Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the absence of proper ventilation in, like, every american kitchen is one of the weirdest loving things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

also what is good interior design that's not extremely expensive? I grew up in a pretty typical looking 80s-90s suburban american single family townhouse and it looked like poo poo too
to give a more serious answer, it really depends on the place and the original house. a lot of old houses have really nice giant exposed wooden beams and framing with real stone floors or brick walls that are gorgeous on their own and can really do a lot without needing much. you'll see those more in europe and stuff. likewise old adobe housing are cool on their own and a more eclectic spanish or cuban interior design looks sick. generally though, housing like that in america is super duper expensive so at that point it really doesn't matter.

for most american tracthousing, the sheetrock flimsy paper house kinda sucks in general. there really isn't a lot you can do with that imo. i think the pergo laminate lego-flooring that people are sticking in their american houses really sucks and i'm not sure it's really an improvement over linoleum. i think the most feasible way to go is just eclectic poo poo you've picked up from various estate sales or whatever over the years and accumulated and try to have cozy warm lighting. i feel like lighting is one of the most important things and the warmer the colors, the nicer it is. but french kinda-cluttered cozycore is pretty cheap

that's also why "scandavanian minimalism-modern" stuff is so popular because it's very inexpensive and it's inoffensive. i, personally, don't like scandanavian interior design though (sorry zodium but u guys suck at it) just as a matter of taste.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

some scandinavian stuff is a bit TOO warm for me (white oak for days), but I have some stuff I really like from muuto and softline. good stuff is definitely NOT inexpensive though, it's just that the market is filled with cheap crap. good stuff from any style is going to be expensive of course.

also quite a few of the most prominent modernist designers are scandinavian (saarinen, jacobsen, wegner, juhl)

good design is about a style or styles you like and making it work together cohesively. this is why a good designer is worth their weight in gold.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Oct 20, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Thanks, sending this to my mother who enjoys something like this aesthetic

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
big fan of regularly spaced and identical windows.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I lived next to a building that was ostensibly made into a restaurant and they put one of these in the entrance/lobby area. sat there for a year or so then was taken down and changed owners or whatever never having opened. the town just wasn't ready for moooi front design horse

Xaris posted:

to give a more serious answer, it really depends on the place and the original house. a lot of old houses have really nice giant exposed wooden beams and framing with real stone floors or brick walls that are gorgeous on their own and can really do a lot without needing much. you'll see those more in europe and stuff. likewise old adobe housing are cool on their own and a more eclectic spanish or cuban interior design looks sick. generally though, housing like that in america is super duper expensive so at that point it really doesn't matter.

for most american tracthousing, the sheetrock flimsy paper house kinda sucks in general. there really isn't a lot you can do with that imo. i think the pergo laminate lego-flooring that people are sticking in their american houses really sucks and i'm not sure it's really an improvement over linoleum. i think the most feasible way to go is just eclectic poo poo you've picked up from various estate sales or whatever over the years and accumulated and try to have cozy warm lighting. i feel like lighting is one of the most important things and the warmer the colors, the nicer it is. but french kinda-cluttered cozycore is pretty cheap

that's also why "scandavanian minimalism-modern" stuff is so popular because it's very inexpensive and it's inoffensive. i, personally, don't like scandanavian interior design though (sorry zodium but u guys suck at it) just as a matter of taste.

yeah I can't really get too worked up about bad interior design that's not like the mcmansions you posted because it's like, gently caress man, I'm way luckier than most and while I'd love to have exposed oak beams and original wood parquet that I could flawlessly restore, the only real choice I have is do I get the bargain bin knockoff or save up for the name brand pergo to replace my 9999 year old yellowed linoleum. I'll stand by the modern quasi-minimalism as a pretty good standard of interior design for most folks because it's cheap, mostly okay, and just acceptably fades into the background as soon as people start actually living their lives in those spaces.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the only real choice I have is do I get the bargain bin knockoff or save up for the name brand pergo to replace my 9999 year old yellowed linoleum. I'll stand by the modern quasi-minimalism as a pretty good standard of interior design for most folks because it's cheap, mostly okay, and just acceptably fades into the background as soon as people start actually living their lives in those spaces.
yup. for the average american tracthouse/townhouse/whatever sprawl built in the last 60 years, that's pretty much all you can do: laminate faux-wood flooring and ikea-esque 'minimalism'

i have mixed feelings because i understand the underlying material conditions, but man it's also just so... impersonal and devoid, and yet so common. i really don't like it. i'd rather people not sweat "good interior design" or marie kondo-ing themselves into oblivion so much as just making a warm inviting cozy place to live n hang -- whatever it may be (or whatever ramshackle accumulaiton of odd-and-end things it's made out of).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my posting zone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

actionjackson posted:

my posting zone

nice. rectangles, cylinders ... you got most of the shapes

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
ZERO pyramids! What is actionjackson hiding?!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Mid century modern designers were really wrong about industrial technology leading to more creative freedom and experiment in design.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

actionjackson posted:

my posting zone

so people walk by and just stare at you all the time

where are the curtains man you're completely exposed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He likes it when people watch him post

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's the point

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

but gently caress gas, I'd want electric or induction just for the looks

you can just say you don't cook.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

actionjackson posted:

it's a zero threshold shower, which works but obviously the floor itself needs to be sloped in a certain way. you also need the floor to be heated otherwise you will be freezing your rear end off in the shower without a curtain or door

It's good for piss play

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

lmao

you really can't see in clearly during the day during the glare, but in either case that's part of our condo/townhome property so it's not like the general public is passing by my window. in a typical day I don't even see a single person out there

i also have these for privacy and sun blockage - they can open from just the top, the bottom, or both. definitely necessary being on the first floor. you can't see them in that picture though because they are all the way up

https://www.hunterdouglas.com/window-treatments/shades/cellular-shades/duette

poemdexter posted:

you can just say you don't cook.

I do cook (sometimes), mostly in a dutch oven (at least in the winter) and haven't had any issues with electric/ceramic. I would have done induction but at the time I got my range they were still quite a bit more expensive.

or are you one of those "REAL cooks only use gas" people

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Oct 20, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

having grown up with a gas range and used a gas range until I moved into my current place a few years ago, unless you have one of those jet engine ranges like a Chinese restaurant there's basically zero downside to having an electric range and people that complain about it are fuckin dumb. Are you blistering peppers every day? gently caress off

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

actionjackson posted:

this is correct. a separate induction plate for boiling fast is fine, but gas is superior for cooking

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

there's a reason cars run on gas and not induction

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

zoomed out posting station view showing the shades. i just got that pendant from gubi, big fan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

having grown up with a gas range and used a gas range until I moved into my current place a few years ago, unless you have one of those jet engine ranges like a Chinese restaurant there's basically zero downside to having an electric range and people that complain about it are fuckin dumb. Are you blistering peppers every day? gently caress off

gas stoves tend to be slightly cheaper to buy and they can be a lot cheaper to operate depending on where you live. other than that not much real advantage compared to electric ones.
other than removing a potential source of brain damage, respiratory problems, and cancer, I guess, but the easy solution there is just having a drafty rear end house or opening a window

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I do cook (sometimes), mostly in a dutch oven (at least in the winter) and haven't had any issues with electric/ceramic. I would have done induction but at the time I got my range they were still quite a bit more expensive.

Dutch oven does a huge amount to cover for what resistive electrics (including ceramic) get wrong, though. The problem to begin with is that outside of maybe the most expensive models they're duty cycle control rather than output continuum, and if you don't have a large and heavy piece of something in between to mediate it's just blasting, then off, then blasting again. And then if you have a large and heavy piece of ceramic PLUS a large and heavy piece of metal in between, you get the same problem from the opposite direction where it operates until the ceramic holds enough heat to do what you'd want to do with a thinner pan and then it just switches off leaving the heavy dutch oven or skillet or stockpot lukewarm.

You could build a resistive mechanism that doesn't do this, but we're a hundred years plus into them as products and the savings from a bang-bang controller rather than a variable transformer still mean almost all come that way. It's almost definitely more expensive at this point than just going with induction, where the bang-bang can be sampling the temperature of the actual cooking vessel rather than time-on or the temperature of the stovetop.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok I didn't really follow all that, but I'm glad dutch oven is a good option. Also the rings for my ceramic are a bit better match for my cookware. I have four that are 6", and two that are 9.5", whereas the induction ones from the brand I have only have 6, 7, and 11 inches for some reason. I also just got a stainless steel frying pan and saucepot so hopefully those work out well!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

there's a reason cars run on gas and not induction

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

i dunno it seems like every single developer/builder/landlord out there thinks that the choices people should have for living are either a place that looks like a dentist's office or a place that looks like a hotel room (for renting it out on airbnb as a hotel room)

sucks

sucks

lol my old neighbor just bought a house, gutted it, redid it, and it looks exactly like this. they also put an ADU in what used to be the yard.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

I can't afford a house so I'm stuck with electric. But my stove top looks like absolute rear end from moving my pans around. It just seems really easy to scratch up electric glass top stoves and if you're going for aesthetics, nothing looks worse than a scratched up stove top.

REAL cooks use their kitchens. It always looks like the stove has never been touched in all the photos in this thread.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

, and wood framed wood

lmfao

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You should be fine for what you're probably cooking in those, it's basically just like the thing with old driving video games where if you're pressing A you get max power and if you're not pressing A you get nothing so you have to feather.
For ceramic, honestly, I'm stuck with a garbage landlord special and the biggest problem is that it doesn't know not to feather when I'm going up a hill in Snowrunner (trying to get a dutch oven + a couple liters of oil back up to temp ASAP so the pound of chilled fish or frozen potatoes I just dumped in don't just marinate in grease.)

And, from a design perspective, I do have to admit that not only does it look pretty but the added counter space is probably worth it. Hell, it makes a nice heat-resistant stand for the camp stove I do the frying on, even.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

poemdexter posted:

I can't afford a house so I'm stuck with electric. But my stove top looks like absolute rear end from moving my pans around. It just seems really easy to scratch up electric glass top stoves and if you're going for aesthetics, nothing looks worse than a scratched up stove top.

REAL cooks use their kitchens. It always looks like the stove has never been touched in all the photos in this thread.

I mean those photos are of new properties so they literally haven't been used

I don't have an issue with scratches being noticeable unless I'm literally standing right in front of it and have the lights on (which I'm only doing when using it of course). i make sure not to slide things on the surface though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

gas stoves tend to be slightly cheaper to buy and they can be a lot cheaper to operate depending on where you live. other than that not much real advantage compared to electric ones.
other than removing a potential source of brain damage, respiratory problems, and cancer, I guess, but the easy solution there is just having a drafty rear end house or opening a window

I have simply situated my kitchen outside under an old garage door

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ultra Carp
*heavy riffs start

indecipherable rear endück singer voice*

101923 posted:

everything is contaminated by austerity

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Right wing trads freak out about architecture not interior design

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

buncha rich house havers itt

buy me a house assholes!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Crusty Nutsack posted:

buncha rich house havers itt

buy me a house assholes!

I got mine for $4000 from the demo list, I would not recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I went to a bar that has one of these and it was really weird because it was quite a small place that was run by very large russian men.

This owns though.