Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

also what is good interior design that's not extremely expensive? I grew up in a pretty typical looking 80s-90s suburban american single family townhouse and it looked like poo poo too
these are good + cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

also what is good interior design that's not extremely expensive? I grew up in a pretty typical looking 80s-90s suburban american single family townhouse and it looked like poo poo too
to give a more serious answer, it really depends on the place and the original house. a lot of old houses have really nice giant exposed wooden beams and framing with real stone floors or brick walls that are gorgeous on their own and can really do a lot without needing much. you'll see those more in europe and stuff. likewise old adobe housing are cool on their own and a more eclectic spanish or cuban interior design looks sick. generally though, housing like that in america is super duper expensive so at that point it really doesn't matter.

for most american tracthousing, the sheetrock flimsy paper house kinda sucks in general. there really isn't a lot you can do with that imo. i think the pergo laminate lego-flooring that people are sticking in their american houses really sucks and i'm not sure it's really an improvement over linoleum. i think the most feasible way to go is just eclectic poo poo you've picked up from various estate sales or whatever over the years and accumulated and try to have cozy warm lighting. i feel like lighting is one of the most important things and the warmer the colors, the nicer it is. but french kinda-cluttered cozycore is pretty cheap

that's also why "scandavanian minimalism-modern" stuff is so popular because it's very inexpensive and it's inoffensive. i, personally, don't like scandanavian interior design though (sorry zodium but u guys suck at it) just as a matter of taste.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

the only real choice I have is do I get the bargain bin knockoff or save up for the name brand pergo to replace my 9999 year old yellowed linoleum. I'll stand by the modern quasi-minimalism as a pretty good standard of interior design for most folks because it's cheap, mostly okay, and just acceptably fades into the background as soon as people start actually living their lives in those spaces.
yup. for the average american tracthouse/townhouse/whatever sprawl built in the last 60 years, that's pretty much all you can do: laminate faux-wood flooring and ikea-esque 'minimalism'

i have mixed feelings because i understand the underlying material conditions, but man it's also just so... impersonal and devoid, and yet so common. i really don't like it. i'd rather people not sweat "good interior design" or marie kondo-ing themselves into oblivion so much as just making a warm inviting cozy place to live n hang -- whatever it may be (or whatever ramshackle accumulaiton of odd-and-end things it's made out of).