Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zeluth posted:

Not sure why the bad attitude for the French cuisine since it was vastly superior and only a sliver of ocean away.

Because it's French, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's pretty bad but I gotta admit beans for breakfast is ftmfw

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

The pleasurable poops are a satisfaction of their own.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
the english only come up with disgusting ways to make normal food

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Huevo Rancheros is the superior bean breakfast, I gotta admit, but baked beans on toast is an honerable runner up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The middle slice in untoasted and heavily buttered, I assume?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redshirt posted:

The middle slice in untoasted and heavily buttered, I assume?

you have it backwards

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

you have it backwards

So the Australian version then

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Actually we put the leftovers from beer brewing on our bread thanks.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ohhai posted:

YouGov did a poll about the best British food, feel free to get mad at Chicken Tikka Masala.

lmfao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bread and potatoes 16 different ways

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ohhai posted:

YouGov did a poll about the best British food, feel free to get mad at Chicken Tikka Masala.

To be fair, chicken tikka masala wasn't invented until the 70s. It is good as hell though, we make and eat it once a week.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the onyl thing with spices on that whole list and bri ish people rate it mid. smdh

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the onyl thing with spices on that whole list and bri ish people rate it mid. smdh

Yeah I lold at that fact.

I also really like shepherds pie and fish and chips so I can't fault them for being top tier. The rest is questionable.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Ohhai posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lot of people get confused about people making GBS threads on british cuisine. dont get me wrong here. carbs + fat fried in fat is going to be delicious no matter what it is. obviously poo poo like yorkshire pie, cauliflower cheese (had to look this up and its also embarrassing that this is even a "dish" lmao), pasties/pies etc are going to be good. its just that they're boring and bland. there's no attempt to develop flavour in british cooking. it's just fry and bake some mundane poo poo in oil/butter. my household cuisine is a mix of italian (italy italian) and lao/southeast asian food, and british food is basically flavourless by comparison. that doesn't mean its GROSS, we all love a good bacon sandwich (lol again) or potatoes and sausages (bruh.... lmao), but cmon. british food is bland as gently caress. but thats okay

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i’m not mad that chicken tikka masala is on that graphic, it almost certainly was created in the uk. i’m mad that they put it in mid tier when it’s one of the best things on there. Beans on toast sucks and baked beans in general are very bad. Yorkshire puddings are one of the best carbs ever invented

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Beef Wellington being low tier sounds like a crock of poo poo to me.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

lot of people get confused about people making GBS threads on british cuisine. dont get me wrong here. carbs + fat fried in fat is going to be delicious no matter what it is. obviously poo poo like yorkshire pie, cauliflower cheese (had to look this up and its also embarrassing that this is even a "dish" lmao), pasties/pies etc are going to be good. its just that they're boring and bland. there's no attempt to develop flavour in british cooking. it's just fry and bake some mundane poo poo in oil/butter. my household cuisine is a mix of italian (italy italian) and lao/southeast asian food, and british food is basically flavourless by comparison. that doesn't mean its GROSS, we all love a good bacon sandwich (lol again) or potatoes and sausages (bruh.... lmao), but cmon. british food is bland as gently caress. but thats okay

Yeah I think it's a good distinction. Bland and terrible are pretty different.

If I stick a burger in a pan unseasoned then put it on a plain bun with no condiments it's still a burger and plenty fine to eat, but it's loving bland. I wouldn't complain if someone hosted and made it for me, but I'd never subject myself to that.

I'd say I'd never subject my friends to it too but they're all british so they'd probably like it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to try a Sticky Toffee Pudding.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

there is a single british food item with flavour, which is worcestershire sauce (pronounced ‘wusstershuh sauce’). that’s the only one, though

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

yugioh mishima posted:

there is a single british food with flavour, which is worcestershire sauce (pronounced ‘wusstershuh sauce’). that’s the only one, though

I love worcestershire sauce, we keep a big bottle of lea and perrins next to the stove. Great way to add a bit of tang to some sauce like for köttbullar.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm American so I don't have any room to talk, but I cannot imagine walking into a restaurant and ordering "the bubble and squeak" or a "jam roly poly". Feels like you're living in an IHOP and asking for the Rooty Tooty Fresh n' Fruity every day.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm American so I don't have any room to talk, but I cannot imagine walking into a restaurant and ordering "the bubble and squeak" or a "jam roly poly". Feels like you're living in an IHOP and asking for the Rooty Tooty Fresh n' Fruity every day.

This was on my feed yesterday, for whatever reason I watched it; seemed relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F4gFo24YXc

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

yugioh mishima posted:

i’m not mad that chicken tikka masala is on that graphic, it almost certainly was created in the uk.

That's funny because that means the correct pronunciation is 'teeker masawlur'

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Larry Cum Free posted:

That's funny because that means the correct pronunciation is 'teeker masawlur'

That's only if there's a vowel after a vowel.

I like tikka masala
Tikka masaler is good.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Ohhai posted:

such an appalling spectacle. if one were ever to picture a morbid population it would be this. what bastard would describe steak and kidney pudding as "crap tier" and dare call himself British. what kind of monster doesn't like christmas pudding

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Solefald is unfortunately on probation but she wanted me to tell you she really appreciates all your nuanced perspectives on British food and loves where this thread is going

That's all

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Solefald is unfortunately on probation but she wanted me to tell you she really appreciates all your nuanced perspectives on British food and loves where this thread is going

That's all

does she have a defense of stargazy pie

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Let me ask

E: "not my cup of tea, but I do eat it for special occasions such as New Year's Day (gazing towards the future, it's symbolism). Otherwise, no real defence of it any other time"

Personally I (Seth speaking) find it weird that the British conquered whole countries for spices and then decided not to use them in anything. It's really weird to rationalize that

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 19, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

thank you

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

A Fancy Hat posted:

A local restaurant here in the DC suburbs used to have bubble and squeak for weekend brunch, except it wasn't the "correct" bubble and squeak. It was more like chicken and poached eggs on biscuits (American biscuits, not cookies).

It was delicious, but they took it away during the covid shutdown and it didn't return.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

absolutely tepid and unoriginal take OP

Yes this thread is about British food

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Zeluth posted:

Not sure why the bad attitude for the French cuisine since it was vastly superior and only a sliver of ocean away.

English and French people not stabbing each other on sight is a historically recent phenomenon.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm just subscribing for the inevitable

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Imagine coming out swinging against British poo poo and choosing to attack beans on toast. What did beans on toast ever do to you?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Maybe it's different for older generations, but I don't know anyone in the UK that would eat the "British" food listed there the majority of the time.
Most of restaurants nearby are Turkish, Italian, Chinese, Indian, etc, most meals I see cooked tend to be from other cultures, even microwave and instant dinners tend to be curries, pasta etc. Stuff like fryups and roasts are a once a week deal.
I guess there's so few dinners that counts as "uniquely British", restricting it to that you're going to get a bunch of beige poo poo.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ploughman’s lunch is a good way to use up whatever leftover bits of meat and cheese you have in the fridge/larder.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Ploughman’s lunch is a good way to use up whatever leftover bits of meat and cheese you have in the fridge/larder.

eating random poo poo i have lying around is an important part of my peoples culinary history. please dont laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Ploughman's lunch is over it's called girl dinner now