the Indian food i encountered to be overly sweet and greasy and just... not good. but then I moved to a Nepalese neighborhood and a lot of the Nepalese places also served classic Indian dishes and did them really really well.

now i live in LA and the places closest to me are terrible, I mean inexplicably bad, but I've found some very good places out in the San Gabriel Valley

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

free hubcaps posted:

Like there's shared touchstones and cultural baselines across the country but if you teleported from rural Maine to rural New Mexico it's not only the environment that will be wildly different, even things like road signs vary widely state to state.

I didn’t learn to drive until after I moved here as living in a city in the UK you’re most likely covered by your feet and public transport. I’m still terrified by the fact at some point I’m going to have to drive in a different state, and I feel like everything I know will be useless somehow.

Earwicker posted:

when I moved to NYC i found most of the Indian food i encountered to be overly sweet and greasy and just... not good.

This describes NYC food to me, as much as I love the city. Then we get hoards of transplants here who are mad because the food is different. God forbid anyone asks for a pizza recommendation or they’ll all pour in to demand some place is the best in the city because it’s how they’re used to it, and nobody but NYers know good pizza. Same people would probably flock daily to a 2 Brothers if they opened here.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

free hubcaps posted:

I wish I could go back in time and see how confusing the currency was back in the pre-decimalization days, seems like it was confusing as gently caress.

You just need that one footnote from Good Omens:

"NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

This is a good post. I remember watching an interview with Hugh Laurie a while ago where he was (very insightfully) talking about his time in the US, having to learn to speak with an American accent, etc. and he basically mentioned how the US is essentially too big to even know itself. Like there's shared touchstones and cultural baselines across the country but if you teleported from rural Maine to rural New Mexico it's not only the environment that will be wildly different, even things like road signs vary widely state to state.

While that's true to a degree, it's also untrue. The fast food strip down the road here in rural Maine is probably pretty darn similar to a strip in rural NM. McD, BK, gas, Starbucks, Dunkin, Pizza Hut, etc. We watch mostly the same tv, the same sports, we have mostly the same politics.

I'd say there is more similar than different, at least at a superficial level.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a half british half american, i agree with basically all of this. especially the part about really wanting fish and chips

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

brits smell like malt vinegar

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

This describes NYC food to me, as much as I love the city. Then we get hoards of transplants here who are mad because the food is different. God forbid anyone asks for a pizza recommendation or they’ll all pour in to demand some place is the best in the city because it’s how they’re used to it, and nobody but NYers know good pizza. Same people would probably flock daily to a 2 Brothers if they opened here.

yea i lived there for 10 years and while there is really good food in that city, it's overwhelmed by a lot of really bad food.

also the churn there is insane. several of my favorite restaurants while i lived there came and went over a period of 1-3 years sometimes involving a downswing in quality or some kind of mismanagement and sometimes just not making the insane rent in spite of doing everything right. meanwhile hundreds of thousands of generic cardboard-flavored slice places and syrup-flavored general tso's chicken places survive eternally, or die and are replaced by identical versions of themselves

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 23, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

redshirt posted:

While that's true to a degree, it's also untrue. The fast food strip down the road here in rural Maine is probably pretty darn similar to a strip in rural NM. McD, BK, gas, Starbucks, Dunkin, Pizza Hut, etc. We watch mostly the same tv, the same sports, we have mostly the same politics.

I'd say there is more similar than different, at least at a superficial level.

If you're from Maine you may have trouble believing this, but Dunkin' is almost non existent in large parts of the country.

I was up near Belfast, ME a week ago and drove past a curling club, also hockey is waaaay more popular up there than it is down south, similarly football in some parts of the country is like a loving cult religion.

All our local HS teams here in New england have lacrosse teams, which I think is gradually spreading across the country but is still heavily concentrated on the east coast iirc.

There's definitely no shortage of common experiences, but I think youre underestimating how different regions can be in pretty significant ways. I lol everytime I see a new jersey plate at the gas station trying to figure out something they've always taken for granted.

Also "mostly the same politics" is a big stretch. Weed, abortion, and gay marriage are all legal in my home state, which are pretty big quality of life issues for a lot of people.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 23, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

If you're from Maine you may have trouble believing this, but Dunkin' is almost non existent in large parts of the country.

I was up near Belfast, ME a week ago and drove past a curling club, also hockey is waaaay more popular up there than it is down south, similarly football in some parts of the country is like a loving cult religion.

All our local HS teams here in New england have lacrosse teams, which I think is gradually spreading across the country but is still heavily concentrated on the east coast iirc.

lol I know, and while there are regional fast food difference, grocery stores, convenience stores, etc, I would feel very comfortable being dropped in rural NM and having to figure things out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

lol I know, and while there are regional fast food difference, grocery stores, convenience stores, etc, I would feel very comfortable being dropped in rural NM and having to figure things out.

yea i was just there last week, you'd be fine:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

yea i was just there last week, you'd be fine:

That's the Roswell I know and love!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

free hubcaps posted:

This is why I felt like the "Americans don't know anything outside of America!!!" stuff that was edgy internet chat in the mid 2000s was always stupid. Like yeah, it's true we are dumb and insular, but there's also 50 countries in one country here and ex. Alaska, North Carolina and Hawaii are about as different as can possibly be. I would bet that most people on earth can't explain 50 different countries and governments with their own somewhat unique culture and vibe. Like, most Americans probably can't find Missouri on a map of America, let alone Denmark or something.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are British chips as sad and soft as all the pictures and government regulations make them seem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Smugworth posted:

Artificial cheese-flavoured dairy substitute.